Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 3,981 to 4,000 of 16,083

DefHalan

Haru17 wrote:

Octane wrote:

I believe they did. I recall seeing some transitions between the PS4 version and the Pro version.

That's still not side-by-side

Well they couldn't do that because there isn't enough of a difference, and they don't want to alienate their 40 Million (has that not gone up since last year?) PS4 owners

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@Tsurii I assume that's the 500GB model? Still a good deal regardless. Got mine during an Amazon flash sale; 1TB for only €299. And they're only getting cheaper.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane It looks like the same jump from 480p to 1080p, percentage wise. Also, it is locked behind if the developers choose to code in the enhancements for the Pro. I really don't see these "improvements" changing games that much and just adding more work on the developer side.

Octane

@DefHalan It's not more work, when games are developed, they're usually developed for higher settings and then lowered down when optimised for the console. PC games already include adjustable settings, developing for PS4 now requires two settings. That's no issue. It's not difficult to do and it won't require any extra work, so I don't see a reason why any dev would simply ignore the PS4 Pro.

Yeah, the jump from 480p to HD is comparable to the jump from HD to 4K.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

While you guys talk about resolutions, I shall talk about the games!

List of PlayStation 4 Pro Compatible Games:

RELEASED TITLES

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Killing Floor 2
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Infamous: First Light
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Paragon
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3

UNRELEASED TITLES

• Spider-Man
  • For Honor
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Days Gone
  • Farpoint (PSVR)
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Dishonoured 2
  • Skyrim Special Edition

I'm interested to see just how much better Final Fantasy XV will look and run on the 'Pro'.

Boo-hoo to no Bloodborne though!

Peek-a-boo

DefHalan

@Octane It actually does take a bit of work, now companies will either have to optimize for two PS4 SKUs or ignore the Pro. This could cause sales figures to dip as people who buy the Pro probably will get annoyed if software isn't using the Pro's power, or it will cause a budget to inflate as that is QA and Dev time that now needs to devote to testing/optimizing on the Pro. These are things companies have to weigh and figure out. For big AAA developers, it won't affect them as much. For Sony developers, there will probably loads of tool options to help out. For anything smaller, it will be a lot of work and a division of userbase for some. But those aren't even my complaints about the system.

My personal complaints come from there not being a good enough reason to get that. Games that run terribly on the PS4 will still run terribly on the Pro, but the graphics might be improved. Features on the Pro will be accessible on the PS4, except maybe 4K Streaming of Video content. They aren't using the Pro for improving gaming. They are using Pro to expand the audience they are marketing towards. We will see how it plays out but I don't see this being impressive, sales or power wise.

Octane

Also, every PS4 will get HDR support through a new patch! http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/09/every_ps4_console_to_b...

@DefHalan I don't expect indie games to run in 4K anyway. Something like Hyper Light Drifter, Fez or Xeodrifter? 4K wouldn't add much. Same is true for many other games. I don't think that'll be a problem.

Games on Pro could improve the framerate if that's an issue in some games.. But anyway, well, maybe it's not a big deal and people hyped this up more than they should've done? It's like the new 3DS (without the exclusives); If you already own a 3DS? Don't bother unless you want to play the best version of everything. It's mostly interesting for people that don't have a PS4 yet. And maybe the target audience is smaller than most people think it is? Well, then so be it. There's also the PS4 Slim for $299, and just like I argued with the Xbox One S, I think that is the most important thing. And on the off-chance you own a 4K TV? Hey, just $399 for a 4K compatible gaming console doesn't sound too shabby.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane PS4 getting HDR isn't helping the Pro's case. I also think the PS4 could sell better because of a lower price that should come. maybe they are only planning on selling 7 million Pro units to complement their 40 million PS4 owners. (numbers come from my own rough estimate comparing New 3DS owners to 3DS owners) But that just doesn't seem worth it.

Edited on by DefHalan

DefHalan

@Octane Have their been any images released to compare PS4 vs Pro?

IceClimbers

The PS4 Pro not having UHD Blu Ray is a really stupid choice on Sony's part.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@DefHalan The current PS4? I think that one is getting phased out for the Slim (but don't quote me on that), it would make sense though. Also let's not forget that the Pro has a 1TB HDD, whereas the Slim only has 500GB iirc. 1TB Slim should be around €350 then. The Pro is only €50 more. It's not something revolutionary, but for that price you can't complain.

Maybe it's just a way of keeping their customer's satisfied in the long run? I've never had the idea that Sony is after the short-term profits, as hardware sales have never been hugely profitable for them. If I was buying a new PS4 though, I'd definitely get the Pro, regardless of whether I already owned a 4K TV or not.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane If the regular PS4 drops to $200 or less on the second hand market, I would save the other $200 and just get that lol. The Pro doesn't really do anything extra for me

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo The DSI of PS4.

Anyway, Horizon looks great. It might be the first great open world game in years. Still no Zelda, though. Regardless of what monogamers tell themselves.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@IceClimbers Yeah that's a bit stupid.. Don't really understand their reasoning behind that either. I haven't used a Blu-Ray in ages, so it won't affect me fortunately.

@DefHalan And that's fine. That's the entire reasoning behind the multiple SKUs; You get to choose. As I said before, go for the Slim or the regular PS4 if you don't see any extra value in the Pro.

Octane

Octane

@Haru17 Horizon won't be too heavy on the RPG elements, so count me in. It has the stuff that I like in Zelda games, so I'm sure I'm going to love Horizon too.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic