Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 10,261 to 10,280 of 16,083

Dezzy

Cobalt wrote:

3 minutes of Anthem's gameplay. It's absolutely gorgeous but I have a bad feeling about the game in itself...

The fact that 90% of what we've seen is just battle gameplay tells me all I need to know. This isn't a Bioware RPG. It's an EA multiplayer shooter.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Cobalt

@NEStalgia

GOW III is made to create a mixture of bombast and sheer nerve with an outstanding presentation. The game has flaws but everything is sooooo overrrrr the tooppppp that you just enjoy the present time as it comes.

GOW 2018 is a pseudo-RPG with some good ideas but never reach the top of anything (oups the sound design and mixing are top notch, my bad).
A good game without the magical touch that changes everything...

@Dezzy

I think we understood the same stuff... :/

Cobalt

NEStalgia

@Dezzy if course it is, that wasa given from the start. But still an mmo destiny type thing, which is kind of an rpg. But bioware is gone. Nothing of the old company is left. There's less bioware at bioware than rare at rare. Still the e3 roundtable made me hopeful is a but more linear structured. Me3 want much other than an offline ea shooter.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

Me3 want much other than an offline ea shooter.

Lol do you live in the north of England?

diwdiws

@Dezzy i dont think they ever marketed it as a “Bioware RPG” but rather somekind of Destiny type multiplayer shooter with some RPG elementa

diwdiws

Dezzy

@diwdiws

Until recently, everything Bioware made was assumed to be a "Bioware RPG" though.

diwdiws

@Dezzy hmm i didnt get that when Anthem was revealed. It was immediately clear that it will be multiplayer action focused. The general perception at reveal was that it was a multiplayer action title.

diwdiws

Dezzy

@diwdiws

They have tried to kinda deny that on repeated occasions though. Making it sound like it's just as story-oriented as past games. Clearly no-one's been convinced of that though.

Octane

Anthem is just EA saying ''We want Destiny money''.

Octane

redd214

I'm on board with Anthem personally. A destiny like with iron man suits doesn't sound bad to me at all. They've shown me enough to earn a preorder. Really looking forward to it!

redd214

darkfenrir

By the way, since it's not talked at all over here... What do you guys think of the Sony's new policy to the M-rated games that only hits Japanese devs?

(Including the part where they ask japanese devs that just want to release stuff in japanese to submit the approval process in english, as well as need to be at california working time?)

darkfenrir

Octane

@darkfenrir I think that part about the submission only came from one developer[1], so whether that's indicative of a policy change, it's hard to say. They mentioned that they had to write the submission in English, so they had to resort to a translator. I think that story got skewed a bit to the point where it seemed Sony was forcing Japanese developers to answer questions in English in front of them, or in real time or something like that. That doesn't seem to be true however.

Anyway, the weird thing is, there's also a bunch of stuff that didn't get censored. Catherine is reportedly uncensored. So is Soul Calibur VI, and Dead or Alive 6 too as far as we know. The developer behind Nekopara Vol. 1 came out and said their game wasn't being censored. So it's definitely not consistent.

[1] Here's a link to the interview with the developer: https://gematsu.com/2018/10/visual-novel-silverio-trinity-com...

Octane

Ralizah

@darkfenrir I won't give Sony any more of my money. Period. Any games I get on the system going forward will be used purchases, and only when there's no viable PC or Switch option.

I can't think of something much more offensive than forcing developers worldwide to bow and scape before a board of censors in California to get approval for release on the system!

I don't talk about it on here because it's greeted with a collective shrug, or, worse, celebration, and censorship is one of those things I'm not going to be able to debate in a friendly manner with other people, because, unlike most subjects, I cannot entertain opposing opinions about it. I imagine a lot of the pro-censorship people are the same way, especially considering how often they tend to turn to name-calling on the subject.

Besides, I already did my time irritating people on NL when I was constantly complaining about the spate of censorship in Wii U/3DS games a few years back.

@Octane Source on Nekopara? Everything I've seen suggests increased censorship on PS4 as compared to the Switch version. The petting is still in, but they altered certain scenes to reduce the fanservice. The censorship is way less noticeable and gross than it is in certain other games getting hit recently, but it's still there.

I'm also still curious what the Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove devs had to censor out of the game based on Sony's new policies.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

redd214 wrote:

I'm on board with Anthem personally. A destiny like with iron man suits doesn't sound bad to me at all. They've shown me enough to earn a preorder. Really looking forward to it!

I'm not. Between EA's perchant for predatorial monetization schemes, and my issues with Destiny from a critical standpoint that I could rant all day about, but mostly boil down to "the entire game is a samey sludge of mediocrity, where the wall textures have more care and attention put into them than any of the gameplay or story elements, and the music does 90% of the work of making anything actually seem exciting after only a few hours in." I see no reason why I should expect Anthem to be a game that's even remotely worth my time. The only thing that caught my attention from a gameplay standpoint were the jetpacks, and well...I already got that with Warframe and its Archwings, and then those aren't just jetpacks - Archwings are separately moddable vehichles with different stats and abilities, making them more than mere fast-travel systems.

I mean, I guess that's just part of my problem with loot-focused games as a whole: it's hard for me to care about collectables when nothing in a game has long-term value. I'd much rather have fewer tools and equipment that feel like they serve a purpose, or do something that makes them standout, instead of just making it a numbers game.

That isn't to say that it can't be fun, but only if I'm given something else to fill the void. Diablo is great because of its world and characters, I was always motivated to push on through its dungeons to see what would happen next. I always saw it as a "streamlined RPG" - it cut down on the complexity of its gameplay to focus on other common aspects of CRPGs at the time, and I appreciated it for that. Similarly, Borderlands, especially Borderlands 2, were more enjoyable for me because of its sense of humor and quirky characters. Functionally, it's not dissimilar from Destiny, but as I've been saying for years: Destiny would've been far more compelling if it had Handsome Jack taunting me as I play through its missions.

...Instead, Destiny 2 killed off the only noteable character it ever had. And I don't think I've seen a single Anthem trailer that even tried to emphasis any characters you'll meet throughout your journey. It just seems like another loot treadmill, no different from any of the others, with nothing to get attatched to - nothing to make the experience meaningful or memorable. And I can't think of anything worse than that as far as games go, because even a terrible game can leave an impact and live on in infamy, but to be forgotten is a fate worse than death. And as far as I'm concerned, EA's Anthem is already dead.

Untitled

...Yeah, Imma play Fist of the North Star instead.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@Ralizah It's in the link, but here's the Tweet:

Ralizah wrote:

I can't think of something much more offensive than forcing developers worldwide to bow and scape before a board of censors in California to get approval for release on the system!

As much as I am against any form of censorship; this is a bit of an exaggeration. All they said was that they had to fill in the approval form in English. But that's just one example. If it's true, that's pretty bad. But maybe this was just a simple mistake? I find it hard to bring out the pitchforks based on one example.

Either way, censorship in itself is silly IMO. Like, I don't even understand why the Game & Watch got censored in Smash. It seems like it's getting worse every day. Makes me wonder if they'll censor that scene with Ellie and the other girl in TLOU2, because I'm certain people were offended by that as well

Octane

redd214

@CanisWolfred that's cool man, I will enjoy Anthem for what it is as I enjoy destiny for what it is. No point in really discussing as it seems you've firmly made up your mind about it. Glad there are so many options for everyone nowadays

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Ralizah

@Octane There definitely aren't white rays. They make subtle alterations in other details in the scene to achieve a less obvious form of censorship. It's definitely more heavily censored than the Switch version, though, if you look at the CGs.

And, you know, on its own, it wouldn't have been too alarming, but given all of the moves Sony has made recently (forcing PQube not to release Omega Labyrinth Z overseas; forcing Marvelous to remove intimacy mode from Senran Kagura; forcing the Chinese release of Mary Skelter 2 to remove the purification system, which caused new bugs to surface in the game, as it was a pretty big part of it; forcing devs to censor CGs more heavily in the PS4 versions of their games), and given that the company that released the game explicitly says it's a new policy on Sony's part, I'm inclined to believe them.

TLOU Part 2 won't get censored. Partially because it's a BIG game. Partially because it's Western-developed (this seems to be almost strictly targeting Japanese devs). And partially because it's content that appeals to people of the ideological persuasion often associated with calls for increased censorship.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah To be honest, I'm not familiar with any of those games, I'm just reading from what I've read on gematsu and related sites. The fact that an awfully lot of games do get censored on PS4 is something I don't deny. And like I said, I don't like it either.

And yeah, I know TLOU2 won't get censored, but that's just pointing out the silly nature of censorship; and its inconsistency on Sony's part; ''I don't like it, so nobody gets to enjoy it''.

Octane

darkfenrir

@Octane Well it's from one developer... Right now. Considering everything else they do, I won't be surprised if they'll do it more and more until in a few years(or months if they are fast). And I didn't even realise it's forcing them to answer questions in English in real time, always thought of it as submitting the approval documents in English. Which is still unacceptable considering they are idk, a huge company that has a Japanese subsidiary (I think?). LIke what does the Japanese side do? Make tea then if they have to submit in English? o+<

By the way this video seems to explain the censorship going on quite well:

@Ralizah Same, I had been considering to buy Catherine on Vita if it get localized (doubting it) but with what Sony is doing... yeah no. I refuse to buy anything related to Sony. At least so far, from the group I'm chatting with, they all are very against the censorship. Like the censorship feels very silly and like... I don't know, very inconsistent everywhere.

(also agreed on a lot of censorship by Nintendo is silly, at least they are getting better now)

darkfenrir

Octane

@darkfenrir They're not forcing them to answer in English in real time. The original interview only mentioned answering the approval forms in English, but that got twisted and skewed by the internet, so there are comments and articles out there that seem to suggest they are doing so. Though reading your comment again, maybe that's what you meant in the first place!

Anyway, it's stupid, I agree. I thought that's what PEGI and the ESRB are for. You know, ratings, so people know what they're buying. If it's an adult game; PEGI and ESRB are the ones to inform you. I don't think platform holders should be the ones to tell you what you're allowed to play.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic