Wii U Forum

Topic: Does anyone feel Iwata might actually resign?

Showing 61 to 80 of 127

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

61. Posted:

@Sony_70: Or at least the option to shift modes while in the Wii shop or eShop. Perhaps the next update

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

62. Posted:

Hmmm, well even Windows 8 has a Windows 7 OS to run 7, so I guess running the whole OS is the only way once you move past the older stuff...
It doesn't really make sense why an add-on would be needed, but there are probably alot of people who would replay their 360 games if they could, so I'm sure it would sell anyway.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

63. Posted:

Most people here rather want Nintendo to go broke than getting rid of an incompetent CEO.

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

64. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Hmmm, well even Windows 8 has a Windows 7 OS to run 7, so I guess running the whole OS is the only way once you move past the older stuff...
It doesn't really make sense why an add-on would be needed, but there are probably alot of people who would replay their 360 games if they could, so I'm sure it would sell anyway.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection. Durango will be priced competitively according to PS4′s price.

Could easily see this being successful with me buying Durango out of my pocket and trading in my current 360 for the mini model.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

65. Posted:

Apple TV in not a console competition. Much like Ouya Apple TV will mainly be Indie developers platform intended to compete mainly against mobile gaming. It lacks the technical components to be able to run games typically intended for console gaming. The real competition of console gaming would be Valve's Steam Box though I don't think it's going to succeed cuz it's just too expensive (probably close to or around a thousand) for the casual gaming market.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

66. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

Apple TV in not a console competition. Much like Ouya Apple TV will mainly be Indie developers platform intended to compete mainly against mobile gaming. It lacks the technical components to be able to run games typically intended for console gaming. The real competition of console gaming would be Valve's Steam Box though I don't think it's going to succeed cuz it's just too expensive (probably close to or around a thousand) for the casual gaming market.

For the mainstream consumer the Apple TV is big competition for consoles. We've gotten to the point where gamers aren't the only market and never will be again thankfully. Its why at various press conferences you seem a bigger focus on more than just games or games that the core gamer isn't big on. There are quite a few people buying consoles for small indie games and media functions and in both of those apple TV is legit competitor.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

67. Posted:

Mainstream consumers will continue to play games on their mobile devices (smartphones & tablets) with majority of the games (some made also by Indie developers) you can get for free. Why would you spend money on Apple TV or Ouya when you can get similar games for it free on mobile platforms? It's a dead market.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

68. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

Mainstream consumers will continue to play games on their mobile devices (smartphones & tablets) with majority of the games (some made also by Indie developers) you can get for free. Why would you spend money on Apple TV or Ouya when you can get similar games for it free on mobile platforms? It's a dead market.

Entertainment and integration with the ecosystem it belongs too. There are a lot of people who own consoles just for the media functions. My mom has an xbox 360 and only uses it for various media apps and the only games she palys on it are Pac and the walking dead.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

69. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Sigh... yet another person who thinks Nintendo is only the Wii U.

EDIT: To put things into perspective, wondering if Sony's CEO is going to resign because one line of their TVs didn't do as well as they hoped would be just about the same thing you people are doing with Nintendo and the Wii U. Iwata is not going to resign. The company is making profit. Their stock is up. There is no reason for him to resign. You need to broaden your scope, OP.

The Sony ceo did resign and Kaz took over and the company has been slowly getting rid of the fat and getting back to be profitable.

The problem with your logic is Sony is a multi department company. Sony could easily get rid of the none profitable parts of the company and focus on entertainment, gaming, imaging, and insurance where the company is doing very well. Nintendo doesn't have that Luxury and for a company that only has two platforms having one currently do back doesn't look that good .

Anywho he apparently has a year to turn the situation around so were going to find out this time next year if he decides to leave or is replaced.

The problem with your logic is that Nintendo has their hands in other pots that aren't their hardware or software- <gasp>- just like any company! My argument is sound. Evaluating Iwata's competence based on just one of the company's consoles is idiotic. I don't know what you do for a living, but if I were your boss and decided to fire you for one weak area of performance (professional development, work output, innovation, quality, etc...take your pick) over the course of 6 months inside a 12-year-long career while you were practically acing all other areas of your job, you'd be pretty ticked and I'd be a pretty bad boss. Especially, as I said, if our company was turning profit and had rising stocks.

Iwata not only got Nintendo through the last generation, he took them through on top (if you look at TOTAL world sales). If Nintendo tried to go toe-to-toe with Microsoft and Sony, I don't know if we'd even have a Wii U to be arguing over right now. Iwata is a smart man, and he's demonstrated that time and time again. As a fan, you may not understand or agree with his business moves. You are one person with (probably) no industry knowledge- your combined condemnation with a few other trolls on the internet do not equal fact.

EDIT: Also, Sony's CEO didn't resign because of one line of TVs underperforming. He resigned because the company was failing to evolve across most of their departments: the PS4 being costly to make and selling quite poorly, their Sony Station MMO presence being vastly mismanaged, and the emerging presence of competition in areas where Sony was typically one of the only well-known name brands (for instance, my PC monitor used to be Sony...not anymore).

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

70. Posted:

@Sony_70
I think we're going to see alot of interaction between devices, including Nintendo. They will basically have to if the want to keep up.
I have tons of downloaded Xbox 360 games, but I don't even have an Xbox 360 right now. I'm for sure getting the next Xbox, and that attachment will be awesome for ke to have, but the Xbox 360 mini is out for me.
I can understand the appeal, but I'd rather just have the new one.
EDIT: BTW, I understand it's a rumor, but I'm not buying any new Xboxs until the new one.

@Cheaptrick
What do you have to say about the Sony CEO? Sony is half of the company they used to be once PS3 came out, whether I like the console or not.
3DS is doing well, and Wii U has alot of untapped potential. I wouldn't be so fast to make unnecessary comments that have no backing.
He's not even the one making ALL the decisions like any CEO at a company. Bill Gates knows about XBox, but he probably had only 5% of the entire decision making.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

71. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Cheaptrick
What do you have to say about the Sony CEO? Sony is half of the company they used to be once PS3 came out, whether I like the console or not.
3DS is doing well, and Wii U has alot of untapped potential. I wouldn't be so fast to make unnecessary comments that have no backing.
He's not even the one making ALL the decisions like any CEO at a company. Bill Gates knows about XBox, but he probably had only 5% of the entire decision making.

Both PS3 & Xbox 360 still selling well so I think those people running Sony & Microsoft are doing well. As of April 19, the Xbox 360 still leads console sales for the 27th consecutive month according to new data from the NPD group as posted at BGR website. As for Bill Gates, last time I heard he's not in involved any decisions related to Microsoft as he stepped down as CEO long ago to pursue his & his wife's philanthropic endeavors (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) particulary in fighting & looking for a cure to some common communicable diseases particularly in poor countries of Africa. He's still probably sits in the Microsoft board but mainly as an adviser.

The gaming division of Microsoft is totally separate as a whole. In terms of Microsoft as a whole, it's not doing so well particularly in the smartphone OS business as well as the PC market business in general. The Windows 8 is still far from being called a success but more of a failure.

As for Xbox 720 it's too early to say if it's going to be a success when it's not yet formally unvailed. They might have a problem with the always-online requirement as well as the subscription service planned on the Xbox 720.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

72. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Cheaptrick
What do you have to say about the Sony CEO? Sony is half of the company they used to be once PS3 came out, whether I like the console or not.
3DS is doing well, and Wii U has alot of untapped potential. I wouldn't be so fast to make unnecessary comments that have no backing.
He's not even the one making ALL the decisions like any CEO at a company. Bill Gates knows about XBox, but he probably had only 5% of the entire decision making.

Both PS3 & Xbox 360 still selling well so I think those people running Sony & Microsoft are doing well. As of April 19, the Xbox 360 still leads console sales for the 27th consecutive month according to new data from the NPD group as posted at BGR website. As for Bill Gates, last time I heard he's not in involved any decisions related to Microsoft as he stepped down as CEO long ago to pursue his & his wife's philanthropic endeavors (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) particulary in fighting & looking for a cure to some common communicable diseases particularly in poor countries of Africa. He's still probably sits in the Microsoft board but mainly as an adviser.

The gaming division of Microsoft is totally separate as a whole. In terms of Microsoft as a whole, it's not doing so well particularly in the smartphone OS business as well as the PC market business in general. The Windows 8 is still far from being called a success but more of a failure.

As for Xbox 720 it's too early to say if it's going to be a success when it's not yet formally unvailed. They might have a problem with the always-online requirement as well as the subscription service planned on the Xbox 720.

Gates is till on the board of directors but not in he regular everyday running,.

Microsoft is doing well in the smartphone game if you keep the expectations in check of its its going against Blackberry for the number 3 spot. Windows Phone has had slow but sure growth and Nokia's Lumia line is doing well in Europe and emerging markets. They would probably be doing better in America if they didn't have their flagship phone. I don't think anyone is expecting them to hit #1 and even they don't expect to go their over night.

Windows 8 is a even weirder situation where oems had deep discounts on hardware the week before windows 8 launch to clear inventory without realizing the guys buying these machines wouldn't come back for windows 8. The OS seems to be doing well with the online upgrade adoption especially with the $15 deal that went until January. On the hardware side the OS is having problems and we won't see this fixed to till the 2nd generation of hardware and how sales are once the back to school fall sales start. I have a first gen mid range touchscreen Ultrabook and while I love it I do understand the wait for the 2nd gen and for the Hybrid machines to fall in price. Despite windows 8 slow start the windows division sales are up 25% and Microsoft seems to be expanding the surface line of products. Also android tablet marketshare still isn't that high and Microsoft has a chance to become a distant #2 if they play their cards right before we have to

I agree that the xbox rumors are disconcerting but until other wise they're rumors. Always online is a foolhardy move for any oem and the subscription plan will be similar to the current one they're testing with the 360 where its just one of many options to purchase the console.

Back on topic I don't think Iwata will resign any time soon. The 3DS had a rough start and has managed to be turned around so i'll give him time to try and achieve the same with the Wii U.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

73. Posted:

@Cheaptrick
If your words are to be believed, then why target Iwata on a Nintendo site? Do you go to every site to say the CEO of every company is incompetent?
Every company is dealing with change in one way or another, and financial trouble usually comes along with that.
I personally think Microsoft should have stayed away from the phone market, but we may not have the Surface if they didn't think mobile. Surface is WAY better than iPad. Apple may be doing well, but only a fool would buy an iPad over a Surface at this point.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

74. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Sigh... yet another person who thinks Nintendo is only the Wii U.

EDIT: To put things into perspective, wondering if Sony's CEO is going to resign because one line of their TVs didn't do as well as they hoped would be just about the same thing you people are doing with Nintendo and the Wii U. Iwata is not going to resign. The company is making profit. Their stock is up. There is no reason for him to resign. You need to broaden your scope, OP.

The Sony ceo did resign and Kaz took over and the company has been slowly getting rid of the fat and getting back to be profitable.

The problem with your logic is Sony is a multi department company. Sony could easily get rid of the none profitable parts of the company and focus on entertainment, gaming, imaging, and insurance where the company is doing very well. Nintendo doesn't have that Luxury and for a company that only has two platforms having one currently do back doesn't look that good .

Anywho he apparently has a year to turn the situation around so were going to find out this time next year if he decides to leave or is replaced.

The problem with your logic is that Nintendo has their hands in other pots that aren't their hardware or software- <gasp>- just like any company! My argument is sound. Evaluating Iwata's competence based on just one of the company's consoles is idiotic. I don't know what you do for a living, but if I were your boss and decided to fire you for one weak area of performance (professional development, work output, innovation, quality, etc...take your pick) over the course of 6 months inside a 12-year-long career while you were practically acing all other areas of your job, you'd be pretty ticked and I'd be a pretty bad boss. Especially, as I said, if our company was turning profit and had rising stocks.

Iwata not only got Nintendo through the last generation, he took them through on top (if you look at TOTAL world sales). If Nintendo tried to go toe-to-toe with Microsoft and Sony, I don't know if we'd even have a Wii U to be arguing over right now. Iwata is a smart man, and he's demonstrated that time and time again. As a fan, you may not understand or agree with his business moves. You are one person with (probably) no industry knowledge- your combined condemnation with a few other trolls on the internet do not equal fact.

EDIT: Also, Sony's CEO didn't resign because of one line of TVs underperforming. He resigned because the company was failing to evolve across most of their departments: the PS4 being costly to make and selling quite poorly, their Sony Station MMO presence being vastly mismanaged, and the emerging presence of competition in areas where Sony was typically one of the only well-known name brands (for instance, my PC monitor used to be Sony...not anymore).

I believe sales of the Wii U will pick up, but what would you say if by November the Wii U is still only selling 60k a month? This isn't some employee at McDonald's screwing up a customer's order, this is millions of dollars we are talking about. You claim to know a lot about the business world, so you should know that past successes don't matter. Just look at the J.C. Penney CEO who was recently ousted. He did great work when he worked for Apple, and then he screwed up with J.C. Penney and he got the boot. Now granted the circumstances with this are a little different, but you get my point. I like Iwata, I don't want to see him go, but to say that he's safe because of past successes is just not true. As for Nintendo's stock, yeah it's rising now, but only after it plummeted.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

75. Posted:

At least the Jcpenny guy made the sweet JCP line done by Nick Wooster. The company may be sinking but it isn't lack of a quality product. Its mostly due to him not knowing the customer base.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

76. Posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping JCP can turn things around. I would hate to see them go under.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

77. Posted:

I am in no way saying new management is out of the question, but it would be too soon to have a confident decision about Iwata IMO. Companies reorganize and continue, but that can be hard on a business to restructure and focus on that instead of products. It's sometimes necessary to do so to be around longer than if you didn't, though.
I'm sure Iwata is still needed at Nintendo for now, and if he steps down(I doubt he will), then Nintendo will carry on and find another good CEO for their current needs. No hard feelings for any party.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

78. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Sigh... yet another person who thinks Nintendo is only the Wii U.

EDIT: To put things into perspective, wondering if Sony's CEO is going to resign because one line of their TVs didn't do as well as they hoped would be just about the same thing you people are doing with Nintendo and the Wii U. Iwata is not going to resign. The company is making profit. Their stock is up. There is no reason for him to resign. You need to broaden your scope, OP.

The Sony ceo did resign and Kaz took over and the company has been slowly getting rid of the fat and getting back to be profitable.

The problem with your logic is Sony is a multi department company. Sony could easily get rid of the none profitable parts of the company and focus on entertainment, gaming, imaging, and insurance where the company is doing very well. Nintendo doesn't have that Luxury and for a company that only has two platforms having one currently do back doesn't look that good .

Anywho he apparently has a year to turn the situation around so were going to find out this time next year if he decides to leave or is replaced.

The problem with your logic is that Nintendo has their hands in other pots that aren't their hardware or software- <gasp>- just like any company! My argument is sound. Evaluating Iwata's competence based on just one of the company's consoles is idiotic. I don't know what you do for a living, but if I were your boss and decided to fire you for one weak area of performance (professional development, work output, innovation, quality, etc...take your pick) over the course of 6 months inside a 12-year-long career while you were practically acing all other areas of your job, you'd be pretty ticked and I'd be a pretty bad boss. Especially, as I said, if our company was turning profit and had rising stocks.

Iwata not only got Nintendo through the last generation, he took them through on top (if you look at TOTAL world sales). If Nintendo tried to go toe-to-toe with Microsoft and Sony, I don't know if we'd even have a Wii U to be arguing over right now. Iwata is a smart man, and he's demonstrated that time and time again. As a fan, you may not understand or agree with his business moves. You are one person with (probably) no industry knowledge- your combined condemnation with a few other trolls on the internet do not equal fact.

EDIT: Also, Sony's CEO didn't resign because of one line of TVs underperforming. He resigned because the company was failing to evolve across most of their departments: the PS4 being costly to make and selling quite poorly, their Sony Station MMO presence being vastly mismanaged, and the emerging presence of competition in areas where Sony was typically one of the only well-known name brands (for instance, my PC monitor used to be Sony...not anymore).

I believe sales of the Wii U will pick up, but what would you say if by November the Wii U is still only selling 60k a month?

then the point will be likely valid. But console's sales, barring really early, hardcore adopters, doesn't matter too much for the first 6 or so months. Wii U's early failures are more a sign that Wii U's "gimmicks" have failed to become an immediate smash hit like the Wii and that Nintendo is paying for a bad economy and their questionable decisions in the past that have lead to them borderline apologizing (sometimes not even borderline) for every questionable decision they've made in arguably the last decade.

I'm not gonna say Iwata is some great CEO, but this is just another problem that is more part of a larger issue. Nintendo doing as well as it has with profit is pratically an anomaly in terms of AAA game development nowadays, only once everyone abandoned Nintendo did they start losing that profit. If it continues, it would fit to have Iwata resign based on recent news of CEOs resigning, seemingly abandoning ship from AAA gaming (the smartest idea to be honest), if things don't turn around by then. Because those companies despite doing so much more to take advantage of profit and releasing so many legit relevant games, are still having trouble.

But, even as some random fan on the internet, blowing everyone away at E3 and than having the Wii U come back in November is such a logical and almost inevitable move, it would be Nintendo's dumbest mistake in its history were it not to happen. Like worst than Virtual Boy if it doesn't happen. What I'm saying basically is that Iwata would have to go farther than he's ever dreamed of for idiotic decisions in order for Wii U to not be a success by the end of this year. If it does fail, Iwata should resign. Period. If it doesn't, it will prove my point that the last half a year didn't matter in any way.

Also, this is mostly not being a defending fanboy or whatever. I was burying Nintendo every day during 3DS' early days because they were paying for their mistakes. But its success has made the early days for the Wii U irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Most of my biased defense (which there is some) is more because I am very glad for them pulling a 180 in many ways and being a AAA gaming company that at least isn't constantly in my face with how much it wants money to a painfully ridiculous degree (even if I didn't read gaming news, this would still be true btw).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gavn64

79. Posted:

Cheaptrick wrote:

Most people here rather want Nintendo to go broke than getting rid of an incompetent CEO.

Go broke :D your joking right... i mean that is a joke right. where i come from nearly 14 BILLION US DOLLARS in assets is a lot of money i guess your from the future year 3000 or something where inflation would make that nothing your welcome :D

gavn64

3DS Friend Code: 4897-6082-1828 | Nintendo Network ID: GavnL89

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cheaptrick

80. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Windows 8 is a even weirder situation where oems had deep discounts on hardware the week before windows 8 launch to clear inventory without realizing the guys buying these machines wouldn't come back for windows 8. The OS seems to be doing well with the online upgrade adoption especially with the $15 deal that went until January. On the hardware side the OS is having problems and we won't see this fixed to till the 2nd generation of hardware and how sales are once the back to school fall sales start. I have a first gen mid range touchscreen Ultrabook and while I love it I do understand the wait for the 2nd gen and for the Hybrid machines to fall in price. Despite windows 8 slow start the windows division sales are up 25% and Microsoft seems to be expanding the surface line of products. Also android tablet marketshare still isn't that high and Microsoft has a chance to become a distant #2 if they play their cards right before we have to

Despite declining PC sales, Microsoft still managed to increase overall revenues from its Windows division. They just reported a $5.7 billion for the first 3 months of 2013. At first I thought this could be from OEM sells but it's not. This is mainly from upgrades. Overall, I think Mocrosoft is going down but it's gaming division is still strong. I have a strong feeling that Microsoft will lose the next gen game console battle. It looks like they're not aiming for a tablet controller but going heavy on motion control on the Xbox 720. The allways ON concept are going to be a problem to some as well as the subscription service when the 2 other competitors (Nintendo & Sony) are doing things for free.

Edited on by Cheaptrick

OVERCLOCK.NET OFFICIAL WII U OWNERS CLUB

Cheaptrick's Project "Silent Scout"

Cheaptrick's GTX 680 SC Modding