Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Fez II Cancelled, Phil Fish Leaves The Gaming World.

Showing 1 to 20 of 79

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pntjr

1. Posted:

IGN wrote:

Phil Fish has announced that production has ceased on Fez II.

The news broke on Fish's personal Twitter account, where the developer wrote: "im done. FEZ II is canceled. goodbye."

This was followed shortly by a more formal statement made via the official Polytron account (the company co-founded by Fish in 2008):
"It's with a heavy heart that we announce that FEZ II has been cancelled and is no longer in development. We apologize for the disappointment."

It's currently unclear why production has ceased on the very recently-announced game (we only found out about Fez II last month). But the announcement was made in the wake of a very public spat Fish was having over Twitter. We're refraining from re-posting these Tweets here, since the argument has not been cited as the reason behind the game's cancellation.

In fact, in a fresh blogpost, Fish says the decision can not be attributed to a single reason and was due more to a cumulative effect: "FEZ II is cancelled. i am done. i take the money and i run. this is as much as i can stomach. this is isn’t the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign. you win."

Update:
Phil Fish has subsequently tweeted to confirm that the decision to end the production of Fez II was not down to a recent Twitter disagreement but a more general desire to leave the world of games due to the abuse he has received.

"To be clear, im not cancelling FEZ II because some boorish f**k said something stupid," tweeted Fish. "im doing it to get out of games."

And he went on to add: "and im getting out of games because i choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

Although I love Fez, my hate for Phil Fish cancels it out so I have mutual feelings about this.
What do you think?

Edited on by pntjr

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Toad

2. Posted:

I feel bad..... for the game being canned. For Phil, Good riddence.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
Retro Clue!
Games are games ppl. Enjoy 'em.
Remember N64 Turoks? Want it on VC?
I gave in to darkness to have this bio.
Net neutrality is dead. Pls use revive.
Bad day? listen to this.

3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NavySpheal

3. Posted:

I think Phil Fish is a grown man with a six year old's mentality. He can't handle criticism and once told someone to compare Fish's life to the commenter's, and then kill yourself. If you have THAT much stress making video games, it's good that you're leaving the industry. He's just not a respectable person.
I've never played Fez, but this ruins all chances.

3DS FC: 4596-9744-5868
Buffalo wings are a gift from the gods themselves.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morpheel

4. Posted:

There was a Fez II on the works?

Oops, no username pun.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

5. Posted:

Sounds like he couldn't take the pressure. Well, not everyone's cut out to be in the public eye...I really do feel bad that people ragged on him so, though, as I am with everyone who gets constantly attacked on the internet. :sigh: Oh well. It's a shame, Fez was a good game, and I would've loved to have see where he'd go with it in a sequel. But, 'tis not to be...

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Swiket

6. Posted:

AeroTech wrote:

He can't handle criticism and once told someone to compare Fish's life to the commenter's, and then kill yourself.

I had fun once and it was awful.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4964-0323

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

7. Posted:

^People really need to watch Futurama more.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Karakato

8. Posted:

As much as I'm not fond of his ego, Fez was good no doubt. Maybe it's for the best that he takes a break from the spotlight especially with how he cancelled a game due to a slew emails and tweets from haters.

Edited on by Karakato

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

9. Posted:

Its unfortunate since Fez was a pretty great game with a god tier soundtrack. However as a person Phil Fish represents the bad pretentious side of indie gaming that comes off like a Jerk. My problem is that dude has no problem giving people a hard time and acting like he's the epitome of indie gaming (In reality its either Cave Story or Braid imo) but when people come back at him with retorts he can't handle it.

On the flipside I think Jonathan Blow of Braid fame can be a jerk sometimes but he's able to give his thoughts in a concise manner

Than there's this.

While I have my problems with Japanese games as of late there's a better way to support your argument than YOUR GAMES SUCK JAPAN. Blow at least gave good reasons and then gave what he thought were exceptions to the rule, while being able to criticize western games for being homogenized as well.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

10. Posted:

Morphtorok wrote:

There was a Fez II on the works?

It was announced at the horizon indie games event.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

11. Posted:

I feel sorry for the guy. I can't blame him though. Having people constantly hate, insult, and abuse you becuase of their fanboy mentality must start to get old and take a toll after a while. People twist his statements simply because they want to hate him. I mean, yeah, sometimes he did say something that deserved critisism, a good few times poeple hated on him for the sake of it.

Edited on by Jaz007

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Einherjar

12. Posted:

@Sony_70 That clip gave me cancer....
These are truly horrible people and obviously, have no idea what they are talking about.
Japanese games dont givin g the player enough freedom, but western games that consist up to 90% of scripted cutscenes, stiff scripted events and such do ? Absolute bullpoopoodoodiedoodoopeepeeexcrement.
watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

13. Posted:

I think the guy should have left the internet (or as much as an indie game creator can) because he just can't deal with it. He really, seriously cannot deal with the internet and clearly hasn't a clue how it works.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordJumpMad

14. Posted:

He might have been a little man with a big mouth, but at less his game was fun, and that is all what matters.
Not every game designer is happy and go lucky like Shigeru Miyamoto, and he shouldn't have been judge because he was a jerk.
People today are too sensitive.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

15. Posted:

Einherjar wrote:

@Sony_70 That clip gave me cancer....
These are truly horrible people and obviously, have no idea what they are talking about.
Japanese games dont givin g the player enough freedom, but western games that consist up to 90% of scripted cutscenes, stiff scripted events and such do ? Absolute bullpoopoodoodiedoodoopeepeeexcrement.

They put up a ton of good points about cutscenes not being optional, not having as much freedom in most western sandbox games. Also you act like Jonathan Blow didn't saw that the majority of western games are about a Bald white guy looking down iron sights. On the note I'd agree with Japanese games being more hand holdy as of Late SKyward Sword being the chief offender. At the same time SLU has been an air of freshness in its focus on challenge

Also while a good percentage of games are scripted cutscenes you still have a variety of gameplay and a meshing of Genres where you have something like Borderlands which is fist person RPG esque diablo style game. You really don't get that from the japanese market as of late imo. The closet I can think of is probably Binary Domain or Dragon's Dogma. (Monster Hunter done right.)

Also despite the western market having alot of homogenization our market has the advantage of actually having a thriving independent scene a(something Japan sadly doesn't) because of steam and the consoles picking up self publishing and whatnot. (I blame PC not being popular in that region)

Edited on by theblackdragon

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

16. Posted:

Einherjar wrote:

@Sony_70 That clip gave me cancer....
These are truly horrible people and obviously, have no idea what they are talking about.
Japanese games dont givin g the player enough freedom, but western games that consist up to 90% of scripted cutscenes, stiff scripted events and such do ? Absolute bullshit.

I've always had the impression that western game design was full of tutorials, baby gamer-hand holding, overly long cutscenes, scripted AI/Events/Explosions, lacking in challenge, often playing out like an interactive movie and what have you. Everything that bald guy said is how i feel about the western side of gaming. :p with the over saturation in post appocalyptic war/zombie driven FPS's western gaming is leaving a nasty stain on the industry......Just as NSMB. is for the 2D Mario franchise. ;)

The Wonderful 101 is probably the most unique video game on the horizon. :p As great as the Wii U lineup for this year looks Nintendo doesn't exactly have anything truly original in their arsenal. Just 'safe' predictable sequals all around. Can't wait for Miyamoto's new IP in 2014!

Also, YACHT Club > Phll Fish . Yes i have played Shovel Knight(All lies) and it's going to 'bury' the indy competition. Believe me, you'll 'dig' it.

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pntjr

17. Posted:

@Sony_70 Okay that's it, Phil Fish is a complete hugglebunny. I hated him before, but now I'm happy Fez II is cancelled, I don't want his game in the spotlight
watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Swiket

18. Posted:

Why would you be glad Fez II got cancelled? If you didn't want to play it, then it literally does not affect you in any way. Meanwhile, the people who were looking forward to it are negatively affected. Just saying that you didn't want it in the spotlight sounds a bit petty.

Edited on by Swiket

I had fun once and it was awful.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4964-0323

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Phatosaurus

19. Posted:

World's smallest violin.

Edited on by Phatosaurus

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

20. Posted:

Phatosaurus wrote:

World's smallest violin.


As for Fisher, he had it coming to him when he was hating others so the hate will come back on him, and I never played Fez so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
Nintendo Friends website/forums I eShop Gurus I Random Game Thread I The graveyard (backloggery)
Currently owns Mario & Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL...no Wii U yet.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror