Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 22,941 to 22,960 of 27,917

Gridatttack

Squid wrote:

So I've heard that Shovel Knight is doing fairly well in the US ballot, being the highest requested indie character so far.

Problem is, he probably doesn't have a shot due to being almost unknown in Japan. But with Japanese localization coming soon, maybe his popularity could take off there, too! I'm not sure how popular indie games are in Japan though, but maybe he could get a boost in votes and increase his chances of being considered.

The same thing happened with Roy and Marth, and yet, they were included.
Im sure something similar could happen here.

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

Tsuchinoko

Squid wrote:

So I've heard that Shovel Knight is doing fairly well in the US ballot, being the highest requested indie character so far.

Problem is, he probably doesn't have a shot due to being almost unknown in Japan. But with Japanese localization coming soon, maybe his popularity could take off there, too! I'm not sure how popular indie games are in Japan though, but maybe he could get a boost in votes and increase his chances of being considered.

Indies in Japan? Not very. I really never hear about them. And even when non-japanese indies get released here they're never really promoted.

And the Japanese release isn't happening soon, its only being confirmed to happen. Its a long process in Japan, and Yacht said they still have a way to go. Problem is, given how long it could take, the release could happen well into or even after the ballot.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

IceClimbers

My top 10 DLC character choices? Well, other than Mewtwo, Lucas, and seemingly Roy and Ryu, I mainly want these characters:

1. King K Rool
2. Inkling
3. Isaac
4. Shantae
5. Bomberman
6. Simon Belmont
7. Shovel Knight
8. Banjo Kazooie
9. Rayman
10. Wonder Red

Honorable mentions: Reckless Silhouette Guy, Captain N, Captain Rainbow, Dixie Kong, Bayonetta, Klonoa, and Chibi Robo.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Tsuchinoko

Gridatttack wrote:

Squid wrote:

The same thing happened with Roy and Marth, and yet, they were included.
Im sure something similar could happen here.

That is not even close to the same thing. Fire Emblem is a Nintendo creation, from Japan. Its an internal property. Roy was even put into Smash before his game came out as early promotion. Shovel Knight is a property by an outside company, foreign and unknown to Japan and presumably most of Nintendo, and has yet to appear on a Nintendo console.

IceClimbers

Went to go see if Shantae has ever been released in Japan at some point, ended up finding out that Pirates Curse is coming to Steam on Friday.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Tsuchinoko

IceClimbers wrote:

Went to go see if Shantae has ever been released in Japan at some point, ended up finding out that Pirates Curse is coming to Steam on Friday.

But on a Nintendo console? No. At this moment, the only indie character that could be put into Smash by the Japanese vote is Quote from Cave Story, but even he is not getting votes in large numbers here.

Now, there is one scenario I see that could get Shovel Knight in Smash. Sakurai and co. look at the amount of votes he is getting based on the western vote and decide he is worthy even though he's not getting Japanese votes. Its not impossible. Just don't expect Japanese votes to help much even if the game is released in summer/fall.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf

No one really expects Japan to vote non-Nintendo, given Japan's apparent affinity for Nintendo. (Speaking as someone looking in from the outside. Far be it for me to act like I know more about Japan than an actual resident, I'm just telling you what we see.) That said you've forgotten a few possibilities. For one, they may select the character they see the most noteworthy arguments for, and not the character that gets the most votes. Obviously, there still needs to be enough votes to justify the cost of development, but generally speaking, most characters will get enough support, anyways, since most Smashers I know will download just about any character they release. Secondly, Sakurai/Namco/Nintendo may see the intense popularity overseas and see it as an opportunity to get Shovel Knight over there in Japan some popularity. Essentially helping each other out. There's also the possibility that NA could just crush the Japanese vote with sheer numbers. It's still unclear just how far out this vote is reaching, and if there's anything to take away from last generation, is that's there's an insane amount of potential buyers for a system. This means people ARE paying attention, and there's no reason to think millions won't vote from each region. This goes tenfold, given the amount of publicity this has gotten from third parties practically begging to get their characters featured in Smash.

My main point is the same as it has always been: Don't count anyone out, at this stage (aside from non-video game characters, as it's more or less been stated that video game characters are the only ones being considered.) There are a lot of characters that have a fighting chance, and as we don't know how they're gonna go about selecting characters, there's no telling who will actually get in.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Tsuchinoko

Morpheel wrote:

I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight has appeared on Nintendo consoles.

He has not. This upcoming release would be his Japanese Nintendo debut.

But @UGXWolf brings up some good points. We've been surprised before, and if Sakurai see something in Shovel Knight that they think would be a good fit for Smash, then they'll make it happen.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

Eel

I'm super sure it even was a Nintendo exclusive for a while.

Unless you strictly mean "in Japan". In that case I guess you're right.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tsuchinoko

Morpheel wrote:

Unless you mean "in Japan". In that case I guess you're right.

Yeah, we're talking about Japan.

Now, don't think I don't want Shovel Knight, the game. I've heard great things and want to try it out. So many indie releases pass Japan by though. All that time and red tape it takes to release a foreign made game here makes it difficult I guess, especially for indie companies.

Seeing this situation makes me see an indie character in Smash as unlikely, and even third party characters aren't anywhere in the top in Japan for the ballot.

If he and the game are as good as you all say, then I'd support it too, its just nowhere around here yet.

Gridatttack

Tsuchinoko wrote:

That is not even close to the same thing. Fire Emblem is a Nintendo creation, from Japan. Its an internal property. Roy was even put into Smash before his game came out as early promotion. Shovel Knight is a property by an outside company, foreign and unknown to Japan and presumably most of Nintendo, and has yet to appear on a Nintendo console.

>foreign and unknown
We were the same with fire emblem as it was Japan only. So the point still stands. We didnt know where did they came from until we read the trophies and then played the localized games.

Also, shovel knight HAS been released on a nintendo console, the wii u a 3ds. Perhaps not for Japan, but they have been released

Edited on by Gridatttack

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

Rexcalibr

I am starting to use Dark Pit and Pit a lot now. They're starting to become some of my favorites even though they're almost the same. They're two of the best at grabbing and have a lot of range with their grabs. They also have great speed.

Rexcalibr

NintendoFan64

Nintenbomba128 wrote:

What are your Top 10 SSB DLC Characters and Stages?

Characters(in no particular order):
-Wolf
-King K. Rool
-Rayman
-Shovel Knight
-Ice Climbers (If they get them to work right, that is...)
-Roy (With the recent leaks, it's possible)
-Pichu
-Inkling
-Snake
-A Kirby character (I don't care who, really)
Stages (In no particular order):
-Fourside
-Fountain of Dreams
-New Pork City
-Dreamland
-Saffron City
-Big Blue
-Brinstar Depths
-Peach's Castle (64)
-Hyrule Castle
-That Dr. Mario stage that was supposed to be in.
-And, if we're really lucky, the Metal Mario stage.
I'd be happy with any of them showing up, really. I don't care which.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

HistoricKombat

Morpheel wrote:

Nope. Shovel Knight was also released on PC along side with the Wii U and 3DS versions.

HistoricKombat

veeflames

OK, so I fought against a Sonic opponent, and it didn't go down too well. That B attack! And his AERIAL Up-A! I tried stopping the B attack with my neutral A, but it only worked a few times.
Tips, anyone?

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

veeflames

Tarrazu wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

OK, so I fought against a Sonic opponent, and it didn't go down too well. That B attack! And his Up-A! I tried stopping the B attack with my neutral A, but it only worked a few times.
Tips, anyone?

It depends on who your playing as.

Kirby.

God first.

MegaMari0

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Tarrazu wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

OK, so I fought against a Sonic opponent, and it didn't go down too well. That B attack! And his Up-A! I tried stopping the B attack with my neutral A, but it only worked a few times.
Tips, anyone?

Kirby.

I suggest you go to youtube and search "smash 4 Kirby guide: Art of kirby"

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

veeflames

munchakoopas wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Tarrazu wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Tips, anyone?

Kirby.

Hey, thanks! I've only started watching the video, but I can see that Izaw's Kirby game is a bit similar to mine, but I've learnt new stuff!

God first.

MegaMari0

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

munchakoopas wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Tarrazu wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Tips, anyone?

Kirby.

Hey, thanks! I've only started watching the video, but I can see that Izaw's Kirby game is a bit similar to mine, but I've learnt new stuff!

No problem. Thanks to that video I can cope with some of you kirby players now haha.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic