Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 4,581 to 4,600 of 14,636

Rexcalibr

OK I'll get it this weekend. Plus it will help me stay occupied until Mario Maker comes out. I'm going to sell Witcher 3 when I buy Splatoon, as I didn't like the game at all despite how much praise it got.

Rexcalibr

Barely_able

@Rexcalibr: try to pick it up before Friday night if you are in the U.S. As a splat fest is happening then. I think Europe is also having one this Saturday. It's a fun little diversion and can help you create better gear considering your early options only have one additional perk spot.

Barely_able

jariw

Rexcalibr wrote:

I've been thinking about getting this. I'll be honest, the characters don't appeal to me but the game has gotten great reviews and it's supposed to be one of the best games on the Wii U.

Would you guys say you like this or Mario Kart 8 more?

I read that you're getting it soon, but here are my comparison with MK8:

• MK8 basically works in the same way as the older MK games, Splatoon is something new (obviously).
  • Although Splatoon has single player and Battle Dojo, Splatoon absolutely requires online play (and a good online connection) for longevity, while MK8 can be enjoyed locally for long periods of time.
  • MK8 has much more content in terms of different courses and environment, while Splatoon always stick to its own Inkopolis environment.
  • The map you run on in MK8 is static, the map you play on in Splatoon is ever-changing depending on the ink coverage.
  • MK8 only requires a total mastery of a map on 200cc, Splatoon requires total mastery of all maps (and every inch of a map).
  • Maps in MK8 are looking the same regardless of playing mode (except Mirror mode), many Splatoon's maps have some important added elements only available in some modes.
  • MK8 is based very much on random items and luck and keeping the race even/exciting, while Splatoon is based on skill and tactics.
  • The way MK8 changes when you select a character/car only slightly affect how you play the game, changing the gear or weapon in Splatoon dramatically changes how you will approach the game.
  • MK8 let the player choose maps to a much higher degree. Splatoon let you know the maps that will be played during a time slot, and you need to adapt the weapon and gear to best suit those 2 maps.
  • To me, Splatoon is more addictive. The "just one more match" feeling is much more toxic than in MK8.

It's probably best to not compare it with MK8. These are essentially 2 very different games.

Personally, one of the things I like the most is the random-team-without-voice-chat feature, since handling that is also a "skill". And in the matches when you actually are understanding each other without any communication other than the gameplay, it's fantastic! Adapting to other players' abilities and disabilities is, in a good way, a constant challenge to me, but OTOH one bad player or disconnect in a match (with otherwise perfect matchmaking) will ruin the match.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

jariw

Emaan wrote:

Also they're raising the level cap and meanwhile I'm level 17 :^)

And the new level cap requires some hard work. I read someone was doing a calculation that going from 49 to 50 requires around 11,000 points. And since the new scoring system that appears after level 20 only can give max 5 points per match... I reached level 20 during the first week with the game or so, but I think I will probably never reach level 50.

jariw

-Green-

I really like the new Urchin Underpass. I felt like they really helped smooth out a few of it's rough edges and improved it. I don't know why some people hate the redesign; I think it's great.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

DreamyViridi

@Aromaiden: Some probably don't like the re-design just because it's different than what they're used to. I rather like the more open space but I'm merely judging by look, got to try it first.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

yokokazuo

Looks like the update will be arriving at 7pm Pacific Time and 10pm Eastern Time today and 2am UTC Time tomorrow.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

veeflames

@yokokazuo: TODAY?!!!
I honestly thought it was tomorrow! HYPE!

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Ralizah

If that theme comes over, I'm buying it. Love Callie and Marie. Love Splatfest music.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

yokokazuo

@VeeFlamesNL ya, for NA at least it will come today.

To be more specific, it appears the update will be released an hour earlier, but there will be server maintenance from 9:50-11am Japan time. (5:50-7pm Pacific, 8:50-10pm Eastern, 12:50-2am UTC)

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Cheesehead302

WHO'S HYPED FOR THE BUCKET?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUCKET HYPEEE

Cheesehead302

e-love

Cheesehead302 wrote:

WHO'S HYPED FOR THE BUCKET?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUCKET HYPEEE

meeee >:}

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

MasterWario

@jariw: Comparing the two to determine which one is better is as hopeless as apples and oranges, but in terms of deciding which one is a better choice to grab first, comparing them is not only a good idea but probably necessary. And that's actually a good point. I always forget about no voice chat, and, for random battles at least, it is invaluable.

Funny thing about all this talk of bad teammates; Sometimes I can be like a raid boss and just wreck the competition, but I also know sometimes I am that bad teammate we all talk about. If those blasters and dynamo rollers hit me the wrong way... (Although I guess regardless of my mechanical play I do know the basics of strategy, which isn't always the case for everyone else...)

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Spoony_Tech

Had the Squid Girl gear been confirmed yet because it just has been.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Barely_able

OneBagTravel wrote:

What's Squid Girl Gear?

I have no idea personally as I don't follow anime/manga, but from the hype people have given this outfit on here, I can only assume that it will be the most overused gear in the game. Looks like a nurses outfit to me.

Barely_able

jariw

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Had the Squid Girl gear been confirmed yet because it just has been.

No, Squid Girl outfit wasn't confirmed outside Japan until this tweet. I guess we get the Famitsu sushi chef costume design as well now.

EDIT: Here's the stats. The gear is getting its own brand.

Ika Musume hood
Brand: Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Gear Power: Opening Gambit
Rarity: two-star
Price: 1,600

Ika Musume No-Sleeve (dress/shirt)
Gear Power: Damage Up
Price: 2,000

Ika Musume Shoes
Gear Power: Swim Speed Up
Price: 1,700

Edited on by jariw

jariw

ultraraichu

Wait a sec, Nintendo sent a tweet about NA and EU getting the squid girl outfit and my phone didn't alert me (checks and turns off vibrate), never mind.

I never watched the anime but I know it was in my Netflix queue for a long while before they took it off. In any case it doesn't appeal to me. I guess half of the reason is because my personal inkling is the opposite match for the character.

A dying animal struggles, thrashes and howls in protest as its life torn from it. To see this in action, watch Animal Planet. The same thing happens when a video game is or isn't released. To see this in action, stay here.

Switch Friend Code: Sw-6105-4873-7122 | 3DS Friend Code: 1848-1733-3257 | My Nintendo: Ultraraichu | Nintendo Network ID: ultraraichu

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic