Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,661 to 35,680 of 69,964

Therad

@kkslider5552000 the gaming market is really saturated at the moment. To make a splash you need marketing either trough ads or "influencers". Many (most?) indies miss this. And quite frankly, many also are just copying older stuff without really adding anything new.

And I agree that it is better to buy something new than double-dipping. For one, competition is good. And two, if you buy an older title, you don't give them an incentive to create something new (hello skyrim!)

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Late

Tried out Lost in Harmony which I downloaded yesterday since it was just 1€. I watched the trailer back when it was announced and decided to wait. I got my money's worth just from the first level. I'm on level 6 now and I really like the aesthetics, gameplay variation and music. There's some story too. I highly recommend picking it up.

Also thought I'd share a trailer for a game that's coming to Switch in 2019. I doubt anyone has posted this yet. I worked on this game during my internship and it will be the first game where my name can be seen in the credits so it's kind of awesome. It's the start of my career.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

bluemage1989

Jonny Turbos Arcade, Sega Ages, ACA/Neo Geo, Atari and Sega collections, Night Trap/Sonic Mania and more I've probably forgotten have made the Switch an essential for retro gamers. I'd love to see Nintendo be a part of that with the VC. People can say that the indie scene needs Nintendo to stay out of the way but the indie scene should be succeeding on it's quality and not by who is absent. Third parties have shown that quality games will sell on Switch even with a great library of evergreen first party titles the same applies to the indie scene.

bluemage1989

Cobalt

Just an info that could interest some of you :

Starlink is selling so bad that even the drop to 29.99£ change nothing at all in terms of sells.
So GAME (the chain) is dropping the price even lower...

19.99£ right now !

https://www.game.co.uk/en/starlink-battle-for-atlas-starter-p...

Merry Christmas.

PS : I spare a thought to all of the nice gamers who paid 69.99£ at launch end October... o_O

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

NEStalgia

@Therad Holding back Nintendo games to give 3rd parties room, silly as it sounds, is an actual Nintendo strategy though. That's part of what went wrong with WiiU. They specifically stated they didn't release major first party games in launch window because 3rd parties were concerned with the impact on their sales based on past experience. So witholding their own games to clear the way for 3rd party is a tactic they've tried (with bad results, but it's Nintendo. If at first you don't succeed........)

@kkslider5552000 "Nintendo's popular IPs that are constantly referenced as all time great games and largely bought by people who already own them might possibly have an unfair advantage over an indie game developed by 3 people who can barely afford to make it, let alone market it."

But that's the point. The eShop is a marketplace, not a jobs program for game designers. If consumers don't see the value in that little 3-man game compared to Nintendo's best from 30 years ago.....that 3-man game doesn't really have a place in the market. Obviously Nintendo's doing what they think is the most profitable long term (or just what they're afraid to lose or shake up, which is more likely), but in general, approaching the topic with a starting point that "all the indies should have their success if only the in-demand products are kept off the market!" is pretty much the most anti-competitive stance one can take. If the market is dumbed down to wherever indies are rather than competitively forcing them to up their product quality and value, it will look exactly the same 10 years from now as it does today. Imagine where Sega could have been if only those stupid Nintendo games were kept off shelves!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Cobalt "PS : I spare a thought to all of the nice gamers who paid 69.99£ at launch end October... o_O"
Well, I paid the $70, but they didn't include the game in the box and kindly gave me a digital code for the deluxe edition to get me up and running, and shipped me the physical copy as well....so....I feel reasonably well taken care of I'm impressed with Ubi's service.

NEStalgia

darkfenrir

Well... Won't people go:

"Why should I try a new game when an older game (that is probably cheaper) that I have played and enjoyed before is out?"

It's like me putting a Pokemon or a new monster collection game, people's eyes move to Pokemon far more even if they might enjoy the new game more.

But that's just my opinion

darkfenrir

Alantor28

Anyway, I am gonna try to get Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu at some point before the end of December.

[removed]

Edited on by Octane

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Octane

@Alantor28 And you should stop going around telling people to ignore other users. You've been told before not to do this.

Octane

Alantor28

Octane wrote:

@Alantor28 And you should stop going around telling people to ignore other users. You've been told before not to do this.

Sorry about that. I'll try to remember not to do that.

PSN: MMX20

1UP_MARIO

@Cobalt thanks. Sounds like a good gift idea

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

GeoChrome

@Cobalt It’s not just at GAME/GameStop/EB Games, many other big U.S. retailers such as Walmart and Best Buy are selling it for about half off. Starlanders: Fox’s Adventure (It’s a Skylanders joke) maybe wasn’t a great idea.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

JaxonH

Starlink clearly wasn’t doing that well when it charted low at release.

But, it’s been doing substantially better on the Nintendo Switch than any other platform. And particularly well in the US.

I don’t think any condolences need to be given for people who paid full price. Prices always drop- it’s inevitable. Every single person who bought that game did so knowing they could’ve got it cheaper if they waited (as with every video game ever made). But most people who buy day one make enough money that they just don’t care. They can afford to buy what they want, when they want. If they wanted to save money they wouldn’t have bought it day one to begin with.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Paraka

@JaxonH - I paid full price, I don't ultimately regret it. It's a fun little game and all I purchased was the Arwing set with a free pilot.

Still, it's a shame Skylanders and Disney Infinity utterly destroyed the Toys-to-life concept with their proprietary accessories for each installment of their game. I would been way more inclined to keep buying figures back when Disney was doing if they simply updated to 2.0 and sold the updated version on disc later. But damn did they really want that money. And now Starlink (and extension, amiibo) suffer from it.

LEGO Dimensions did it best, if anyone did anything good at all with the genre.

Paraka

GeeEmm

Bought the Starlink Deluxe Digital at launch and dont regret it one bit.

GeeEmm

Therad

@NEStalgia with breath of the wild and Mario kart in their launch window and with Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey soon after, I would be hesitant to say they took it easy on the first party front.

Therad

Therad

Paraka wrote:

@JaxonH - I paid full price, I don't ultimately regret it. It's a fun little game and all I purchased was the Arwing set with a free pilot.

Still, it's a shame Skylanders and Disney Infinity utterly destroyed the Toys-to-life concept with their proprietary accessories for each installment of their game. I would been way more inclined to keep buying figures back when Disney was doing if they simply updated to 2.0 and sold the updated version on disc later. But damn did they really want that money. And now Starlink (and extension, amiibo) suffer from it.

LEGO Dimensions did it best, if anyone did anything good at all with the genre.

I liked the idea of Skylanders imaginators, build your own character and be able to have it in a crystal is fine. But their execution was flawed. Skylanders is also one of the few games they have bothered to release into swedish, which is good for kids.

Therad

NEStalgia

So, as nes and snes mini wind down, i find myself still unsure about buying one. I wouldn't really play them. That's what switch is for. It's a nice collectors item and nostalgia feels.... Though i do still have my og consoles (assuming they work)

Nes mini seems a lot less tempting with the nso games and i ordered the joycon nes controllers.... so on switch is authentic anyway. That leaves snes and my wonder about if they will have snes controllers for switch....

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic