Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,981 to 45,000 of 70,067

RR529

Think I just had my first real taste of Joy-Con drift. I was playing some Pirate Warriors 3 tonight, and on multiple ocassions when I went to adjust the camera view, it would continually spin around after I let go of the stick (only stopping when I nudged the stick again).

I thought I noticed it a tiny bit a few months ago when I was playing Astral Chain, but it seemingly went away so I never gave it much thought until tonight.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

Atelier Dusk Trilogy available for preorder on Play-Asia. English version, same as the NA digital release. Full game on cart, as is typical for Asian releases. $90 but same price it’s releasing for digitally here. Free shipping and one of their $5 off coupons means $85 shipped, which is a little more palatable. For a 32gb cart I’ll pay it though.

Trails of Cold Steel Collector Edition also available on NIS Store. Seems to be a very nice one too. I was debating the CE for PS4 a few weeks ago because I wanted the steelbook to complete the trilogy. Glad I didn’t cause now I can just grab on Switch.

@Ralizah
I buy into what you’re saying, except the random ports of old games part. I don’t think that is a factor to the point someone says I’m looking for a game to buy, but this is a port so I’m not interested. And I don’t see them as being any more random than any other game out there. Games are games. Good games are good games. Every game is a random game trying to sell the customer on how good it is. Some succeed and some do not, but that’s usually based on how good the game is and what quality of port it is. That’s why it’s unfortunate to see a good game that’s an immaculate port fall victim to circumstance (not the first time it’s happened and won’t be the last, still unfortunate to see though).

@NintendoByNature
Probably. Assassin’s Creed will be fine. That game will sell for years to come and every Black Friday following when they put it on sale. But Alien Isolation deserves better. It’s also notable as the first mature, western title from Sega on the system. I do think the file size has put some off (even if I personally think it’s a bit silly to play video games then let a game’s installation come between you and said hobby). But had they compressed the audio to cut the size down, you’d see disinterest due to that. Personally I’d rather see a big file size. Especially using a proper headset now where I can enjoy the audio in its fullest.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yea you're prob right with AC rebel selling well for a while. Ive read and heard rave reviews about alien isolation but I don't think I got the joy cons for that intense of a game. Coming off resident evil 4 and Devil may cry, both were intense enough for me for a good while. I am surprised though considering it's been highly talked about and in a good way at that. It's just not for me, at least for a while.

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

@JaxonH Star Ocean is a PSP game from a decade or so ago, and the franchise itself, while not lost to time, is niche even within the JRPG fandom. Alien: Isolation is a more recognizable name, but it's not really a game anyone has talked about in years, and it coming to Switch now... I mean, it's fine, it's one more for the pile, but there's almost no actual interest for these releases. Compare that to ports of games that are actually in demand. Which isn't to say that they aren't good games, or that they shouldn't come over, but with zero fanfare or real demand, you don't see why someone would lack interest in these releases?

During a slow period, they'd probably be fine. Heck, I'd probably have have downloaded Star Ocean early last year, and probably will at some point in the future. But these releases aren't ideally situated. People have spent the money that they're going to spend, and even if they wanted to spend more, there's dozens of great, much bigger releases to dig into.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I get that the timing is off, but I’m not saying it should be top 10 in the eshop charts either. But where it’s at now seems to indicate it’ll be lucky to move 10,000 units sold (judging by Untitled Goose Game remaining in the number one spot for weeks just to hit 100,000). And that’s poor even for an old port without much fanfare. In fact I think we’ve seen shovelware do better than that. For the caliber of game it is, the acclaim and quality of port, it’s performance is reminiscent of the Wii U era.

I’m just saying, it should be doing better than the number 300 spot on launch day. Maybe 50-100 range. That would still be low, but within reason. This is “we don’t ever want you to being a mature title again” levels of performance, even for a December release. For Alien Isolation. Not Star Ocean. Because as you said, it’s niche. Then again, it’s more recognizable than Saga Scarlet Grace, and that game is 100 spots ahead of it somehow (and looks downright horrible imo). Games like Call of Juarez were always going to struggle to find an audience, as Switch gamers just aren’t big on mature FPS (even with gyro), though I do believe for the price and included gyro, it should be where Alien Isolation is now, but I have a feeling it’ll do far worse than that, even.

Alien Isolation Impressions
Playing Alien Isolation now, and wow. I think we have a new contender for best looking game on the system. It’s up there with Sniper Elite III, and the cutscenes are even better. Audio is downright mind blowing. I mean, I feel like I’ve experienced an epiphany listening to this game proper headphones, with audio sounding like it’s coming from behind you and around you... there was an alarm going off and it sounded so real I thought the sound had switched to my television somehow, but when I removed my headset I didn’t hear anything. I was shocked the sound was actually coming from my headset because it didn’t sound close.

Haven’t gotten far enough to truly judge the gameplay yet, but if it’s anywhere close to being as good as the consensus claims I think I’m going to end up regarding this game very highly.

@NintendoByNature
I’m very picky with “horror” games. I don’t like super evil and demonic and I don’t like gory. But campy or just scary monster horror, that I can usually stomach. Resident Evil is my big horror series I like. And The Last of Us (if you can classify it as such... I do). This game feels like it also falls into that category. But at the same time it relies on some creepy jump scares and I am not sure if I have the stomach for that. But I’m going to give it an honest go nonetheless.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH for sure. Resident evil is kind of my "dont go beyond" game(s).. I tried the evil within but I couldn't do it. Silent hill years ago but I was too terrified( also a kid at that time), if I am armed, and it's a fair fight, I'll be in for it, most of the time..even RE still gets me at times honestly.

NintendoByNature

Ryu_Niiyama

ok just saw the NEW game play footage for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and this is soooo my cup of tea.
Edited for clarity

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

GrailUK

@Ryu_Niiyama Is that on Switch? It's beautiful!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Ryu_Niiyama

@GrailUK Not out yet...coming this "winter" which you know in video game speak is like between now and August, lol.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

GrailUK

@Ryu_Niiyama Haha Will keep an eye out for that one Cheers

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

Ya they announced Of Rice and Ruin a while back. I’m cautiously optimistic though because it reminds me of Unruly Heroes, which looked great but... it didn’t do it for me.

This is such an excellent launch trailer. Ubisoft gets it.

NintendoByNature

Kinda surprised not many are posting zelda levels for smm2. There was a couple, but not what I'd expect a couple days into the update

NintendoByNature

Ryu_Niiyama

@Grumblevolcano What is the triple pack amiibo release date? Amazon still doesn't have a date for my preorder...

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Dezzy

Am I right that the physical version of shovel knight contains all of the newer DLC as free updates?

I'm pretty sure I got the last one for free on the 3DS. Wasn't sure if it applied to everything though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@baller98 Glad they're highlighting The Touryst. It looks like it had a ton of work put into it, but I've heard nary a peep about it from anyone.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

The Touryst was good, but not great.

That’s all I can really say about it. I liked Fast Racing RMX more. I just feel like everything in the game was more shallow than it should have been. The monument puzzle dungeons are incredibly short. And the linearity of the game doesn’t offer much on the side. It seems like it does, but everything is skin deep. Raced the gyrocopter. Ok. Now what. Played the retro games, but you only get like 60 seconds to play the same segment over and over. And I’m not sure it would’ve been realistic to include a full retro FAST racing game, but that’s the kind of thing that makes games great and stick with you.

Edited on by JaxonH

Magician

So the past few days have been interesting. Rumors of the Bayonetta & Vanquish 4K Double Pack have resurfaced. Now the rumors have been updated to say, "4K / 720p". So will Switch owners be playing Vanquish soon?

This rumor first appeared back in 2017.

Naturally, I assume the original announcement was delayed until a Switch port of Vanquish was completed.
https://www.vg247.com/2017/09/11/european-retailers-list-bayo...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

On the one hand, it would be foolish to neglect Switch given the small, albeit loyal Platinum games following on the system.

On the other hand, it would be odd to sell Bayonetta packaged with Vanquish when it’s already sold solo and already bundled with Bayonetta 2.

And yet on the other hand (the third hand? Right) the game has already been developed on Switch, and the amount of work required would be drastically reduced.

In the end, I think it would be ignorant to skip Switch, yet somehow devs do it all the time, so who can say.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic