Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 7,061 to 7,080 of 16,084

Haruki_NLI

@Haru17 You can turn the rune off.

And at no point is it there looking you in the face with a temptation to purchase. It hasnt got a price tag in game right there. Its also not a one and done in game purchase youll be tempted to make over and over and over like a "whale".

You know if you want to be pedantic, buying games at all are a microtransaction of life. Youve got rent and bills and food to pay for. $60 for a game. And another one. And another one. A repeating temptation. But its not necessary. You can be without them right? But you want them. Just like "microtransactions". You can be without em. But why would you when its tempting.

Told you you would bite my head off. Everyone does. Its why I asked for an account delete function. Whatever. Time to take my meds and fall back asleep XD

Im enjoying this talk about the PS4 by the way. Very on topic.

How about the Oculus Go and price tag? Wi it affect PSVR?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haru17

Amiibo being less convenient doesn't make their associated on-disc DLC any more accessible to most players. If you (the general 'you') have a problem with gambling, I guess, don't play loot box games. But for everyone else exclusive costume and armor DLC keep more away from players than loot boxes of all the content that's already accessible in game through other means.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haruki_NLI

How about the Oculus Go and price tag? Wi it affect PSVR?

Dezzy

Ok well the Zelda method doesn't bother me at all. I didn't even get all of the armour within the base game. I didn't even figure out you could complete the Zora armour set. Thought it was just that 1 they give you pfff.

Anyway, has anyone been following Divinity Original Sin 2? This thing's getting some of the highest reviews I've ever seen for an RPG. 94% on metacritic atm.
I didn't play the first one but it did come to PS4 after PC. Think I'll wait for the PS4 version of this one too!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy I see a guy on a discord im in playing it dsmn near constantly. Must be good since he doesnt play games that last only 20 or so hours.

Dezzy

@BLP_Software

A lot of reviews saying it's the best of the CRPG style genre.

I've played almost nothing of this genre. I have Planescape Torment on GOG but have never got round to trying it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

gcunit

PS4 is officially bobbins in my book. At least in terms of digital downloads.

Last week I downloaded Stardew Valley on my Switch, over wifi, in 6 minutes. File Size 913mb. That's 152mb per minute, nearly 9gb in an hour.

This week, over the same wifi, from the same corner of the same room, my PS4 is taking hooouuuuurrrrsss to download the stupidly oversized GT Sport 'demo'. I started DLing yesterday morning, about 21 hours ago, and it's only managed 28gb in that time. That's 1.3gb an hour.

Pathetic.

PS4 sux.

Switch rules.

I don't know why we even keep this thread open.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haru17

Both are good systems, but I do get the impression that every game being 50 gb is unnecessary. I mean all of Skyrim fits on 20 gbs, and that game has more assets than anything else I've ever played. It would be nice if companies would release further compressed versions for players out in the plains states or what have you.

It would be interesting to see Nintendo make a photorealistic game again and compare that file size to PS/XB/PC's.

Peek-a-boo

@NaviAndMii Nice to see someone else who shares a similar level of enthusiasm with GT Sport as I do!

It really is deceptively deep and layered with all the available modes, and the Sport mode is surprisingly big and has tons of replay value that are comparable to the brilliant Sunday Cup races in Gran Turismo 2, 3 and 4.

I’m not one for online racing, as I often feel overwhelmed about playing sim-like racing games online (compared to Mario Kart 8, for example) however, GT Sport is really fun to play online, and the Sportsmanship system seems to work in favour of those who are actually trying to race against others.

And no micro transactions, no season pass, no loot boxes that its nearest competitor has drowned itself upon, which is a another reason to feel good about this game... although it shouldn’t have to be something to celebrate the developers for anyway.

I also love your use of the word ‘plonk’ too.

p.s. This photo looks like it was taken at night time near my village!

Untitled

@gcunit You are actually downloading the full game, believe it or not!

If you were to buy the game digitally, a small file will begin to download in order for you to play the game from midnight on the day GT Sport is available. This is why the demo is a shy over 40GB.

I believe Stardew Valley only took about two minutes before it was ready (to play) on my PlayStation 4, which is four minutes quicker than it took for the very same game to finish downloading on your Switch!

Switch sucks.

PS4 rules.

: p

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

Well if you wanna be real, both Switch and PS4 games suck compared to the Gamecube, Wii, or PS3/360.

Edited on by Haru17

NaviAndMii

@Peek-a-boo Yeah, I wasn't sure about it initially - the idea of a GT game without a proper career/campaign mode wasn't really sitting right with me - but the β/demo did enough to convince me to pre-order!

Like yourself, I've often find online modes in racing sims to be quite daunting (I'm no Lewis Hamilton, let's put it that way! ) but I was left feeling mightily impressed with how GT Sport handles online racing...it felt like it was doing a really good job of matching me with other racers on my level (below*) and I particularly liked the idea of having 3 Daily Events on rotation - having that focus on just a trio of tracks each day really allowed me to become quite familiar with each course (braking points etc) quite quickly - so I was better able to anticipate danger/corners etc and drive clean & controlled races

That, combined with the collection and customisation elements I've always enjoyed from previous GT games and, as you mentioned previously, the excellent progression system - makes for a pretty winning combo in my book! ..and a great excuse to show my PS4 a bit of love again after playing second fiddle to my Switch for a number of months

Love that Scape by the way! ..can't wait to go a bit more 'in depth' with that feature - it's so, so good!

*I just got promoted to Sportsmanship Rating (SR) 'B' in this screenshot - but at the start of the race we were all DR: D, SR: C, with pretty similar qualifying times - which made for a pretty close, even contest

Untitled

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

gcunit

@Peek-a-boo How long does it take you to take your PS4 and TV with you to the toilet so that you can play Stardew Valley on the bog?

Finally played some GT Sport β. Only had a few arcade races, which seemed overly easy (on expert mode, professional difficulty, which at least in this demo is as hard as it gets), with my car just out-pulling everyone else on the track easily.

Graphically? Hmm. Doesn't seem anything special, though I do wonder if that's just the limits of my display tech as I'm only on a 1080P monitor with no HDR mode.

It's a game I could like, but the racing is a bit 'dry' to me, and collisions are as boring as they ever were.

I'm trying to get into using the 'in-car' view, but I think Forza Horizon 2's (my only recent comparison) looks better.

Immediate impression is that FH2 is just more fun, but I'll give this demo some more time.

Peek-a-boo

@NaviAndMii All the doom and gloom talk about the lack of a proper single player campaign a while back has certainly evaporated in recent days. I still blame the lack of communication from developer to their audience though, seeing as there was far too much focus on the online side of things for quite some time.

And the demo has actually been played (not just merely downloaded) by over a million unique players! The Gran Turismo series is an absolute giant in Europe, and I couldn’t help but see lots and lots of German, French and British flags/players during the online races. I’m eagerly looking forward to the day of release.

Fancy adding each other to our friends list for a race or two at the time?

@gcunit I sincerely hope you realised I was being sarcastic about the download times!

And eewww at playing games on the bog...

Granted, Forza Horizon 2 is 30fps with a hefty dosage of blur to keep the frame rate as stable as possible, whereas Gran Turismo Sport is 60fps, and both of which are two totally different driving/racing games as well.

Bit of an uneven (and somewhat unfair) comparison to make in all honesty.

The Gran Turismo series has always been a little bit ‘dry’ in the single player however, once you hop onto the online side of things, the word ‘fun’ becomes more apparent. It’s up to you to make the most of things!

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

@gcunit That's interesting - I actually find the Forza series to be a pretty stale affair myself (although, admittedly, I haven't played any of the current gen versions) ..but one of the reasons that I 'crossed back across the divide' and switched back to PlayStation (PS4) when I upgraded my X360 was that I wanted to get back in to GT (although it's been a frustratingly long time coming!)

I actually found that the most fun I got from racing on my 360 was in GTAV, which is (obviously) just one small part of what that game offers - and just felt that nothing ever came close to the enjoyment I got out of GT3:AS or GT4 on the PS2 I had previously...there's just something about the music and overall 'vibe' of GT games that I much prefer for some reason - and GT Sport seemed to pretty much immediately recapture that same spirit for me...different strokes for different folks, I guess!

I must admit, I probably won't play too much of the Arcade mode when I finally get my hands on the full game - it did feel a little 'dry'...but I found Sport mode to be really satisfying - that loop of qualification > race > progression > reward > repeat, really kept me hooked - and I was left pleasantly surprised that it was the online mode (given how controversial its inclusion/focus was) that I felt I'd keep coming back to (and eventually convinced me to pre-order)

..but that's just me - most of my friends are more Forza than GT - it's like the old FIFA vs PES debate I guess, you're either one or the other, but that's not to dismiss the obvious merits of the rival franchise - it's just a matter of preference

@Peek-a-boo Absolutely! I've just made myself a new PSN account - CrashAndMii - and I'll hopefully (depending on the mail) be playing from Day 1 I must warn you, I'm not the best! ..but I do try to race as clean as possible - any contact is purely accidental and down to a lack of skill on my part! ..but, yeah, feel free to add me - and I'll try my hardest to keep up!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Grumblevolcano

@NaviAndMii Well with Forza the key thing to note is Motorsport and Horizon are very different. The Motorsport sub series is more like GT meanwhile Horizon is more about exploration (think Diddy Kong Racing).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

@Grumblevolcano Oh, I know - Horizon (I) came bundled with my 360, but I never really got fully in to it for some reason (so traded it in for a pre-owned copy of Red Dead Redemption) - then I picked up Forza 4 because a lot of my mates were playing it and found that to be painfully dull ..either I'm missing something - or I picked up the worst two instalments in either sub-series - or I just brainwashed myself at a very young age in to being a Gran Turismo lifer! (I only switched to Xbox because pretty much all of my friends had one - but I switched back because I found that I wasn't really playing any of the exclusives...)

..but, yeah, I've only properly played 2 Forza games - and only 1 of each (of the two, Horizon was probably my favourite) - so it's perhaps a little unfair of me to make any sweeping judgements based on fairly minimal experience - all I can say is that they often left me feeling pretty flat (in comparison to GT's 3 & 4 on PS2 - my benchmarks!) ..and the closest I got to that 'GT feeling' was when I joined a racing crew in GTAV; I could do all manner of different races, earn cash, customise my cars - even create my own tracks too which was pretty cool - and I liked stuff like the in-car radio as well...but I could get that same game on PS (plus GT), so I switched back - a lot of my friends insist that Forza is far superior though (and PES!) so I totally respect that it's just a personal thing

Edited on by NaviAndMii

gcunit

My only previous Forza experience was a few minutes on a display model, probably a 360, years ago, and that struck me as dull. Horizon is more arcadey and more fun, from the little I've seen.

I've put some time into the GT Sport β online races this avo.

The positives:

• Free online racing. No PSPlus required. Woohoo!
  • The system generally works as you'd expect it to.
  • Initially very addicting ("one more race...")
  • Large field of entrants
  • I enjoyed playing with the motion controlled steering. Works well and you don't miss having a wheel.

The negatives:

• While some of you might cry 'unfair comparison', the waiting between races, matchmaking, and general loading times, are a bit painful compared to Mario Kart 8's fairly snappy experience, for example.
  • The 'contact' system is inconsistent and frustrating. I never know for sure whether I'm going to hit someone or ghost through them, and likewise I might think I've got track position through a turn and the opponent will ghost through me.
  • The penalty system: you can make the slightest of wing-on-wing contacts and you'll get a penalty. You can get knocked off the track and get a penalty.
  • I started getting frustrated generally, waiting for a race only for it to get ruined in the opening corner by some toerag bagging me from behind. In one race I was knocked into a spin before I'd even begun the first lap.

That's the trouble with the drier racing of GT. If you spin out, the rest of the race is semi pointless and no fun, and you know it's another 10 minutes before you get a chance at a decent race.

Peek-a-boo

@gcunit I can’t not disagree with you about the penalty system, given that gentle nudges gives me a similar - if not the very same - penalty to another player clearly attempting to knock you off the track.

At least the ‘Sportsmanship Rating’ means you won’t meet those players who persistently and consistently cause rash penalties over a short period of time. And completing races online, whether you spin out on the first or last lap, still gains you a tidy amount of EXP to take some of the frustration out of things.

Gran Turismo Sport is doing an awful lot more things under the hood compared to the simplistic nature of Mario Kart 8! In an ideal world, the races would begin pretty much instantly however, it’s a technical game with lots of things going on behind the scenes. Hopefully future patches may speed things up a little bit.

Oh, and you reminded me that there’s a motion controlled steering option! I didn’t even know there was such a thing until you mentioned it.

Here’s hoping you feel like hopping in to join me and @NaviAndMii with GT Sport in a weeks time!

In other news, the newest issue of Edge dropped through my letterbox this morning and I am sure some folks - myself included! - will be pleased to hear about a certain game receiving a certain (very rare) score.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10
Destiny 2 - 8
Absolver - 8
Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite - 6
SteamWorld Dig 2 - 8
Project CARS 2 - 8
Divinity: Original Sin II - 9 (I believe this is the game that Dezzy spoke about?)
Star Fox 2 - 5 (on the SNES Mini Classic, no less!)
Metroid: Samus Returns - 6

For those who may well be curious, here’s the other 19 games to be awarded that rare as horse manure 10 since Edge first begun printing their pages exactly 24 years ago back in 1993:

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

They are definitely fond of the Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda series, that’s for sure!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo That list is funny. Outside of a few notable exceptions (I absolutely adore BotW and SMG1 and enjoyed RE4), they're all games I was either lukewarm on or actively disliked.

Somebody should tell that Forbes contributor who insinuated that Nintendo was paying Edge for good reviews that they messed up on Samus Returns. If I'm paying for good reviews, I want at least an 8.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic