Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 15,210

Haru17

BieberBlows wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Zelda is a game about exploring ancient ruins; solving puzzles and defeating monsters to delve deeper. Finding hidden treasures and using them as items only makes sense; that's why A Link Between Worlds was one of the worst 2D Zeldas, because it wrecked the progression.

So you want Zelda to be more linear? You want to end up with a bunch of useless items like in TP? I don't think the renting system is the best system ever, but it helped break the trend of strict linearity.

Twilight Princess items all had uses to discover secrets out in the world. That's more than I can say for Skyward Sword's slightly bigger bug net, shield that is stronger than the one that never broke to begin with, or machine gun slingshot that's still useless after you get the bow so who cares.

People need to get over using linearity as a buzzword. Even a totally linear Zelda isn't like The Last of Us because you can revisit other areas of the world, find secrets, and activities other than the main quest.

What everyone needs to realize and accept is that a game based around puzzles is going to have large, linear segments. Namely the dungeons. That and the linear gameplay is good if it is good gameplay to begin with, linearity be damned.

Don't even start with 'but Nintendo can make nonlinear dungeons, they can make nonlinear puzzles, and nonlinear items nonlinearly crafted in a nonlinear way' because every divergent point, every alternate path is just as much more work. So they're not going to make nonlinear everything just because people always whine about it because that isn't the game Zelda is.

Who knows if a nonlinear open world will make Zelda feel adventurous like... the mythical game everyone keeps in their minds to convince themselves that every game should be open world, or aimless and slow, like Skyrim without the richly conceived world and lore.

And if Zelda U ends up with a nothing plot it's 100% the fault of nonlinearity and the open world.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

GrailUK

I agree with Haru17. Linear gameplay can create a journey for a player. Open world can lead to aimless wandering about. I am so excited about the new game.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

I think I agree with @Haru17. There's a first for everything I guess.

Nicolai wrote:

Octane wrote:

I honestly doubt it's going to be the "open world" everyone is expecting. If I had to guess, it's going to be Wind Waker on land, without loading times.

Linearity can be a good thing. I'd like to see some progression of difficulty.

On your first point, that's precisely what my definition of open-world was five years ago, and I still think that a huge landscape without loading times alone is cool even if it doesn't have everything every other open-world game has. It would be nice to see plenty of towns and cities, which I think there will be, if they're going so far as to put farmers in the fields.

On your second point, that's where I thought ALBW was lacking. I don't think non-linearity has to mean a flat difficulty curve. The original Legend of Zelda had levels 5-7 being much harder than levels 1-3, and that game worked just fine. The player was told which level he was on, so he knew that if he stumbled on level 7 early in the game, he was up against a real challenge. Part of the problem of ALBW is that it was non-linear, but you didn't really feel like it mattered what order you did them in.

I know it's possible, but knowing Nintendo I doubt they're going to make the hardest dungeon / level available from the beginning. Some options would be fine though, like in Wind Waker: The Earth and the Wind Temple, honestly there was little difference in difficulty and it wouldn't have affected the story either if the order was optional. I wouldn't have a problem if there was a choice between the those two. But I think that some linearity in dungeon order is almost necessary if the game is going to have more than just a simple story. Again, I think it'll end up as a Wind Waker on land, but I'd be completely happy if it did.

Octane

ricklongo

Haru17 wrote:

People need to get over using linearity as a buzzword. Even a totally linear Zelda isn't like The Last of Us because you can revisit other areas of the world, find secrets, and activities other than the main quest.

A million times this.

I've been playing Majora's Mask 3D, which is completely linear as far as dungeons go, but I never once felt like I was forced to go a way or another, due to the sheer amount of compelling sidequests.

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

Gamecubed

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, it's been delayed. No Zelda. No Uncharted 4. What do I have left to be excited about?

Edited on by Gamecubed

Gamecubed

shingi_70

Halo 5 I guess.

Also TOLD YOU SO!

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

TuVictus

Well fudgesickles. Miyamoto seemed pretty confident it was this year. It's a shame, but for the best

TuVictus

Spoony_Tech

I've been saying if any title could slip to 16 this would be it. I'm not too bother by it but what now will be the big end of the year title? Will they hold XCX back till then or do they have another unannounced title up their sleeves?!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Jacob717

Ah well, 2016 it seems. This also rules out the possibilities of DLC, because they're delaying it so they can put in new ideas they thought of.

Also, some of you said, it will be delayed because of development issues. Well you're still wrong, they're delaying it, so they can add in new ideas.

Jacob717

TuVictus

It also seems they won't even show it at E3? http://i.imgur.com/6vEktzU.png

I'm thinking winter 2016 now.

And...that's just rough. I hope it releases sooner than that

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Electricmastro

At least I don't have to wait and use my $40 Gamestop gift card for this year on Zelda Wii U. I'll just use it for something else then, like a PS3, so I can play games like Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

shingi_70

The NOA twitter account tweeted that the game won't even be at E3 this year.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

RedDevilAde

Oh well, it's now coming out during the 30th anniversary year for LOZ, there'll probably be a big fanfare celebrating that at release.

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

Electricmastro

luisesteban wrote:

Sad news.

It's also happy news because this tells me that the team would like to take their time with it rather than just push out a half-good job. They could release it now and it would still probably sell millions of copies like previous Zelda games have done, but no, they expect no less than their very best on Zelda Wii U.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Jacob717

No E3? So does that rule out the game coming before June 2016?

Jacob717

CaviarMeths

Looks like I have a big dish of crow to eat!

I am sad.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Blast

Not even E3?! How embarrassing!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm just confused on how anyone could think they wouldn't show a trailer at E3 in the first place. It's basically been confirmed since last year that Zelda was gonna be their big game for this year. I mean, it's also possible that Beyond Good and Evil 2 and the Last Guardian will both show up at E3 this year and come out in the same week this year, but...I don't think I would count on that. Same way I don't count on being struck by lightning.

Well crap...um...

I guess I should get ready for Beyond Good and Evil 2 in that case!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic