Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 fan thread.

Posts 7,481 to 7,500 of 7,729

CanisWolfred

YummyHappyPills wrote:

"But the game is old it should be at the discounted price myeeeeh"

What? Someone had to say it. It's tradition at this point.

Because that's just how market depreciation works.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

YummyHappyPills

@CanisWolfred I know that. We call it a joke. Referencing people complaining about $60 ports. Like, that costs money.

In this case though, no, I don't agree with the price. It is far above and beyond what should be charged given the DLC is going to earn it's development cost back separately, and the cost of production of a new SKU for the game is also not that high.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

CanisWolfred

YummyHappyPills wrote:

@CanisWolfred I know that. We call it a joke. Referencing people complaining about $60 ports. Like, that costs money.

In this case though, no, I don't agree with the price. It is far above and beyond what should be charged given the DLC is going to earn it's development cost back separately, and the cost of production of a new SKU for the game is also not that high.

Wait, I'm lost, what are we talking about? I thought this was in reference to Horizons Complete Edition...

Anyways, I've been playing a lot of Paragon lately. Got really into the deck building aspect, lately...which I'm sure makes it sound more like a card game than a MOBA, but it's just how character building works in this game. Instead of having seperate systems like Masteries, Rune pages, items, and equipment like in League of Legends (or least, that's how they used to do it. Even League is streamlining things now, which I've greatly appreciated thus far) - you have everything set up beforehand, where characters put points into three different stats, while building towards obtaining cards and gems that they picked out beforehand in pre-built "decks". Of course, every character has 3 standard decks that are useful in a variety of situations, but there's so much strategy involved in building your characters, it's a lot of fun to see if you've made the right build for the right character, that also works well with your team.

It still can be difficult. Lord knows it can be really difficult if you've gone out of your way to fit a character into a niche they don't rightly fit into. I've seen a lot of "round hole/square peg" situations with mage-type characters lately, for instance. It's so weird, though I'm under the impression it's mostly people who have been playing for so long that they need to try these sorts of things in order to keep themselves involved. I mean, it rarely works. I once had a co-op match where I was testing out a deck I made for ranged marksmen, mostly because a character named Twinblast had been recently reworked, and I wanted more excuses to play with him and see how he feels now. Unfortunately, the rest of my team was doing poorly, and eventually 3 people quit. It was just me and a mage character, Gideon, to finish the match. I mean, it totally could've worked...except this particular Gideon player felt he should focus more on shooting little energy blasts from his hands instead of utilizing cards that could power up the meteors he drops from the sky! Hell, I think that was after they replaced his slowing tether ability with a meteor that flies in a line, it just further baffles me. I had to watch as he slowly blasted at the minions storming our base, while I was mulching the all the Bots, desperately trying to salvage this match. I'm honestly under the impression everyone else quit because of Gideon, who I recall stormed left lane, thus leaving mid lane unguarded, and likely feeding the enemy carry some easy kills.

At least I had some redemption today, when I had an eirily similar experience, except instead of Gideon, it was me as Twinblast and another mage, this time an assassin, named Shinbi. This could've been even worse. Shinbi has poor defense, yet needs to get in close, while trying to hit the same target multiple times in quick succession in order to pull off an ultimate that grows in strength the more times you've hit a single hero with your abilities, up to 8 times. Granted, she can still do well against waves of minions, it can also make you an easy target if you don't have a team backing you. Thankfully they played smart, didn't over extend themselves, and we won with over 40 kills between us...and that was after 3 guys had left because they just...couldn't figure out how to play. They kept walking into a bad situation and died repeatedly, never backing down when it was obvious that another hit or two would kills them, and they were barely doing damage because that's what happens when you don't grind beforehand. It was infuriating.

So yeah, with that said, I've been having fun. Poor teammates come with the terriory, and I see it more often in Coop vs the AI, if only because you need to have at least some confidence to play PVP. Not to say that confidence is always well-founded, but I think you get the idea. And at least a lose is always something to learn from.

Anywho:

Overwatch just updated, and I know a new character is on the way...Paladins is also fixing up some of my bigger gripes in its next patch (plus a new champion), so I may be back to Hero FPS games, soon enough.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Octane

They're like the antithesis of EA!

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/932224394541314055

''Worry not. When thinking CP2077, think nothing less than TW3 — huge single player, open world, story-driven RPG. No hidden catch, you get what you pay for — no bullshit, just honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. We leave greed to others.''

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Yes, I saw this.

Good that they know what people want. And also cool that despite the huge success, the company still talks to people in non-business speak.

Although I really can't be doing with this whole idea that seems to have been popularised by Bernie Sanders that some companies have shady practices simply because they're greedy.
Lol, why do you think other companies try and keep people happy? For the sake of general niceness? Of course not. That's also to make profit. It's either greed for both of them or neither of them.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Octane

@Dezzy Define ''greed'', is everyone who sells something greedy by default? Both companies are trying to make a profit, one's doing that by giving us what we want; a complete game with no nonsense attached, the other one is trying to squeeze every last penny out of their customers with loot boxes. I know which one I prefer!

A user on PushSquare posted a link to a series of documentaries on Youtube on CDPR, well worth the watch if you have a couple of hours to spare! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDaiox6QqE&list=PL-THgg8...

Octane

Ralizah

@Dezzy All human behavior is motivated primarily by self-interest, but that doesn't mean that all human behavior also necessarily needs to be exploitative. Even if both companies are motivated by "greed," one seems to largely show respect for its customers and give them polished experiences that are worth their money, whereas the other seems to regard them as bottomless piggy banks.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Octane

@Ralizah The Witcher was Polish, not polished..!

I'll see myself out...

Octane

gcunit

@Octane Before you leave would you mind editing your outrageous profanity, or you gon' make me do it for you?

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Ralizah

@Octane Let's meet half-way and say the game is likely... Polished.

I am seriously hype for Cyberpunk 2077, though, even not having any experience with the developer. Fantasy environments and stories typically bore me, which is probably a big reason why I haven't touched TW3 yet and could never get into Game of Thrones. I live and breathe cyberpunk, though. So the idea of an open world Cyberpunk RPG is exciting.

Octane

@Ralizah Well, I love Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings too, so the Witcher was made for me. But Blade Runner 2049 was probably one of the better things that happened this year, so I don't mind cyberpunk either! The studio made big improvements with each entry in the Witcher series, if they keep this up, I'm sure Cyberpunk 2077 will be great game by default.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Blade Runner 2049 was amazing! Imagine a game with even a tenth of that film's visual ambition.

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Define ''greed'', is everyone who sells something greedy by default?

I guess you'd define it as someone who wants more than they need. So that's basically everyone except a few Buddhist monks.

Octane

@Ralizah Preferably a good soundtrack too (I even pre-ordered the limited edition Blade Runner vinyl after I saw that film). I can't get over how good it was!

But yes, give me those holograms that scream ''80's, but futuristic!''.

Octane

CanisWolfred

^Wow, are we seriously doing this?

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy All human behavior is motivated primarily by self-interest, but that doesn't mean that all human behavior also necessarily needs to be exploitative. Even if both companies are motivated by "greed," one seems to largely show respect for its customers and give them polished experiences that are worth their money, whereas the other seems to regard them as bottomless piggy banks.

The End.

Anyways, still playing Paragon. Pretty much found my footing with all but a few characters. They're previewing the next big update tomorrow (hopefully. It's already been delayed due to unexpected issues), so we'll see whether or not all that work will go out the window, since they're apparently going to focus more on balancing and character-related changes going into next year, plus some more visual updates. I hope that includes some changes to Howitzer. I knew a rodent riding a mech named after a cannon would be slow, but good god does it suck if literally anyone catches up to you when you play as him. His only means of peeling off enemies is a mana-hungry bomb that's just as good at disorienting you as it is for your enemies, or your Ultimate ability...which is so difficult to land that I now believe it's not actually meant to be a weapon. Instead, the massive hail of missiles is nothing more than a deterrant to keep enemies from chasing you.

Unless Dekker is on your team, but then, quite frankly, she's a much greater threat overall to your enemies than Howitzer, just die to the sheer amount of crowd control options she has - a long-range stun, a slow bubble that deals damage when it pops, and an ultimate ability that walls enemies in and prevents them from escaping your team's wrath. Add any sort of status effect to it, like removing ability armor, and now that hail of missiles from Howitzer might seem like a threat once they've been walled in by Dekker (or not. Chances are good you'd have to double down of all that stuff just to be useful as Howi anyways. But that can come at the cost of sheer power).

It's just frustrating knowing there's a character I can only be good with if I have a specific support on my team, but then I'd rather play anyone else instead. Otherwise, I seem to like how everyone is right now. Maybe a few minor changes could be made (Kallari's throwing knifes could use an actual targeting reticle so maybe I could hit something with it for once ever). Looking forward to seeing where this game goes.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Dezzy

CanisWolfred wrote:

^Wow, are we seriously doing this?

Ralizah wrote:

The End.

Is this supposed to be a taboo controversial subject? You make it sound like I'd just started a debate about abortion or something.

Edited on by Dezzy

CanisWolfred

@Dezzy It's just an extremely contrived, semantic argument is all. "Greed" in relation to companies is different from the standard definition simply due to context. Everyone knows that all companies need to make money, so like Ralizah said, referring to a company as greedy implies that said company is worse about it than others. If you can come up with a better term in this case, feel free to enlighten me.

Overall, I just find this as eyerolling an argument as "every modern game is technically a roleplaying game since you are playing the role of a specific character in a story," simply because the argument completely falls apart once you take in the context. Though, I guess in that case, "RPG" as a video game genre has a different definition than the literal term, so that may just be pure bullcrap...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Dezzy

@CanisWolfred

Well that was exactly the thing I was originally disputing. So it's obviously not semantic. I don't agree EA want to make money more than other companies. I think they just go about it in a different way. Probably because they're so big that the management is so detached from the actual art and just see it as running a generic corporation.

Also probably something to do with the fact that a large portion of their audience come from the semi-casual dudebro audience, who don't pay too much attention to all this stuff.

Edited on by Dezzy

CanisWolfred

@Dezzy Well, okay, but their argument was about respect. EA doesn't come off as respecting its customers when you look at its practices and some of the products they they produce.

But I'm already bored of this conversation...

Paragon

I jinxed myself. Between base defense changes and minor movement speed changes across the board, with a lot of slow and root increases, I'm not getting killed a lot more easily. I'm glad I ditched my Zinx deck, because split pushing is now a very dangerous game...

But that's not all: They changed the dynamic of the lanes. I forgot they had previewed this change a few months ago. Before you'd always have one group in right lane - one attack-damage-focused "carry", who is guarded by a support, while a durable/maneuverable character tries to contest them and guard their tower. This 2v1 stuff was honestly unique to Paragon, and now they're making it more like what I've seen in League of Legends or Smite, where it's two in one lane, and one in the other lane, whick are either on the left or right side based on what part of the map you're on. Granted, Mid lane is still a solo featuring characters with powerful abilities, so not everything is different, but it certainly makes it more complicated. They actually have little arrows to point you on your way, too, so I guess I would be less confused if I didn't turn them off as quickly as I could...oops...I just had one especially embarassing match, where Murdock murdered Twinblast in the lane I should've been in, while three people were in Left Lane, going completely nuts for surprisingly little gain...

Granted, I don't think this change will stick. The map was not designed for this, and there's definite advantages for starting on certain sides of the map, yet you won't know which side you'll be on before you start. So far, fighting literal uphill battles against two ranged characters is utter suicide thanks to the recent defense reductions, and I'm seeing a lot of high death counts even from experienced players. Most just say "Screw it" and go back to the other lane, usually leaving their supports to clean up the mess...or the Jungler...

Actually, the solo laner part is where it really falls appart. Now it's 1v1, but one side has both a strategic vantage point, safe access to a health buff, no support, and their junglers can respond easier with ambush points that are significanly more accessible to once side than the other, so even trying to risk going for it if you're from the other team could put you in a tricky spot. And trying to flip it back to the old way doesn't work anymore now even the tankiest characters are easy targets. Now having multiple carries and no tank is the preferable option, which is baffling to me...

Nothing about this change works, is what I'm saying. Nothing that I've seen, at any rate. Hopefully they can pick up the pieces sooner than later, though I don't think the game is ruined by it...but it's certainly damaged...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

NEStalgia

Ok, so I've lost all my sanity and grabbed a slightly used PS4 Pro (Some of you guys may recall I was tempted by pro mostly for the faster load times and more stable frame rates @1080p back around E3.) I couldn't stand my 2 hour battery controller anymore so used price - price of controller made it worthwhile....and If I'm going to spend a few hundred hours playing epics, why not... (P5 notwithstanding.)

Also there's a slick 3rd party accessory monitor you can clamp to a pro or slim (but not OG Eraser) that is as close to Switch as a PS4 will get (I seriously need to work through that backlog...) (Sure I have Vita but Remote Play framerate is like 15fps and the inputs suck, I feel like I'm playing mobile games.)

Considered X1X for a moment....but even of my PS4 backlog, like 70% of everything is Sony exclusive, so I'm not a big 3rd party gamer, and PS4 will handle all of what I'd want to play (and I'm not an online gamer short of Splatoon, so XBox is just meh...)

So then I went crazier.........they have all these deals on PSVR and decided, even though I see VR as nothing more than a silly gimmick, the Skyrim bundle is a fun companion for Skyrim Switch.....wander around and see the locations first person.....kinda cool and they're selling at the right price. It's merely a toy and nothing more, not really a "gaming system"....but it piqued my interest (disgusting cable overload and all.)

So I'm curious, of those of you who have tried PSVR, are there any "must experience" games you'd recommend? Keeping in mind I REALLY don't trust VR for extended use....my eyes are bad enough...no need to make them worse But for short bursts I'm sure it's safe. Toy, not platform. (Except when Moss drops....I may not be able to resist the kawaii.....)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic