Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,421 to 27,440 of 69,950

IceClimbers

For the record, South Park is only 1 spot behind Darkest Dungeon on the US eShop, so it's basically #16 right now (I'm not counting the free stuff like the pinball games obviously). Naruto Trilogy is only a few spots lower than that.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

My biggest hope for next month regarding Switch is cloud saves being announced for the paid online service (would prefer XB1's approach of cloud saves being free for everyone but part of the subscription is better than not all).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I also do not play horror games.

Although Resident Evil is an exception. Or at least, it was until RE7 released. Refused to keep playing that one, though playing in VR may have had something to do with that lol... still it was an evil creepy game and I don't like that. Revelations series is fine. Games like Evil Within... heck no.

And DOOM was so good, just classic arcade gameplay. I had also written it off for a long time. But I did eventually buy it for Xbox One, and realized it wasn't anything like a horror game, or super scary or any of that. Even the gore was cheesy arcade type stuff. Or maybe I just got used to it a little, perhaps a combination of both.

But Wolfenstein is so story driven, and without all the demons and stuff. You're just fighting against Nazis in a future where they won and have advanced technology. I'd say on the gameplay basis, DOOM is more fun, but as a whole, accounting for the story and the narrative and the characters and just the whole package... Wolfenstein is just as good. And the gameplay isn't that far behind either. It's just a little bit slower and more like a traditional FPS. But the dual wielding and all that crazy stuff is just straight up awesome. And the gameplay, for a more traditional story driven FPS campaign, is basically flawless. It feels like a Nintendo game in that respect. Just flawless FPS gameplay. With a crazy number of difficulty modes, from super easy to super difficult. So anyone regardless of skill level can enjoy the game.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Touché

Ooh, this is it! This seals the deal! Time trial runs are IN for Funky Mode in DKC Tropical Freeze! I was worried they wouldn't let you do a time trial runs because the character has such a powerful moveset, but you can! There's even separate leaderboards and video replay uploads for Funky Kong time trial runs!

The hype is real

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

EvilLucario

Doom actually did have that slight horror element to the early games before Doom 3, but it was overshadowed by the action. Doom 2016 definitely said "nope, **** that" and just made everything so kinetic, fast, and visceral though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@JaxonH Well, that's fair: as we've seen recently with Gal*Gun 2, reviews aren't always trustworthy. I trust you'll post your impressions of Wolfenstein 2 when it launches.

I'm surprised South Park bombed. I guess being a staggered release, full price, and not including Stick of Truth was a bridge too far for most people. I fully plan on picking it up at some point, but I'm currently saving my money for the hundred games I want that release later in the year.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya, I expected lower sales being a staggered release and no Stick of Truth, but it still amuses me people are so finnicky with price for a game that is barely half a year old. Games routinely launch on PC 6-12 months after console, at full price, and people still buy them up.

I guess I expected it to have lower sales but I didn't expect it to be like... Splinter Cell Blacklist or Watch Dogs Wii U level of tanking. Especially given the game looks good and runs well and has all the DLC, and is the only portable version on the market.

But I suppose as more and more games release on Switch, people will start holding out for a Switch release in greater proportion. When the game released late last year, I don't think anyone expected it to come. But now we're seeing a lot of these games are actually coming. So maybe people will think twice about spending $60 on a game for other consoles, and instead just stashing that money in the drawer until the Switch version releases.

As for Wolf 2, I'll give it a fair assessment. I already know the game itself is excellent, so I guess it's just a question of whether it runs well. Realistically, I think if it can match DOOM, we'll be good.

JaxonH

@subpopz
Mario Rabbids is exclusive, but again it's been on the market since August. It was only used as reference for context. South Park, on its highest selling day at launch, couldn't even outperform a game that's been out for 9 months, not even for one single day. DKC obviously has a lot more appeal, but again, I used as reference because it's not even out yet. It's still weeks away from launch and even so, is still considerably outselling SP on launch day just from preorders.

IceClimbers

South Park is #16 on the US eShop, with Naruto now at #17.

Late

I don't see a reason to buy a Ubisoft game for full price when they drop their prices in couple of months. I'm sure there are some other people who think the same way. You can get Mario + Rabbids, Rayman Legends and Just Dance 2018 for 20€. South Park will soon join that group. I'll wait and buy it then.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Grumblevolcano

I think the Switch versions of Dark Souls Remastered and Wolfenstein 2 would've had the best chance of being successful if they released before E3. Smash hype will kill their potential unless somehow Solaire is a playable fighter for example.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I think Dark Souls has a better chance of breaking through, just because it looks so good and runs well on Switch. And I've seen a lot of excitement for that game on a portable system. And people can pick it up for $31.99 with GCU, which is basically half-price. And it's getting an amiibo to help push it.

Honestly though, I kinda feel like Doom Guy and BJ Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein are better suited to be in Smash, just because they hearken back to the SNES/N64 era, and Switch has been a revival of these IP for Nintendo fans. I really do feel like they are worthy of admission. Despite Dark Souls being really hype and all, i'm not sure if it's worthy of being admitted into Smash.

Btw, this is one of my favorite things about Wolfenstein: choosing your difficulty. I shamelessly admit to embracing the nook. I was never that good at FPS, but I do enjoy em with motion and a difficulty more on line with my skill level

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

I was just using Solaire as an example. As we've seen many times before, Smash helped franchises get big. From Melee leading to Nintendo localizing Fire Emblem all the way to such an interest in the Bayonetta franchise after she appeared as Smash 4 DLC that Nintendo enabled Platinum to make Bayonetta 3.

So Solaire in Smash would help Dark Souls Remastered sales, Doomguy in Smash would help DOOM (and DOOM 2 if it exists + comes to Switch) sales, etc.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

EvilLucario

I mean, after Cloud and Bayonetta and especially Snake, the possibilities of newcomer third-parties are more varied than what we think. That said, they all have a running theme: either they're the faces of very, very popular franchises (Cloud and Snake) or they're mostly aligned with Nintendo (Mega Man and Bayonetta).

But if anyone unironically brings up Goku, you'll be blocked. (just kidding, but seriously Goku does not need to be in Smash)

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

WebHead

I really hope there’s some good stuff planned for second half 2018 but I’m keeping my e3 expectations low, they straight up said they will talk about 2019 after e3.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

darkfenrir

If anyone is interested, we are getting Wizard of Legend at eshop at 15th of May!

The trailer:

I tried the demo on PC and it just feels really slick to control and great!

darkfenrir

meleebrawler

@DarthNocturnal 2016 Doom Marine is basically just a male, punch-happy Samus if her games were rated M. His rage is mostly reserved towards demons (not unlike Samus with her Space Pirates), and can be sympathetic towards those who don't outright sympathise with Hell, big blink-or-you'll-miss-it example being V.E.G.A the A.I.

@OorWullie Does Solaire actually have special combat abilities, beyond being really friendly? I'm curious.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

JaxonH

There's a lot of good games coming out, but a few standout titles that I feel aren't getting the attention they should:

Valkyria Chronicles 4
Pillars of Eternity 2
The World Ends With You
Wolfenstein 2 (as mentioned previously)

I'd say all of those will ultimately end up being classics, among the very best video games on the system.

• Valkyria Chronicles 1 sits at 86% on MetaCritic, and is regarded as one of the best SRPG's of 7th gen, and the new one follows the blueprint of the first, and is said to be better.
  • Pillars of Eternity is sitting at 89% on MetaCritic, a very highly regarded PC game, so this new sequel has very high expectations
  • The World Ends With You is sitting at 88% on MetaCritic, and this HD remix will have added content
  • Wolfenstein 2 boasts an 87% aggregate on MetaCritic, and imo is one of the best FPS I've played.

But there seems to be very little awareness or interest for these titles. Maybe more awareness for Wolfenstein 2, but noticeably less than DOOM. I hope people take notice of these titles in particular. Games with extremely high pedigree and should not be overlooked.

Edited on by JaxonH

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Pretty sure TWEWY was already considered a classic.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic