Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,681 to 35,700 of 40,976

Therad

ReaderRagfish wrote:

In my book, the only real advantage that (modern, non Nintendo) consoles have over PCs is that you don't have to worry about system requirements.

I've had games that my PC was strong enough to run and ran perfectly for a few weeks and suddenly started running at about 5 FPS and I never found out why or how to solve it. But if you buy a Xbox game, that game was specifically catered towards that system and if there are any problems, you can be sure it's the game's fault.

But the fixedness of a console can also be a problem. If you find a part in a game that is choppy, you are at the mercy of the game maker to fix it on the console. On the PC you can downgrade the res or details to gain more frames.

Personally I think PC is the superior platform for a lot of reasons. Except for exclusives, consoles don't have any real advantage.

Therad

Sadist

Yup, sign me up for console gaming too because of first party exclusives. You can see the platform holders investing a lot of money in first party development and its becoming more important to them the last couple of years.

Nintendo has been cultivating their series and mostly been pretty careful with them for thirty years. While several years ago this was seen as a weakness (We can’t compete with Nintendo games! is the easy way out) and Sony/MS really pushed their third party partners. For the past few years though, they seem to be pushing their first party content far more, to great succes. Its only logical: third parties release on multiple systems and they’re not interested in platform specific deals apart from those silly “play DLC maps/story content etc. thirty days earlier” deals.

Ever since the PS3 Sony has been building a steady stream of games and I think it finally paid off on PS4. Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man are roaring success stories. Hope they can keep it up.

MS finally saw the light as well, seeing all their studio purchases as of late. They really need the diversity and steady stream of exclusives to actually make a dent on a world wide level. I know the system performs well in North America, but in Europe shelfspace for the system is dwindeling and its losing it to Switch.

Sadist

JaxonH

@subpopz
That's not blowing anything out of proportion. These are problems that I run into all the time on PC.

Play Wolfenstein 2 on GPD Win 2, doesn't display properly. Have to Alt-Tab and click the taskbar icon again and suddenly it fixes itself and it does this every single time it goes into a cut scene.

Play Final Fantasy on PC (can't remember which one) and fullscreen won't work. Just displays black screen. Have to run windowed mode and it won't do borderless.

Play MH World on PC, it crashes constantly.

Play one of Valve's games (I think, maybe it was a Bethesda game), and it won't run because the .dll file was missing- had to spend three hours searching the Internet and reading help forums to try to find the right DLL file to download to fix the issue.

Move Dragon Age to the D drive from Steam's move install location feature. Game won't run, despite every other game running fine from that drive. Some file it has to look for in the C drive isn't there, so I had to move the entire game back.

Play Dragon Age Origins, or Assassins Creed 2, and only partial controller support. Assassins creed the controller works but all the commands are still in keyboard letters, and DA it doesn't work at all if it weren't for Steam automapping. Which I was able to come up with a control scheme that worked but it was just a pain in the butt and it's still not as good.

I've never seen people try to downplay these very real issues more than on this forum. I could list an entire 3 pages full of crap I've had to deal with on PC as a platform.

When it's working, it's working. But I guarantee you if I tallied up all the time I've spent having to fix problems that don't exist on consoles, I would probably hit over 50 hours.

That's not even getting into all the resolution incompatibilities from hooking it up to a 4K TV. Which, if you are truly going to argue it's a good substitute for consoles then you have to include hooking it up to a 4K TV and not some monitor. And if you want proper resolution, everything is super tiny where you have to get up out of your chair and get within 3 feet of the screen to be able to read the context menu because it's still displaying the same size it would display on a 24 inch monitor. Having to run certain games in compatibility mode for XP or 7, having to check that DPI scaling box for certain games to display right... it's fine if you like PC, but let's not pretend these issues are being over exaggerated because, they are not. They're all issues I have personally dealt with multiple times for multiple games. And I'm quite sure that if you got a certain type of set up on a desk with a monitor and a mouse and keyboard, you might not have nearly as many problems. But when you start talking about using a controller, you're introducing more problems because not every game has controller support. When you talk about hooking it up to a 4K TV you're introducing even more problems because most games have issues displaying properly without some kind of workaround or fix or setting applied. And then depending on what kind of drivers you have and what kind of graphics card you have, you're going to have display issues and crashes and God knows what else.

No, it's not being over-exaggerated. I was excited when I got my gaming PC. But there's a reason I stopped using it in favor of the Xbox One X. I still use it, and it's fantastic for certain games that don't have issues, but you don't find out which games do and don't until you actually run into the issue.

A lot of the time PC does work and I'm not saying this stuff happens every single time you turn it on. But it does happen. And everything I've talked about has personally happened to me on more than one occasion. And even one single issue can cost you a ton of headache if you can't get it fixed, or takes hours of research and trial and error to fix. I think I have most of my games in my Steam library fixed up now to where they run properly (Aside from Final Fantasy in windowed mode and Wolfenstein with the Alt-Tab display fix every time a cut scene loads, which can happen multiple times through one long series of cut scenes, and Wolf New Order running 10fps on my 4K desktop hooked up to my PC despite running flawlessly on the GPD Win 2 handheld). But I spent dozens of hours getting those fixes in place and doing the research needed to implement them.

So yeah, once you get it all fixed up it works pretty nicely. But for every dozen games I add to my library, I usually have issues with one or two of them, in some way, shape or form. It will always be superior in terms of user control, range of capabilities, etc. and for the people who value that it's probably an incredible platform. But it comes at a very steep cost (a cost that some don't mind much, like tinkerers, but that some mind very much, like those who want plug and play) that a lot of people like to brush under the rug and pretend doesn't exist, or that the issues are just over exaggerated

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Darksiders, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, LABO VR, Chocobo’s Dungeon, Trials Rising
X1: Far Cry New Dawn, Trials Fusion
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

DarthNocturnal

A Valve game missing an important file? Wha? That's new... I'm guessing that verifying the install did nothing?

EDIT: Bethesda, I can believe.

All I can say is that I feel lucky. I've had a few issues, but most were solved with a quick settings change or install verification. Some issues persist (Sonic PC ports sometimes have snags with their separate configuration menu, for example. And cutscenes in Company of Heroes run at 30 FPS or lower, which is kinda weird), but none are big enough to make me never want to play on PC again.

I do play mostly on XB1 nowadays, but that's just where my friends are most of the time.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

rallydefault

Therad wrote:

ReaderRagfish wrote:

In my book, the only real advantage that (modern, non Nintendo) consoles have over PCs is that you don't have to worry about system requirements.

I've had games that my PC was strong enough to run and ran perfectly for a few weeks and suddenly started running at about 5 FPS and I never found out why or how to solve it. But if you buy a Xbox game, that game was specifically catered towards that system and if there are any problems, you can be sure it's the game's fault.

But the fixedness of a console can also be a problem. If you find a part in a game that is choppy, you are at the mercy of the game maker to fix it on the console. On the PC you can downgrade the res or details to gain more frames.

Personally I think PC is the superior platform for a lot of reasons. Except for exclusives, consoles don't have any real advantage.

The advantage comes in the form factor and the way you must play. Honestly, I'd 1,000% rather kick back on my couch to game for a few hours rather than sit upright at my PC (or hunch, more accurately, especially after an hour or so). Gaming at my PC keeps my body tense, which I guess is nice if I'm putting in 30 minutes of a twitch shooter or something, but not nice if I just want to wander around an adventure game for a couple hours.

Also it depends on people's homes. Some people have their PC set up in a "man cave" or otherwise nice spot - my PC is in the corner of my living room and forces me to have my back to family while I'm using it. Most people have consoles/TV set up in more central, inviting locations in their houses (hence "couch co-op" term, I guess) where everyone can watch/participate.

rallydefault

JaxonH

For some reason I thought it was Portal 2 or Half Life 2, but now that I think about it it wasn't a valve game that was missing the DLL, to be perfectly honest I don't think it was a Bethesda game either now that I think about it.

The Valve game I was having issues with was a black screen. Every time I would launch the game it will go into a black screen. Goodness knows I've had enough problems with Bethesda games, what with the display errors for Wolfenstein and running 10fps on a PC 5x more powerful than a handheld PC that runs it fine, but I don't think missing a DLL was one of the issues.

I can't remember what game that was for but I do remember searching all over the Internet for it. Everybody seemed to have a fix that they claimed would work, and then I would try it and it wouldn't work. Turned out there was some .dll file that someone uploaded via torrent, and once I downloaded it and placed it in the correct directory, suddenly the game started working! That's always a good feeling though, when you get a game working. Not a good feeling trying to get to that point though.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy X, Darksiders, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, LABO VR, Chocobo’s Dungeon, Trials Rising

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

PC Gaming Wiki has helped me out with a few issues. The most awkward game I've dealt with was Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Being over a decade old never helps, but yeesh. I heard the GoG version updates might've improved some things though.

Ryu_Niiyama

I swear it is always weird hearing people having issues with gaming on PC. I can understand arguments about cost but .dll issues and 90 percent of the stuff I've seen Jaxon and NES describe I'm like...what kind of cursed rig are you using? For me I would say the barrier is cost if I wasn't already a PC gamer, after all I have the most flexibility with controllers, mods and graphics. However like now where I make WAY less money than I used to (took a job offer that I really, really should not have) I can't update my rig on a whim, but even then I was never a GPU a year gal.

Also GOG is a wonder of wonders.

On the switch side I am looking out for the Bushiden kick starter. Looks like what I had hoped Shinobi 3ds would look like...

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ReaderRagfish

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

but .dll issues and 90 percent of the stuff I've seen Jaxon and NES describe I'm like...what kind of cursed rig are you using?

Maybe I'm cursed as well. Pretty much every PC I've ever owned occasionally runs into issues running certain games and I have to do some weird black magic to make them run properly. It's not a frequent problem, but it happens enough to make me say "This is irritating, I wouldn't have to be doing this if I was on console."

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Galarian_Lassie

What happened to the Melton soapbox? I was just about to read it.

Where am I going! Nowhere, unless if I say otherwise!

bluemage1989

@rallydefault comgratulations pal take it from me in a few years your going to have the immense enjoyment of introducing them to Nintendo gaming and sharing some good times. Enjoy.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

ReaderRagfish

@Mrtoad Probably got taken down because it made no sense.

"You have to pay $350 just to catch one Pokemon! That's extortion!"

But as the comments pointed out, that's not the only way to get it, that's not all you get for $350, and Pokemon has always been this way with trading between versions.

Edit: Oh wait, it's still up, it just isn't on the front page. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/soapbox_its_not_cool...

Edited on by ReaderRagfish

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Ryu_Niiyama

@ReaderRagfish I guess I got lucky then... or something. I'm not PC master race but I did put about 2500 into my original rig (built it for school and not gaming actually and I later delegated it to the gaming rig...the original parts are in my "work only" computer now actually) but yeah the only issues I've ever had were optimization issues/bugs that are baked into the release. Like FO3 CTD on occasion (I've not found a 100 percent fix for that) but I will admit that I usually wait a bit when pc games come out and look for the bug fix communities and then load that. I'd say about 5 GB of my Skyrim install in bug fixes (the rest is texture updates because bethesda makes mud for textures. Skyrim should not look as horrible as it does.) I wasn't ragging on anybody but it is litteraly sureal to me when I hear the horror stories...except NES...that dude is cursed for real. I think he cut Bill Gates off in traffic at some point in his life.

Honestly I have way more issues with console...which is funny because if you pressed me I'd say I consider myself a console gamer but at this point I do play most multiplats on PC to avoid the headache. If AC:Sparta crashes on me one more time I'm gonna throw the xbox out a window. I think I spend 35 percent of my play time cussing at the xbox...and I detest vulgar language so I don't drop it every other word like it is socially acceptable to do now.

Thank goodness for Nintendo. They build tanks. I can literally count on two hands the number of issues I have had with Nintendo hardware over the past 30 years of gaming.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

OG XB1 has been a headache for awhile now. I know the solution is to upgrade to the XB1S or XB1X but I'm not falling for that trap because Scarlett in 2019 is possible, 2020 at the latest.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarthNocturnal

My OG XB1 seems fine...

JaxonH

I hated gaming on Xbox to the point I just gave up on it, because everything was so laggy in the OS. Tabbing down to the next row would always have a half second delay, and panning through your game list, it would never have more than 20 or 30 game images loaded at a time, so as you panned through them you had to wait 5-8 seconds for the images to populate... it was a ridiculously long wait sometimes, that you had to repeat over and over again every time you panned down or up.

And this was on Xbox One X.

So I just quit using it altogether. Update after update they revised the OS and sometimes they made it a little better, but it always had that issue. Finally, turned my X1X on this morning to check out Red Dead 2, and there was a 3.6gb system update waiting for me (and a 90gb 2 disc game install after that, yay).

And wow... to my surprise, the OS is finally fixed! It's instantly responsive like Switch is. All the game icons are loaded no matter how fast I pan down the list. It finally feels great to use. Or at least, doesn't frustrate you with delay and lag (something PS4 now has, and it didn't when the system originally launched). Bloated OS that lags is what made the Wii U such a chore to play. Yet these companies just never seemed to learn- they try to cram as much crap on the menus and into the OS as possible to the point you get that delay. But it seems they are finally learning that having a lightning fast OS is of paramount importance, and has a high correlation with whether or not I'm going to turn that system on again next week, or not touch it again for another year.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

subpopz

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

I swear it is always weird hearing people having issues with gaming on PC. I can understand arguments about cost but .dll issues and 90 percent of the stuff I've seen Jaxon and NES describe I'm like...what kind of cursed rig are you using?

I know, it really makes me lol to see this stuff exaggerated here like this when consoles can be just as problematic. Though I guess, the same thing does happen with consoles, where the minority that have problems and cursed systems blow them up to crazy proportions when the majority are actually just fine.
I've had 2 RoGs, a Samsung laptop and a custom tower within the last few years and have never run into the problems some associate with PC gaming.
One of the RoGs my kids use. I showed them how to use Steam and off they went. They have had no issues and don't even touch the consoles we have anymore.

subpopz

Ralizah

I've had more games on PS4 and Switch crash on me lately than on PC. In fact, crashes have rarely happened these last few years, even as I've taken to play more games on my rig. PC gaming is finally at the point where it's user-friendly enough to be fairly accessible for non-techies. Heck, driver updates are practically an automated process at this point.

Ralizah

Link-Hero

For the ones getting these "issues" with their computers. I have no idea what's going on, but it sounds like you're either doing something wrong with your PC's hardware or administration settings, or you're highly exaggerating the issues. I've owned a few different gaming quality computers throughout the last 10 years and I have never had problems like what some of you are having.

The only similar minor problems I've had is hardware or OS compatibility with older games. That's to be expected however.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic