Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 4,371

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

This is what Nintendo does. It's their fault for not showing more of their games (granted, I quite appreciate their not spoiling the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the story for their titles). Anyway, philosophy is interesting ;/

Japanese coverage has actually been pretty extensive. There's a thread on NeoGAF that I've been keeping up with, but it is a little spoilery. Couple hours worth of reading anyway, plus fully subbed videos of the Japanese Directs.

Clicky for the updates thread.
The Direct videos also have their own threads (1 2) with interesting discussions of their own.

Yeah, but I get it. We all know what X is; Xenoblade Chronicles, but new. I was talking more generally about Nintendo's internal series.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

Xenoblade is 100% internal, but yeah, it kind of breaks away from how Nintendo normally covers their games in pre-launch. Probably due to the scope.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Xenoblade is 100% internal, but yeah, it kind of breaks away from how Nintendo normally covers their games in pre-launch. Probably due to the scope.

Well, I mean, not in the traditional sense. 'Nintendo' didn't develop it, Mololith Soft, who they acquired, did. That's what I mean; that it wasn't 'Nintendo' SPD or EAD Group #.

shingi_70

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Well, I mean, not in the traditional sense. 'Nintendo' didn't develop it, Mololith Soft, who they acquired, did. That's what I mean; that it wasn't 'Nintendo' SPD or EAD Group #.

Once Nintendo bought them it's an internally developed game. Monolith Soft is Nintendo.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Haru17

shingi_70 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Once Nintendo bought them it's an internally developed game. Monolith Soft is Nintendo.

Look, they're called 'Monolith Soft'. They're an acquisition. They're not 'Nintendo' in the same way that Intelligent Systems and Game Freak aren't Nintendo. Their games are published and funded by 'Nintendo,' but they're not developed by 'Nintendo,' because 'Nintendo' refers to a specific collection of development teams in the Nintendo offices. Anyway, Nintendo obviously wants to keep these studios names distinct so why don't we respect that?

Edited on by Haru17

Dezzy

Seems pretty much arbitrary whether you call that internal or not. Monolithsoft could be in the building nextdoor but be largely based on long-term employees and never have Nintendo interfering with the creative process, in which case I'd consider them external.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CaviarMeths

IntSys is internal too. They branched off of R&D1 and became their own thing, but they are still absolutely an internally operated subsidiary of Nintendo, founded by Mr. Gunpei Yokoi himself.

But yeah, Monolith is definitely core Nintendo. Hell, they have an office right inside Nintendo's Tokyo building. Doesn't get much more "internal" than that...

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

crimsoncavalier

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I seem to have stumbled into the PHIL 110 message board.

This is what Nintendo does. It's their fault for not showing more of their games (granted, I quite appreciate their not spoiling the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the story for their titles). Anyway, philosophy is interesting ;/

I love philosophy. If I hadn't done psych I would have done philosophy. I just felt that psych had more employment options, if push came to shove. In the end, I decided law anyways, so it wouldn't have mattered..

TheLilK98 wrote:

I just hope we get SOME kind of decent marketing push in the west for once.

I'm hoping we see something. This is a game, that, if based on Xenoblade Chronicles, has the potential to be GOTY. I feel that they need to market it. But they probably won't. shrugs

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

Blast

I actually hope Nintendo is as vague as possible when it comes time to advertise for XCX. Just show Cross riding a mech, fighting, running in the pretty world, customization, and cool music. Don't give off the impression that XCX is a intimidating JRPG!!! JRPG fans on Wii U is already gonna buy this game. I mean... try market it like Mario Kart 8's advertising. I kinda want younger gamers to play this game and I bet some of those young kids are gonna be like, "WHOA!!!!!!!!! THIS IS PRETTY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Haru17

Blast wrote:

I actually hope Nintendo is as vague as possible when it comes time to advertise for XCX. Just show Cross riding a mech, fighting, running in the pretty world, customization, and cool music. Don't give off the impression that XCX is a intimidating JRPG!!! JRPG fans on Wii U is already gonna buy this game. I mean... try market it like Mario Kart 8's advertising. I kinda want younger gamers to play this game and I bet some of those young kids are gonna be like, "WHOA!!!!!!!!! THIS IS PRETTY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

That'll also rob the money of plenty of younger kids who won't enjoy XCX's style of gameplay.

CaviarMeths

I dunno, I was a kid who rented Final Fantasy 2 (as it was then called) when I was 6ish because I thought the name sounded cool. It was my first JRPG and one of the best decisions I ever made in gaming.

Another best decision was when I saw Final Fantasy Chronicles on the store shelf and bought it because I remembered liking FF2. Didn't even know that FF4 and FF2 were the same game. And that's how I discovered Chrono Trigger, the best game ever made.

Kids blind-buying JRPGs isn't the end of the world. Kids waste their parents' money all the time, and if some end up liking the genre and getting into it, that's great.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

Blast

CaviarMeths wrote:

I dunno, I was a kid who rented Final Fantasy 2 (as it was then called) when I was 6ish because I thought the name sounded cool. It was my first JRPG and one of the best decisions I ever made in gaming.

Another best decision was when I saw Final Fantasy Chronicles on the store shelf and bought it because I remembered liking FF2. Didn't even know that FF4 and FF2 were the same game. And that's how I discovered Chrono Trigger, the best game ever made.

Kids blind-buying JRPGs isn't the end of the world. Kids waste their parents' money all the time, and if some end up liking the genre and getting into it, that's great.

Exactly! This is the kind of stuff I mean. I just bet some young kids would experience XCX and be like, "I... I... REALLY LIKE THIS. I GOTTA SHOW MY FRIENDS. I GOTTA TELL THEM." The kids who don't like it... will eventually like it when they get older to understand it better I'm just saying... I think advertising would be wasted if Nintendo markets this game to people who are already gonna buy the game regardless. Yeah, I know XCX is gonna be a massive and awesome JRPG. I already plan on buying this. Now let's increase sales by welcoming potential newcomers and fans.

Master of the Hype Train

SomeBitTripFan

@Blast: Except that that's manipulation and no better than what various other mega-publishers do to sell copies of their games. Sell the game for what it is, not for cutscenes.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Blast

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@Blast: Except that that's manipulation and no better than what various other mega-publishers do to sell copies of their games. Sell the game for what it is, not for cutscenes.

Uhhh... that's not manipulation. Manipulation XCX in advertising would be like Nintendo pretended XCX was really a Mario game. Or marketing Splatoon in a Hollywood way like Call of Duty. My idea is just not to intimidate the vastly huge younger kids in Nintendo's Wii U base from XCX. Like I said, the people who wants XCX are already gonna buy it. Let's encourage the younger kids to give the game a chance, too. My idea for advertising isn't manipulation at all.

Master of the Hype Train

shingi_70

Its interesting were about a month out from the game and haven't heard anything about a Xenoblade Amiibo line or support.

I'm also hoping we get the Xenoblade Chronicles bundle here in America as well.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but FF2 and Xenoblade are hardly the same game, or even the same style of game. The combat and world are completely different in either game. Kids can buy what they want, but deceptive marketing is deceptive marketing. Just show what the game is, don't hide behind a marketing-constructed mystique. People will then buy it if they're into it.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

That'll also rob the money of plenty of younger kids who won't enjoy XCX's style of gameplay.

I was the 1 out of my main 5 friends who ended being seduced by Final Fantasy 7. We all bought it because of the crazy marketing. None of us had a clue what JRPGs were. And I was the only one who made it out of Midgar. I think the 4 of them wasting money once was worth my lifelong obsession with the series.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I was the 1 out of my main 5 friends who ended being seduced by Final Fantasy 7. We all bought it because of the crazy marketing. None of us had a clue what JRPGs were. And I was the only one who made it out of Midgar. I think the 4 of them wasting money once was worth my lifelong obsession with the series.

Do wax self-righteously about the virtues of deceptive marketing. Whatever the ends, the means are still dishonest.

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Do wax self-righteously about the virtues of deceptive marketing. Whatever the ends, the means are still dishonest.

Thanks, I will! I see it from the other end of the equation. We're never gonna purge the world of steak. Far easier for individuals to just learn critical thinking instead. Sadly a suggestion that most governments and schools tend to dislike.

Edited on by Eel

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic