Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 4,601 to 4,620 of 14,636

Rexcalibr

jariw wrote:

Rexcalibr wrote:

I've been thinking about getting this. I'll be honest, the characters don't appeal to me but the game has gotten great reviews and it's supposed to be one of the best games on the Wii U.

Would you guys say you like this or Mario Kart 8 more?

I read that you're getting it soon, but here are my comparison with MK8:

• MK8 basically works in the same way as the older MK games, Splatoon is something new (obviously).
  • Although Splatoon has single player and Battle Dojo, Splatoon absolutely requires online play (and a good online connection) for longevity, while MK8 can be enjoyed locally for long periods of time.
  • MK8 has much more content in terms of different courses and environment, while Splatoon always stick to its own Inkopolis environment.
  • The map you run on in MK8 is static, the map you play on in Splatoon is ever-changing depending on the ink coverage.
  • MK8 only requires a total mastery of a map on 200cc, Splatoon requires total mastery of all maps (and every inch of a map).
  • Maps in MK8 are looking the same regardless of playing mode (except Mirror mode), many Splatoon's maps have some important added elements only available in some modes.
  • MK8 is based very much on random items and luck and keeping the race even/exciting, while Splatoon is based on skill and tactics.
  • The way MK8 changes when you select a character/car only slightly affect how you play the game, changing the gear or weapon in Splatoon dramatically changes how you will approach the game.
  • MK8 let the player choose maps to a much higher degree. Splatoon let you know the maps that will be played during a time slot, and you need to adapt the weapon and gear to best suit those 2 maps.
  • To me, Splatoon is more addictive. The "just one more match" feeling is much more toxic than in MK8.

It's probably best to not compare it with MK8. These are essentially 2 very different games.

Personally, one of the things I like the most is the random-team-without-voice-chat feature, since handling that is also a "skill". And in the matches when you actually are understanding each other without any communication other than the gameplay, it's fantastic! Adapting to other players' abilities and disabilities is, in a good way, a constant challenge to me, but OTOH one bad player or disconnect in a match (with otherwise perfect matchmaking) will ruin the match.

Thanks for your input. I will post my thoughts this weekend after playing it.

Rexcalibr

OorWullie

Just started Splatoon for a few games before the update lands,got to the lobby went to start a Ranked Battle and got prompted to go to Wii U menu to update.So updating now

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Spoony_Tech

@DiscoGentleman: That's not even the same stage anymore. It was my favorite. I guess we shall still see.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

-Green-

@DiscoGentleman: I like it. It seems like they really paid attention to fixing some of it's issues.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

veeflames

Well, it seems servers are down... probably for the next 30 minutes. Yes, this was after some update... I say some because nothing's changed apart from the fact that you're offline and you can't shop at all.
This update was just a bit below 300MB, or so I believe. Isn't the real thing like 610MB?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

-Green-

@VeeFlamesNL: Yeah, it's supposed to be 610 MB.

OorWullie

I would love to try out the new Squad Battle's but my Wii U friend list is a bit sparse.Anyone want to have a go?

I don't see the Tag Match option?

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

FriedSquid

Very happy we're getting the Squid Girl gear in NA!

Not sure what I think about the new Urhin Underpass... I never knew it had issues that needed fixing? And out of curiosity did this change its single player stage too?

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Joeynator3000

FriedSquid wrote:

Very happy we're getting the Squid Girl gear in NA!

Not sure what I think about the new Urhin Underpass... I never knew it had issues that needed fixing? And out of curiosity did this change its single player stage too?

Wait wat?!

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

OorWullie

I'm getting a lot of connection errors just now.Only managed to start 2 matches and got disconnected after a minute or so.I can already tell that damn bucket is going to be my enemy.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

-Green-

@OorWullie: Watch the bucket be OP. It'll honestly be very funny.

Joeynator3000

checks on earlier posts...Yay Squid Girl! (...now if only they would re-release the anime on DVD/BluRay. TwT lol)

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Ralizah

Not sure I like the changes to urchin underpass. :/

Really hyped about ika musume DLC, though. Did not think we'd get it in NA.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Blue_Blur

@Ralizah: I like Urchin Underpass better now, but it's still nowhere near my favorite stage. I think they made too many hideouts, and the tress in the middle are quite annoying.

Did anyone else notice when the Squid Sisters said Urchin Underpass was in the current rotation, it was still the picture of the old Urchin Underpass? I'm surprised they forgot to change the picture...

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

IceClimbers

The slosher is so much fun! BUCKET HYPE!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

-Green-

Some people are already claiming the Slosher is OP.

Edit: Hopefully it's ends up being just like the roller.

Edited on by -Green-

Blue_Blur

I hope they come out with different sloshers and heavy splatlings soon! So many inkstrikes!!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Sleepingmudkip

I struggle fighting againt roller(Mostly when I am on tower control), I also struggling fighting against the paintbush but I have yet defeated someone with a slosher...They are really tough.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

One of the new shoes:
Untitled

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic