Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 27,917

SomeBitTripFan

@2Sang: By no means is she the worst person, and I'm interested to see her mechanics, but there are so many other options that Nintendo could be taking. I hate when characters are only put into something for fanservice, but the actual character is lost in translation. Rosalina has seemed to suffer from this.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

OdnetninAges

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Original Rosalina
Untitled
Notice how solemn and reserved she is. Compare it to this:
Untitled
Does it not seem to contrast everything established by the previous games?

OH WOW

HER HAIR IS DIFFERENT

I didn't notice that before.

(By the way, I do agree a little bit. She's much more energetic in, say, Mario Kart than she was in SMG.)

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

Mickey

Rosalina has been noticeably more hyper since the Galaxy games. Though that's probably because She's just excited about doing all these new and exciting things.

Wonder_Mask wrote:

Mickey wrote:

Wonder_Mask wrote:

@Dreamy Well considering she'll be taking up valuable roster space, yes, I am unhappy. I could ignore her if I knew that more unique and actually interesting characters other than a Peach lookalike would make it in.

I'm sorry, Mask, I know you're upset, but the Ice Climbers just aren't going to make the cut. Neither will Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B.. If you cry yourself to sleep tonight, it's okay. We'll understand.

I'm just gonna stop this before people get more derogatory towards me and my opinions. Good day.

I'm sorry for saying what I had to say in such an abrasive manner, Wonder_Mask. I hope there's no hard feelings.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

Shirma_Akayaku

CapnPancakes wrote:

@Wonder_Mask
What's with all the hate on Rosalina man? Even if you don't like the character, her moveset looks pretty unique and she should be fun to try out.

Don't dwell on his comment too much... I've witnessed many people get like this, many of which are Nintendo fans. To me it's almost like a phase.
People got upset when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed. Now she's been accepted a whole lot more. But in Rosalina's case, she's a character that some wished she was playable, or at least a costume for Peach, while others hope the opposite. Yet that happens with any other character that's wanted by others. I could wish for Daisy to be playable, or at least be a "correct" costume for Peach, but if it doesn't happen, myself and other people will have to accept that. Ultimately, it's Mr.Masahiro's decision to what's going to be in the game.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

LzWinky

@OdnetninAges Would you not be more energetic if you go from an observatory to a kart race?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Late

It's kind of funny how Rosalina appearing in Super Mario 3D World made her somehow being everywhere. After that people started to be against her appearing in Smash because she already got so much attention. Sure she was in Mario Kart (and returns in MK8 too) but I wouldn't say that makes her gaining too much attention. I personally like Rosalina as a character and her moveset. Can't wait to try playing as her.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Shirma_Akayaku

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@2Sang: By no means is she the worst person, and I'm interested to see her mechanics, but there are so many other options that Nintendo could be taking. I hate when characters are only put into something for fanservice, but the actual character is lost in translation. Rosalina has seemed to suffer from this.

This in a way, is what I assume people are hating her for. That's where I think the dislike for Rosalina lingers.
I hate it too when characters are put in for merely fan service sometimes, but think when Nintendo characters are made and we are not accustomed to seeing them often, once they become more prominent, most come to accept them. An example is Honey Queen and Wiggler from Mario Kart 7. Nearly everyone was okay with Wiggler being playable, but almost everyone despised Honey Queen. This can show that Wiggler was accepted more because he is seen pretty often in Mario games, while Honey Queen was the complete opposite.

A question for all of you...
Recall a time when you felt upset or had a strong dislike towards a Nintendo/Mario game because it had something completely new or changed to it?
Example:
Most people hated the idea of Mario going from 2D to 3D when Super Mario 64 was made, but now it's called one of the best games in history.
I don't know if that is the best example I can use right now, but the whole latter of this is just to try and show why these things occur and why we don't notice them as much. All in all, it's still a phase to me.

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

SomeBitTripFan

@Rosalina: You must have misread my comment. I have no hatred for Rosalina, but the fact that her recent appearances have been so out of character. Rosalina was such an interesting character, now she just lacks that. Did you notice the little eye-roll in the first gif DestinyMan posted? Or that every picture on the Smash website tries to make her seem like a ditz? She just feels shoehorned in. It isn't the same Rosalina. It's more-so that I don't like her portrayal, not her character.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Shirma_Akayaku

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@Rosalina: You must have misread my comment. I have no hatred for Rosalina, but the fact that her recent appearances have been so out of character. Rosalina was such an interesting character, now she just lacks that. Did you notice the little eye-roll in the first gif DestinyMan posted? Or that every picture on the Smash website tries to make her seem like a ditz? She just feels shoehorned in. It isn't the same Rosalina. It's more-so that I don't like her portrayal, not her character.

First off, sorry, I meant to quote 2Sang only. My mistake. Would it be fine if I fix it?

EDIT: Let me rephrase my words more carefully.
Second, I understand what you mean. This problem happens because unlike most Mario characters, she has a story to her that shows who she really is. Because she started out this way, adjusting her personality/portrayal in subtle ways would be really noticeable among the Mario crowd. I don't know if you're right about her lacking character, but I think it's just her portrayal changing. She was a lot more quiet and reserved, in Galaxy, but now she's changing to fit that "Mario character uniform" which allows her to be in many games.

OLD:
Second, I understand what you mean. This problem happens because unlike most Mario characters, she has a story to her that show who she really is. Because she started out this way, adjusting her personality in subtle ways would be really noticeable among the Mario crowd. I don't know if you're right about her lacking character, but I think it's just her character changing. She was a lot more quiet and reserved, in Galaxy, but now she's changing to fit that "Mario character uniform" which allows her to be in many games.

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

Eel

It could be that partying and racing with Mario and friends has helped her become more outgoing and friendlier... Ya know, be too much time around Peach and some of her ditsy-ness will probably get in your system...

Yay for spinoff-induced character development!

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Shirma_Akayaku

Morpheel wrote:

It could be that partying and racing with Mario and friends has helped her become more outgoing and friendlier... Ya know, be too much time around Peach and some of her ditsy-ness will probably get in your system...

Yay for spinoff-induced character development!

I agree.
At first, we've seen Rosalina in a more reserved, quiet type of personality, but that doesn't mean that's all her personality is. But I'm starting to think, does Rosalina seem more quiet and distant than she really is? Sure, we see how she is in her storybook with a more fun, happy look, but that was only when she was a child (leading up to teens, possibly). But who's really to say that she hasn't changed? I think while playing Mario Galaxy and not really seeing her that much stretches that distant quiet personality she seems to have. I think Nintendo is showing off who she is, more than skewing her personality.
UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Kart 7

JetForceSetGrind

Ha, smart of you to bring up the story book. You've got the "she shouldn't smile" people in a corner. Not like she kept 15 feet away from Mario/Luigi and the Lumas. She's a Nintendo princess!

JetForceSetGrind

Pootypie

I don't know what's so bad about having a lot of Mario reps. If it makes the roster more fun, and bigger then I'm fine with it.

Pootypie

Switch Friend Code: SW-4862-0398-5013 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-3100-0796 | My Nintendo: Pootypie | Nintendo Network ID: BlueMario1998

Romeo

since there was no chance of them ever adding Lara Croft to this game... i'm glad they added Rosalina!
sooo looking forward to this game, most anticipated 2014-game easily

excited to see which characters they'll introduce next....
what do you think is more likely... Q3 or Q4 2014?

Romeo

LyIa

Rosalina...
I'm shedding tears. The manliest tears.

Of joy, mind you.

all men are kings 👑

MegaStoneSmash91

I'm quite pleased with Rosalina's addition. She looks like a fantastic character to play as, it's just a shame she's receiving some hate the same way Wii Fit Trainer did. Every single new reveal, veteran conformation, or interesting little tidbit get me a bit more pumped for these games. Perhaps I like them too much!

Also, I know it isn't technically new, but 3 more items are confimed with the Rosalina trailer. The Green Shell, Fire Flower, and Poke Ball were all present. It's not surprising in the least, but still good to know.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

cookiex

High five!

Untitled

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Snagrio

I also think part of the reason Rosalina isn't getting the warmest of welcomes is because of the trailer. For the whole first third it looks more like something for Kirby/Mario Kart, then quickly shifts to Rosalina. The bait and switch nature of that scene kinda made a lot of people disappointed.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic