Forums

Topic: Why is the Wii U's library so lauded?

Posts 121 to 140 of 308

skywake

Every time someone whines about a Zelda game part of the soundtrack of that game pops in my head. So when you say "Skyward Sword" I think "No that game was great, one of the few games I played just to soak it all in". Ocarina of time? "Well, no, I loved it". Link's Awakening? "literally the best thing ever. Those key changes... I mean, that ending". Spirit tracks? "yeah, it wasn't that great.... oh wait, no, yeah, now I remember it was pretty fantastic"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

I can't dig that midi flute in either Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks. The Wii's sound hardware and DS's speakers ruined it for me.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

"what in that post can I disagree with" - Haru 2015

CaviarMeths

Why am I not surprised to discover that this is yet another Haru thread about how Skyward Sword sucks? NintendoLife 2015: The Thread.

Anyway, Ocarina of Time still feels great to play, but I still think Wind Waker had the best combat mechanics. It took Ocarina's formula and added countering, disarming, and using enemy weapons. Certainly a more interesting addition to the formula than Twilight Princess's shounen anime finishing moves.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Why am I not surprised to discover that this is yet another Haru thread about how Skyward Sword sucks? NintendoLife 2015: The Thread.

Not 'sucks', I never said sucks, but meh, 7.5/10.

Anyway, I liked the Wind Waker's combat, but I liked how the hidden skills made the side roll and helm splitter counter moves manual more. Something about the flesh cutting animations in TP feel more satisfying than the Wind Waker to me. I don't know enough about frames, animation, and games design to pin down what that is. Combat in the Wind Waker felt... more like hitting baskets or cans that rattle than hitting flesh? I dunno, maybe something to do with the sound recording.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

Sound design is a huge part of atmosphere, definitely. That could be it. Wind Waker does have pretty weird sound effects, even given the playful, cartoony style of the game.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Dreamsleep

iKhan wrote:

I keep hearing "The Wii U has an amazing game library" or something along those lines. I keep hearing all these words of praise for the system's library. But I can't help but think that that praise only comes relative to the PS4 and XB1 having arguably the some of the worst first year game libraries [both platform (e.g. just PS4) and generation exclusives (e.g. PS4, XB1, PC, NO PS360)] in video game history.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Hyrule Warriors or Mario 3D World, but even putting my distaste for those games aside, relative to older Nintendo systems, the Wii U is still behind the curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Ni...

So is the Wii U really like the Dreamcast? Low selling but beloved due to great games? Or is it simply the least worst option in terms of game selection among the 8th gen home consoles.

Two games...X, and FE. Console of the century.

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Sound design is a huge part of atmosphere, definitely. That could be it. Wind Waker does have pretty weird sound effects, even given the playful, cartoony style of the game.

This is strange. I've always loved Minish Cap and thought the DS Zeldas were lacking. I didn't notice it at the time that Minish Cap actually uses some of the Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask sound effects for Link. That might be part of the reason I think that game feels so much better.

LzWinky

Lies and slander!

Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario Maker!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

This is strange. I've always loved Minish Cap and thought the DS Zeldas were lacking. I didn't notice it at the time that Minish Cap actually uses some of the Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask sound effects for Link. That might be part of the reason I think that game feels so much better.

Any issues for sound effects are irrelevant to me compared to Phantom Hourglass' stupid main dungeon gimmick and embarrassingly lacking music. So even if Spirit Tracks has issues, I genuinely really liked it because it fixed those problems (though Minish Cap is the best top-down Zelda barring Link's Awakening).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

kkslider5552000 wrote:

[Any issues for sound effects are irrelevant to me compared to Phantom Hourglass' stupid main dungeon gimmick and embarrassingly lacking music. So even if Spirit Tracks has issues, I genuinely really liked it because it fixed those problems (though Minish Cap is the best top-down Zelda barring Link's Awakening).

Fair call on the main dungeon in Phantom Hourglass but I think I still preferred it over Spirit Tracks. With Phantom Hourglass it was like Wind Waker, you could set sail for an island in the distance and just go there. People complained about the sailing when it came out but I actually really liked that part of the game. With Spirit Tracks it was a bit more like Skyward Sword, the different areas were just dots on a map and you felt a little bit more restricted in how you moved between them. At least with Skyward Sword the different areas were massive once you got there.

As I said earlier, they're all pretty great so everyone will have a different idea about which one isn't "the best"

Edited on by skywake

CaviarMeths

Every Zelda game is somebody's favorite, even Zelda 2. Really just speaks to the quality of the whole series.

UGXwolf

I just really couldn't stand not moving around with a control pad or joystick in the DS Zeldas. Spirit Tracks remains on my list as the ONLY Zelda I haven't tried, and it's because Phantom Hourglass turned me so far off with the movement alone that I just didn't even see the need.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

RR529

I actually really enjoyed the DS Zeldas (while we're on the topic). They're not my favorites but they were still good fun.

PH had the better boss fights of the two (with the Bellum fight being one of the best & most epic in the series, IMO. Even if it wasn't very interesting as a character), and the better mode of transportation.

While ST refined the touch controls, perfected the "central dungeon" idea, and had more interesting villains (though not near the best in the series as a whole).

I didn't care for the Anouki though. They have Gorons in pretty much every Zelda game (including these two), so why are the Zoras always so scarce?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

skywake wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

[Any issues for sound effects are irrelevant to me compared to Phantom Hourglass' stupid main dungeon gimmick and embarrassingly lacking music. So even if Spirit Tracks has issues, I genuinely really liked it because it fixed those problems (though Minish Cap is the best top-down Zelda barring Link's Awakening).

Fair call on the main dungeon in Phantom Hourglass but I think I still preferred it over Spirit Tracks. With Phantom Hourglass it was like Wind Waker, you could set sail for an island in the distance and just go there. People complained about the sailing when it came out but I actually really liked that part of the game. With Spirit Tracks it was a bit more like Skyward Sword, the different areas were just dots on a map and you felt a little bit more restricted in how you moved between them. At least with Skyward Sword the different areas were massive once you got there.

As I said earlier, they're all pretty great so everyone will have a different idea about which one isn't "the best"

I honestly would not be able to tell you why traveling on the overworld rarely annoyed me in Spirit Tracks tbh. It probably should have but it mostly didn't.

I know I've said this before but people who complain about Zelda being too samey are silly and should be ignored. A 1,000,000+ things go into making a game work even in terms of things you can directly tell just from playing and seeing it, trying to turn that into "YOU DID THE SWORD AND HOOKSHOT THING, TOTES THE SAME" is dumb when people can argue forever on which games did the things the best or not.

TuVictus

Reading this thread has made me realize that I don't really love the Wii U as much as I thought I did. The games it does have are all very beautiful and well made, but there hasn't been a single game that has blown me away like the Galaxy games, Skyward Sword, or Metroid Prime 3. I'd say Pikmin 3 is the best game on the console in my opinion. Everything else is just sort of alright. I'm hoping Starfox, Xenoblade, or a potential metroid will change my mind.

TuVictus

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Any issues for sound effects are irrelevant to me compared to Phantom Hourglass' stupid main dungeon gimmick and embarrassingly lacking music. So even if Spirit Tracks has issues, I genuinely really liked it because it fixed those problems (though Minish Cap is the best top-down Zelda barring Link's Awakening).

I mean, no, how the combat feels is hardly a side issue in a combat heavy game. I wouldn't have minded the central dungeon if any of the dungeons were decent, but they were all made in RPG maker so :/

Edited on by Haru17

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I mean, no, how the combat feels is hardly a side issue in a combat heavy game. I wouldn't have minded the central dungeon if any of the dungeons were decent, but they were all made in RPG maker so :/

I've enjoyed dungeons in RPG Maker games so :/

Haru17

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I've enjoyed dungeons in RPG Maker games so :/

Perhaps, but this:

Untitled

does not this:

Untitled

or even this make:

Untitled

skywake

@Haru17
You can't just grab a screenshot off the internet and say "this is proof the puzzles are easy". Especially when just last page your complaint was that Skyward Sword was Zelda's (even Nintendo's) low point. Leaves you open to me posting stuff like this...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.