Wii U Forum

Topic: Does a professional reviewer have a mandate to bring personal political biases into a review?

Showing 1 to 20 of 165

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

1. Posted:

I'm fairly new here so I'm not entirely sure what just happened. It seems the person who started a thread that had developed into a lively discussion, deleted that thread because it made them uncomfortable.

That's not an acceptable attitude on the internet, especially when people are debating things maturely. If you don't like something, and as long as it's not breaking any rules, just don't read it!

If anyone missed that discussion, I was putting across the point of view that I don't think a reviewer should base a review on their personal political biases, but should be free to mention them (e.g if you happen to dislike violence, be wary). This arose around the issue of a gamespot employee deducting points from the GTA5 review based on the poor portrayal of females (which I accept is true).

If anyone else wants to contribute an opinion, I'm open to being persuaded otherwise and I think it's an important subject to discuss.

garywood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

2. Posted:

I think Reviewers should have the freedom to rate a game based off their experience with it. If there was something in the game that they did not like then Reviewers should be free to let that affect their score.

Edited on by DefHalan

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PrincessSugoi

3. Posted:

Question: Why are you so convinced that the reviewer deducted a point from the game for that reason only? I rarely see a game get a perfect score. Is it somehow not possible that she really just thought it was a '9' game (which is still a really high score, even possibly too generous) and you (as well as many others) may be jumping the gun by holding to just one aspect of her review? She did mention other issues with the story besides the misogyny.

Current playlist: Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Siesta Fiesta, Kirby: Triple Deluxe

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mickey

4. Posted:

From what I understand, "professional reviewers" have a mandate to bring his/her opinion into a review. That would include their "personal political bias" as well.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter: TheMercuryMouse

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

5. Posted:

I apologize for deleting the thread. It's just that I just wanted to share something I found interesting and a little funny with the folks at NintendoLife. I wasn't looking to get people to argue and debate over opinions and views. I had a bad feeling the second I posted that, I just knew something would come up starting a huge argument. I'm just not the kind of guy who likes to get involved or be responsible for when an argument breaks out. Your opinion is your own, and I can respect that, as well as anyone else's opinion. But, it's just that... ugh, I don't know, now I feel even worse for deleting it! I'm sorry, I didn't want any of this to happen! I apologize to everyone else out there offended by my deletion. I'm very sorry.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

6. Posted:

PrincessSugoi wrote:

Question: Why are you so convinced that the reviewer deducted a point from the game for that reason only? I rarely see a game get a perfect score. Is it somehow not possible that she really just thought it was a '9' game (which is still a really high score, even possibly too generous) and you (as well as many others) may be jumping the gun by holding to just one aspect of her review? She did mention other issues with the story besides the misogyny.

I think people started making a fuss because she put it in the "negatives" column. You know, where they have to summarise the game. When that's one of the only negatives, it suggests it accounted for the deduction of points. I personally think this specific issue is a bad one to focus on, given that it's such a hugely popular game that it makes no difference what 1 reviewer thought. It's more the concept I'm arguing against. Perhaps the Dragon's Crown example is better?

garywood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morpheel

7. Posted:

Yeah, deleting the thread was too extreme for such a mild discussion. Requesting a close would've been more appropiate.

That's one of the reasons I don't like the idea of normal users having the ability to fully delete threads.

Edited on by Morpheel

Oops, no username pun.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

8. Posted:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

I apologize for deleting the thread. It's just that I just wanted to share something I found interesting and a little funny with the folks at NintendoLife. I wasn't looking to get people to argue and debate over opinions and views. I had a bad feeling the second I posted that, I just knew something would come up starting a huge argument. I'm just not the kind of guy who likes to get involved or be responsible for when an argument breaks out. Your opinion is your own, and I can respect that, as well as anyone else's opinion. But, it's just that... ugh, I don't know, now I feel even worse for deleting it! I'm sorry, I didn't want any of this to happen! I apologize to everyone else out there offended by my deletion. I'm very sorry.

Don't feel bad, it got off topic so you deleted it. Now we have an area to discuss the new topic that formed from your old one.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

9. Posted:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

I apologize for deleting the thread. It's just that I just wanted to share something I found interesting and a little funny with the folks at NintendoLife. I wasn't looking to get people to argue and debate over opinions and views. I had a bad feeling the second I posted that, I just knew something would come up starting a huge argument. I'm just not the kind of guy who likes to get involved or be responsible for when an argument breaks out. Your opinion is your own, and I can respect that, as well as anyone else's opinion. But, it's just that... ugh, I don't know, now I feel even worse for deleting it! I'm sorry, I didn't want any of this to happen! I apologize to everyone else out there offended by my deletion. I'm very sorry.

No problem, I won't hold against you personally at all. Although you rather worryingly showed the kind of behaviour that actually was motivating my concern! Issues like racism, sexism, homophobia are so emotionally charged that they really do have a kind of taboo that gets created that seems to stifle free speech where everyone gets afraid of saying or doing anything that goes against the liberal majority.

garywood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

10. Posted:

Morphtorok wrote:

That's one of the reasons I don't like the idea of normal users having the ability to fully delete threads.

I wasn't even aware any forums had that option!!

garywood

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

11. Posted:

@MrWalkieTalkie: Just so you know, if a member of the moderation team is actively participating in a discussion, let us make the call whether or not to delete it. There was nothing wrong with that discussion, garywood (and everyone else) were abiding by our Rules so far as I could see. If it had gone too far, I would've nipped it in the bud, I promise you.

as to the topic in question, if it negatively impacted their playthrough of the game and how they felt about the game overall, I absolutely expect a reviewer to bring it up and for it to color the review overall. Why bring something up and then at the end be all 'oh but don't let that stop you it's a great game' when it clearly wasn't a great game from the standpoint of the reviewer?

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

12. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

I think Reviewers should have the freedom to rate a game based off their experience with it. If there was something in the game that they did not like then Reviewers should be free to let that affect their score.

This. I really don't see why a reviewer should be limited in what they can talk about so long as it's relevent to their experience with the game. And yes, the score should reflect the general opinion of the reviewer.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

13. Posted:

Well we seem to be agreeing on some issues but not on others. Maybe I do just have an unrealistic expectation of what game reviewers SHOULD be doing.

Take an example: Mass Effect 3. That ending just completely ruined it for me. It really did guarantee that I'd never play it again. (I have no idea what the extended cut added). So if I were to follow the kind of 'anything-goes' logic you're putting forward, I really would give it like a 4 or something like those nutters on metacritic.
However, I recognise a different aspect to the appreciation of art. I have a sensitivity to the fact that some things are more dependent on my personal disposition than others. And I predicted (I think correctly) that while most people would agree it was a terrible ending, I don't think it would completely ruin it for most people the way it did for me. So if I were a professional reviewer, I'd be trying to write a review for what I assume to be the average gamer and I'd probably give the game an 8-8.5.

So is that a mistake? That's not even a political bias, just one that I recognise to be very subjective.

Edited on by garywood

garywood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

14. Posted:

No. You can review it however you want.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

15. Posted:

you'd have one opinion among many. it's all six of one/half a dozen of the other anyway — you'd have the people rabidly agreeing with you and those disagreeing with you to the death no matter what you wrote. the important thing is that you'd be able to say what you said unhindered, just like all the 'nutters' you think are crazy for having said this or that about games you've played, so what does it matter as long as you were absolutely, brutally honest? no one could fault you for that.

When you write to please others, that's where you go wrong, because people are still going to disagree no matter what you write. you have to be honest with yourself and with everyone around you — 'as a long-time Mass Effect fan, this game was crap', y'know?

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

6ch6ris6

16. Posted:

in the end even "professional" reviews are just personal opinions when it comes to stuff like story.

if someone is thinking the violence in a gta game is wrong or too much then i probably wonder if that person ever played a gta game before

3DS code: 4768 - 7434 - 1139 <<>> Miiverse ID: A-C-A-B
Visit Pinewood in Animal Crossing: 7700 - 3096 - 0394 <<>> Nintendo Pocket Football Club: FC Krawall

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

17. Posted:

DefHalan wrote:

No. You can review it however you want.

If we take that reasoning too far, it'd render game reviews almost useless (worse than they already are). That really does seem to be a fundamental difference of opinion if you'd support ANYTHING connected with the game. I suspect the review sites would disagree if it was too personal and uncommon an issue.

garywood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

18. Posted:

I think being professional is lame.... I think if you're going to work in something you have put your heart into it even if others disagree with your point of view!

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

garywood

19. Posted:

6ch6ris6 wrote:

in the end even "professional" reviews are just personal opinions when it comes to stuff like story.

if someone is thinking the violence in a gta game is wrong or too much then i probably wonder if that person ever played a gta game before

Well exactly, and the same for the portrayal of the characters I would've said too! I'd assumed the stereotypes that I'd see before I'd played it. Like someone reviewing a mario game and deducting points for the fact that he's a bit of a silly Italian stereotype.

garywood

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sleepingmudkip

20. Posted:

I just hate it when they take off like 10 points off because its to hard(most of the time its a FPS fan reviewing a JRPG)

Deluxe WII U

Limited Edition Pikachu 3DS

I Love Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter: JohnGreenGod