Forums

Topic: Best (not 2016) games you played during 2016

Posts 21 to 31 of 31

Vinny
  • Super Mario Galaxy (2007): Just amazing. Incredible platforming, levels, bosses and that fully orchestrated soundtrack. Wow!
    The second game is also worth mentioning, but I enjoyed the first one more. I prefer the original's levels and 2 lacked that 'wow' factor I got from playing 1 for the first time. Still, a great sequel.
  • Sonic Colors (2010): One of best 3D Sonic games for sure. Very unique levels, the wisps are very fun to use and don't feel gimmicky, excellent music. The controls are more on-rails and less slippery than in past games. Visually, it looks great and is one of the best looking games on the Wii. I still think it looks good now.
    Jumps can be a little floaty and some levels take quite a bit of trial and error, these are the only complaints I have. The game is genuinely fun to play. And one of my top Sonic games.
  • Earthbound (1995): Very unique experience, the humor is something very wacky, weird and something hard to find anywhere else. The combat is the same as most RPGs, however.
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade (2009): Beautiful 2D game set Japan by vanillaware, experts in creating beautiful 2D games. It's a great mix between a beat 'em up, action RPG with a little bit of metroidvania. There's a also sword evolution tree and it feels very satisfying.
  • DKC 2 (1995): The sequel many consider to be the best game in the series. The soundtrack is one of the best you'll hear in the SNES. The levels are larger and more challenging than the first game and there many new elements as well.
  • Rayman Legends (2011): This was Rayman's return after 5 years of rabbids (at the time). It has great 2D art, it's extremely fluid (it runs at 60FPS), and it has great levels and platforming. You die a lot in this game, but the lives are infinite, so you can try and try again.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

caheaton

For me, it's been the following:
#1 Star Wars Battlefront (PS4). My favorite genre is multiplayer FPS, so the majority of my playing time this year has been with this. It's just an all around fun game.

#2 Mario Kart 8 (WiiU). This is my go to game when I feel like a quick gaming session or want to engage in something "light". I enjoy playing against both the AI (a bit too easy) and against live players.

#3 Until Dawn (PS4). Another genre I used to really enjoy in the past were the PC games that were more like interactive movies (such as Phantasmagoria). Until Dawn brings back those memories with a truly engrossing game and story. (And the way it quietly turns on the camera to secretly film the player during a jump scare is a clever trick and a lot of fun to watch later.... ).

caheaton

JaxonH

I'm going to break down the best games I played on each system, but the best overall games I played among all of the systems I will highlight in bold. Admittedly only a handful of these I've actually finished but that's just my style of playing, as I spread myself so thin among so many games the only ones I actually see through to completion are the absolute best. Although I have so many favorites I want to finish there's just not enough time.

3DS

• Fire Emblem Fates
  • Monster Hunter Generations
  • Dragon Quest VII
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D

Wii U

• Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Paper Mario Color Splash
  • The Last Story Wii BC
  • Metroid Other M Wii BC (started years ago, but finally came back to it this year)

PS4

• Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Dragon Quest Heroes
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • The Last Guardian

PSVR

• DriveClub VR
  • Super Stardust VR
  • Batman Arkham VR
  • PSVR Worlds London Heist and Luge
  • Robinson The Journey

Vita

• World of Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest Builders

Xbox One

• Quantum Break
  • ReCore
  • XCOM 2
  • Gears of War 4
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Lost Odyssey 360 BC
  • Blue Dragon 360 BC

PC

• Dragon Age Origins
  • Dragon Age II
  • Torchlight II
  • Civilization VI

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tasuki

I will list the ones that come to mind right now, I am sure there is alot more

Borderlands 2 — PS4
Journey — PS4
Fallout 4 — PS4
Ghouls N Ghosts — Sega Genesis
Paperboy — Genesis
Double Dragon — Genesis
Soul Caliber — Dreamcast
Quake — N64

It's hard to say which one was my favorite and I know I am missing some. I enjoyed them for various reasons so I can't pick one.

I liked Journey for the simplicity yet deep game play, Borderlands 2 cause it's Borderlands and I was finally able to beat it. Paperboy, Ghouls N Ghosts and Double Dragon were awesome as well because they are the perfect arcade ports on a home console, which can also be said about Soul Caliber to a point but that one was great just on how well it still holds up. Fallout 4 is just fun to go around and explore sadly due to that I haven't completed much of the game.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

caheaton

Forgot these, so add them to my prior post :

Snoopy's Grand Adventure (WiiU)
Pinball Arcade (PS4)
Journey (PS4)
Hasbro Family Fun Pack (PS4)
Angry Birds Star Wars (Wii)
Ju On: The Grudge (Wii)
Pure Chess (WiiU)
The Simpsons Game (Wii)
Mercury Meltdown Revolution (Wii)
Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection (Wii)

Edited on by caheaton

caheaton

Haru17

Gravity Rush... 2 and Nioh.

They ain't 2017 games

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

They ain't 2017 games

I don't know what this post means, but whatever it is, is probably stupid.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

They ain't 2017 games

Demoes. He's declaring that demoes of incomplete games to be better experiences than the actual full games he may or may not have played last year.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

They ain't 2017 games

Demoes. He's declaring that demoes of incomplete games to be better experiences than the actual full games he may or may not have played last year.

Well at least I know why I was correct.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DepthInGaming

Overall I have to go with Rainbow Six Siege. It's the game I continue to play over anything else in my library. Shows what happens to a game when a publisher continues to support it!

Capturing the depth and beauty of video games on Twitter!

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.