Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,681 to 35,700 of 37,057

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Laptops ditch them. Entertainment PCs keep them. Productivity PCs still often use various discs at times. But external USB DVD drives kind of replaced the need for a 5.25 hardmount. Once upon a time USB slowed them down. Not that long ago really.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I said outdated, not irrelevant. It's most relevant with movies. I rarely see discs used for almost anything regarding PC any more, though. Everything is digitally distributed, and most of the big software companies have transitioned to service-based models. And discs on modern gen consoles are little more than installation media. That can definitely be convenient for people without access to high-speed internet, or who have data caps, but it doesn't change the fact that the medium has long outgrown the limitations of optical media, and it'll only hold on as long as it remains a cheap options for distributing games at retail.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Octane Yeah, PS store says 89.2, X1 stores says 88.57 (Oddly specific?) and Rockstar says 107 XBox and 99 on PS4.

I'm almost going to bet Rockstar is wrong. They know the size they submitted to the store, but they don't know what if any compression and all the specific stores might be applying. The stores should know their own in-archive size. Either that or they're including a Day1 patch that's not, as of yet, uploaded to the stores.

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

They're obviously getting everyone's bodies ready for some sweet, sweet day one downloads.

HobbitGamer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer I already paid for it. Can I just get my day one download now? I know RDRII is "ZOMG ZOMG!!1!! GOTY! GOAT!! Best thing ever to revolutionize gaming will never be the same aaAAAaaAAA!" But I still don't comprehend how everyone deals with 2k's bloated obnoxious garbage. I can't help but think prepping to push 110GB to probably half of all XBox owners all in one week is the reason XBL store/purchase/licensing has been down 3 times in 2 weeks. I wonder if PSN is just going to crash hard under the last minute load? At least they were kind enough to put physical on two discs. Unfortunately it sounds like it still will have a 25GB day one patch on top of that.

maybe the 107 isn't the actual storage but how much is needed to complete install?

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia When I see RDR2, I see a fairly generic open world game. I don't get it

Octane

HobbitGamer

@Octane I see New Vegas without Deathclaws, Cazadores, Super Mutants. So basically, a harmless desert.

HobbitGamer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Grumblevolcano

If I wanted yet another open world game, I'd get Skyrim. BotW was enough of an open world burn out (I'd rather see Let's Go be Pokemon's future than BotW at this point in time).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

Pokemon should go for Xenoblade 1 or 2-like worlds anyway. Linear progression, but big expansive levels to come back to after you passed them by. Not true open world, but a nice mix of the two.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Octane

@Tsurii Well, in terms of setting. I take fantasy over a realistic setting any day! I'd be surprised if RDR2 lives up to the narrative and quests in TW3. I do intent to play it, so we shall see.

Octane

Anti-Matter

EvilLucario wrote:

Pokemon should go for Xenoblade 1 or 2-like worlds anyway. Linear progression, but big expansive levels to come back to after you passed them by. Not true open world, but a nice mix of the two.

Try like this.
Pokemon + Minecraft + Xenoblade + Animal Crossing = Pokemon World Builders

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

JaxonH

I think RDR2 looks great, tbh. One of the few games on other platforms to actually really catch my interest. Unfortunately it's going to be too demanding for the Win 2 handheld, and that really limits its appeal for me because it means I would only be able to play it on the TV. And I already know how that's going to go. Play for a few days, and then the weekend comes, and bring Switch to work, play Monster Hunter Gen Ultimate and Starlink and Dark Souls and Valkyria Chronicles... get sidetracked, come home, and keep playing all those games I'm really in to, sending the TV-bound game to the backlog pile.

But, I'm gonna try to make time for it. I made time for MH World after all. Speaking of which, in hindsight, it was only half as enjoyable as MHGU is. Despite all the great things it did like graphics and open maps, once you got beneath skin deep it really fell short in comparison... I didn't realize how much more I like MHGU until putting 100 hours into the localized version, which has far far far more quality of life improvement than it's given credit for, some of which isn't even in World- from disabling traps to cut tails showing on the map, holding A to carve/gather, speed crafting, transmog, field pouch, skipping meal and death animations, playing as a felyne, not waiting 2 minutes to turn in a paw pass ticket, sending items back mid hunt, styles, arts (some of which are identical to items in World like the health booster), not to mention all the free DLC quests and item packs, which basically removed all tedium from the game, which is great because the one big fault of MHGU is a slow early game. But once you get past the early game, oh my goodness. The later part of the game is just phenomenal. A month ago I was telling people World was better, and now I've done a complete 180. And, I went back and fired up MH3U on Wii U to show my bro, and I couldn't believe how inferior the graphics looked compared to MHGU, and how slow the controls felt and how bad the framerate was. In my mind's eye it looked just as good as MHGU on Switch, and played just as good. But after going back and playing an arena quest in 3 Ultimate, I've realized it's ancient in comparison to MHGU. Night and day, with differences that actually matter and are hard to re-adjust to. Like, the formula hadn't been perfected yet. In MHGU, it may not be on a power console and may have separate areas, but the gameplay is just immaculate. Absolutely spot on.

But I'm getting off on a tangent. Anytime I say the word "Monster Hunter" just be prepared for a good paragraph and a half of rambling.

RDR2 looks great. I'm just not sure I'm going to stick with it. Too many great games on Switch to play.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

gcunit

JaxonH wrote:

But I'm getting off on a tangent. Anytime I say the word "Monster Hunter" just be prepared for a good paragraph and a half of rambling.

Tbh, whenever I see 'Jaxon' and 'Monster Hunter' on the same page I just write the whole page off and jump straight to the next one

On RDR2, I've avoided everything about it because my primary objective for getting a PS3 a couple of years ago was to play RDR1 and am yet to finish it, or even get 50% in, so I know nothing of how RDR2 is looking, but as much as anything I imagine the hype is just because it's Rockstar's next game after GTA5, so the industry is obliged to hype it because what's bigger than the next Rockstar's game currently? Nothing else comes close.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

rallydefault

@Ralizah
If you build your own PCs, you know having a disc drive is still VERY valuable.

If you just buy your PC from a big box store and hit the ground running, then yea, they appear useless.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

subpopz

JaxonH wrote:

I think RDR2 looks great, tbh. One of the few games on other platforms to actually really catch my interest. Unfortunately it's going to be too demanding for the Win 2 handheld, and that really limits its appeal for me because it means I would only be able to play it on the TV.

Last I knew it wasn't announced nor confirmed for PC? Has this changed?

Switch - Torna: The Golden Country, Sonic Mania, Paladins, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - Nier: Automata, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Nemodius

FaeKnight wrote:

The yeti cheeseburger rice-a-roni pickle dove mocha.

with a dash of nutmeg !!!

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic