Forums

Topic: Why is the Wii U's library so lauded?

Posts 101 to 120 of 308

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

You can't trust any game's quality pre release. Skyward Sword, Sticker Star, Yoshi's New Island, and Kirby Rainbow Curse were all received rather lackluster. Nintendo isn't infallible by any means.

Um, wut? http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-skywar...

To not get mostly 10/10 reviews a big Zelda game would have to literally murder the reviewer.

I'm just saying that perhaps 'manifest destiny' for Nintendo isn't the best strategy as consumers. Nintendo makes shovelware just like everyone else, did you see the direct?

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

Either there's some sort of vast conspiracy and everyone's under some sort of spell that deludes them into thinking Skyward Sword was great. Or it was actually great and Zelda games consistently get good reviews because they are consistently great. And the hyperbole doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look like an ass.

TBH I think you're doing what you see people do all the time for critically acclaimed stuff from every media. Like the dude who gives a scathing one-star review for OK Computer. Sure it's a matter of taste, this is all subjective. But you know the only reason someone would write a review like was to make themselves feel superior. "Look how cool I am, I don't like this thing that everyone else likes!". Well cool story bro, now excuse me while I get lost in Airbag

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

Lol, not everyone else likes Skyward Sword. It's obvious to many that there are some Nintendo games that are just low points; unremarkable games. Especially in a series as standout as 3D Zelda.

I never said it was bad, just not on par. No amount of name-calling will bully nor peer pressure me into ignoring the flaws I see in that game.

You do remember the original point here, right? That you shouldn't assume Nintendo games will always fulfill your expectations, especially pre release. That's a pretty obvious point IMO.

LzWinky

I think you're a bit confused here. Your opinions =/= everyone's opinions.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

I'm not confused, I'm just not stating the obvious, you've taken that upon yourself apparently. My point being that I'm hardly the only one that finds Skyward Sword, etc to be a Nintendo nadir.

Edited on by Haru17

HollywoodHogan

Haru17 wrote:

TingLz wrote:

I'm not confused, I'm just not stating the obvious, you've taken that upon yourself apparently. My point being that I'm hardly the only one that finds Skyward Sword, etc to be a Nintendo nadir.

For those who may not know

Nadir

The nadir (from Arabic: نظير‎ / ALA-LC: naẓīr, meaning "opposite") is the direction pointing directly below a particular location; that is, it is one of two vertical directions at a specified location, orthogonal to a horizontal flat surface there. Since the concept of being below is itself somewhat vague, scientists define the nadir in more rigorous terms. Specifically, in astronomy, geophysics and related sciences (e.g., meteorology), the nadir at a given point is the local vertical direction pointing in the direction of the force of gravity at that location. The direction opposite of the nadir is the zenith.

Nadir also refers to the downward-facing viewing geometry of an orbiting satellite, such as is employed during remote sensing of the atmosphere, as well as when an astronaut faces the Earth while performing a spacewalk.

The word is also used figuratively to mean the lowest point of a person's spirits, or the quality of an activity or profession.

Edited on by HollywoodHogan

Friend to all SJW's

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

TingLz wrote:

A low point for Zelda? Well you could make that argument if you want. I personally find it hard to pick which ones are "bad" given that they're all pretty fantastic. I'm sure you could find a lot of people who agree that it was a "low point" for Zelda. But for Nintendo? Well I think you're well out on your own with that one. And that wasn't even your point. Your initial point was that we are foolish for thinking this next Zelda will be great before we've played it. This despite the fact that a lot of people, and not just "fanatics", think every Zelda game is pretty fantastic. When every single one of them has been at least a 9/10 potential GOTY contender then there's reason for hype.

It's like we were all discussing how good the new Blur album might be (damn good I'd wager). Then you point to The Great Escape and people respond saying that sure, maybe it wasn't their best one but it's still good and they've been consistently good for a long time. Which you then come back saying that we are refusing to acknowledge that "many people" believe The Great Escape is a low point for music that has come out of the UK. Well ok then mister hyperbole, whatever you say.

Edited on by skywake

HollywoodHogan

skywake wrote:

It's like we were all discussing how good the new Blur album might be.

No one is doing this. It's 2015.

Untitled

And to remain on topic, Skyward Sword was lame but it wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Friend to all SJW's

Haru17

MasterBlaster wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

TingLz wrote:

For those who may not know

Nadir

The nadir (from Arabic: نظير‎ / ALA-LC: naẓīr, meaning "opposite") is the direction pointing directly below a particular location; that is, it is one of two vertical directions at a specified location, orthogonal to a horizontal flat surface there. Since the concept of being below is itself somewhat vague, scientists define the nadir in more rigorous terms. Specifically, in astronomy, geophysics and related sciences (e.g., meteorology), the nadir at a given point is the local vertical direction pointing in the direction of the force of gravity at that location. The direction opposite of the nadir is the zenith.

Nadir also refers to the downward-facing viewing geometry of an orbiting satellite, such as is employed during remote sensing of the atmosphere, as well as when an astronaut faces the Earth while performing a spacewalk.

The word is also used figuratively to mean the lowest point of a person's spirits, or the quality of an activity or profession.

/slowclap This is genuinely brilliant, 10/10, better than Skyward Sword.

Anyway, @skywake, I called it a 'Nintendo Nadir' for the alliteration, not because it was literally the worst game Nintendo ever made, obviously (hence 'a' not 'the'). I do think it was the worst in the 3D Zelda subseries, though. Simply by virtue of being an unremarkable game among the remarkable; a disappointment.

Edited on by Haru17

grumblebuzzz

I've not been super thrilled with the Wii U's library either, but I definitely feel in the minority. Super Mario 3D World is showered with praise, praise, praise by nearly everyone, but it gets a resounding "meh" from me. Played the whole game, got almost all the green stars, then stopped in the crown level because I realized that I just didn't care enough to finish it because the whole adventure had been so "blah". Same goes for Pikmin 3. I've tried twice to really get into that game, but aside from the "oooh, it's so pretty" HD factor, it just doesn't seem to live up to the previous entries in the series. Mario Kart 8 I was bored of after a weekend. Admittedly I haven't played much Bayonetta, but I did play the demo of 2 and it just isn't my kind of game. It's very "Xbox-y" to me. Really the only game that has impressed me long term on Wii U is surprisingly Smash Bros, which I cannot play online and therefore didn't even plan on buying.

Edited on by grumblebuzzz

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

skywake

MasterBlaster wrote:

skywake wrote:

Yes, "nobody"... and a few million of their friends. Ever consider there might be reason why they were on the tip of my tongue? Surely that info would have come up when you were googling a reaction image. Frankly I don't think there are any other comparisons that would have been more appropriate. If you can think of one you're more on the ball than I am

Haru17 wrote:

Anyway, @skywake, I called it a 'Nintendo Nadir' for the alliteration, not because it was literally the worst game Nintendo ever made, obviously (hence 'a' not 'the'). I do think it was the worst in the 3D Zelda subseries, though. Simply by virtue of being an unremarkable game among the remarkable; a disappointment.

Well perhaps next time say the accurate thing rather than the one that sounds nice but makes you sound like an idiot

Edited on by skywake

HollywoodHogan

skywake wrote:

MasterBlaster wrote:

skywake wrote:

Yes, "nobody"... and a few million of their friends

Wow! 1.3 millions views on YouTube in almost two whole months?!

Didn't the new Avengers trailer get like 35 million views in one day?

Ya. It's 2015. No one outside of the UK (and apparently their penal colony) really cares about Blur anymore. What a weird thing to compare a Zelda game to...

Friend to all SJW's

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Well perhaps next time say the accurate thing rather than the one that sounds nice but makes you sound like an idiot

You know what GET OUTTA TOWN because this here is fun town. I don't type text on the internet to be grammatically, dictionary-definition accurate. It's a type of artistic expression. Why write at all if you don't enjoy it?

And, man, do your salty tears taste so sweet. #raeg

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

grumblebuzzz wrote:

I've not been super thrilled with the Wii U's library either, but I definitely feel in the minority. Super Mario 3D World is showered with praise, praise, praise by nearly everyone, but it gets a resounding "meh" from me. Played the whole game, got almost all the green stars, then stopped in the crown level because I realized that I just didn't care enough to finish it because the whole adventure had been so "blah". Same goes for Pikmin 3. I've tried twice to really get into that game, but aside from the "oooh, it's so pretty" HD factor, it just doesn't seem to live up to the previous entries in the series. Mario Kart 8 I was bored of after a weekend. Admittedly I haven't played much Bayonetta, but I did play the demo of 2 and it just isn't my kind of game. It's very "Xbox-y" to me. Really the only game that has impressed me long term on Wii U is surprisingly Smash Bros, which I cannot play online and therefore didn't even plan on buying.

So if you're kinda lukewarm on Nintendo right now what are you looking forward to? This isn't a snark or criticism; I'm curious.

HollywoodHogan

@grumblebuzzz

I feel the same way as you. SM3DW was okay, but largely forgettable. Pikmin 3 was fun but I lost interest about half way though and stopped playing. Maybe I will complete it one day. MK8 was fun but I'm with you, nothing really draws me back to it. I've already put hundreds of hours into Mario Kart games since the SNES, and since the jump to 3D, they are all basically the same. I just can't do it anymore.

I see a lot of people saying "I've bought more Wii U games than I have for any system before!" but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact the user base here skews rather young. These may be people who are now old enough to work and who can buy their own games for the first time in their life.

Friend to all SJW's

skywake

MasterBlaster wrote:

Didn't the new Avengers trailer get like 35 million views in one day?

Ya. It's 2015. No one outside of the UK (and apparently their penal colony) really cares about Blur anymore. What a weird thing to compare a Zelda game to...

I think Blur is a better comparison. We're talking about things we won't be disappointed by remember?

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

You know what GET OUTTA TOWN because this here is fun town. I don't type text on the internet to be grammatically, dictionary-definition accurate. It's a type of artistic expression. Why write at all if you don't enjoy it?
And, man, do your salty tears taste so sweet. #raeg

I'm not the one using capslock

Edited on by skywake

Haru17

skywake wrote:

I'm not the one using capslock

Naw, shift m8. Shift is fun.

grumblebuzzz

Haru17 wrote:

So if you're kinda lukewarm on Nintendo right now what are you looking forward to? This isn't a snark or criticism; I'm curious.

I'm extremely excited for Zelda, but that excitement has now kind of turned into trepidation with the delay since I'm scared they're going to end up shifting it to their next console now. Yoshi's Wooly World looks like it could have the same adorable, laid-back charm that Kirby's Epic Yarn had, so I'm excited for that. Mario Maker also has great potential. I'm hesitantly excited for Splatoon, but I'm going to need to find out some more info on the single player element since the biggest part of the game seems to be based around playing online, which I can't do.

Basically all the upcoming games for Wii U look great to me; it's the earlier games that felt like lesser versions of games that came before them that I wasn't into as much. The early to mid Wii U lineup just seemed so rushed and lackluster to me.

Edited on by grumblebuzzz

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

UGXwolf

I just simply don't agree at all. First off, even if you consider Zelda 3D separately and think Skyward was the worst one, you're comparing it to four other games. Not exactly a cery large sample size.

And besides that, I personally think Ocarina of Time was the worst 3D Zelda. Sure it's the first one, loved by all, and so revolutionary to boot, but none of that actually makes it better. It's not actually that great of a game. Going back and playing it, now, it has not aged well at all. The game play feels more tedious than any other 3D Zelda, tge story and characterization are almost non-existent, it feels like there is exactly one side quest, aside from maybe exploring to find those heart pieces. And if a game takes 12 hours to "get to the good part," it's not a good game. Majora's Mask was better. WindWaker was better. Twilight Princess was arguably better. Skyward Sword was mcuh better.

Besodes that, if you're trying to make the point that the game could be bad, pointing out that the series has a worst game is a horrible way of going about it. Gee! I didn't know that the seties had games people liked less than other games in the series!

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

I think Ocarina of Time is the worst 3D Zelda after Skyward Sword because the mechanics are so basic. But I'd take even that gameplay, world, and story over Skyward Sword's bloated, confused pile of game every day.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.