Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,221 to 10,240 of 16,083

Octane

@Tsurii Geralt's supposed to be older than 50 in the books as well. It's just that Witchers don't age, so he always looks like a 50/60-year-old. Yennefer is even older than him, but witches can make themselves look younger; but I don't think she ever appeared as young as the actress who's playing her. So this seems like typical Hollywood ''we need attractive people, otherwise it won't sell''

Octane

Dezzy

Medievil trailer.

Yeah, this hasn't aged as well as Spyro.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I'll have to try the Souls games again some time. Maybe I'll go for DS3, as everybody seems to hate 2.

Sekiro just... I dunno. It looks okay, but nothing I'd paid top dollar for, and definitely way less impressive than something like Ghost of Tsushima.

Yeah, I generally don't like post-game content either. 95% of the time, once I hit the end credits, I'm DONE. I have a backlog, a job, family to spend time with. I ain't got time to run through the same 40 hour game a second time.

Oh yeah, I still need to play Torna! Have you finished it?

@Dezzy Terrible, isn't it? It's like a cleaner-looking PS2 game. Really disappointing in an era where remasters of Spyro and SotC are graphical stunners.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I did get a similarity vibe between Tsushma and Sekiro as well, and they both look great. But also very different, gameplay wise. I understand Sekiro should be a more actiony but very "FROM" game. But the grappling/verticality should shake it up and make it faster paced. And it's of course dark and fantastical, while Tsushima is an old samurai film in motion. I expect Tsushima to be the better one. But I also expect they play very differently with one as an ARPG and one as more of "Sony adventure."

I keep preserving Torna, I don't want it to end I'm in the back half, trying to do all the side quests. Which sounds odd for a Xenoblade game, but the side quests are the main game this time. Like X. Without the awfulness. There should be 88 total "Community" and some quests yield 2-3 community, most one, so I figure I have maybe 15 quests left and then will round out the story. I use it sparingly. It's small. It takes place on Torna and part of Gormott. The gameplay feels much more focused than XC2, and works so much better. Purists might gripe it's "streamlined" and that that's bad, but it takes what XC2 did, strips out annoying fluff systems and makes it smooth. Battle is "too easy" though I'll give it that.

I admit I also put off the end because....we know how it ends....

@Dezzy I'm 100% unfamiliar with MediEvil!

NEStalgia

diwdiws

@Tsurii maybe they will add a digital beard to make him look tough hehe

diwdiws

Octane

@Ralizah Is it as bad as Call of Duty's timed exclusive micro-transactions?

Octane

Octane

So apparently the entire trilogy is around 36GB, but only the first game is on a 50GB disc...

Yeah, that confirms my suspicion that only the first game was finished by the time they printed the discs. It seems like they hoped to finish 2 and 3 as a day-one patch, but they couldn't get them done in time so they delayed the whole trilogy.

Untitled

Octane

FragRed

@Octane Normally I’ll buy physical but in instances like this where most is a download, there’s really no point in doing so. I’m a sucker for some nostalgia so I’ll be buying this but digitally unfortunately.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@FragRed Yeah, physical is pointless, but I don't feel like rewarding them for this either. I don't like spending more than €20 for digital games either, so I can wait for a price drop.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane That I totally agree with. Digital games need to be far less than the physical counterparts, but of course publishers aren't going to do that - there's too much money to be made by keeping them at the same price, if not in some cases higher.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@FragRed It's not so much that, it has more to do with the fact that storing digital games is more of a hassle than physical IMO. Hard drives are prone to failure, they last what, 5 to 10 years if you're lucky? How long until your HDD fails and your digital collection becomes unplayable? You can get a new HDD, but you're very dependent on the availability of the game, the availability of the online store, etc. I don't like to think about that, just give me a physical copy

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I see your point. I never thought about that. We do unfortunately live in a throw away age though when more and more gamers are playing a game once then moving on. My brother is like that. Can’t understand why I keep all my games and always pushing me to sell them because apparently I’ll never play them again. And here I am browsing to see what 360 games are compatible, but most don’t use that feature unfortunately.

Dezzy

@Octane

Surely the download is just registered to your account though isn't it?

So if your console fails, you can redownload it all when you get a replacement console?

I would rather it was on-disc too but it's not the end of the world. I'm glad they at least divided it up by levels so apparently you can start games 2 and 3. It's just that some levels will be inaccesible.

diwdiws

@FragRed @Octane coming from a PC background and has been gaming since the early 90s, i dont really share your concerns regarding a digital collection. ive been digital since the early 2000s and sure i had HDDs fail, but i never had an instance where i cant redownload what was lost or had a backup for my files.

diwdiws

Dezzy

As long as the actual ownership of the game is tied to the physical disc, it's not that big a deal. You can still resell it and you can still transfer to another console.

Octane

@Dezzy It probably is. My point concerns the closure of the online storefront in combination with HDD failure (which is kinda bound to happen at some point). You lose everything, that in itself isn't a huge issue, but if the online store isn't support anymore (see Wii for example), you can't re-download any of it.

@diwdiws The big difference is PC. Online stores on consoles are closed down at some point after they're discontinued; that isn't the case with PC, because there are no ''generations'', no different online stores etc, it's all the same. Unless Steam or GOG goes bankrupt, you can safely assume that you can access your digital games in 20 or 30 years from now. The same can't be said of consoles.

Octane

NEStalgia

@diwdiws Coming from a PC background I absolutely have the concerns over physical. I left PC and went to console when Steam took over and physical vanished from PC.

Steam has become the "standard" now, but remember the "worse than iTunes" garbage Gabe was trying to pull with Steam back then until the EU slapped him down?

That said, in the past year I've switched digital 100% on X1 and about 80% PS4, maybe 40% Switch. But the concerns that I'm just throwing my content away are no less valid. If anything happens to the account, stolen, compromised, some unexpected thing happens that locks you out, bans you, who knows what, you lose it all. Let alone if a game is deleted from the servers for licensing/content/political reasons, etc. And that's a lot more likely to happen that catastrophic destruction of all your physical goods unless you live in a place guaranteed to be annually hit by wildfires or hurricanes. And in the farther future if the licensing server is cut off you can't access your content again, ever. As long as someone else owns control over your access to your content, you're just renting it. It's "reliable enough" for now that I'm participating now, but I'm under no illusion of what I'm risking.

Outages (XBL has been down 4 times in the past month, and over 24 hours in the past day), to say nothing of Sony's week-long outages in the past, are always a reminder of the importance of this when you go to play a game, and are not allowed to, because the servers are down. They control your access. They control when you stop using your content. (Sure, there's hacks and stuff eventually, but we're talking legitimate channels here.)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic