Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,241 to 10,260 of 16,083

redd214

Both have their positives and negatives, I prefer digital on the ps4 (only physical game I have is RDR2, which is probably getting sold). I have total about 400 digital games and never had an issue with something being delisted and not being able to access in the past decade (besides P.T.) Nothing lasts forever, not even physical media so just really a preference thing.

redd214

Octane

redd214 wrote:

Nothing lasts forever, not even physical media so just really a preference thing.

It doesn't have to last forever, it has to last long enough. Any old NES game is still playable today. If your Wii bricks today; you can buy a second hand system, but you can't ever access your digital purchases again. And that's a last gen system. It was only discontinued five years ago, and the Wii Mini was available until last year even. Sony has been slowly shutting down stuff on PS3 as well; game servers, apps, PS+, etc. I expect it won't be too long for the entire store is pulled down.

Octane

redd214

@Octane well is what it is. It's also nintendo you're talking about who has proven time and time again they don't know how to manage online/digital things very well.

If in 10 years the ps4 store is shut down and I can't get those games any more so be it, I'm sure there will be plenty other things to play so not something I concern myself with personally. There's more than enough to worry about in life, whether or not I will be able to play my digital video games a decade+ from now is pretty low on the list lol. I prefer digital for a number or reasons and I'm glad we all have options

redd214

Ralizah

Counterpoint: Unlike the games of yore, most modern games are highly reliant on updates and day one patches to run well, so, in many cases, you'd be left with a shell of a game once all the servers went down and you lost your install data.

Moreover, it's not at all unreasonable to think that, if Sony uses a similar architecture going forward, digital PS4 games couldn't run perfectly well on future Playstation consoles. This also seems like it'll be the case for Xbox purchases into the future.

Of course, account hacking is a perfectly valid concern.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah. Among the 3 companies I have the most faith in Microsoft to be "steam-like." They have a good track record with Windows licensing servers (servers are down but you can still activate XP over the phone with an automated system and hopefully you're not unfortunate enough to deal with the Bangalore call center) and they've been focusing on backward compatibility as the primary feature in the absence of exclusive games I bought the X1 to be my "digital" system, but since then I've been digitally rebuying my PS4 catalog as games go on sales enough to be more or less "all digital" now. But I'm not entirely comfortable with it, especially on PS4. I don't trust they'll have very long-term viability. PS5 BC, sure, but they thrive too much on re-release sales and trying to push Now. And Nintendo I expect no future compatibility of any sort at all.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy It probably is. My point concerns the closure of the online storefront in combination with HDD failure (which is kinda bound to happen at some point). You lose everything, that in itself isn't a huge issue, but if the online store isn't support anymore (see Wii for example), you can't re-download any of it.

Yeah that's true. My general hope is that by the time my old consoles are dead, they'll have backwards compatibility on the future consoles.

There are very few games today that you need to original console to actually play them.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

I found from internet.
Untitled

DANG IT !!
Why The Sims 4 Expansion Packs are still for PC, PS4 & Xbox1 only ??
I was so Angry and Temptated to see this The Sims 4.
I was angry because i want to get rid my PS4, but at the same time i was Temptated to keep my PS4 because of The Sims 4.

Anti-Matter

Cobalt

Top France, who's gonna be surprised ?

Untitled

Cobalt

Dezzy

So for the people who've played both God of War and Red Dead 2, which do you think will win the GOTY awards?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

redd214

I think Red Dead will win for sure but I feel gow is the superior game by a decent margin.

redd214

Zuljaras

It has to be GoW. Nothing against Red Dead but GoW made a HUGE jump from its predecessors while as I see it Red Dead is the same as 1 but with amazing graphics.

Grumblevolcano

I predict the 5 for the Game Awards will be:
Monster Hunter World
God of War
Octopath Traveler
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Red Dead Redemption 2

With either Monster Hunter or Red Dead winning.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

It seems like PSVR is getting a price drop. I pre-ordered one for €198. It won't dispatch until next week, so I've got a bit of time to decide what I should do with it. It's the V2 (and I assume that's the latest version), it comes with VR Worlds and a camera. Pretty good price I'd say, right?

Octane

Cobalt

@Dezzy

To be honest, God of War was a kind of disappointement for me.
Don't get me wrong, they did a great job by changing the formula that add more depth to the core gameplay BUT all these changes have an impact on a lot of other things too...

In the end, I was like : "meh, neither good or bad !"

Personally, if I had to choose between God Of War III and God Of War 2018, I'd go for the third opus...

Even if Red Dead Redemption 2 has issues too (the beginning of the game is horrible..., some mechanics are not good at all...), on a global scale RDR2 has more chance to win.

PS : 2018 is a difficult year when it's about to chose a winner.

Red Dead Redemption 2
Spiderman
God Of War
Monster Hunter World
Shadow of the Colossus
Dragon Quest XI
Call Of Duty Black Ops 4
Shadows of the Tomb Raider
Detroid become Human
Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Cobalt

Cobalt

3 minutes of Anthem's gameplay. It's absolutely gorgeous but I have a bad feeling about the game in itself...

Cobalt

redd214

@Grumblevolcano tomb raider and Octopath won't be on the nomination for GOTY, no chance. Even MHW may be a stretch. Not saying their bad games at all but don't think they will even be in that particular conversation

redd214

-Green-

Fortnite should win GotY

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

NEStalgia

RDR2 probably wins. It's a great game and all, but I hate seeing games win on hype, marketing volume, and ambition instead of actual resulting output.....the result seems poorly planed in a lot of areas. Control/handling is ill conceived and gunplay is bland like it arrived in 2006. The world is amazing though.

I don't see SotTR making an appearance either. It didn't make a commercial or critical splash at all. And unfortunately the GA tends to reward commercial success more than the Oscars does, for better or worse.

If it were up to me I might give it to DQ11.

@Grumblevolcano MHW? I'd be surprised if that was up at all.

@Cobalt I haven't tried new GoW yet but I gave GoW III a spin for the first time the other day after it was the freebie and I was quite impressed with it's presentation....I wasn't expecting something so grand from it. I'm not a huge fan of the classic gameplay, and am hoping the new one really revives my interest, but I find I can say I like III way more than I expected.

Anthem....I'm cautiously optimistic. It's Destiny 2 with mechs, and EA baggage that's not much worse than Activision baggage. All the writers left Bioware prior to it, so expect DICE level writing. But on the bright side, no Starchild! Anyone expecting a Bioware RPG will be bitterly disappointed like a C&C fan at E3 2018. Anyone expecting an alternative Destiny will be pleased.

I mean it can't fail as hard as 76 looks poised to....right?

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic