Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,481 to 7,500 of 16,083

Haru17

Well, it's not paid for if you don't want it to be... In any case, you would need PS+ to play online anyway. This beta is online only because it's a stress test and Capcom don't want people to get tired of the game before launch. That's why it's coming out at the start of of December. In any case, there's a chance of more betas or demos closer to launch.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

@Peek-a-boo Bleh. I'll never understand why people were so impressed with the first Xenoblade.

Really unique world, good characters, good storytelling, only good JRPG in 7th gen.

This. I still feel like I'll be lucky if I enjoy Xenoblade 2 even half as much as the first or even Xenoblade Chonicles X...which I haven't started yet. I really need to correct that oversight before I get a Nintendo Switch...

In the meantime, I watched some Completionist videos (which I learned I shouldn't do on an empty stomach since he references food a lot...I'm gonna be making a lot of sandwhiches this week. Maybe I should try some chicked salad on a Cresent Roll bun?), and finally got convinced to try Yooka-Laylee again, since it really seems like it was everything it set out to be.

So far it's...alright. I'll admit that it's a bit difficult to adjust to since I have played so few singleplayer games recently. I probably should've started with something that I could start from the beginning instead of continuing a save file from April. However, I still want to give it a chance, since my expectations are much lower now than when it first released, and it's possible that it might grow on me. The second world is definitely better than the first, for instance.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

Wow, just realized vita no longer even exists on the PlayStation. Com nav. Even vue is up there. Vita is truly well dead as WiiU.

Steamworld Dig 2 didn't even show up on psn store.
Had to search for it in order to get it. They've definitely abandoned maintaining it incredibly early.
Meanwhile I'm still buying games for it. Just ordered Ys8 for the Vita. Gonna get round to Trails of Cold Steel 2 at some point next year. Also looking forward to trying Odin Sphere. Oh and I STILL haven't played Persona 4. Still as current a console as anything is if you like JRPGs.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@subpopz Nor does it even resemble an MMO in most ways. It's a linear, story-driven JRPG. It doesn't even have any online elements.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

NintendoLife Community Rules:
2. General Behaviour
h. Don't argue semantics with Haru17.

Octane

Haru17

If you guys would like to miss the point, that's okay. That doesn't change the fact that Xenoblade plays exactly like most MMORPGs and the MOBAs that spawned from them. Enemies and abilities aren't unique or physical, they're just models that animate. Those animations don't matter, only the numbers that rise from their auto-attacking and hot bar-based abilities matter.

The gameplay is watching health bars go down, the quests are fetch because they're mass-produced to sate the playerbase, and the areas are laid out in a very clinical where rather than existing for any sort of story purpose. You'll see groups of X enemy type in an area doing nothing and pacing back and forth waiting the protagonist to come and farm them for the aforementioned fetch quests. The reason multiple of a couple enemy types are placed together was originally to accommodate multiple players in an area at the same time, however that purpose is lost in singleplayer MMOs like Xenoblade.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Has that been added on the end of a list of rules or has it just replaced all of the others?

Ralizah

Haru17 wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that Xenoblade plays exactly like most MMORPGs and the MOBAs that spawned from them. Enemies and abilities aren't unique or physical, they're just models that animate.

It really doesn't, though. As I pointed out, XC is a linear, story-driven JRPG. Nothing like an MMO, aside from the presence of auto-attacks and tons of fetch quests, which, sorry, doesn't make something an MMO.

Haru17 wrote:

Those animations don't matter, only the numbers that rise from their auto-attacking and hot bar-based abilities matter.

That's pretty standard for RPGs where only stats and positioning matter.

Haru17 wrote:

The gameplay is watching health bars go down, the quests are fetch because they're mass-produced to sate the playerbase, and the areas are laid out in a very clinical where rather than existing for any sort of story purpose. You'll see groups of X enemy type in an area doing nothing and pacing back and forth waiting the protagonist to come and farm them for the aforementioned fetch quests.

Again, nothing unusual about this in RPGs. Most of this could apply just as well to something like Dragon Quest VIII as it could Xenoblade Chronicles.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

subpopz wrote:

Haru17 You're missing the point. It's not even defending Xenoblade. You think its an open world, fetch quest. Great, that's your opinion.
The point is Xenoblade is not multiplayer, nor is it online. MMO is not a genre. This is akin to saying vinyl records is a genre of music. Or just like "first-person" is a gametype/viewpoint, not a genre. You can have first-person fighting, RPG, shooter, adventure, etc.
Single player MMO is an oxymoron and doesn't exist.

I think this post sums it up rather well.

Octane

Dezzy

I don't think the concept of 'fetch quests' need be taken literally. Mario Odyssey is a fetch quest. It's a quest to fetch that future moment where I have completed and enjoyed the game, and bring it back to the quest giver, my present desires.

Haruki_NLI

So what do these games have to do with the PS4 exactly? Yo @Tasuki. They're slightly off topic. ;p

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

Predictions for PSX?

I either need to see Bloodborne 2 or FF7 remake. Either would keep me happy.

Edited on by Dezzy

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki Dear God man get a sense of humour and learn to spot jokes.

Does the fabric of space-time fracture when you smile or something?

Anyway @Dezzy I'm holding out for Spyro remakes, and maybe a new Ratchet and Clank. Anything else is just cake icing that I tend to ignore since icing tastes horrible, but I'm sure PSX will make everyone happy.

Dezzy

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Anyway @Dezzy I'm holding out for Spyro remakes,

That's a third thing that would keep me happy. Has there been any reason to think they're doing that though? Beyond the fact that Crash sold well?
I've always said that the original Spyro trilogy is the only thing that's come close to competing with Mario in terms of 3D platformers.

Edited on by Dezzy

Tasuki

@YummyHappyPills I would love a Spyro remake, but not quite sure Activision would let the happen, if they do it more then likely would be littered with loot boxes.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

-Green-

Bloodborne 2 announcement would be hilarious, btw, the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst can shove it. Super cheap enemy.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy @Tasuki First4Figures did a Spyro statue and Activision said they are looking, based on how Crash sold, to revive more franchises.

My issue is though, given Spyro was my first game, I would be more scrutinising with that than I was with Crash.

And I was rough on Crash for things that control worse than the originals, and changing the physics so they don't quite work with the original level design.

I would be 100% merciless with them on Spyro. It'd be a fun read given I've been playing the games since launch back in 98, but still.

Octane

@Dezzy Keeping my expectations low. It is rumoured that Sony delayed the reveal of DMC5 till E3 2018, since they didn't want a repeat of this year's E3; very few announcements. So, just give me some release dates or release windows. Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima coming in 2018 is all I need to know.

@YummyHappyPills The PlayStation 4 thread on NintendoLife is a proud supporter of off-topic nonsense!

Octane

Dezzy

YummyHappyPills wrote:

My issue is though, given Spyro was my first game, I would be more scrutinising with that than I was with Crash.

Your first game ever? Why does that mean you should be more scrutinising?

Lol, guess I'll have to be more scrutinising of Impossible Mission on the Commodore 64. (first game I ever played)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic