Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 2,821 to 2,840 of 11,914

NaviAndMii

I'm really surprised by the name - I thought they'd break away from the 'One' brand and try and spin it as 'the first next gen console' - instead it kind of gives off a 'late response to the PS4 Pro' vibe...seems like a bad move to me.

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@NaviAndMii I think it was wise given how they announced Scorpio at E3 last year, "No one gets left behind" means a lot and keeping the "One" brand backs that claim up.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Definitely appreciated the focus on games... just wish there were more that caught my interest.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CrazedCavalier

@DarthNocturnal Same.
Though looking at other places people are complaining about how they didn't spend more time on it and showing off enhanced games.
I've actually been wondering-- if they hadn't made it so small, could the X have hit a $400 price point? The dev kits were as large as the original One-- if they could have eschewed form factor for a competitive price point, why wouldn't they?

@SomeWriter13 The S is permanently $250 now, though. Under cutting the PS4 Slim and the Switch.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

CanisWolfred

I'll admit that Microsoft showed off a lot of interesting games, at least:

Crackdown 3 had a funny trailer (though it could've used less hamminess from Terry Crews). Doesn't answer the most important question, though: Will it have an omnipresent narrator, like in the first Crackdown???

Ashen looks pretty awesome. Like a more stylized Dark Souls with NPC allies, I guess? Could be fun.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps looks beautiful, but I would've liked to see some gameplay, too, so I knew how it was supposed to be different.

I'm glad to know that Life is Strange: Before the Storm is only 3 parts instead of the usual 5, if only because that's something different. Seriously, just because Telltale had been doing 5 episodes for a good long while doesn't mean everything episodic has to be divided into 5 parts...sheesh...also, good to know there's a sequel at all, because I just downloaded the full first season. Guess I'll find out whether or not a sequel will be worth paying attention to soon enough!

Sea of Thieves still continues to be the only co-op-focused game I give a damn about, as well as being the pirate game of my boyhood dreams! =D

Super Lucky's Tale looks like an awesome Mario/Banjo-esque 3D platformer. It's attempts at looking cute with the NPCs don't really strike my fancy, though. Everyone just looks kind of hideous, except for Lucky...hopefully I can get over it, though. It's giving me early Yooka-Laylee vibes, but hopefully with less suckiness overall.

Metro Exodus made my nipples hard.

I want to like Assassin's Creed Origins, but most of what we saw were cinematics & the devs working on art assets. It's slated for October, yet they didn't have more to show? That's...giving me Unity flashbacks...

Arc Systems Works + DBZ is a match made in heaven, and a dream come true...literally. I had honestly wished for it the day before it was announced! =D Which means I wasted my Dragon Wish on a video game, instead of having a successful career, or world peace, or an attractive girlfriend with the libido of an African Lion........dangit.....at least the game looks good.

Black Desert actually makes me want to play an MMO, which makes it the....5th on a console to achieve that. =D It's definitely the prettiest I've seen, though. Now I just need to find out about its price-model...no way is a game like this Free-to-play, not without a boatload of strings, at least...

The Last Night is giving me the best kind of Flashbacks...as in it looks like Flashback, the old cinematic platformer from the era of Prince of Persia, but maybe with less bullcrap. Fingers crossed.

Even The Artful Escape looked cool, and normally I despise artsy, psychodelic stuff. I dunno, it really jived with me...maybe because it looked like there was at least an ounce of actual gameplay to it this time. =P

I think the only game that I have any complicated feelings about is Anthem. It looks like Destiny with Jetpacks. Which...might be cool, and it certainly looks a gazillion times better than Destiny in terms of art direction, IMO. If it can pull off a less pretentious story, maybe I'll be able to get into it, instead of getting bored with it during the 4th boss fight, and returning it to Redbox?

I guess I also don't know what to make of Tacoma. It's made from the developers of Gone Home, so chances are good it'll be outside of my usual classification of a game...but I'm enough of a sci-fi nerd that I might try it anyways. At the very least, its story setup sounds like Gone Home's schtick of piecing together events through random notes might fit the world more organically this time. But I guess that takes me back to the main problem: I didn't think Gone Home had a good story, and since there was nothing else to it, there was nothing for me to enjoy. At the very least, there's no way I'd get it without a steep discount, unless there turns to be more gameplay than they've let on so far.

Code Vein looks terrible, but I like the character designs enough that I would totally watch an anime adaption if one ever becomes available. Just sayin'.

Oh, and my diggest disappointment is Deep Rock Galactic Dive. You had me at Space Dwarves. You lost at the actual look of the game...I am so tired of these psuedo-old-school polygon games. I mean, those old 3D games never really looked good, they were just a promise of a better tomorrow. And that torrow started about a decade ago.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Anyone got a breakdown list of which are 2017, 2018, and beyond?

No, but I could probably make one in, like, 5 minutes...hang on...puts down italian ice

2017:

Star Wars Battlefront II
Need For Speed: Payback
Forza Motorsports 7
Assassin's Creed Origins
Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
Tacoma
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Crackdown 3
Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Episode 1

A Way Out
Metro Exodus
State of Decay 2
Dragonball FighterZ
Code Vein
Sea of Thieves
Anthem

TBD:

Ori and the Will of Wisps
Ashen
The Artful Escape
The Last Night
The Darwin Project
Deep Rock Galactic Dive

Also, let me know if you want them to include the stated/approximated release dates, even though they are guaranteed to be changed before the games come out.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NEStalgia

This is the first time in many many years i actually enjoyed the Microsoft show. They had an entertaining presentation, Lots of games, though most that interested me are multiplat..... night and day versus the difficult to watch ea show.

I'm impressed they really downplayed 1X as exactly what it is. A 1S that makes games prettier, and that it's mostly about 4k. That impressed me they didn't try to ram it down our throats as "teh futurez".

Though i choked when they unveiled the name. Xbox One X ( not to be confused with the One S, not to be confused with the 1 which is now the OG) I guess "Xbox U" was trademarked already?

Right out of the Iwata school of marketing. XBox 3.3 becomes 1X.

But short of that name and the price (awful, but i expected worse) a really good ms show for a change!

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

Yeah, I didn't include anything from the EA conference. My bad.

EDIT: Done. Except for EA sports stuff, I think? Does anyone here care about that? Because if so, you already know the release dates better than I do, post it yourself.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SomeWriter13

@CrazedCavalier Oh! I didn't know that. Very interesting. That's a pretty solid price for a home console. I doubt the Switch could go down to that level without putting Nintendo in the red with every sale.

Still, for a "current gen product" the Switch looks better now than in March, given the upcoming $499 consoles. That might push it to closer to their target sales levels, after all.

SomeWriter13

Dezzy

Xbox back compat is pretty damn cool. Used Xbone consoles are pretty cheap at this point. So now buying 1 allows to play the games of 3 different consoles. Pretty great value for money. Even though I only want to play like 3 games from the original Xbox.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NaviAndMii

NEStalgia wrote:

This is the first time in many many years i actually enjoyed the Microsoft show. They had an entertaining presentation, Lots of games, though most that interested me are multiplat..... night and day versus the difficult to watch ea show.

I'm impressed they really downplayed 1X as exactly what it is. A 1S that makes games prettier, and that it's mostly about 4k. That impressed me they didn't try to ram it down our throats as "teh futurez".

Though i choked when they unveiled the name. Xbox One X ( not to be confused with the One S, not to be confused with the 1 which is now the OG) I guess "Xbox U" was trademarked already?

Right out of the Iwata school of marketing. XBox 3.3 becomes 1X.

But short of that name and the price (awful, but i expected worse) a really good ms show for a change!

See, I just found that rather odd - to build something up for 12 months as a huge leap forward, then reveal that it's 'just' an 'Xbox One X' felt rather underwhelming at first...as you say though, with a name like that, they're clearly not trying to market it as something it's not, so kudos for that - and, as @Grumblevolcano pointed out to me, it does show that they stuck to their word with their 'no one gets left behind' message, which will definitely please their loyal fan base.

The worry I have is that the name almost sets itself up as a direct rival to the considerably cheaper PS4 Pro - especially as the Pro could be due a price cut...are people really going to shell out an extra, say, $150 for a slightly better 4K experience? Had they pitched it as a 'next gen' console, it might have added an extra degree of separation from the PS4 Pro, making the price comparison seem less relevant...?

Overall though, the presentation was pretty positive...the Xbox backwards-compatibility will have been well received - and I always appreciate a presentation with a heavy focus on games I especially liked the announcement of cross-platform play in Minecraft - hope to see lots more of this in the future!

I wish them the best of luck

Edited on by NaviAndMii

NaviAndMii

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, I think cross-platform play is great ..such a forward thinking, consumer friendly addition to gaming - it's something that I'd like to see in all multi-platform online games going forward - end the console wars I say!

I don't recall seeing that the Super-Duper Graphics pack was an exclusive..? Not 100% sure on that though. Not sure how the whole thing is going to work to be honest! ..presumably certain versions are going to need a massive overhaul?? Fair play though, it's a really positive direction that they're taking

CrazedCavalier

@NaviAndMii Phil Spencer was pretty straightforward in interviews: most expected sales are still for the S, with the X being the high-end premium.

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, cross-platform anything is nice.
Of course, Sony refused so Playstation is staying out of that ecosystem.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

FGPackers

Honestly i think Microsoft is just going to give the final blow to Xbox. Even though the console seems awesome, especially on an engineering level, i don't think they did focus enough on what was the principal marketing aspect to push: pure power. Or at least they talked really a lot about it in the last months and then they came out with indies and only Anthem REALLY showing 1X's muscles. Seeing a lot of people saying Xbox compatibility is one of the most interesting things should speak volumes about it. And at that price, with Super Mario Odissey coming for Christmas and whatever Sony will bring to the table, for what it is Scorpio has good chances and potential to ALMOST reach Wii U flop levels. I don't think this time Phil Spencer can save the boat from sinking

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

CrazedCavalier

@FGPackers The One is still handily outdoing the original Xbox (estimates peg it at nearly twice as much).
MS is doing well as a company-- the Xbox brand still has a lot of potential.
If the X sells Wii U numbers, it'll be a major success-- it's a mid-gen hardware refresh made as a premium. They aren't expecting a lot from it.

People always make dumb predictions like this. They never come true.
Sony's been bleeding money since 2008-- they need SCE to succeed, hard. MS can easily afford to keep Xbox around-- especially if, you know, they're still turning a profit from it.

Edited on by CrazedCavalier

NaviAndMii

CrazedCavalier wrote:

@NaviAndMii Phil Spencer was pretty straightforward in interviews: most expected sales are still for the S, with the X being the high-end premium.

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, cross-platform anything is nice.
Of course, Sony refused so Playstation is staying out of that ecosystem.

Well, sure - the PS4 comfortably outsells the PS4 Pro, I wouldn't expect the X1S to X1X ratio to be much different...the point I was making was that, if you're in the market for a high-end console - and the price of a Pro gets cut - are you going to shell out an extra ≈$150 to get the slightly-better 4K console?

Also, I'm pretty sure that all current hardware, PS4 included, will get the Minecraft 'Better Together' update in future - it's just rolling out on PC/Xbox/Switch first...

Peek-a-boo

@CrazedCavalier The original Xbox sold under 25 million; the Xbox One is currently between 27-28 million.

I am not overly sure where those estimates of yours are coming from, given that official NPD data shows that the United States makes up nearly 60% of all Xbox One sales, of which there are approximately 16 million at last count (end of April).

And Sony has made a profit in all of their annual fiscal reports since 2014 with the exception of their mobile phones and Sony Pictures during one quarterly report. Again, not overly sure where they are 'bleeding money' these days when you have financial articles like these: - Sony raises 2017 operating income forecast by 20%

That's their best forecast in two decades by the way!

If the Xbox division is making a profit, why do they continue to lump Xbox in with their Surface, Windows Phone 10 and further (hardware) accessories category during their quarterly/yearly reports?

What possible reason(s) would they chose to keep the Xbox from being in its own standalone category like they used to during their Xbox 360 days? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

Not having a go at you or anything however, I follow sales and financial data out of curiousity from time to time, and some of the things you have said doesn't quite measure up to the official data that both companies publicly release every quarter as well as during their yearly fiscal reports, is all.

Peek-a-boo

CrazedCavalier

@Peek-a-boo The estimates I saw were around 30 million, with the original sitting at 18.
It seems my numbers were incorrect. I remember Sony forecasting major losses a couple years back and my initial searches still made it seem like that was the case. Looking at things further, they still seem to be a bit shaky.
Even if the Xbox division isn't turning profit, it has potential to-- the PS3 wasn't profitable until over half a decade after it was rolled out, for instance. Predictions about scuttling the brand are ridiculous, which was the point I was trying to make

@NaviAndMii Insider reports say Sony specifically said "no" to the deal.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1389656

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic