Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 Fan Thread

Posts 9,301 to 9,320 of 11,497

Dezzy

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

Plus, I'm fond of the "Mathematician's Answer"

Lol, I have an MSc in Mathematics and yet I'd never heard of this before!

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Dezzy

Apparently Mass Effect isn't necessarily dead:

I think they need to give us the only big 7th gen remaster we haven't got yet (as well as MGS4 and Demons Souls).

Knuckles-Fajita

@Dezzy The Mathematicians Answer is basically a way of answering correctly and logically...but not colloquially.

"Would you do X for me?"
"Yes"

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

@Knuckles-Fajita

Yes, I googled it. Ironically that will make you fail a maths exam.

redd214

@Dezzy never understood ea's reluctance to bringing the trilogy over. It would be an instant cash infusion with minimal effort especially if they outsourced it. They did bring up Burnout so I guess that's a sign their changing on that front. Would love to be able to play through the whole trilogy again on the ps4.

redd214

PikPi

Sony says "maybe" for crossplay. I find it ridiculous. As if allowing crossplay is going to suddenly make 40 million people buy xboxes and make them lose the generation. They're way past the point of winning by now. Shame on them. tsk tsk

PikPi

CanisWolfred

^It was certainly a weird position for them to have when a lot of the popluar games that offer crossplay were big hits on PC, and offering crossplay can be seen as a way to help foster the console community that inevitably sprung up afterwords. There are some competitive games that might suffer from the mouse vs controller bit, but...that's up to the devs to figure out. Gating it off completely just doesn't help Sony at all...

I think they said they were concerned that it was a security risk? I don't know enough about that stuff to comment further, so I'm just leaving that here.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

PikPi

@CanisWolfred All we have to go on is a former executive who said at the time of working there, it was a money thing. They just didn't want people having access to a Playstation product if they were on xbox. Makes sense for the PS3, when they were losing. Now it doesn't. I assume that's still the main reason, otherwise it just sorta makes them look incompetent at security, if that was the case

PikPi

Octane

@MisterPi @CanisWolfred There are several reasons why they wouldn't do it (from a business perspective). It's not going to make them lose this generation, but it's part what made them be successful this generation. And it can make a difference going into next gen.

It's not beneficial to them in any way whatsoever. Since they're the market leader, they have little to worry about with 80 million units, and more active users than Xbox (probably even Switch and Xbox combined). Whereas it is beneficial for the smaller players. They get access to a much larger online playerbase. Same reason why Microsoft declined last gen when they were on top.

I think they also view their online playerbase as something they've cultivated over the years with PS+. To them, they're investing into PS+, trying to make that successful, and the result is a large playerbase. Why give that away for nothing? To them it's just another selling point of the PS4, just like their games are.

Plus there was this issue with needing Xbox Live for Minecraft.

Of course, this doesn't take public image into account. Then the question is, which one is more important? All three companies are a business in the end, so I can see the benefits of both sides. I mean, I think it sucks Nintendo is selling 5-year old Wii U games for more than what they were priced on the Wii U. But that's business I guess.

It's also like Pandora's box, once opened, you cannot go back. I think all three companies would've done the same in Sony's position. I don't think Microsoft really cares at the moment, since they're fine with switching everyone over to a digital, streaming-based GamePass feature. Preferably on PC, because they own Windows anyway. And Nintendo has the advantage of handheld gaming, so there will always be a market for that. Maybe they fear for their future position in the console market? I don't know. But I can understand if they wanted to cling on their exclusive playerbase for a while longer.

What's up with Fortnite, I don't know. But maybe people should also tag Epic into the conversation, because they've been awfully quiet too.

Anyway, TLDR, it's a double-edged sword for Sony, and I personally don't care enough about cross-play to make a huge fuss about it. If it allow it? Cool. If they don't. Too bad I guess, but it won't affect me.

Octane

PikPi

It affects me in that I might not care that much, but going into next gen, I know xbox is going to be the best option if I ever do want to play with the most people. I imagine many feel that way. They're on their way to a repeat of the PS3. I hope they don't, but recently they've done nothing to show me they care about me as a customer. Great games, but even that won't save them if they show me they won't play ball.

Not that MS or Nintendo particularly care about -me-, but they know when it'll do more harm to them than good. At least for this case.

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

Malcrash

I gotten Yakuza Kiwami for 10 bucks. Very much a steal as I just prepare for Kiwami 2 in the coming months

Malcrash

Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Me Yesterday -> "Man, I don't think I'll ever go back to Overwatch. I had fun, but I don't think I could ever get used to that intense pace again."

Announces that the next character is a Giant Hamster in a High-Mobility Wrecking-Ball-esque Mech today -> "Man, I can't wait to play Overwatch again! It's gonna be super fun zipping around and crashing full-force into enemies!"

I'm a simple man.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Dezzy

This is interesting. The newest Tomb Raider does seem to be graphically worse than the previous one. I wonder what's going on there. I don't really care that much about this level of nitpicking but it is curious as to how that could happen:

Octane wrote:

I mean, I think it sucks Nintendo is selling 5-year old Wii U games for more than what they were priced on the Wii U. But that's business I guess.

What sucks even more is how damn successful that move has been. Donkey Kong especially is selling like hot cakes.

Edited on by Dezzy

Octane

@Dezzy I don't think it looks worse. Just a slightly cleaner art style.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Depends what they were aiming for I guess. If their intention was to make it look realistic, then I'd say it's worse. If they just wanted a slightly differently style, it just looks different.

Octane

@Dezzy I'm more worried about all the plastic surgery Lara is taking between games. That can't be good for you.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

If the Lara chronology is going to be internally consistent, I think her most important surgery is yet to happen

NEStalgia

@Dezzy Why bother building a PS5. PS4 was made to sell of PS3 games to like they way they were supposed to on the PS3. What will PS5 be, a machine to remaster PS2 games on? Still, an ME remaster would be better than Andromeda.... Actually if they could just remove the second game and put a real ending in the third it could be the best seller of all time.

Yeah, new TR does seem worse.....if I were to bet they were so busy targeting 4k they jettisoned most of the shaders and lighting effects in the process. Of course, it's Tomb raider. Remember how happy they were with DX11's bloom and peculiarity so that the game ran like trash on even screaming fast PCs.

@Octane It's very dangerous, unhealthy, and unnatural. If you look at her story arc in its entirety you can see the devatating toll it took on her going from
This:
Untitled

To this:
Untitled

I think intervention was needed.

Edited on by Octane

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Nah, she's slowly morphing into Chloe and her next game will be called Tomb Raider Lost Legacy before becoming part of the Uncharted franchise for good

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I'm starting to really see what you mean about Western games now. It's not actually most Western games. I'm just now starting to pick up a few that have the problems you described....most aren't like that. Farcry 5. I started the game up....there had to have been, what. half an hour of cutscene mixed with forced walking and "press y" (I started it on X1.) I mean it just went on and on and on. By the time I finally got to play I forgot how to hold a controller, and then it was just some dumb "escape" without any direction and I ended up going the wrong way, getting killed and restarting before finding the "right" way the game wanted me to go without telling me and triggering an event. Then a scripted chase. Then another 15 minutes of cutscene and character creation. And this whole thing was set up like a horror game....I was expecting zombies to pop out at any moment....very "not Farcry" (or very Farcry 1...) Then finally, finally I get outside and into the actual Farcry world that has little in common with the horror flick intro. So I free one hostage, head to the dock to pick up loot, look at the pretty landscape, and turned off the machine...I was already 25 minutes past when I should have put it down but refused to until I saw actual GAMEPLAY. Get over yourselves and must make a movie about a cult leader...why bother gluing that onto a video game mostly about shooting at everything and blowing up everything you see? I'm all for a good story, but it feels like a movie + a video game instead of a story driven video game. Like Quantum Break....except that was integrated.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic