Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 43,381 to 43,400 of 70,067

JaxonH

You guys are desperately clinging to semantics... over what? Because someone called a game a remake? So what if you think it’s a remaster? Then call it a remaster. But I can’t help but get the feeling there’s an agenda behind doing this to knock the game down a peg. Because people seem to care way way, way too much about convincing people it’s the lowest rung on the ladder possible. A port? Gtfo. Overwatch is a port. This is something else.

The freaking game looks like it was designed ground up in the Xenoblade 2 engine, and could have been a sequel to Xenoblade 2 if we didn’t know any better. This was a Wii game, which was basically on par with a GameCube (which was same gen as a PS2). Go look at DMC and DMC2 to see what a remastered PS2 game looks like. If I can look at this PS2-grade game, and can’t tell that it’s not a brand new game, because it looks so close to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, with new models, new textures, new lighting, new content (Bionis left shoulder) I’m gonna call it a remake, and from the looks of it a lot of others are as well. Others are free to call it whatever they want.

Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

PSA: The Switch version of Overwatch comes with a 3 month NSO membership!

Edit: And it's only $40!!!! I was expecting a full $60.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

redd214

Personally disappointed by the direct. Honestly the only thing that was truly exciting was SNES games. Was already sold on Luigis Mansion, Pokémon, Animal Crossing etc. Ah well. I'm glad people are excited for some of the remakes. Downloading the Kirby game now to see how it is.

redd214

JaxonH

And let us not neglect the oft-requested Daemon X Machina post-changes demo!

And Assassins Creed 4 and Rogue. Again, not a huge AC fan, but I love the idea of having fully featured mainline entries on a hybrid portable gaming device. AC3 was cool, but ACIV Black Flag and Rogue? They’re hitting us with the classics now. So tired of my GPD Win 2 running like a toaster oven to play Assassins Creed IV. Heck even 2 felt like I was holding a furnace. I don’t know what it is about those games but they push that hardware super hard.

Seems Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is apparently still the same version we got on Wii U, which is a shame because I was really hoping they would re-localize the parts that were more censored. But, given it is an Atlus exclusive game, and it’s a Persona-style game that I like, and the fact they are adding new content, I’m not too upset. I think the dark cloud covering that boss’s cleavage looks goofy still though.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@Magician Whatever you want to call it aside, the game clearly has brand new models, textures, lighting, and content. Bionis' shoulder is in, meaning we probably have new story to go with it, along with new items, and armor parts. There could be plenty more content as well, or not, we don't know at this point. But it's not just HD textures. In fact, we haven't seen any gameplay, but it's entirely possible (and likely as this appears to be running on Xenoblade Chronicles 2/X engine instead of the XC1 one) the camera and many other things might have differences.

link3710

iKhan

JaxonH wrote:

You guys are desperately clinging to semantics... over what? Because someone called a game a remake? So what if you think it’s a remaster? Then call it a remaster.

@JaxonH

Because they imply very different things about a game's intrinsic value. A remake involves, to a significant degree, a reinterpretation of the original project with new technology. Notice how the Link's Awakening remake fills each scene up with loads more objects to make the world feel more alive? Stuff like that effectively gives a game the same place to me as a brand new game.

I don't have a ton of time to game, so I don't like to allocate money towards games from which mostly derive the same experience with what I already have. On the other hand, in the case of a remake, the reinterpretation of the game can offer a distinctly new feeling experience.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

AndyD

@JaxonH is there a full list of what was announced on the direct anywhere? Everything I am finding in the articles is all over the place. Unfortunately, I just need to know how many more games I need to add to my backlog...

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Grumblevolcano

@scubydo Main points:

• Xenoblade Chronicles getting a HD remaster/remake
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE being ported from Wii U
  • SNES games for NSO
  • Home Run contest in Smash, Terry Bogard in Smash, Sans having a Mii costume that's actually him (not a Mii wearing an outfit), more Smash DLC happening after the Fighters pass is over
  • Daemon X Machina gets another demo, this one allows you to transfer save data to the full game
  • Free to start Kirby game
  • Town launches in October
  • Bunch of 3rd party announcements like DOOM 64, Overwatch, AC Black Flag + Rogue collection, Jedi Knight II

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

@JaxonH Semantics? LOL. If you want to appear oafish by insisting that a remaster be labelled as a remake that's your perogative. I however would like save my follow forum members that embarrassment by making sure they use the proper nomenclature.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

MsJubilee

Can't believe they're going to sell Tokyo Mirrage for $60 and to top it all off, it's still censored!

You can go kick rocks Nintendo.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

JaxonH

@Magician
Ah, so the arm twisting has now progressed to insulting anyone who doesn’t buy what you’re selling.

I’d rather you just spare us your nomenclature lectures. Coming from someone who literally just called a game that has new models, new textures, new content and looks indistinguishable from Xenoblade 2 a “port“ I don’t trust anything coming out of your mouth right now. Knock yourself out calling it whatever you want, I don’t really care and I don’t think anyone else does either, just don’t twist everyone else’s arm to drink your Kool-Aid.

Edited on by JaxonH

Magician

MsJubilee wrote:

Can't believe they're going to sell Tokyo Mirrage for $60 and to top it all off, it's still censored! You can go kick rocks Nintendo.

Hmm, I'm late to the party with TMS #FE. How is it censored?

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

AndyD

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@scubydo Main points:

• SNES games for NSO
  • Home Run contest in Smash, Terry Bogard in Smash, Sans having a Mii costume that's actually him (not a Mii wearing an outfit), more Smash DLC happening after the Fighters pass is over
  • Daemon X Machina gets another demo, this one allows you to transfer save data to the full game
  • Bunch of 3rd party announcements like DOOM 64, Overwatch, AC Black Flag + Rogue collection, Jedi Knight II

Thanks, now I just need a much bigger Micro SD card to use for the download only games...not to mention all the updates and add-ons. I did Divinity 2 in there. A must have for me.

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog

redd214

My goodness guys let it go, it's really not that serious. Just call it a video game, how's that.

redd214

JaxonH

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@scubydo Main points:

• SNES games for NSO

Don’t forget Divinity Original Sin 2, with STEAM cross save, or the SNES controller for $30. And Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is coming in 2020 after Jedi Knight 2, Deadly Premonition, Deadly Premonition 2 (which is a really big deal, if you don’t know about the first, it’s a cult classic they got wildly varying review scores from 2/10 to 10/10). Also Devil May Cry 2. Oh and Rogue Company from Hi-Rez.

Edited on by JaxonH

AndyD

JaxonH wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@scubydo Main points:

• SNES games for NSO

Don’t forget Divinity Original Sin 2, with STEAM cross save, or the SNES controller for $30. And Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is coming in 2020 after Jedi Knight 2, Deadly Premonition, Deadly Premonition 2 (which is a really big deal, if you don’t know about the first, it’s a cult classic they got wildly varying review scores from 2/10 to 10/10). Also Devil May Cry 2.

AAHHH....I can't handle all these goodies!! May have to get two more SD cards...if I can find some cheap enough.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog

Magician

redd214 wrote:

My goodness guys let it go, it's really not that serious. Just call it a video game, how's that.

No worries. JaxonH and I are just having a spicy conversation. No malice, no ill will. Just a feisty discussion over inconsequentials.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic