Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 38,601 to 38,620 of 70,011

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Oh yeah, I do not care for achievements in almost every game. They're just padding or useless things.

@subpopz For me it's half-and-half. I did not really enjoy my time with The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn, because Geralt controlled like **** and the combat in both games were also doo-doo. But Doom 2016, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls all look fabulous AND also play beautifully too. Doom 2016 in particular is one of the only FPS games that I can absolutely adore.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@EvilLucario I've enjoyed a number of first-person shooters (Wolfenstein: The New Order; the Bioshock trilogy; Far Cry 4; etc.), but DOOM 2016 is the only one I'd almost unreservedly call a masterpiece. It's pure, unbridled gameplay-centric bliss. A perfect mix of high-octane action, great pacing, kinetic moving and platforming, amazing visuals, and a throbbing score that perfectly accentuates the on-screen action.

Re: achievements... I'm very mixed on the things. Like, I can totally get hung up on the idea of collecting all the achievements for a game (PS trophies, actually; I couldn't care less about Steam or Xbox achievements, for whatever reason). But it got to the point where I was almost choosing to play the Playstation version of a game purely for the trophy support, even when I knew I'd enjoy another version more. I ALMOST forewent portable Valkyria 4 because of the lack of trophy support, even though, when playing Valkyria 1, all I could think about was how cool it would be to have a fully portable version of the game. And portable Valkyria 4 was every bit as cool and convenient as I was hoping it'd be. But a little voice in the back of my mind kept saying: "All this work is pointless on Switch; you can't get a platinum trophy." Which is absurd, of course, because playing the game is its own reward, and people shouldn't need a meaningless digital trinket for completing a game to feel like a worthy task. That, combined with my observation that many younger gamers even question the value of playing older games due to the lack of trophy support, led me to disable trophy notifications on my PS4/Vita.

On the other hand, I do think they provide an interesting incentive to play further into a game than you might otherwise. I also think it's cool to have a permanent mark on your account for going above and beyond to really complete a game. For those reasons, I do still wish Nintendo had an achievement system of sorts. I'd be partial to unlockable stickers or badges of varying rarity that you can attach to your dashboard.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@subpopz I think people are pretty harsh when they say the gameplay is awful. I agree that the story is what shines, but the combat is perfectly fine, especially on higher difficulties. If it was called Dark Souls people would be all over it

Octane

Ralizah

In a dark corner of the forum, @Octane 's ears perk at the mention of his lord and master. 'These uncultured miscreants dare to blaspheme His Good Name,' he thinks to himself, as he recites his vows and feverishly rubs his prayer beads together. 'This cannot stand. We shall educate them in the way of CD Projekt Red's tender mercies.' Producing a well-oiled dagger from within his cloak, he steals into the darkness of the forum, preparing for the gruesome task that lay before him.

Edited on by Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Man, tabletop gaming is so different from what I knew.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

HobbitGamer

Am I the only one that truly doesn’t class games as indie or AAA anymore? Like, I just think if I like it or not.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah, that's me; 10/10 description!

@subpopz I love me some good wonk & jank; Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Sunshine, The Last Guardian, etc.

I get what you're saying though. It doesn't really mind me personally.

Octane

NintendoByNature

@ReaderRagfish I think those are triple A. At least I think so. Aside from snowboard kids 😉, what type of games/ genre do you like?

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

The AAA game I'm most looking forward to this year is Halo Reach.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Anyone else playing Darksiders? The game looks fantastic and runs phenomenally on Switch. I especially appreciate the performance mode and high-quality mode options.

Unfortunately, I feel like I’m becoming one of those gamers that can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. I started playing in high-quality mode and it looked so freaking good, and ran without a single hiccup. It was pure bliss and all was right in the world. Then I tried the performance mode, and realized how smooth everything was when the camera was turning. It felt so fluid that I didn’t want to change the mode back...

What’s happening to me? Seriously, what’s wrong with me... I don’t want to be one of those gamers that can’t enjoy 30fps, but for the first time in my life I found myself not wanting to play a game in the quality mode. This is going to ruin games for me and I don’t want games to be ruined. Why has this never bothered me before and then all of a sudden now it feels like this huge difference? It’s not like I haven’t played games at both frame rates many times before.

In any case, Darksiders on the handheld screen is just as excellent as you would imagine. It’s still stunning to see games like this running on a little handheld. I propped that sucker up in tabletop mode and slid my joy con into a grip and starting gaming out in my office today, brought my coworker in to show him the game and now he wants to buy it. Now I can’t wait for Darksiders 2 to come. Bring it on

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@ReaderRagfish yea i understand. For me I'm for sure getting Mario maker, astral chain, zelda, Luigis mansion and maybe some other ones depending on how e3 goes. Maybe resident evil origins collection if it gets a discount. Honestly it's a great year for me and games to play on switch. Pokemon fire emblem and animal crossing dont really do it for me though

NintendoByNature

Anti-Matter

For me, Dragon Quest Builders 2 with All DLCs is already AAA quality for me.
It's exceeding my expectations, so i give score 95/100 so far.
The Sims 4, watch out.....

Anti-Matter

link3710

@EvilLucario I loved XC2's combat... the moment Roc joined the team. Prior to that I did not get it at all. As soon as Vandham showed up I went back and completed all the sidequests I could, cause I was avoiding them up to that point. He was a well established member of my party by the time I actually got to the Olthero Playhouse.

link3710

Ralizah

I've historically detested the combat in Xenoblade games. XC1 has tedious position-based combat with an unwieldy arts bar you had to awkwardly manage. XCX made it much worse with a complex combat system that requires you to use skills at a specific time (so-called soul voices) to have a chance at healing. It was also a chore trying to recover your TP for future battles. Also, the stupid arts bar is still present.

XC2's combat is probably the most approachable and manageable system in the entire series. Healing skills are pretty common and reliable. The large variety of blades gives every character plenty of build variety. There's an interesting elemental combo system that you can use to create destructible orbs around stronger enemies for devastating chain attacks. Best of all, though, arts were tied to button presses, allowing for much smoother skill activation. I like the Paper Mario-esque timed button presses for increased damage in battles, too. Combat is still way less intuitive than I'd like, but it didn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game like it did in XCX.

JaxonH

Check out this trailer for Team Sonic Racing. The game is looking slick. It’s apparent they went full “cart racer” for this entry, probably in hopes of chasing higher sales. And that is somewhat regrettable given we have multiple cart racers (Mario Kart, Crash Nitro Racing, Team Sonic Racing) and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed brought a different spin to the genre which I’d have preferred to see return, but I’d be lying if I said this game didn’t look spectacular.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

For fans of handheld gaming, such as Nintendo Switch and GPD Win 2, there is a new player entering the fray

The Smach Z

It’s basically a STEAM Boy. It’s quite literally a Steam controller with a 1080p screen, gyro, 3x the battery of Switch, more powerful than GPD WIN 2 even, and a killer attitude.

I’ll just drop this here for anyone curious

https://www.smachz.com

Edited on by JaxonH

Metal_Gear_Mark

AlohaPizzaJack wrote:

Am I the only one that truly doesn’t class games as indie or AAA anymore? Like, I just think if I like it or not.

I would like this to be true, however, most AAA games are now just lootbox hells, not all, but most.

"A STRONG MAN DOESN’T NEED TO READ THE FUTURE. HE MAKES HIS OWN." - Solid Snake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic