Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 39,441 to 39,460 of 41,877

Arbor

I have a (potentially) very dumb question, so sorry... I only own two joy-cons, and my dad and I wanted to play smash together, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. I know how to add a player to your match, but I have tried completely shutting my switch down, then only turning on one joy-con and it won't let me open the game unless I've got both on, and then once in game it won't let me add one joycon that's already on as a second player. Do I need to buy another joy-con or am I just dumb????

edit: asked it here instead of the smash thread because I plan on buying Mario kart 8 deluxe soon and I was wondering if it works the same way.

Edited on by Arbor

Arbor

JaxonH

“Ya um, we don’t really understand DLC or how it works, so we decided to just make an entirely new game instead. And all the backers will be getting the sequel for free”

-Team Cherry with regard to Hollow Knight- Silksong

I swear, Team Cherry can do no wrong. I backed Hollow Knight waaaay back when it was pitched as a PC game with a Wii U stretch goal. Never thought it’d become what it is today

@Arbor
Hit home, go to controller settings, and reconnect the controllers where it asks you to press L+R to connect. Turn each one sideways and press the SL+SR to connect as 2 separate sideways controllers.

That works for any game.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising
X1: Trials Evolution
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR//Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

EvilLucario

@JaxonH To be fair Hollow Knight did get a ton of free DLC already :^]

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
Sure. Smaller DLC. But that was still their reasoning. They said they weren’t sure how old they should incorporate it.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Dragon’s Dogma, Mortal Kombat XI, Darksiders, Cuphead, Hellblade, Trials Rising

Jesus is Lord.

FragRed

@Octane Thanks for clarifying it for me. I knew Outer Worlds was still going to be multi-platform but I assumed it was due to Private Division already being contracted to be publisher of the game.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

Tsurii

"smaller DLC"
Uhh, sure. They basically doubled the amount of content with free updates. Those guys are damned heroes. They deserve all the success they got and then some 😛

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

JaxonH

For all the kickstarters where people got 0 game for their money, that people like to use as evidence to suggest you should never pledge, Hollow Knight gives us two games for our money! Incredible.

Man... Switch is really coming into its prime here. Come March, year 2 will wrap up and year 3 will begin. And what a year it’s going to be. I remember spending so much time in Mario Maker (I made some good levels, at least according to the people who played them- I think so too though). I can’t wait to jump in and craft a masterpiece.

We still have Yoshi’s Crafted World, Mario Maker 2, Zelda Links Awakening, Animal Crossing, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Bayonetta 3, Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Chocobo’s Dungeon, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Darksiders, Dragon’s Dogma, Assassin’s Creed 3 Collection, Trials Rising, Mortal Kombat XI, Sonic Team Racing, Crash Racing, Spyro (you know it to be true), Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice, DOOM Eternal, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Pillars of Eternity 2, Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment, GRID Autosport...

I’ve never seen a portable lineup like this before. I remember 3DS 2013 lineup being hailed as the greatest we’d ever seen with a new Fire Emblem, Luigi’s Mansion, Pokemon, 2D Zelda, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi, SMTIV and a port of DKC Returns. The first 5 boxes are all checked for Switch 2019, but the remaining 3 are grossly outshadowed by NSMBU Deluxe, Yoshi, Mario Maker 2, Daemon X Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Astral Chain, and Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy and misc. 3rd party games up the wazoo. It truly is a new era. And I imagine there’s still tons more unannounced. Pikmin 3 is 100% a lock. Wonderful 101 has to be coming- where there’s smoke, there’s fire, right? Metroid Prime Trilogy has to becoming. Darksiders 2 has to be coming. Kingdom Hearts Collections have to be coming (perhaps not 3, but the Collections at least). Monster Hunter of some kind has to be coming. Persona 5, surely they’re not going to let Smash’s 15 million strong (it’ll be at 15 by April, without question) advertisement go to waste... surely not. And it’s always nice knowing we have some games on the distant horizon to look forward to. Metroid Prime 4, Shin Megami Tensei 5.

But I always find myself wanting more, no matter how many great games come. If Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 come this year though, I don’t think I’ll be complaining if we don’t see Monster Hunter or Persona.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

FragRed

@JaxonH Not just Hollow Knight but look at Shovel Knight - that game is still getting add ons. But as always the scammers and the ones that fail for whatever reason to release, or do release and are terrible (Mighty No 9) is instantly regarded as the norm in most people's eyes.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

JaxonH

So, there’s been some speculation that Fire Emblem Three Houses might be a reimagining/retelling (or at least, has taken inspiration from) Romance of the Three Kingdoms, one of the great pieces of classical literature. The story is extremely complex and I’m not exactly familiar with the details, but basically a rebellion is fended off by 3 great dynasties coming together, but afterward they turn on each other.

Seems legit. Wouldn’t be the first time that storyline has been explored (see Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series by Tecmo Koei).

If true, that would explain the conflict that Nintendo hasn’t yet shared with us

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH That's good to hear. I've definitely decided I'm giving DQ another shot finally, I don't think I've played since... IV and V for the original DS? It's good to hear this one shakes things up though.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
I suppose using BotW as a comparison is perhaps a bit of a leap because it changed the formula top down, whereas at its core, DQXI is still Dragon Quest. I don’t want to persuade you to buy a game that you ultimately don’t like. And if you really don’t like Dragon Quest in general, I don’t know if this one’s going to change your mind. But if it’s just one particular entry you weren’t fond of, then I absolutely think you should give this game a shot. The fact it’s much more modern, at least for me, is a huge selling point. Older games, despite being good, can be too rigid for modern enjoyment, at least imo. I’m having a hard time getting into Final Fantasy VII and IX for that very reason. But FFX? I love that game. Sometimes I feel like there’s a certain threshold of modernity a game must reach before I can truly enjoy it. DQXI really helps bring an enjoyable franchise into the modern era, while still retaining it’s core formula and identity.

But I do think it’s an apt comparison inasmuch as the horse racing, the cards, the beautiful graphics, the larger world (even if it’s not truly open world), etc.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH Yeah, as I said, I've only played a pair of the older ones, and the second one not even that much. Considering JRPGs are usually my bread and butter (FF, Xeno, Baten Kaitos, Chrono, Earthbound, Radiant Historia etc), I'd like to think DQ XI stands a good chance at winning me over.

link3710

EvilLucario

Yeah I'd probably get DQXI on Switch over PC.

Poor PS4 version though, that's probably going to be the worst version of the game lol.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

Ya, said it from the start... best to hold off. Even if it didn’t have the 16-bit mode, orchestral soundtrack, dual audio or exclusive content, just getting 2 versions in 1 (basically the PS4 version for console and a way better version than 3DS for handheld) was enough to make it worthwhile on Switch. But all that other stuff just seals the deal even more (especially the soundtrack and 16-bit mode).

@link3710
Radiant Historia. I’ll raise a cup to that one (well, to all of them, but very rarely do I speak to someone who even knows what that game is- it was the last 3DS game I played in fact).

1 Terabyte Micro SD cards incoming

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH Oh? You played the 3DS version? Was it worth getting it again? I mean, as much as I love the game, I couldn't see why I'd buy a second version for my 3DS when the DS version is perfectly playable still.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Ya, I’d say stick with the DS version. I had it on DS, but had never played it, so I wanted the upgrade. Looks nice on 3DS though.

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

The Switch news section has a reminder for Europe players that gold point redemption is nearing expiration for launch window games (you can register for up to 2 years).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Roamer

Grumblevolcano wrote:

The Switch news section has a reminder for Europe players that gold point redemption is nearing expiration for launch window games (you can register for up to 2 years).

Thanks for the heads up. I just redeemed 60 points for Zelda. I somehow missed it until now! Not to mention all my later purchases. I’ve not redeemed any previously!

Edited on by Roamer

No pasaran.
PS4: Boundless, No Man’s Sky, Hitman 2
Switch: Dragon Quest Builders, Portal Knights, Wargroove
PC: Banished

toiletduck

JaxonH wrote:

@Ralizah
I would be thrilled if it became the best selling version in the west. But that’s what worries me. It just seems like nobody cares, at all. Dragon Quest seems much more aligned with Xenoblade or Final Fantasy than YS VIII. I expected to at least see as much interest as Xenoblade or Fire Emblem. Kind of a “1-2 million seller”.

That's exactly what's worrying me. I really couldn't get into Xenoblade, so people comparing this game to that kinda takes away my hype. I'll give it an honest chance once it arrives though.

Part of the problem is that I still own XC2. I should probably sell that, because as long as it's on my shelf I have the feeling I should finish that before starting another (J)RPG, which probably won't happen.

toiletduck

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic