Forums

Topic: iPhone/ iPad gaming thread

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,099

retired_account

moomoo wrote:

GameLord08 wrote:

A little unrelated to discussion, but I just wanted to say it's just struck me how powerful tablets have become in relation to handhelds, especially the newer 7-inch ones. Take the Google Nexus 7, for instance:

• Running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (latest Android OS)
  • Quad-core Tegra 3 processor with a 12-core GPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • 1280x800 full HD-res screen
  • Eight hours of battery life (active use)

More powerful than a Vita (just comparing specs-wise, no gaming debates here) and the Nexus 7 is only priced starting at £159/$199. That's amazing.

And with plenty of awesome $1-5 games for cheapskates like me, I should totally try mobile gaming too some time. Rayman Jungle Run and The Last Express look awesome, and a lot of others too.

It is indeed more powerful than a Vita. How many games actually utilize that power, though? I can think of a few, like Shadowrun (I think that's what it's called; it's a third person shooter) and Epoch.
And let's not forget about the Vita having buttons and sticks to utilize for playing games.
I'm not saying that the Nexus isn't worth buying, but seeing as the Vita was made for the purpose of playing games, there will be more stuff for it that is taking advantage of the tech that's there.

Shadowgun? Epoch? Pffft. This is what a real mobile game looks like nowadays.

Untitled

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

moomoo

pixelman wrote:

moomoo wrote:

GameLord08 wrote:

A little unrelated to discussion, but I just wanted to say it's just struck me how powerful tablets have become in relation to handhelds, especially the newer 7-inch ones. Take the Google Nexus 7, for instance:

• Running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (latest Android OS)
  • Quad-core Tegra 3 processor with a 12-core GPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • 1280x800 full HD-res screen
  • Eight hours of battery life (active use)

More powerful than a Vita (just comparing specs-wise, no gaming debates here) and the Nexus 7 is only priced starting at £159/$199. That's amazing.

And with plenty of awesome $1-5 games for cheapskates like me, I should totally try mobile gaming too some time. Rayman Jungle Run and The Last Express look awesome, and a lot of others too.

It is indeed more powerful than a Vita. How many games actually utilize that power, though? I can think of a few, like Shadowrun (I think that's what it's called; it's a third person shooter) and Epoch.
And let's not forget about the Vita having buttons and sticks to utilize for playing games.
I'm not saying that the Nexus isn't worth buying, but seeing as the Vita was made for the purpose of playing games, there will be more stuff for it that is taking advantage of the tech that's there.

Shadowgun? Epoch? Pffft. This is what a real mobile game looks like nowadays.

Untitled

I implore you, name games that look like that outside of Infinity Blade and its sequel.
Also, we're talking about the Nexus, so... somewhat irrelevant.
There's a difference between capability and what is actually being put out. Very, very few mobile games push the hardware past a low threshold.
I'm not saying they suck; I'm just saying that few developers are going to put the same budgets behind mobile games as Vita games.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

moomoo

WhiteKnight wrote:

I'm not saying they suck; I'm just saying that few developers are going to put the same budgets behind mobile games as Vita games.

For now. As premium-priced tablet/ phone games start to become more commercially viable, this will change.

I agree with you, at least to a certain extent. But even with the few amount of games coming to dedicated gaming handhelds by comparison, there will still be more high profile experiences on those than on devices not made primarily for video games. Nearly everyone who buys a dedicated handheld is willing to spend lots of money on their games. That is not true for a large portion of people with tablets, since they are much more versatile in what they do.

If dedicated handhelds start to die off, however, then that's a different story.

Best thread ever

Bankai

moomoo wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

For now. As premium-priced tablet/ phone games start to become more commercially viable, this will change.

I agree with you, at least to a certain extent. But even with the few amount of games coming to dedicated gaming handhelds by comparison, there will still be more high profile experiences on those than on devices not made primarily for video games. Nearly everyone who buys a dedicated handheld is willing to spend lots of money on their games. That is not true for a large portion of people with tablets, since they are much more versatile in what they do.

If dedicated handhelds start to die off, however, then that's a different story.

PC gaming is alive and well despite (and quite the premium way to play games) despite suffering from all the "problems" you just outlined above.

moomoo

WhiteKnight wrote:

moomoo wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

PC gaming is alive and well despite (and quite the premium way to play games) despite suffering from all the "problems" you just outlined above.

That's actually a pretty good point. However, the experiences on PC often outshine those on consoles, at least for most of the cases I can think of. Mobile gaming, on the other hand, doesn't do that; intstead, the games that are the best on Mobile are greatly different than those on consoles. The example that always springs to mind for me is Hook Champ; it's incredibly fun, much so because it's something that would only really work well on mobile devices. It also sold very well. Maybe that's what I should have brought up first.

Also, pretty much everyone owns a PC. Not so for the tablet market. Although that will probably change in due time. Additionally, PC gaming doesn't exactly outshine console gaming in terms of sales, unless if we're talking about stuff that is specific to the platform (which lines up with my above point) or is made by Valve.

Best thread ever

moomoo

WhiteKnight wrote:

We just pointed out that the newer tablets outshine what even the Vita can offer.

I have iPad games that the Vita could not possibly run.

I feel like this argument is going in a circle.

I'd certainly agree with you if tablets offered ways to play genres that just don't work as well on touch screen only devices by offering a controller. There really aren't any options out there that are officiated by Apple, Samsung or Android that aren't incredibly overpriced, however, so I really doubt we'll see a portion of games outside of the single digits on a yearly basis that outshine what is regularly put into games for dedicated gaming handhelds. That can change; I just don't see it happening for a very long time. Even then, we have to factor in that part of why mobile gaming is popular is because it is, well, mobile, so people aren't exactly going to want to carry controllers around with them. Without an option to effectively play genres that usually require more resources and manpower to make, why put in that much money and effort into it in the first place?

Best thread ever

Bankai

Jon_Talbain wrote:

You can have a complex, intensive, graphics-heavy game without buttons, you know. They've already got some examples out there, and I'm sure people can figure out more ways to do them.

And if all else fails, there's this: http://www.chinahcs.com/ipad-iphone-itouch-charging-game-cont...

Yeah, this.

Once again, I have games on my iPad that would never, ever, get a console port. I am not talking about just in terms of graphics.

If you're going to continue to criticise these devices, Moomoo, I would suggest you get one first.

moomoo

Alright, I guess we can find a middle ground here.
I don't think I'm really criticising these devices, or at least I'm not trying to. Heck, Hook Champ is one of my favorite portable games ever, and that would never work on anything that isn't touch screen only. I'm simply saying we aren't getting many games that exceed the calibur of what's put on 3DS and Vita for the most part in terms of budget, and I doubt we'll see it happenning for a while, as in half a decade or longer. I just don't see the trends going upward that quickly for the community of those devices. Yes, there are already examples of games that have some incredbily high budgets, like Infinity Blade, Real Racing 3, and a few others. But I don't see the amount of games penetrating more than 1 of those monthly for a very long time, and I think I'm being generous. My two cents anyway.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever

RR529

Was just on IGN, and I guess there has been a The World Ends With You sequel announced for iOS.

It's called The World Ends With You: LIVE Remix, & it takes place in a parallel universe to the original game, with an all new cast of characters.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

moomoo

RR529 wrote:

Was just on IGN, and I guess there has been a The World Ends With You sequel announced for iOS.

It's called The World Ends With You: LIVE Remix, & it takes place in a parallel universe to the original game, with an all new cast of characters.

It's made by a social game giant in Japan. Based off of impressions, it seems to combine social gaming with action, weirdly enough. I can't really feel excited for it right now.

Best thread ever

moomoo

DarkKnight wrote:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3576178/apple-ipad-mini-re...
Does this mean I have to buy an iPad mini?

Huh, the battery life actually turned out to be pretty good. That was my main concern with the thing, outside of price of course.
For me, I probably won't get one, mainly because my dad walked in with a Microsoft Surface the day it came out, so there isn't much use in me buying one now, besides the games and ease of use of iTunes.

Best thread ever

Hokori

... What? TWEWY sequel for i? ...

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Hokori

Oh spin off (possibly) ok I might look into it

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.