Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 fan thread.

Posts 7,041 to 7,060 of 7,860

Octane

@JaxonH Don't get me wrong, but isn't the $15 less for online argument a bit redundant when you just admitted to buying five copies of Monster Hunter World?

Octane

gcunit

@Octane Oh dear. My PS4Pro is the best representation of my over-indulgence recently.

To be fair, it was always intended for the long game. Past two generations I've waited until the end of the generation and then bought a used console worth a few games for about £100. And that's been fine, but this time I figured, for the sake of £100, why wait when I could have a brand new model of my own (getting someone's used controllers sucks) that might get some use with cutting edge console games in the meantime.

But, in answer to your question, I've barely touched it - literally no more than about 2.5 hours. My XB1S has seen more use over the same period.

Edited on by gcunit

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Haru17

You guys make me feel poor.

Edited on by Haru17

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

JaxonH

@Octane
Well... 😂 It's a small reason, but it's a reason. I exhibit zero self-control when it comes to Monster Hunter itself (and Fire Emblem) and I do spend a fair bit quite liberally across the board on gaming ( but games are really the only hobby I have where I spend money, so I may spend more than a lot of people but I'm also spending nothing on other things people typically spend on like tech, movies, drinking, etc). But I still- if given the choice between two things where one is more expensive- choose the less expensive option. And since this is a game I will play for years to come off and on, we could be looking at 3-4 years of online subs. Which could be $60 less total on Xbox. It's a small amount in the big scheme of things but why pay $60 more when I can pay $60 less. Plus there's all those other reasons and this is more of a side benefit.

Don't normally pay for online subs at all on any console. But I will be making an exception for Switch because I love Splatoon 2 and Monster Hunter XX, and I'll make an exception for Xbox One because of Monster Hunter World (and may try PUBG). And if someone I know ever wants to play on PS4, I can just scoop a one-month or 3 month card as a one time thing.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

For those of you with Pros is the transfer process easy? I will be upgrading my av setup next year so I 'll likely get the pro to have the best version of the system but I'm still having nightmares about transferring data from my 360 to my 360S.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

YummyHappyPills

@Ryu_Niiyama It's a mechanical, pretty slow hard drive, and looking how big games are...itll be slow.

I don't know if you can just pop one hard drive out and into the other because of OS features like Boost Mode, and it sounds like something that wouldn't be accounted for, so it would leave you with a PS4 enabled OS on a PS4 Pro.

At best, you'll just be able to change out the hard drives (This will require a little disassembly), at worst, put some coffee on.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama @BLP_Software
When I transferred the first time from PS4 to a Pro, they had not yet patched in external HDD. And I had a 2tb internal I had put in, and was transferring to a 1TB. Needless to say it was a huge hassle.

But now the extern all drives are a thing you can use the transfer tool in settings and it should be a breeze.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Peek-a-boo

@Ryu_Niiyama I used an Ethernet cable from my OG PlayStation 4 to my (new) PS4 Pro, and despite having a shy over 400GB to transfer, it didn’t take quite as long as I expected. Maybe an hour or so at the most?

I did it this way instead of swapping the respective internal hard drives, as that sounds like a palaver to me.

@Octane Hey, did you know that one of the very best games of this generation is now available to play on an iPad and iPhone? As of today, it is available to buy and download on the App Store for £9.99/€9.99/$9.99.

The Witness: - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-witness/id1230231705

I shall wait until Christmas time, as Apple often has a generous sale on their App Store nearer to the time.

As for Tokyo Game Show, I am glad I didn’t make my pupils watch the Sony conference!

I don’t know what was more crazy; me expecting Devil May Cry 5 or all that silly nonexistent gossip about a new handheld to ‘fight back against the Switch’.

At least we saw more of Shadow of the Colossus, even though the colour palette is a little bit too dark and muted for my liking, as well as Detroit: Become Human getting a ‘Spring 2018’ placeholder date.

I’m going to temper my expectations for Paris Games Week, seeing as the PlayStation Experience will only be six weeks down the line, the latter of which seems to be their best and surprise-worthy event nowadays.

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

I'd like to see them try to charge $40 for that phone game on actual phones.

Edited on by Haru17

Octane

@JaxonH Fair enough! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to fit a Switch, Pro Controller and Mario Odyssey into my budget, but I think I'll be fine. Early 2018 is going to be more expensive by the looks of it.

@Peek-a-boo That's neat, but I don't use Apple, so I'm good with my PS4 version.

I re-watched the trailer of Detroit, after the event, because I noticed the scribbles after 2018 and I could read [something something month], but apparently it's first half of 2018. So it could be anywhere from January till June. But with Monster Hunter World, Spider-Man, God of War, the Shadow of the Colossus remake, I'm not quite sure if I'm getting Detroit day one.

IIRC, a SOTC-inspired game called Praey (yes name changed) for the Gods is also coming in early 2018.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@JaxonH I have to say, all of these video games related purchases you make on what seems like a near daily basis has me pondering what it is that you do for a living that allows you to splash your cash in a surprisingly carefree way? I can only chuckle to myself when I read your posts in regards to the amount of things you have openly bought for your Switch, let alone all of the rest!

@Haru17 From your point of view, what do you consider an actual phone to be?

@Octane Actually, I was getting confused with another game.

It seems that you are right; Detroit is indeed slated for the first half of 2018, which is a vague enough date to make you wonder when it shall be available. And since you put it like that, along with those games you mentioned, I too cannot help but wonder if it is something I would consider buying on day one.

Here’s hoping that Detroit is able to position itself into that timeframe whereby both Uncharted 4 and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy were released without being too crowded, in late May, early June.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo June is possible, maybe a delay to the second half of 2018. It's a bit of a niche title. I expect SOTC in January or February, followed by Spider-Man in March, and GOW in May. It's going to be crowded either way. There's plenty of third party games too; Vampyr comes to mind, Red Dead Redemption 2 is big one, and Ni No Kuni 2 too. Kingdom Come: Deliverance may be a surprise, but I don't expect it'll be a big hit.

Far Cry 5 is February 2018 as well. And I should stop thinking about upcoming games, because the list keeps getting longer and longer.

Octane

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo The app stores where anything that charges more than $5 up front dies.

JaxonH

@Peek-a-boo
It's not nearly as much as it sounds. Or... Maybe it is, Idk.

I'd say, couple thousand each year spent on whatever I want. Which is gaming. If I can put 10% up for retirement, I should be able to spend 10% as disposable income for a hobby. Say $5,000 per year to spend on whatever I want. Everything else is bills or builds up in savings. And it may be less, depending on what hardware releases.

Just so you know, I probably make less than some here. I'm just a 50k/yr guy. I just like the illusion of being able to buy anything. I like being able to buy whatever I want in this one specific area. And I spend no extra money on anything else, really.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

rjejr

@JaxonH Well I can't argue with any of that reasoning. And you know I certainly would if I could. Funny, last night I was on Xbox watching tv and saw you logged in playing Marvel vs Capcom, then I played AC: Freedom Cry - well I tried, really steep learning curve for somebody who has never played an AC game before - and you were on the PS4 too. I tried to figure out what you were doing but if there is a way I'm not sure what it is.

So, do you not have PS+ then? I know Live is always on sale, and a better service then PS+, but you seem like somebody who would always be a PS+ sub anyway so the price difference really wouldn't matter. Also, don't you think the MH:World online community would be better on PS4? Has Xbox ever had a MH game before? Will anybody who owns an Xbox even buy it? That's not me arguing, just simply asking questions.

Placeholder sig until I come up with something clever to say.

JaxonH

@rjejr
Definitely larger on PS4, but the community starts and stops with people I know and people on this site. Beyond that I don't care much who's playing. So it'll be the same either way. Except me and everyone I know is going to use Xbox. I'll have the game on PS4 too just In case someone wants to play

And no, I quit subbing to PS+ years ago. Screw it, I don't need it ya know?

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

rjejr

@JaxonH Well if ya don't need it then you don't need it. I don't play online at all, but I got it for my kid mostly for DBXV and whatever else he plays online. I'm not even sure I know what he needs it for, he doesn't play anything I follow, mostly Rocket League and Overwatch. I'm guessing you need it for Overwatch. I think I make most of my money back on PS+ sales discounts though, saving a few $ here and there since I was about 3 years behind launch. And we still have 2 PS3 going, so I'm not losing out.

And if everyone you know is going to be playing on XBox, well there ya go. What website do you use for Xbox info? I've been using XboxAcheivments but I don't really post or read comments, just do it for the news. Won't matter in a month anyway.

Placeholder sig until I come up with something clever to say.

JaxonH

@rjejr
Since PureXbox was shut down... just Reddit. There isn't a good Xbox community I could find

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

I was gonna say that you guys make me feel sensible...I've basically played my PS4 nonstop for 8 months now, and trying really hard to be frugal about how much I spend on gaming, too. I know you guys have a lot of money to burn, but I also can't help but wonder how much time you guys actually spend with all of that...oh well, I guess I shouldn't judge. I've done worse with no income in the past.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

gcunit

CanisWolfred wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I was gonna say that you guys make me feel sensible...I've basically played my PS4 nonstop for 8 months now, and trying really hard to be frugal about how much I spend on gaming, too. I know you guys have a lot of money to burn, but I also can't help but wonder how much time you guys actually spend with all of that...oh well, I guess I shouldn't judge. I've done worse with no income in the past.

FWIW, I'm drawing some sort of line. Mario Odyssey is going to be my last 'big' purchase this year, and I've managed to get my price on that down to £31 after vouchers and codes.

That will take me to 5 physical games for Switch and one Neo-Geo download. Games I've wanted to buy but am resisting include Binding of Isaac, Splatoon 2, FIFA, Mario & Rabbids..., and I've only been cherry picking PS4/XB1 titles, paying no more than £15 each time, usually under £10.

Until 2 years ago, I was a max. £5 a game buyer, and only a one console guy. This last 2 years I've gone crazy and you're right about the time factor. I've allowed myself to do it because I've been building a collection a I missed out on over the past 20 years, and it's intended to last me many years.

But now that I've done that, the economics of me buying new games at release prices, when I've so many classics in my hands already, is ridiculous, so enough's enough for now.

Time to get playing

Edited on by gcunit

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic