Forums

Topic: is the wii u powerful enough?

Posts 101 to 120 of 157

shingi_70

AlexSays wrote:

RonF wrote:

The Wii U is powerful enough to receive any port from the ps4 or XBone, as long as the developer reduce the rendering resolution and turn off some particle and lighting effects. The problem lies not on the power but in the combination of the Wii U low sales, meaning less incentive to release new stuff, and the use of a Power PC instead of x86 CPU, which means the ports will need more work that they might not care to take.

So just like last gen, games would have to be dumbed down

We saw how well that worked out

Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

-Juice-

The thing is, dumbing a game down won't make it look so terrible anymore and to be honest, the Xbox One and PS4 aren't all that powerful. Developers can now port games over to the Wii U instead of having to make an entirely different game.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

AlexSays

This is still the same story as last gen. 'Oh just wait the ports are coming'

When developers start porting Destiny, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc.. then I'll believe it.

Until then I'll just keep listening to the same ol story. That Nintendo's console will be taken seriously any day now and hardware is no longer an issue.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Solado

The ps4 and xbo use a x86 mobile CPU which isn't that powerful. The wii u CPU is powerful enough. The consoles all have a more powerful GPU which takes some of the load.

1gb ddr3 dedicated to gaming is perfectly fine too.

Ports can be done, they look great and aslong as the devs put the effort in they can get some fantastic looking games out of the hardware.

3DS Friend Code: 5429-8131-0873
I love Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft - why? I am a true gamer.

SCRAPPER392

Ya. The Wii U isn't as comparable to the Xbox One and PS4 as the Wii was to Xbox 360 and PS3.

If anything, I'd say Wii U is closer to Xbox One than PS4. Seriously, we go over this crap so many times... The Zelda E3 2011 tech demo is what Wii U is capable of as long as some serious effort applied.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07/e3-2011-wii-u-zelda-hd-demo

Those are POSSIBLE in-game graphics. It's not CGI.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Einherjar

It depends on what you are expecting from a console. If you are just in for the graphics, save yourself the money and invest into a gaming PC. What i have seen from the 1/4 is not really thze reinvention of the wheel. I saw a video about the Ghosts port and it looked especially terrible. Granted, its a port, but that shuldnt be an excuse.
When it purely comes down to games / gameplay, power isnt really that big of a factor. As always, my example is Xenoblade. A Wii game that blew its HD competitors right out of the water in pretty much every aspect.
There is no reason for a CERN super computer when your game doesnt take that into account. Good graphics cant make a poor game good, but a good game can overshadow poor graphics.
And graphics seems to be everything thats "new" with these new consoles and their new hardware. When the first game hits the shelfes that couldnt in anyway be made on an older system (and im not counting "it would just look worse") then you can start to argue if more power = better games / console.
Other than that, the WiiU is more than enough for what its supposed to be.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

-Juice-

@Einherjar I dunno, making an open world game such as Skyrim, Xenoblade, or Twilight Princess for the NES probably wouldn't work out very well...

Solado

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

@Einherjar I dunno, making an open world game such as Skyrim, Xenoblade, or Twilight Princess for the NES probably wouldn't work out very well...

Open world games run on 512mb so 1gb wouldn't be a problem.

rallydefault

I don't know, guys. The Wii U will definitely continue to improve so far as its graphics are concerned, but after owning and playing a game like Ryse, I'm pretty astonished at what the Xbox One can do, even at launch. It would take A LOT for the Wii U to reach that level of fidelity. Can it possibly happen? I'm sure it can, but it's going to take awhile AND it's going to take a dedicated development team.

rallydefault

-Juice-

@Solado Have you ever played a really old grainy game that tried to be huge? They're almost always unplayable. I think some people are all anti-graphics just because it's became the cool thing to do.

Solado

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

@Solado Have you ever played a really old grainy game that tried to be huge? They're almost always unplayable. I think some people are all anti-graphics just because it's became the cool thing to do.

Im not anti-graphics or pro graphics. Althrough the more complicated games are expected to become the higher development costs are and as a result, game makers and console makers need to make money back through the form of DLC, subscription services, higher retail cost and expansion packs. The Xbox One and PS4 are super powered consoles, the games look fantastic but behind all this glam is rising development costs that are passed onto the consumer one way or another. Xbox live and PSN for example + a £44.99+ price tag on titles.

The Wii U hardware is perfect. Not under powered or over powered, it can handle basic physics and lighting and push some great textures. 1GB DDR3 to games is still a massive ammount of RAM to work with. PS3 and Xbox 360 had some great looking games on and the Wii U is a big step up over these previous consoles.

I play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U, the "open world" is small in some cases and the textures look pretty dire at times. But the gameplay is excellent- the world could easily be 3x the size if it wasn't a port.

Edited on by Solado

AlexSays

Solado wrote:

The Wii U hardware is perfect.

Ohhhh k.

Which is why developers are just all over it, I'm sure

AlexSays

Solado

AlexSays wrote:

Solado wrote:

The Wii U hardware is perfect.

Ohhhh k.

Which is why developers are just all over it, I'm sure

They avoid it because of the install base. Who you going to develop for?
Console A: Sells 4 Million units in 12 months?
Console B: Sells 4 Million Units in 7 days?

Nothing to do with hardware.

Einherjar

@BlatantlyHeroic Ever played the original Dragon Quest ? It basicly is somewhat of an NES open world RPG. But if you mention "Elder Scrolls", ES2 - Daggerfall is WAY bigger than skyrim and it ran on systems less powerful than your average phone these days. And even if it looks dated by now, ES3 - Morrowind is widely considered as the best entry in the series even today. Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim isnt good because it looks good, but because it builds on a game system that WAS already good decades ago. Looking good schould not be a make or break factor, it IS an added bonus ontop of a (hopefully) good game.
Im not "anti-graphics" but im "pro-game" and seeing how production costs have increased and that gameplay is often sacraficed for it. Like i said, a bad game cant be made good with graphics alone.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

AlexSays

Solado wrote:

Which is why developers started making PS4/X1 multiplats before either console was released, and before we knew how much the Wii U would sell?

Yep, nothing to do with the hardware. Destiny, TW3.. not announced for the Wii U way before any sales were known for any console, but it has NOTHING to do with the hardware. Keep believin' that.

AlexSays

Solado

AlexSays wrote:

Solado wrote:

Which is why developers started making PS4/X1 multiplats before either console was released, and before we knew how much the Wii U would sell?

Yep, nothing to do with the hardware. Destiny, TW3.. not announced for the Wii U way before any sales were known for any console, but it has NOTHING to do with the hardware. Keep believin' that.

"NOTHING to do with hardware" - finally, you get it.

AlexSays

And you conveniently miss the part where developers were ignoring the Wii U before we knew how it would sell.

Yet its entirely on sales. You're lowering my already low expectations for logic on this site. lol

AlexSays

Lan

Einherjar wrote:

Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim isnt good because it looks good

Wait, Skyrim looks good?

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AlexSays

Lan wrote:

Einherjar wrote:

Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim isnt good because it looks good

Wait, Skyrim looks good?

Yes it does. Especially on the PC.

Would love to see some open world console games that look discernibly better.

AlexSays

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.