Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,041 to 7,060 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

@gcunit I don’t believe I have come across anything quite like the bizarre way that Nintendo implements their ‘number of goes’ limit for demos on anything for the PlayStation 4 so, you can play it as many times as you like!

@Gamer83 I think Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are doing different things this time round. The latter series hasn’t changed all that much since the fourth game, and it is also (sadly) shifting away from the sim-like handling of the first two or three games, which is why I originally liked the series in the first place.

Gran Turismo Sport, however, is focussing on the professional side of things (eSports, FIA, GT Academy, etc.) along with a fantastic online suite that is breath of fresh air compared to its nearest competition.

And this is the first Gran Turismo game on the PlayStation 4, whereas there are already three Forza Motorsport games on the Xbox One as well as two Forza Horizon games. The release of Gran Turismo Sport feels like an event of sorts compared to the feeling of ‘yet another one...’ with Forza Motorsport 7.

In any case, racing fans have been spoilt for choice lately, what with the likes of Project CARS 2, Forza Motorsport 7, Gran Turismo Sport and Need for Speed Payback all being released within a two month window. It has been quite some time since a selection of driving games has come along all at once!

Here’s a brief snippet of (real time) gameplay footage:

Untitled

I also love this Gran Turismo Sport advert too:

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Has anyone else just coincidentally managed to completely avoid games with microtransactions?

I always notice youtubers going on about it, usually Totalbiscuit or Jim Sterling, and have just managed to completely avoid them in my gaming choices.

The only game I even remember microtransactions being explicitly mentioned in was Bravely Default and those ended up being incredibly easy to ignore.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NaviAndMii

I'm curious to know more about what their plans are in this area - GT Sport will launch with 140 cars -
which will apparenly be expanded to '400-500' over time - whether those extra 260-360 cars will be free of charge or not is another matter...

I've noticed that some of the 'Scapes' in the β appear to be locked behind a paywall - which raises a few 'red flags' for me - I hope they don't take things too far...

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

gcunit

@Peek-a-boo Yikes! 43gb for a demo? That's a new PB for me, surely.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@gcunit It's probably the entire game, but most of it is ''locked'' until you buy it.

Octane

Haru17

If you've played Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Breath of the Wild, or any Blizzard game you haven't avoided microtransactions. They all lock little things away differently, some of which affect gameplay.

The self-righteousness centering on Shadow of War is just a double standard for most.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

NaviAndMii

Right, GT Sport has gone straight to the top of my gaming wishlist! ..I've played quite a lot of the β in the past couple of days - and I'm so, so impressed!

The first thing I wanted to try out was the Livery Editor - and it seems to work really well...I played around with it quite a bit, making myself a Zelda-themed livery, a more traditional racing livery & a Nintendo Switch livery - and found that there was a way to do pretty much anything I wanted to! I never seemed to reach any kind of limit - even with multiple layers stacked...and it looks like you'll be able to upload your own custom decals to the Editor in the full game too, so the possibilities are seemingly endless! ..I had a bit of an issue trying to put decals on the roof of my car - and the wing decals weren't working correctly either - but it is a β, so those issues may have been ironed out in time for the full release. Overall though, I was thoroughly impressed!

Next, I decided to play around with the Scapes feature - as mentioned above, the fact that certain scapes appear to be locked behind a paywall left a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth - but there were plenty to choose from & my word do they look good! ..'photo-realism' has been taken to a whole new level! ..it's not just limited to plonking a car in some scenery and saving either - there's a whole range of different tools and presets to go along with it that allow you to photoshop your pic pretty much any which way you like - and the end results are pretty stunning most of the time It's really something!

Then, finally, I decided to really get in to the meat-and-bones of the game: the controversial Sport Mode - and, after several hours racing, I can't say that I'm really missing a traditional campaign at all...it was a pretty bold move from the developers to go down this route - and it might just have paid off - I had an absolute blast!

The way Sport Mode works is that there are 'Daily Events', which consists of 3 set tracks (with set classes/rules etc) on a 20min rotation...say the next one (track 1) is in 8mins time - you have 8mins to do as many Time Trials around that track as you can to set your best Qualifying time! At the end of the 8mins, matchmaking begins - taking in to account your qualy time, your Skill rating and your Sportsmanship rating and matching you accordingly - then you get dropped in a lobby with up 24 (?) similar racers from around the globe! You'll get a couple of mins to do warm-up laps (or just sit in the lobby and chat if you prefer) - then you're racing! Your grid position is determined by your qualy time - and the higher you finish, the better the reward...the game does its best to allow wheel-to-wheel racing - but if one car is wildly out of control, they'll temporarily become a ghost so as not to cause massive carnage! If you do foul, you'll have a penalty time slapped on you - you can choose to either slow down and wait for the penalty to elapse (good sportsmanship) or keep racing to the finish line and have the penalty added to your final time (bad sportsmanship) ..at the end of the race, final scores are totted up (minus penalties) - plus any changes to your Skill and Sportsmanship ratings - and a winner is announced! ..then you go again with track 2 (and so on!) It's a system that seems to work really well...my Skill rank was D most of the time - and Sportsmanship rating B - and I'd almost always get matched with other D-B racers (if not, close) with similar qualy times - which always ensured that the racing was on my level...and it was so, so great! In many ways, it reminded me of Splatoon - where maps (races) are on rotation, allowing you to really become familiar with them - and matchmaking is tuned to your ability...and the Campaign (or absence of a 'proper' one in GTS's case) is pretty much inconsequential - it's all about the online! ..and that's no bad thing - it's an absolute blast!

There won't be a racing sim-shaped hole in my game library for too much longer, that's for sure - the β has well and truly convinced me that I neeeeeeed this game in my life!

EDIT: Oh, I may as well show off some screenshots as well!

Livery preview screen:
Untitled

Scapes mode + filter:
Untitled

Livery preview (Switch):
Untitled

...and they were created by just messing about with it for a few minutes! Unfortunately I don't have a pic of my classic livery - but there are all manner of brand logos etc you can add too - not to mention the possibility of adding custom decals in the full game! ..great place to scratch your creative itch - no question!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

If you've played Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Breath of the Wild, or any Blizzard game you haven't avoided microtransactions. They all lock little things away differently, some of which affect gameplay.

The self-righteousness centering on Shadow of War is just a double standard for most.

What are the Uncharted and BotW ones that I seem to have missed?

Ralizah

Dezzy wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

What are the Uncharted and BotW ones that I seem to have missed?

Unsure about Uncharted, but BotW only has a season pass and amiibo-locked content, which is what he might be referring to. We can debate about the consumer friendliness of these, but they seem a far cry from friggin loot boxes!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah BotW is likely considering amiibo as microtransactions.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Amiibo are definitely not MICRO transactions. Neither is DLC.

TuVictus

Depends what you consider "micro" I suppose.

TuVictus

Dezzy

10 to the power of -6

Haru17

Mankind Divided and Shadow of War: everything can be attained by just playing the game without a second purchase.

Breath of the Wild: About 1/3 of the armor sets are locked behind $12 amiibo. You will never have access to them if you don't buy.

So who cares if amiibo are technically microtransactions or not, they still force you to pay up.

Octane

Haru has a point, at least you can unlock everything in Shadow of Way through endless grinding. Can't say that about BOTW. Neither option is customer friendly though, one basically forces you to buy lootboxes, the other one locks content behind physical DLC.

Octane

Haru17

Well reviews I've seen said Shadow of War wasn't that grindy, or that that grinding was the point of the game.

Either way, no, it's not ideal. My biggest contention is that people are applying the criticism unevenly to popular AAA games like Zelda, Uncharted, and Halo compared to third parties like Ubisoft.

Edited on by Haru17

Octane

@Haru17 The reviews that did talk about the grind specifically mentioned the last chapter. I wonder if all those other outlets even finished the game...

Octane

Haruki_NLI

I think with BOTW the catch is how many times does the game put the amiibo in your face? I dont have a single amiibo to be used in that game for armour and you know what else?

I forgot thats what the amiibo did. Genuinely. At no point does the game put a marketplace tab in your menu. At no point dies the game say "You could pay £1.99 for this or grind".

Hell, MOST Nintendo games COULD do lootboxes and microtransactions alarmingly simply.

Mario Kart? Buy coins, randomise boxes with parts in.

Splatoon? Buy coins. Make gear or ability chunks come from loot boxes.

Zelda? Buy rupees, make loot boxes out of encampment chests.

Smash? Buy coins. Make trophies or CDs randomised via payment.

Pikmin? Buy more Pikmin instead of needing to farm them up.

ARMS? Buy coins and make the arms getter a market place.

And you know Pokemon could and would have a field day with it.

amiibo are different from IAPs as at no point does the game, in-app, offer a purchase for or from amiibo. As is? Its so easily forgotten about. The game already has more than enough armour as it stands.

Youre all gonna bite my head off for this but whatever. People arent missing some games with thr brush, people just know the difference between amiibo, DLC and microtransactions are.

And microtransactions have a place; if your game is free to start. You know publishers would make far more money making these AAA games free and then raking it in via IAPs from a bigger userbase. But they dont.

The problem isnt what games have them, its when games have them, its that theyhave options that are literally equivalent to gambling in that you are encouraged to spend for random gain.

Amiibo are an entirely different issue. If they had no purpose people wouldnt care. If they did have purpose people complain. There cant be a balance with that product. But thankfully they are not as in your face as IAPs or gambling. I think they got the hint after Metroid given how Odyssey suddenly has everything in the game anyway and its just a shortcut using amiibo.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haru17

BLP_Software wrote:

I think with BOTW the catch is how many times does the game put the amiibo in your face? I dont have a single amiibo to be used in that game for armour and you know what else?

I forgot thats what the amiibo did. Genuinely. At no point does the game put a marketplace tab in your menu.

Yeah, amiibo are only one of the few runes on your quick select menu. Are you serious? You're making the argument that microtransactions don't matter in Nintendo games over totally insubstantial differences. The internet's irrationally rationalized hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic