Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 2,536

Tsurii

@zionich oh yeah, totally. The combat's always been fun in Xenoblade and I like how each game has its own intricacies to the same general gameplay. I could (and I'm sure I did at some point with Xenoblade X) probably spend an entire day just fighting stuff and trying different things to beat the toughest bosses. I've beaten everything there is to beat in both of the other games and I'll do the same thing here lel

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Snaplocket

@Arminillo Well in that case, it's a cop-out. Too convenient in my opinion.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

Snaplocket

@JTMnM There's actually quite a few issues with the game.

QoL problems: mostly the garbage map system and rare blades relying on luck (I went through 30 core crystals without getting one), I know it's getting a patch soon but it doesn't really help the bad navigation.

Pacing: it's slowly paced and the combat doesn't become really enjoyable until almost 30 hrs in when you can finally have 3 blades at a time.

Cutscenes: I get it's an RPG and all that but they really went overboard with the cut-scenes and the fact that almost none of them can be sped up doesn't help matters. Chapters always begin and end with a ton cut-scenes and you can't skip any of them without missing out on the story. On the flipside some of the cut-scenes are totally pointless and the game would lose nothing of value of those were cut.

Affinity Charts: Seriously, the way the game handles these is atrocious. My playthrough was almost 100 hrs long and I swear I spent at least 15 of them hunting down random monsters or doing tedious fetch quests just to get that one stupid perk. It takes way, way too long to build up affinity. This was already a major issue in the first two games and I have no idea how the developers thought this was an improvement.

I also have some personal complaints but those probably aren't things you'd take no issue with so I'll keep them to myself. I will say that there was a lot of sexual stuff that made me really uncomfortable. I know it's Japan and all that but no other JRPG managed to make me feel so uncomfortable.

I still think it's a great game overall, but definitely not a favorite like you.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

Anti-Matter

@Snaplocket
"I will say that there was a lot of sexual stuff that made me really uncomfortable."

Eh ?!
What was that sexual stuffs ?
Sexy butts ? Big boobs from Blades ??

Anti-Matter

Snaplocket

@Anti-Matter There are some scenes that really REALLY didn't need to be in the game. I'll just leave it at that.

Snaplocket

Galenmereth

Snaplocket wrote:

@JTMnM There's actually quite a few issues with the game.

Cutscenes: I get it's an RPG and all that but they really went overboard with the cut-scenes and the fact that almost none of them can be sped up doesn't help matters. Chapters always begin and end with a ton cut-scenes and you can't skip any of them without missing out on the story. On the flipside some of the cut-scenes are totally pointless and the game would lose nothing of value of those were cut.

Affinity Charts: Seriously, the way the game handles these is atrocious. My playthrough was almost 100 hrs long and I swear I spent at least 15 of them hunting down random monsters or doing tedious fetch quests just to get that one stupid perk. It takes way, way too long to build up affinity. This was already a major issue in the first two games and I have no idea how the developers thought this was an improvement.

I also have some personal complaints but those probably aren't things you'd take no issue with so I'll keep.

So wait, you’re complaining about not being able to skip cutscenes without missing out on the story..? In what way could that ever be solved? They’re not even long cutscenes.

As for the affinity chart, the whole idea of these are “endgame” centric. None of them are needed to be remotely maxed out to see the entirety of the main story nor the sidequests; it’s there for people who want to push further, and beat the toughest optional enemies and bosses. The fact that every chart is different and requires different approaches to unlock many of the nodes - with the added bonus of being able to offload said work to merc missions if you want - is one of the more inspired endgame activities related to passive traits unlock I’ve seen in any RPG to date in my opinion.

Galenmereth

Xaldin

I just finished the game and I've got to say it's definitely my favourite story out of all the Xenoblade games. Right now I'm aiming to get the rest of the rare blades, only 8 left to go (although all of them are random chance ones so it might take a while).

I especially like how many of the rare blades have their own side stories and some of them are actually pretty interesting, like Theory and Praxis. Brought a tear to my eye at the end.

So far I'm 90 hours into the game but I can see myself playing for a while longer to finish all the side quests and max out the affinity charts. The most addicting part of the game for me is the core crystals. I get addicted pretty easily to things like loot boxes, or random summons like in Fire Emblem Heroes. These are especially great because it involves no micro transactions, otherwise I probably would have dumped a lot of money into the game. Also, I'm kind of curious which rare blade people got first from a non story/sidequest core crystal. My first one was Perceval.

Edited on by Xaldin

My Switch username is Cynas. If you know which game that name comes from without looking it up then I'm very proud of you.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Snaplocket

@Galenmereth I don't care, I've played many many JRPGs and the only other games in the genre where I had problems with the cutscenes is Xenosaga (which is made by the same company). I still consider the affinity charts a negative, when a blade that is permantly stuck on me has a perk which I can only get by killing 6 rare enemies in one specific place, that just fills frustration and me is just plain not fun. Having to get earlier perks tog et later ones sucks too, and a large chunck of the perks ARE mandatory in order to finish certain sidequests and the main game so you can't just ignore them. There's plenty of post game stuff as is, it's completely unneeded. (imo, gotta say imo otherwise people start complaining) These aren't my only problems with the game. The game REALLY needed to give you the option to reread tutorials and most of the villains, bar two of them, were interesting and some of the attempts at drama and "shocking reveals" felt really sloppily done in my opinion. I still think it's a great game, just not one of my absolute favorites.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

JTMnM

@Snaplocket The only points I'll yield to you are those regarding general QoL issues and the Blade system. The map, issues with rendering, and others are all likely to be patched. It wouldn't be too dubious to assert the Blade system might get more generous in time.

Anyway, the remainder of your criticisms are completely subjective . . . which is pretty funny because you close with mentioning you'll spare me your personal complaints. Quickly going over them --- Your problem with the game's pacing is an opinion and also unfounded, for starters. Most RPGs begin with a weak protagonist that builds strength over time. It's not a wild observation to state an RPG's mid/end-game mechanics are more entertaining than its prologue. Your stance on cutscenes is actually ridiculous. You want to speed through cutscenes but don't want to miss them. If they're too long, there is a skip function. Given that you can pull up quest information at nearly any time, you'll never be left helpless in terms of what you're supposed to do. Later, you can pull up the cutscenes either on Youtube or through the game itself should you want to refer to them. Finally, the only times in the main story when the player is required to exercise traits from Affinity Charts (that may have not been built up) are also granted with branching paths so players can continue the story without grinding. Maxing out these trees often make Blades OP. Myrtha basically becomes a god, for example. It makes sense they would be a little tedious to complete. They aren't a requirement. They only serve to make the game easier and as additional fluff for completionists.

Edited on by JTMnM

JTMnM

Switch Friend Code: SW-4706-4065-3902

Snaplocket

@JTMnM I don't agree with you. These are all things I don't have a problem with in other RPGs. I consider them flaws. You don't, and I'm okay with that. You have your opinion and I have mine. Also, suggesting to someone that they think a game has an issue is to just ignore it is NOT a good argument.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

JTMnM

@Snaplocket I already granted your opinion on the combat, though I did say it's pretty common for an RPG to steadily build up the mechanics. Anecdotally, I haven't seen people share your position, but that's the beauty of opinions. Even if you're the only one thinking that way, it's still your opinion. Also, I'm not telling you to ignore the problems you have. I'm just saying and explaining why I think they're silly.

Take your complaint on Affinity Charts: Essentially, your complaint is that maxing out traits is too hard. That's silly, because you're basically saying that it's too hard to make your character OP. I'd continue with your other criticisms, but I think I already said enough.

Edited on by JTMnM

JTMnM

Snaplocket

@JTMnM That don't become OP, just at the level the game expects. Otherwise you stand no chance.

Snaplocket

JTMnM

@Snaplocket You're doing something wrong if you need to max out your Blades to get through the game and even handle superbosses. Review your Blade loadout, accessories, and aux cores. Make sure you can easily create seals. Build out your tanks for either block or evasion, and assure they can build aggro quickly. Attackers should have critical HP absorb and things to improve critical rate. I don't have a dedicated healer, and I'm able to take out superbosses pretty easily. It's worth noting the only Blade I maxed out so far is Mythra.

JTMnM

Galenmereth

Can confirm what @JTMnM is saying here, there is absolutely no requirement to max out any affinity charts in the game for the main story - had none of mine even close to maxed out when I beat the main story just one level above the boss, and I still have none maxed out entirely yet and I'm fighting level 90 bosses doing affinity stuff in between sidequests when I feel like it. More often than not I end up randomly unlocking them for Blades through doing unrelated things or merc missions.

It's all about putting together teams of complimentary Blades for the role you want a Driver to have, think about aux cores and accessories and use complimentary ones for the role you intended, and don't forget to use pouch items; these are actually extremely useful and cheap. Understand combat, use Break > Topple > Launch > Smash, use elemental combos, etc.

Edited on by Galenmereth

Galenmereth

Inertiacreep

@Snaplocket I think you're just QQ about the blade system. To me, I think its great... Like I've played FF6 probably 20 times in my life... I know where everything is. It's the same every time I play it. I think this system is great. It will NEVER be the same each time you play through. You will always get different party members at different times.

The cutscenes.. well I love cutscenes in JRPG... Xenosaga is practically my favorite ever, so I think it's great. 100 hour games I enjoy the downtimes.

@Anti-Matter I basically described all this a few pages ago and other members were basically arguing this game isn't perverted but it really is.

Inertiacreep

iLikeUrAttitude

I really can't wait to play this game (I can't open my Switch or the copy until Christmas). And I'm going to take my time playing it instead of rushing the story, I'll take my time to explore, do quests etc. I learned my lesson after playing the first Xenoblade game, the bosses out-leveled me and I couldn't even hit them.

Good... good
Let the weeb flow through you...

Switch Friend Code: SW-1693-4995-1592 | 3DS Friend Code: 3453-9931-7768

Tsurii

@Galenmereth @JTMnM and the other games were just like that as well.
X in particular allowed for a crapton of different builds to defeat its superbosses (and other post-game enemies) with damn near every build that was even just close to being fully upgraded being "viable". There was some more specialized stuff that needed a good amount of optimization (and there was one guy on Youtube who uploaded Videos with him defeating the superbosses with a plethora of really unique builds and weapon combinations) but unless you wanted to beat everything in less than 5 minutes you could beat a lot of those battles with some tenacity, even with somewhat "half-assed" builds.

And that's the beauty of it. I beat X at around 100 hours, and played it for close to 200 more beyond that, just because of the sheer amount of experimentation it allowed for its combat.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

JTMnM

@Tsurii Exactly right! I played XCX for years and logged somewhere around 700 hours if memory serves me correctly. I experimented with several builds. My final one was a photon saber and multigun build. Man, what a diverse and engaging combat system. It definitely bears similarity to XC2. Veterans like us probably had an easier time getting acclimated to the mechanics introduced.

Now I want XCX on Switch. I hope for consistent online in some form where you can travel the continents with your friends. Its multiplayer was so fun. Not to be greedy, but I also want XC HD on the Switch. And an HD Xenosaga Collection. And Xenogears. LOL!

JTMnM

erv

After this I'll want a xenoblade next thing. I'm not done with the story yet but if this vibe continues the entire game I'm buying the dlc because it is awesome.

The anatomically awesome evello is bringing the fame and glory!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic