Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,681 to 35,700 of 38,949

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter xii... In done ways the most similar game design is monster Hunter. It's not numbered zones, but it's a large open area separated into zones because of the hardware of the time.

@FaeKnight yeah, but that basically sounds like Skyrim with your friends (the x with your friends descriptor is what Bethesda uses to describe 76, not teso, i just adapted it)

NEStalgia

ReaderRagfihs

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love for MMOs here. Though to be honest the only one I've played is Phantasy Star Online (which I still play).

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread

Nemodius

I think one of the reasons why I like Skyrim as an open world game is that it is so relaxed, I'm not pushed into doing the main stories, I was able to go one an assload of side quests and set up my character with minimal hindrance because I'm not following how the main story line wants me to go, other open world games (even Zelda) still limit you to having to progress some before you can explore more and grinding actually requires strategy, you can't just usually grind one thing to death and max out everything, I like that they set up your character level system by forcing you to actually progress in your skills

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

FaeKnight

The big difference is in how an MMO does it's story telling. In a game like Fallout the actions of a player can change the world around them. If you decide to kill all the npcs in a town, go for it. But they're going to stay dead. When you finish a quest line the events of the quest line persist and have tangible consequences. When playing Skyrim if a vampire kills the blacksmith in Whiterun, the blacksmith stays dead for the rest of the game.

With an MMO that's not possible. So you killed the boss and saved the town from burning to the ground. In maybe 10 minutes the town's going to be on fire and the boss will be stomping around again. Unique enemies respawn constantly because the quest has to be able to be completed by everyone, not just the first person to accept the quest. This means that the quest lines and events for low level players and the start of the overarching story-line (if the game has one) are taking place at the exact same time as the high level quests and events towards the (current) end of the story-line. And no matter how many times these events are done, they are never considered "finished" outside of a few lines of text a given player likely skipped over.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish I play RuneScape and I just restarted my Old School RuneScape account while I play other games too. So I play MMOs (and my YouTube channel used to be built around RS) personally, but MMOs are dying for good reasons.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FaeKnight

@EvilLucario Not dying so much as changing with the times. Heck, one of them is coming to Switch. That's Warframe, by the way.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

EvilLucario

@FaeKnight I was more thinking of traditional MMORPGs like WoW and RuneScape, but yeah that's pretty true. Although in that vein you could probably say that every big online game is an MMO.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

RR529

Just watched the credits roll in Dragon Quest Builders. Didn't like it as much as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Ys VIII, but it was still a pretty good time.

Though after playing Okami HD, Shining Resonance Refrain, & DQB back to back to back, I think I'm going to take a much deserved break from adventure/RPG games. Thinking about Dragon Ball FighterZ or SNK Heroines next.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Grumblevolcano

Finished Bayonetta 2, the bonus chapters are too difficult but I've beaten the main game and overall I really enjoyed it. Better than the first game and both games have elevated Bayonetta 3 to a likely day 1 purchase rather than buy day 1 only if there's not much surrounding it.

As for my top 10 Switch year 1 list posted earlier, when considering the full game Mario + Rabbids and Bayonetta 2 swap places so 6th for Bayonetta 2 and 7th for Mario + Rabbids.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

Huh, looked up your top tens, kinda interesting. Mine would be similar but a bit different.

Year 1:
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Splatoon 2
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battles
6. Mario Kart 8 DX
7. Bayonetta
8. Doom
9. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
10. Steamworld Dig 2

Year 2 (So Far)
1. Hollow Knight
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3. Starlink: Battle for Atlas
4. Mario Tennis Aces
5. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
6. Octopath Traveler
7. Okami HD
8. The World Ends With You: Final Remix
9. Undertale
10. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

I expect Megaman 11, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Smash to join once I get to play them, maybe Banner Saga trilogy, Dragonball FighterZ, Ys VIII and Pillars of Eternity II.

link3710

Cobalt

@Grumblevolcano it's not too difficult if you know your combos.
Bayonetta 1 and 2 offer a challenge that pushes you to become better and better each time you play.

Out of curiosity, you played 1st, 2nd or 3rd climax ?
I played all of them and I ranked "platinum" everywhere... ^^
Untitled

I plan to try the infinite climax next year but I think I'm not good enough to rank "platinum" in this mode...

Cobalt

scubydo

Hey guys, so for those with only digital, how are you managing the space? I have a 250+GB card added, and I am almost down to 50GB already, and no where close to getting all the games I would like. I did realize there was a neat "archive" feature though for games that I have completed. Just wondering what others were doing to help remedy the space issue.

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!
New Switch ID: SW-3806-8055-1317

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Grumblevolcano

@Cobalt Lol no, Normal but the Lost Chapter has its own difficulty settings unaffected by the difficulty picked so it's not really surprising. It's nice that PlatinumGames gives lots of difficulty options in their games though, Wonderful 101 is no different for example.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FaeKnight

scubydo wrote:

Hey guys, so for those with only digital, how are you managing the space? I have a 250+GB card added, and I am almost down to 50GB already, and no where close to getting all the games I would like. I did realize there was a neat "archive" feature though for games that I have completed. Just wondering what others were doing to help remedy the space issue.

I started buying more games physically. Would have gotten Starlink physically, but by getting that digitally I don't have to worry about the physical toys.

FaeKnight

JackEatsSparrows

@scubydo Yeah, I use archive on anything I haven’t played in 2 months. I only have a 4Gb card from an old DS.

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

IceClimbers

Yeah I was going to go all digital outside of Zelda and any games I get as gifts, but with those file sizes I'm starting to buy a few more physically. I'm still far more digital than I was with Wii U or 3DS though

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Delibheel

@FaeKnight the original 3DS came with a 2GB card.

Models after that come with a 4GB one.

Edited on by Delibheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@FaeKnight yeah that's the thing with mmos. You don't really make progress, you don't really feel like your accomplish anything. The whole thing feels like a carnival or Renaissance fair or something with little roped of areas with the same show every hour. The world isn't in danger, is justa theme park attraction. Next show at 3:15.

Destiny does it well as a quasi mmo. The mmo hubs and then normal single player missions with scripted levels making the bulk of the game. 76 terrifies me. As does anthem.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer please tell me you forgot the zeroes behind that. You couldn't even fit splatoon 2s patches on that!

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic