Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 4,881 to 4,900 of 15,210

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

I think it would be neat if picking and eating apples didn't even do anything, it was just an idle animation that happens when you auto-ride Epona under a tree. Would be a nice "atmospheric" touch.

High-speed. Apple. Picking. Parkour.

You're riding breakneck through the plain, being chased by bulbins on half a heart when you ride under a tree and grab an apple, restoring your health.

I hope apple picking is a timed contextual button press when you're riding underneath a tree, just like the counter attack in the Wind Waker.

Nintendo has always taken inspiration from Hollywood and Disney. In keeping with this I hope there's a random chance for each apple to put you to sleep, entering a coma quest ala Snow White. What that would look like:

You're riding breakneck through the plain, being chased by bulbins on half a heart when you ride under a tree and grab an apple aaand—slump off of your horse, falling to the ground, asleep.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

That explains the apple talk.

Holy— Well played, QUALITY PUN!

LzWinky

Apple talk? Oh dear, Zelda on mobile CONFIRMED!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Therad

MegaMari0 wrote:

Oranges FTW. dat Vitamin C.

Heretic! We have never had orange trees in Zelda, don't you dare trying to force your pc views into Anoumas art!

Therad

Therad

Crafting? How could they do it? If we want to talk about something besides fruit...

Or classes? Do you think a class system could work in zelda? Or something like a skill tree? So you could specialize on certain aspects of the game?

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Haru17

Therad wrote:

Crafting? How could they do it? If we want to talk about something besides fruit...

Or classes? Do you think a class system could work in zelda? Or something like a skill tree? So you could specialize on certain aspects of the game?

I think those are two RPG systems that just don't work in Zelda. The upgrades we've seen are too few and two useless to matter at all. The ALBW ones worked for combat, but good Zelda games never put the challenge in the combat, but rather in the puzzles.

Therad

@Haru17: but crafting at least could be puzzles you need to solve. A crafting system could also use the gamepad in a good way.

Therad

Haru17

Therad wrote:

@Haru17: but crafting at least could be puzzles you need to solve. A crafting system could also use the gamepad in a good way.

You mean, like, static, 2D block puzzles? Sounds kinda weak, Zelda's puzzles have always been based around cool environmental interactions.

Haiassai

Haru17 wrote:

Therad wrote:

I think those are two RPG systems that just don't work in Zelda. The upgrades we've seen are too few and two useless to matter at all. The ALBW ones worked for combat, but good Zelda games never put the challenge in the combat, but rather in the puzzles.

I don't see why that couldn't work. I think the class system would ruin Zelda, but crafting: not at all. As long as Link isn't the one being upgraded, the game's integrity would sustain itself. Crafting would be fine. What I would love is if there are choices that Link makes via dialogue that alters the game as a whole. Maybe not to the extent of Mass Effect, but going beyond what Skyward Sword did.

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

Haru17

Yeah, but what does crafting actually do and how does that not diminish the impact of getting new items from dungeons?

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

shaneoh wrote:

There was crafting of sorts in skyward sword

Yes, and it was half-implimented and useless. Hence the discussion.

Kinan wrote:

I think before we can answer that question, we would need to first answer the question why crafting in the first place. What value does it add to Zelda gameplay? These are games built around exploration and as you point out yourself, interaction with the environment.

Sure, you could add it, and then give the player a basic item which they then need to upgrade with supplies they find in the next dungeon or in the overworld. But then I have to wonder, will that make the game more fun?

That's what I was getting at. It certainly doesn't seem central to the experience.

CaviarMeths

Gem socketing.

/triggers Haru

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Gem socketing.

/triggers Haru

How 'bout puzzles, story, a bit of combat, and exploring a world?

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Gem socketing.

/triggers Haru

What? No. Ew. There's no room for any of that in a game where an upgrade system also exists.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Gem socketing.

/triggers Haru

What? No. Ew. There's no room for any of that in a game where an upgrade system also exists.

...But gem socketing is trash fir rul, mate. Get that Xenowow garbage outta here.

Nicolai

Sure, we can have crafting and skills in Zelda, or not, I don't really care.

(sigh), can we go back to talking about apples again? Or how about we talk about what swimming is gong to be like! We could have it overly encumbering, like in most games, or we could have the ridiculous spinny thing we got in Skyward Sword! One of the best things in Zelda, however, is how swimming starts off as being really limiting at first, but you gain items that create that liberating feeling of fluency in the water, like Iron Boots, Zora Scales, Flippers, etc.

P.S. The spinny thing in Skyward Sword actually felt more encumbering at times, because it was admittedly pretty hard to keep track of where you were going, and being propelled forward really fast didn't help. But a little difficulty never hurt anyone.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@Nicolai: Simple solution, go Wind Waker-style; water = death. No reason to worry about clunky swimming controls.

Octane

Nicolai

@Octane: What about cool underwater grotto exploration? They should have it at least for optional exploration. Besides, I like it when items give you the ability to explore places you weren't normally able to go. Iron boots = underwater, Hookshot = rooftops, Hover boots = large gaps, Deku Leaf = Sky, etc. Those are always the best items, especially when their usefulness is littered all across the landscape. I sure hope they do that with Zelda U, with the world being so huge this time.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@Nicolai: I was joking, I'd love to see an underwater section, as long as the controls are decent.

I've never been a big fan of the hover boots, they were too unrealistic and too situational. Hookshot and iron boots are a given I think and the hookshot already replaces the hover boots to an extent. We've seen some sort of sail cloth / deku leaf, so that one is guaranteed as well and can also be used to cross gaps. If you can climb every mountain in the game, I'm sure at least the sail cloth is going to be useful.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic