Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,501 to 7,520 of 16,083

Octane

I can't even remember my first game...

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy Because Spyro is that dear to me. I'm an indie dev for God's sake. It started somewhere.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

-Green-

My first game was either Tetris or Pokemon Red. I'm not sure which one came first for me.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

I definitely played Tetris before I played Pokemon. Mario 64 comes before Pokemon, and I played that too. I remember Super Mario World too, or some kind of bootleg 2D Mario game. We had an old PC, I played something on that, I'm certain of it, but I doubt it was either an official game or legal. Or maybe copyright laws for digital goods didn't exist back then, in that case it was legal.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Are we doing a ‘what’s our first games’ list?

SNES - Super Mario World
N64 - Super Mario 64
GameCube - Star War Rogue Squadron II (this was a launch day game, and it was still the best looking game on the GameCube when all was said and done!)
Wii - Wii Sports (I believe I played a game of bowling first)
Wii U - Super Mario 3D Land
PlayStation 4 - Bloodborne (and it is still my favourite game of this generation)

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

I think it was supposed to be first game ever. Not on each console

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

First game I remember wanting to play was Sonic 2 on the Genesis. First game I truly remember being in love with was Mario and Banjo on the N64

TuVictus

Dezzy

Everything before Super Mario Bros was basically awful.

CanisWolfred

I get what Yummy's saying. A remake of a beloved game better be good. I love HeartGold/FireRed not only because they're good Pokemon games, but they were great improvements of two of my earliest childhood games, while still staying faithful to what I recall enjoying about them all those years ago. It was like rediscovering my childhood and I found myself falling in love with those games all over again.

On the hand, I've been very critical of Star Fox Zero, Ratchet & Clank PS4/The Movie, and to a lesser degree for this argument, Metroid: Other M - and after hearing input from people who enjoyed them, I think I might've been a bit too critical. Since they insist on reiterating and changing things that I loved about their original games - games I still play and enjoy today - I couldn't help but feel a sense of betrayal, like they were trying to ruin the good memories I already had. I think that does come off as a bit silly, though, and I think I'll have to revisit those games soon. However, there's still no denying that they're flawed. Ratchet & Clank was short, and the story honestly felt rushed. Hell, the only reason I no longer hate the story from the movie is because the idea that this is all being told by Captain Qwark in and of itself explains so many of the changes to the story that it's much easier for me to enjoy. It's not really what happened, but I could definitely see Captain Qwark telling this way if he was ever asked, similar to those Qwark Vid-Comics from Up Your Arsenal.

Star Fox Zero might actually be really fun if I could get used to it, especially since it seems like there is a control option I didn't know about that means I don't have to use Motion controls all the time, just when it's really necessary. I think. I really gotta check...

Other M....it's not really a remake, so much as a prequel with major retcons, but I still think it fits this argument. Personally, I don't think it even remotely resembles what I want out of a Metroid game, both in atmosphere and story, and I still don't think the gameplay was that great. I don't think exploring its would was very satisfying. I don't think it implemented the first person sections very well. I don't think it had enough of an isolated atmosphere for me to really take it is setting, and I think that's less to do with the story or setting as much as the action gameplay itself. It just made things too fast and easy too quickly for my tastes. I'm not even saying it has to be scary, but if this is supposed to be before Samus proves herself as a bounty hunter, why is Samus so much more agile and physically powerful than she is in any other Metroid game? Is this just the brash methods of a young bounty hunter looking to prove themself? (Oh wait, it takes place between Super Metroid and Fusion. Still ignores one of my favorite games in the series outside of repeating its linearity and telling a story that we didn't really need to see to understand its impact on the character, but whatever, I was still wrong here) Or is this just Team Ninja doing what worked in their games about bad*** ninja wars, with barely any concern for how this fits into Metroid as a whole?...my money's on the latter

...However, at the same time, I could see why people might still enjoy the gameplay of it. It's not Metroid in my eyes, but I guess that doesn't immediately equate to bad. Hell, I really like Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2. If its even half as good as those, I could definitely seeing people enjoying so long as they're judging the game based on its own merits. I'm just not one of those people.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

It would be kinda hard to mess up Spyro. Just get the level designs the same and the physics the same. The rest is just detail.

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy You say that...look at Crash. They use Crash 3 physics for all 3, and in Crash 1 that does NOT work with the level design built around different physics and hit detection

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

gcunit

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Wii U - Super Mario 3D Land

Liar

My first experience of video games came either on a school BBC Micro, or on the Acorn Electron we got at home.

On the BBC Micro, Blitzkrieg was probably a contender, as I think there was a tank involved, though I suspect it was educational and involved spelling, which isn't Blitzkrieg.

On the Acorn Electron it was probably something like Arcadians on the legendary Introductory Cassette.

First games I remember beating (which only happens rarely in my life) were Repton and Creepy Cave.

First console game would have been something on a friend's Sega Master System probably.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TuVictus

Once you learn which way to play, the game becomes ridiculously fun. It was my first Souls-like game and it's still my favorite. Something about not having to worry about shielding makes it more exciting for me.

TuVictus

-Green-

It's arguably an easier game. Not having to worry about weight and having so many quick means of healing is pretty big. It also rewards pure and fast aggression which should fit right at home with most new players I'd assume. At least in my experience, in DS3 I played pretty defensively alternating between Close combat and Pyromancy.

I could do without the grind for Bullets and Vials, and the lamp/bonfire system in this game is awful compared to DS3.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Wow, you really were all Nintendo before this generation, weren't you? Kind of the opposite of me. I mean, I owned Nintendo consoles, but between NES and Wii U I can count the number of games I played for more than an hour or two on the intervening systems (SNES/N64/Gamecube/Wii) on two hands. At least, until the last few years, where I've gone back and played a ton of the classics.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

Intended or not, I think Peek-a-boo's list idea is more interesting. I'm gonna do first game that I owned that I played on each system though, otherwise it gets beyond my memory (and is probably Halo or an AAA local coop game).

Game Boy (never owned): Pokemon Red Version
Game Boy Advance (never owned): Pokemon Sapphire Version
Gamecube: Either Super Mario Sunshine or Ocarina of Time, can't honestly remember which I played first.
Xbox: Halo 2
DS: Mario Kart DS
Xbox 360: Halo 3
PS3: Uncharted 3
Wii: Twilight Princess
3DS: A Link Between Worlds
PS4: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

@Octane

You starting it for the first time now? And have you played any of the other soulsborne games previously?

Edited on by Dezzy

ieatdragonz

I like these lists, and I have terrible memory so refreshing myself is fun.

Gameboy Advance: Pokemon Ruby
Gamecube (Backwards compatibility): Sonic Adventure 2
Wii: Probably Wii play or Super Paper Mario (other than Wii Sports)
DS: Pokemon Blue Mystery Dungeon
Xbox 360: Wolfenstein 2009
Wii U: Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (other than Nintendo Land)
3DS: Animal Crossing New Leaf
PS4: Uncharted 4
Switch: Zelda BOTW

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic