Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,901 to 8,920 of 16,083

Dezzy

redd214 wrote:

@Grumblevolcano damn so E3 is basically a month long from now on lol. Pretty cool they're doing this, give some games that would've probably gotten swallowed up some breathing room. Not expecting any megatons but still cool nonetheless

I think they just want to do more in-depth coverage for their few biggest budget games so are pushing the rest outwards.
Sony know that Last of Us 2 is the biggest thing at E3 by far.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Child of Light is a wonderful little RPG. Looking at the developer, though, I'm shocked that this came out of Ubisoft Montreal (the side generally responsible for Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, etc.) instead of Ubisoft Montpellier (the side responsible for Valiant Hearts and the Rayman games which, I'm sorry, are just so much more similar in style to this game, even down to it being powered by the UbiArt engine).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

redd214

@Dezzy I think this year biggest at e3 is going to go to Smash. As popular and beloved as Last of Us is I honestly don't think it holds a candle to the popularity of smash. Either way going to be lots of bombs dropping for the next week and a half!

redd214

TuVictus

Really? I feel like a decent showing from FF7R or KH3 with a release date could easily overshadow most other games. But either way it's sure to be a banger, at least as far as Sony goes, even if we don't get many surprises, we'll still be seeing lots of much needed footage from known games.

TuVictus

Octane

@redd214 I don't know. As limited as a Last of Us sequel may be, it has a bigger chance of surprising us than Smash Bros. Smash is Smash, if you've played any of the iterations so far, you know exactly how it will play. And it won't look much different from the Wii U version.

Octane

redd214

@Octane yeah I hear ya. I'm not saying it's going to be vastly different and revolutionize the formula or genre, Im just saying in terms of popularity of what will be talked about both at the event and in the media, the "biggest thing at e3" will be smash. I do hope LoU2 wows me personally though. Found the first one to be woefully boring as a game loved the story though.

redd214

Octane

@redd214 How do you determine popularity anyway? If sales are anything to go by, TLOU is just as big, if not bigger (the PS3 + PS4 sales are bigger than Brawl, the best selling Smash game so far)!

Maybe it's just me personally, but I'm not feeling the Smash hype yet.

Octane

redd214

@Octane to be fair it's not a quantifiable thing at all. More of a gut feeling, much like the "who won e3" every year. There's really no checklist for that mainly just perception and preference.

I'm the opposite, havent had a Nintendo console in a couple decades so I have never had a Smash game so I'm really excited about it. Last of Us 2, not so much. I know this is blasphemous in a PS thread but I honestly didn't care for Uncharted 2 or 3 or the Last of Us. Like I said the storylines got their hooks in me but find them lackluster as games. About half way through LoU I just stopped playing and watched the remainder of the story on YouTube lol.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Grumblevolcano

The big difference between 2014 and 2018 is the Smash hype train was going strong leading up to E3 2014. There were lots of teases whether in the form of character trailers in Directs, daily images, etc.

2018 has the Inkling reveal trailer which confirms the Inklings and that BotW Link is present in some form. BotW Link could be a new character like how Toon Link was added to Brawl, a replacement for Twilight Princess Link or even just an alt for Twilight Princess Link like how Alph is an Olimar alt in Smash 4.

It's understandable for Smash Switch hype to not be as much as Smash 4 at the moment.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Octane You have to understand there's this really weird part of the Nintendo internet community that has a really freakish obsession with Smash the way 90's kids were obsessed with Street Fighter. In their minds it's one of the biggest games and franchises that have ever existed, and the whole world waits with anticipation to hear the word "Smash" the single biggest name in gaming, from which all other gaming, especially competitive gaming, flows.

Back in the real world, there's TLoU2, Spiderman, and Battlefront.

Smash was something I never even noticed existed, had barely ever heard of, and would surely not have paid attention to. Then when I was desperately searching for Wii games with coop, heard Brawl was this fun thing with a good coop campaign and had a blast with it. Not until I started into Splatoon online did I encounter this odd fervent obsessive community who is its own echobox for which Smash is the source of all gaming hype, and all other online games are compared to Smash.

Sure it does sell well overall, though, particularly Brawl, the one that Smash purists refuse to acknowledge. Lets face it, it's a game that's only been on two successful consoles: Wii and 3DS. N64, GCN, and WiiU were all fairly dark recesses of gaming. Not exactly E3 show stoppers. But never tell a Smash obsessive it's not as monumental a force as they believe it is as they will cite how important it is at fighting tournaments, and that ESPN now covers those so it's the big deal!

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia I'm aware of that. I've played Smash since the its N64 debut, but I too was surprised to find such an obsessive fan base on the internet. It's definitely not akin to any other game I know of. For me though? After four Smash games on the N64, GameCube, Wii and Wii U, I've seen most of it. I don't expect a big change, just more of the same, except this time it wont enjoy a jump in resolution. I'll be there when the E3 Direct airs, but the Smash segment will be nothing more than a formal confirmation of what I expect a Smash game on the Switch to be like.

Octane

TuVictus

I echo the sentiment that it's hard to get hyped for Smash again since it turns out I value the single player portions of it more than the multiplayer portion, which is the main point, and what they will most likely focus on again.

But to bring it back to playstation, does anyone think we'll get a VR game that'll push the medium forward again like RE7 seemed to do for it? Not saying it made VR mainstream, but it definitely gave it a healthy lifeline where without it, I imagine PSVR would be at Vita levels of enthusiasm

TuVictus

Octane

@MisterPi Spider-Man playable in VR, pre-order now and get a free bucket and a paper bag

We're getting a PS4 game announcement tomorrow with PSVR support, on June 9 we're getting a PSVR game, and the day after we're getting an ''eagerly anticipated'' PSVR game announcement. That's something to look forward to if you're looking for VR stuff. Whatever they are, I have no idea!

Octane

TuVictus

I feel like the best VR games for me so far are the ones that have it as an option instead of being designed around it like RE7. In other words, regular games with VR instead of VR games made for VR lol

TuVictus

redd214

To anyone who is interested in the PS e3 Theater experience, the tickets will be available free in about 30 minutes from this post. Head over to the ps blog for the info!

redd214

Haru17

@Grumblevolcano Well Nintendo are being obtuse when the first thing on everyone's mind is '$60 Wii U port.' People will get hyped when Smash 5 is announced, not before.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah, I really don't get it, and never expected it. Smash is almost off the radar until you find pools of nintendo fans on the internet. Then all of a sudden it becomes the centerpiece of all gaming history, to which all other games are second, and all online games are compared to their equivalent actions in Smash. It's just flat weird, honestly. More weird is most of the people who view it as a franchise empire to rival Pokemon seem to come from the GameCube era....the console that ALMOST sold worse than WiiU.

@MisterPi Same! Subspace was THE Smash game for me. Never once did a 1v1 duel or anything online. I bought it for the solo and was pleased. WiiU's monopoly board offered me nothing but a fighting game. But not as interesting a fighter as, say, SF, or SC. Or even Pokken.

@Haru17 Of course "Smash 5" will look and play suspiciously like Super Smash Bros. for WiiU and people will get hyped anyway. And it will probably be called "Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch" just to make sure fans can argue forever if it's a port or a 5

@MisterPi Skyrim is kind of the cool one to me...but it's a shame it looks so bare bones. Still, walking around that world is just amazing. I just wish saves were compatible with the 2D game. Reading all that text in the helmet for minutae is kind of annoying. Moss is wonderful though.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia Hah, the GameCube was all about Mario, Zelda and Metroid for me! But I did play a lot of multiplayer games with friends back in the day; Smash, Mario Strikers, Mario Party, etc.

I also take it you own a PSVR then? Going through the list on Wikipedia, I'm surprised to see the amount of games available (and coming up)!

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic