Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,021 to 8,040 of 16,083

Haruki_NLI

It's just been confirmed Kaz Hirai is leaving at the start of the next fiscal year.

I'm half expecting him to be replaced by someone who follows Kodera's love of services.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@YummyHappyPills He's getting replaced by a Yoshida guy (not Shu!), and he has worked closely with Kaz Hirai for the past couple of years.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

System wide super sampling on the PS4 Pro is finally going to be a thing in the next firmware update, hooray! It may well be over a year or so late, but at least it is now happening.

• PSone games support, PSN name changes and to be able to fully customise our themes.

That’s all I wish to ask for, which isn’t much in all honesty...

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo PSone game support in what extent

Peek-a-boo

@YummyHappyPills Well, to be able to offer PSone games!

They have made a (slow) start with PS2 Classics so, why not introduce PSone games in some capacity?

Upon looking at the notes for the 5.50 firmware, you’ll also FINALLY be able to ‘hide’ betas, demos and free-to-play stuff whilst all of the games that you actually bought shall be available to view in a separate catergory under ‘purchased’. All of your PS+ library will have a separate catergory of its own too.

Peek-a-boo

Haruki_NLI

@Peek-a-boo Hmm.

See if its in the quality and release calendar like the PS2 Classics then no thanks, I expect at least frame rate parity with original releases. Further some PSone Classics on PS3 were bug riddled (Take the Spyro Trilogy having HUGE slowdown issues, and being the US versions despite what the PSBlog said about that issue in 2011) but worked fine if from a disc.

Starburst

I FINALLY got a ps4 yesterday and im loving it so far. I got Horizon, Bloodborne and Kingdom Hearts 1.5, 2.5 Final mix thing or whatever its called. Does anyone have any recommendations for some good Rpg/Action Adventure games?

Whats poppin

Switch Friend Code: SW-5982-6570-5215 | 3DS Friend Code: 3583-5718-9476 | My Nintendo: Neko | Nintendo Network ID: Nekokanane

Haruki_NLI

@Nekoo77 Ratchet and Clank for Action/Adventure, easily.

RPGs though? PErsona 5 is one everyone talks about. South Park, Ys VIII, Final Fantasy

Ralizah

@Nekoo77 If you don't mind turn-based combat, then Persona 5 is a must. Also recommend the weird yet fascinating Yakuza 0 and the two wonderful Gravity Rush games: Gravity Rush Remastered (the original, an HD port of the PS Vita game) and Gravity Rush 2.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Nekoo77 One of the best RPGs on the PS4 is The Witcher 3, a must-buy IMO. Don't worry if you haven't played the previous games, this game is perfectly playable on its own. It's the best example of how games should do side quests. Your choice influences the story and certain outcomes. So there's plenty of replay value too. But the fact that there's over 200 hours of content means it's well worth your money, even for a single playthrough.

As for action/adventure. There are the Uncharted games. All four games are available, and the latest spin-off entry as well. Whilst the first one isn't particularly good (it has aged poorly), they get better with each new entry in the franchise. Of course, I have to squeeze The Last of Us in here somewhere, since it's still one of my favourite games of all time. Brilliant atmosphere and narrative, and I just love the stealth and survival gameplay.

Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are both very good as well. And if you don't mind games that lean a bit more towards the platformer genre, you should try out Tearaway Unfolded. It's from the developers behind Little Big Planet, and the game supports the DS4 in weird and unique ways.

What about the upcoming Shadow of the Colossus remake and 2016's spiritual successor The Last Guardian? Both are brilliant games, but not everyone loves them. The controls can be a bit wonky, but the game itself makes up for it IMO.

If you're also into indie games, you should check out Hyper Light Drifter. It's like a 2D Zelda, but more fast-paced and difficult. The music is great too!

Octane

Starburst

@YummyHappyPills @Ralizah Thanks so much for the replies! Ratchet and Clank looks super fun. Just looked up Gravity Rush and it intrigued me, It looks super cool. Ive heard of Persona, it looks great but does it have a story I would need to catch up on, or is it separate from the other games in the series?

Whats poppin

Switch Friend Code: SW-5982-6570-5215 | 3DS Friend Code: 3583-5718-9476 | My Nintendo: Neko | Nintendo Network ID: Nekokanane

NEStalgia

@YummyHappyPills Aww, that's sad, I liked Kaz, and he's done such great things with PS.

@Peek-a-boo But....why...even MHW can't keep a steady frame rate on the Pro as is at 1080... Still, cool! And that's awesome about the UI. I finally started buying some PSN stuff (@Octane it finally let me pay btw.....they will NEVER get their online right, will they?) and discovered the hot mess the interface is. Filters are VERY welcome. Wonder if it will let you sort the ridiculous 10 entries for every little DLC that comes with a GOTY game? Dragon Age: GOTY, Hitman GOTY, each has like 10 entries in my list.

@Nekoo nothing anyone else hasn't said. Persona 5 for JRPG, FFXV for....whatever FF has become, Horizon you already have, Skyrim, Fallout, there's a lot of odder or lesser known RPGs that are less great. The Assassin's Creed series if your'e not familiar with it is action adventure, Far Cry. Oh, Infamous.... the PS4 entry isn't the best of the series though. Fun gameplay, but narrative weak. Knack 1/2, Gravity Rush 1/2, Mass Effect (sort of shooter, sort of RPG), Dragon Age (sort of RPG, sort of.......shooter?) Deus Ex (sadly HR isn't on PS4.) Borderlands is a shooter-RPG best for coop play. I'm probably missing a lot. I'm trying to recall my massive stack of unopened games.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Nekoo77 Each Persona game is a unique game with a unique story, none of them are interrelated at all (except spinoffs like Persona Q on 3DS that took 3 & 4 and mashed them together.)

NEStalgia

Starburst

@Octane Woah, Thank you too! Shadow of the Colossus ill pick up for sure, its one of the reasons I got a Ps4 actually. I never got to play it and always wanted too. As for the last guardian, how is the Ai? ive heard people complain that it is kinda bad
Also I totally forgot that the Last of Us existed, I can finally play it!!

@NEStalgia Alright so I can play Persona 5 and not be completely lost, that's good to know. I saw infamous and almost picked it up, I thought it looked pretty fun. Also isn't Knack a notoriously bad game? And again thank you for the recommendations as well!

Whats poppin

Haruki_NLI

@Nekoo77 Knack is notoriously average, not bad.

As for Last Guardian they AI isnt bad...its just when solving puzzles the game communicates all of the following in the same way:

Your solution is wrong, therefore nothing happens
Your solution is right but its stubborn for bonding purposes
Your solution isnt being recognised

All 3 of those things are conveyed in the exact same way and sadly when a mechanic is the bird thing not listening...sometimes you could just be frustrated hy the game doing subtle story stuff but think its messed up or youre wrong.

Starburst

That sounds frustrating, but if the story is good then maybe its worth giving a try.

Whats poppin

NEStalgia

@Nekoo77 Infamous, I'm particularly addicted to. It's one of the few games I've ever actually bought DLC for to get more of it. But it can be repetititve, especially Second Son. The PS3 games, IMO had much more interesting worlds and stories, and characters. Especially the first one, had a great setup, in a New York like environment, and had some neat plot twists and mysteries. The second gets the most praise (PS3) but I didn't actually like it as much. It was more diverse in gameplay but it went to far from "dark brooding, Batmanesque semi-noir" to all out Spiderman type action comic style. And the flat landscape of New Orleans didn't do it any favors. Second Son's Seattle returned to a better landscape for gameplay with more leaping from roof to roof, and the combat play was a joy, but it was clearly rushed for PS4 launch window and the game felt smaller, and the main character had less dimension than a Labo kit. I do find gameplay addicting though.

Knack....people gripe on it but I think most of that hate came from it being a launch title they touted as showing off the power of PS4, and it ended up as a brawler-platformer that looked a bit like Skylanders without toys. I found the game pretty enjoyable all the same, though I'm in the minority and intend to pick up the second. It wasn't especially challenging, but it's a fun Saturday Morning Cartoon throwback. Looks like it's free with PS+ next month, so if you're a subscriber you get to find out either way

NEStalgia

Octane

@Nekoo77 It's difficult to say. The Last Guardian is certainly not unplayable. But you're working together with an AI, and you're trying to convey commands by jumping and pointing at things. Of course, the AI is also programmed to do a lot of stuff on its own. So there are times where it ignores you, or the AI simply doesn't understand you. It didn't hamper my experience though, and I was never stuck for too long. I think you can get the game for around $20, and for that price it's definitely worth trying at least.

Infamous: Second Son is good. I haven't played the other entries, but some say Second Son is the weakest entry. It got a bit repetitive near the end, but jumping and ''flying'' around in the city is pretty neat. I got it pretty cheap, so I can't complain.

Octane

TuVictus

Two questions: If I could never get into the Monster Hunter games on 3DS, would World persuade me? I think it was mostly a case of the game going "go hunt" and me sucking at it/not knowing what the hell to do most of the time.

Also, anyone get Dissidia NT? How is it? I never played the PSP ones, though I hear they're not very similar to this one anyway. Would it be good for someone that doesn't typically play fighting games like SFV, but loves a game like Smash?

TuVictus

Octane

@MisterPi I played a bit of Tri on the Wii, but I quit. Don't remember why. Playing World, I like it a lot, but the menus, tutorials and the way the game is set up is still quite confusing at times. Then there's missions, bounties, hunts, assignments, expeditions. Some you need to report back when you're done, sometimes you don't. Everything could be easier and a bit more streamlined I think. Hunting and combat are fun though.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic