Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,841 to 2,860 of 11,902

NaviAndMii

CrazedCavalier wrote:

@NaviAndMii Insider reports say Sony specifically said "no" to the deal.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389656

Ahh - I just re-read the IGN article I got my info from and it says:

"The Minecraft team is also looking into including the PlayStation 4 as part of this shared, cross-platform ecosystem for Minecraft, but has nothing to announce regarding concrete plans at this time."

..seems I misread it the first time around - my mistake! ..it certainly doesn't make Sony look particularly good if that is the case :/

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Ralizah

The expansion of BC is pretty awesome, I have to admit.

Also, just saw the trailer for The Last Night. Game looks gorgeous. Another game I'm getting on Steam, then!

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

gcunit

@DarthNocturnal Where did you find that confirmation - link pls

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

@DarthNocturnal No, I meant confirmation that the BC will work with discs, but nvm, I've found it myself now -

I've just bought myself a copy of PGR and PGR2 in the faint hope that they'll be included in BC (not that PGR3 or 4 have yet...).

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ryu_Niiyama

@DarthNocturnal I do get where you are coming from but we are talking about a difference in media (and the ability for them to be read in the current system) across all Nintendo platforms. I would expect Sony to meet MS for parity, (since their drives can read all the disc formats required) but it will be next to impossible for Nintendo to do so. How will Nintendo track that you still own the game (because they would have to issue the bc as a digital game for switch instead)? At least with MS you have to stick the Xbox 1(original/ugh I hate MS's Marketing department) game in the Xbone/XboneX to play it.

Personally, I'm expecting an upgrade price just like for the wii to wiiu VC.

I will say that the more I'm reading up on this the more appealing the BC is looking on the Xbone. Not in a this is a system seller sort of way or an incentive for me to get the X, but in a "well its one less box I have to dig out and hook up" sort of way. (I'm not too impressed as a PC gamer with MS's showing so far but I have yet to really read up on the announcements yet.) To be honest though BC may have just pushed me to making my XBone into a "retro box". My GPU in my pc runs 4K (Not that I have a tv for it yet) and its just 40 bucks to get a copy of Windows 10 to run the new games.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@CrazedCavalier XBox has never (ever (ever)) made a profit. It has lost considerable money. Despite their market share they spend more to capture that market share than they earn. They absorbed MAMMOTH debt to launch the OG XBox, and the RROD absorbed substantial profits from the 360.

You are correct that the brand does have potential, however rumors of a sale or scuttle of the brand aren't speculation based on people assuming XBox is doing badly. That has been among the DEMANDS from investors for a number of years now. It's not about if they can "afford to hang onto it", they actively do not wish to. X1 was launched under Ballmer who protected the division as a pet project, but Nadella was always against it, which piqued shareholders interest. The idea that they could either sell it or kill it isn't heresay, it's what MS investors have insisted occur to a new CEO who is very receptive to that idea.

My own speculation is that X1X is a testing grounds for them....if they can turn it around and turn it into a premium brand, they might let them have a go at an X2. They could possibly align the premium product branding along with the Surface product. If the numbers don't improve, I would be really stunned if there was NOT a sale before an X2 launch would happen. That doesn't mean XBox as a brand couldn't continue under new ownership. It likely would, I'm sure someone would buy it for the right price. But it would have to pave its own way without the bottomless money pit that is Microsoft, which would yield a different XBox.

@Peek-a-boo Have to be careful with sony's operating income though. They spent years liquidating assets to get those numbers up, and a lot of their returns have been in the financial services market in Asia where currency valuations have benefited them heavily. That's still far from stable footing for Sony proper. It's a much leaner company now than it was before. On the balance sheet that's great, but they can also absorb a lot less dynamism than before as well. Playstation is one of the 3 bulwarks of the company though, so that's not going anywhere any time soon....other parts of the company leech off it the way XBox leeches off Surface and Android.

They're mirror images. Sony is recovering, but leaner and less stable, but Playstation is one of their deep anchors for success. Microsoft is a mountain of unlimited money, but is getting tired of XBox siphoning the success for nothing. Everyone mocks Nintendo's market share but they're the most static one of the bunch despite their lower value.

@NaviAndMii The year long buildup was definitely weird and is what had me expecting the worst. IMO everything about Scorpio has been weird. It's a product that I'm not sure they themselves knew where they were going with it. The unveiling promised it was just an X1 and not a new platform with new games. But it was so overdone. And the past year of hype indicated it was SO powerful it was a whole new console that changes gaming, it's a whole new generation! And that struck me as a disaster in motion if they did it that way. To build a console that's basically XBox 2....oh screw it, XBox 4...that's what it really is , and release it, and then hamstring it by making games play on X1 neuters it as a new console. If they trotted it out as an ACTUAL new console with new games that can't play (or play well) on 1, they'd have flipped off their existing buyers who have already been riding in the back seat this gen by pulling a WiiU and killing their console in 4 years. But then when they brought out the "REAL" XBox2...4...whatever, in a few years, the oomph would have been drained from it, it would look like a bump from the Scorpio. It would be Sega Saturn all over again.

They alleviated all that trouble by just brushing it off and saying "just like we told you last year, it's just a souped up X1 to turbo charge the graphics of select games!" The existing customers aren't flipped off, and they didn't drain the thunder of the next actual platform. That was a really good save for something that I think could have really hurt them if they overplayed it.

So now they get to wear the mantle of "most powerful" after Sony humiliated them, without having to break their cycle. I doubt 1X will sell much at all....it's a $500 console to Sony's $400 (or $350 by November?) souped up console.....the Scorpio is certainly the more powerful of the two (Pro is kind of a joke, really.) but neither company REALLY expects to sell a lot of these...they're halo products that make the $250 basic models look more desirable.

Despite the build-up though, MS was actually LESS pretentious about 1X than Sony is with Pro, despite Sony forgetting to actually tell anyone they released it

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@DarthNocturnal Right. That was what I responded to. MS can do bc the way they are because the xbone can read their entire catalog since it is some form of disc format. Which is why I suggested sony could have parity if they wanted. They won't of course.

My point was it will be impossible or at least harder than they are willing to put in the effort for Nintendo to do anything similar. At best we will get upgrade fees I'm guessing for anything that went to wiiu and possibly wiii (hmm I wonder if they plan on pulling from 3ds VC as well). Sorry if I was unclear.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

RR529

I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with most of what MS showed (what I did like was mostly multiplat), but I'll give them props for focusing on games, games, and more games. B+

This isn't aimed at MS in particular, but I actually don't care for the simplistic, polygonal, textureless look that many of the western non-realistic games tend to go for (that Space Dwarf thing, Ashen, and Sea of Thiefs, from the top of my mind, though the first one is most guilty).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

If there's one thing I didn't miss about these E3 discussions, it's the console wars-esque discussion.

...Although, it can be fun to watch, from time to time. I'm just not tech savy enough to understand the technical side if it all, and I'm too jaded to want to side with a company in terms of their output. Microsoft being in its current position at best means they have to try harder to earn our attention and money, so...I think we're already witnessing the results of their squirming. I saw we should just enjoy it.

Ralizah wrote:

The expansion of BC is pretty awesome, I have to admit.

Also, just saw the trailer for The Last Night. Game looks gorgeous. Another game I'm getting on Steam, then!

Honestly, most of the games Microsoft showed off sound like they'll be timed exclusives. I think if I wait enough, I could get games like The Last Night on the PS4.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

So Microsoft announced a Flood themed new expansion for Halo Wars 2.

If the Flood campaign is still set after Halo 5 (like the main campaign) then we may be seeing it return in Halo 6!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal We are still getting story DLC. If you think about the ending of the campaign, the prometheans are the likely focus of the story DLC that you get with the season pass.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Pleasebeplayablepleasebeplayablepleasebeplayable....

EDIT: “No, Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare is a separate expansion for Halo Wars 2 and is not included as part of the Season Pass.“

.....what the crap? It said we got story DLC...

EDIT 2: A: “No. The Flood are an AI-controlled adversary in Halo Wars 2: Awakening the Nightmare and will not be a playable faction.“

So, not only is this conveniently not a part of the season pass (even though we're still in “season“), but... no playable Flood.

Feeling somewhat burned at the moment...

Oh good, now I have every excuse to avoid it! Thanks Microsoft. Seriously, thanks, I really do hate the Flood and I wouldn't bother playing as them even if I was given the option. Not that it would make the least bit of sense if you could...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@CanisWolfred

They are similar in a lot of ways to the Zerg. It wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I recall the Flood being largely unintelligent? But I'm a few games behind, and it's been ages since I've played a Halo game. The Zerg are a hive-mind, and despite their appearance, are shown in the story of Starcraft to act deliberately and purposefully. I recall the Flood just...basically being brainless Zombies that spread through some sort of desease or whatever. I kind of imagine using them would just be...making the units and then they act of their own will, because that's how it seemed to work in the other games I played.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@CanisWolfred

You might say that...

EDIT: Nevermind, you got it.

But yeah, they share quite a few traits with the Zerg. Maybe not the same end goal, but they most certainly have intelligence.

Why the dislike exactly? Do you just hate fighting them? Fair enough; some are annoying.

They're like if you gave the fast Zombies from Half-Life 2 shotguns and assault rifles. Yes, I hate fighting them.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Played the remake of the first Halo, and while I didn't hate the Flood, I didn't care for (how late in the game) they just constantly respawned.

It was especially jarring since I don't recall the Covenant ever respawning, so I adopted a more cautious, strategic style when clearing them from a room, then the Flood come and force a more run n' gun style, IMO (I actually came to enjoy it once I acclimated, but again, didn't care for the respawning in late missions).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

Halo 1's flood is universally considered to be the worst part of that game.

I gave up on Halo when I found Halo 3's campaign to just not be as fun as the previous two games. Which is a shame as I did genuinely love the first 2 games, but at this point it seems like a series that mostly exists because it's popular rather than living up to high standards.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Halo 1's flood is universally considered to be the worst part of that game.

I gave up on Halo when I found Halo 3's campaign to just not be as fun as the previous two games. Which is a shame as I did genuinely love the first 2 games, but at this point it seems like a series that mostly exists because it's popular rather than living up to high standards.

I know what you mean. ODST tried to be different by forcing more of that cautious approach RR529 talked about, but once Reach was out and eveyone was moving on from Halo 3's multiplayer, I kinda decided I had my fill of the series. The campaigns after 2 just weren't that fun, and while I think I might've appreciated Reach's story, I wasn't sold on the gameplay from the Beta and gameplay footage I saw...it just looked like a Me-Too shooter, which is a shame, since, Ironically, the earlier games seem so refreshing compared to most of the COD-Clones of last gen...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

WebHead

Xbox One X looks fantastic but the steep price and weak first party support are going to hold it back. Super Lucky's Tale looks great. Btw according to XOX's MS Store page each XOX comes with a free month of Game Pass.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic