Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,401 to 27,420 of 69,964

darkfenrir

@NEStalgia Lmao that's true, but at least they are trying since their emulation also add a lot of things I hear? (like the BC of one of the games are actually better than the remasters...)

darkfenrir

JaxonH

Where's all the hype for Wolfenstein 2?

Game is downright excellent, one of my personal fave FPS games I've ever played. It drops in like 2 months time, with motion from day one.

Seems like quality 3rd party games are dropping now (what people have wanted on Nintendo platforms for a low time) and so few people care. Just Wolfenstein 2 on Nintendo alone is exciting, but an actual handheld version of the full game, with legit motion controls? People cry out for games like Conduit to make a return... man screw Conduit. We're getting handheld console hybrid Wolfenstein 2 with motion!

And this after seeing South Park completely bomb, which is reminiscent of all their games tanking on Wii U before they pulled support. I sure hope people actually want all these games they've been asking for. Because if we don't want them... they'll stop coming, of that you can be sure.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@NEStalgia I'm aware lol, was just trying to simplify down the fact that the same issue happens between 360 and XB1 where APIs aren't natively supported.

@andrew20 There's a huge number of issues with 3DS backwards compatibility that I simplified out in my initial explanation.
1. They'll need to find a solution to displaying the dual screens that is actually acceptable to end users, and looks professional. Easy enough, but requires work.
2. The processor is backwards compatible, but the graphics architecture is not, as that switched over to the Tegra. They'd need to either include a 3DS graphics card in the switch or emulate it, one of which would be a huge amount of work, and the other one raise the cost of the already expensive Switch, require fitting in additional ports, and raise it's weight.
3. The touch features would need proper implementation in console mode, and the system isn't designed to be held one handed in portable mode, leading to increased risk of damaging the system and bad PR.
4. Lack of microphone input for compatible games. Easy enough work around, but still an issue.

Basically all this ends up to a huge amount of work on Nintendo's end that could be spent on other features, or putting a large amount of configuring responsibility on the end user, many of whom aren't tech savvy enough and expect to be able to just plug it in and play.

link3710

darkfenrir

@JaxonH I would want to be hype about it if it was dropping earlier (end of may / beginning of june), as it is it will hit too close to Ys8/Shining/Octopath for me, AND, I also have to consider since I got massive nausea from playing FPS games (Portal/Stanley Parable was terrible for me, I also got motion sick from Warframe, Prey, and even when NieR: Automata's camera was moving too fast).

Maybe I'll pick it up with my usual seller if I have empty time :X but as of now, it just hit at the busiest time for me.

@DarthNocturnal And that's really great! Dang, if you have tons of Xbox games, all of these are really great news :0

darkfenrir

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH What do you mean South Park completely bombed?

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I hear it from time to time, or at least, used to before DOOM was announced.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@JaxonH To be fair, there was little to no hype for Wolf2 on ANY platform. It's kind of an under the radar game from every angle, not just in the Nintendo circle. I don't think Bethesda plays the marketing machine the way EA, Activision, Sony, Ubisoft love to do. Fallout and TES sell themselves, but everything else....Wolf isn't exactly a big name to the kiddies, despite its retro cult status. I imagine PC is it's biggest home....which, makes my inner golden age PC gamer geek grin from ear to ear.

I'm so thrilled about the motion controls though! I still haven't actually tried them in Doom. I keep telling myself "After DQ:B"....and I never get there. Wolf will be out by then!

South Park....I'm genuinely surprised at the sales lack: BUT, given the discounts and age of the game, the "initial sales" bump is long over. There wasn't going to be that release week spike. I'm hoping in the Nintendo world it will hold onto steady-ish long term sales. I thought that would do better, though, as well.

It's a hard cycle to break for Nintendo. Being the "second launch" of a game is never going to get proportional sales to other platforms. I wonder how South Park would have done if it were day 1 with other platforms? That's surely not graphics heavy or multiplayer so "best platform" and "my friends..." wouldn't apply. It may just be a matter that most of the target audience already played it (for cheaper) elsewhere by the time it launched. Normally I agree with you that games don't need to be as cheap as other platforms when launching on a new platform...but do they? South Park has been $30 or less for months, several times, on PSXdows10. "Buy this for $60" probably isn't selling the South Park crowd that knows it will be $30 sooner or later if they didn't already play it (heck, I'm checking my own sanity at buying it now....of COURSE it will be cheaper later!) Consumers aren't always morons. Just usually.

NEStalgia

Octane

The last Wolfenstein game I played extensively was Enemy Territory, and I think it will remain that way. The new ones don't look like my cup of tea unfortunately.

Octane

kkslider5552000

Doom and Wolfenstein will be two of my early Switch games when I finally get one tbh. Especially Doom, there's maybe 3 retail games on the platform a higher priority for me than Doom for Switch.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

I thought I'd hate Doom, I'm usually an "avoid excessively gorey games" person. But after actually enjoying Bayonetta 1&2, I figured the least I could do was see what all the fuss was about. And while I'd still definitely enjoy a way to turn down the gore, I'm definitely looking forwards to Wolfenstein 2 after how good a game Doom was.

link3710

Ralizah

@JaxonH Wolfenstein II's sales have been disappointing on pretty much all platforms, so I don't see why the Switch release should be any different. Footage and user reviews have mostly put me off the game: I just don't see why I'd ever play it when DOOM is available on the same platform.

Doesn't help that it's coming out in a crowded release period.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah @NEStalgia
Wolfenstein 2 sales didn't do well, that's true, but a lot of the reasons for that shouldn't apply to the Switch version. It launched same day as Assassin's Creed Origins and Super Mario Odyssey, not to mention all the other holiday games that released around that time.

Not to mention, Switch doesn't have a whole vault full of top tier FPS games like other platforms do. And it's the first ever portable version and version offering motion controls, which most Nintendo gamers have come to embrace as making games exponentially more enjoyable.

I've personally played the game and it's excellent. One of the best FPS I've ever played- reviews be ******. I don't know what kind of crazy standards they must hold but, if that's considered a mediocre game, then I wouldn't trust those reviewers even if my life depended on it.

@Spoony_Tech
South Park didn't even enter the eShop best sellers list, not even at the bottom. Even Resident Evil Revelations did that, and that game sold about 250k (which was more than PS4/X1 combined, mind you, but they were older releases).

Not only that, but even on its launch day, South Park only reached #40 on the Amazon Best Sellers List, right next to Mario Rabbids at #39, a game that has been out for nearly a year. The day after launch it dropped to #56, and the day after #75, and so on. For comparison, DKC Tropical Freeze is currently at #7 and it's not even out yet. And it's a port, and not the biggest profile game.

It severely tanked. Enough to worry me about future Ubisoft support.

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
Also, it's only realistic a staggered launch decreases sales on Switch. Releasing day and date would certainly increase sales, but I suspect it would do so at the expense of PS4/X1 sales. So, yes, more sales on Switch, but less elsewhere. Since gamers would simply be buying this version instead of the other one.

Which means, staggered releases truly show how many additional sales they are achieving via a Switch version. By not telling anyone it was coming to Switch when it launched on other systems, everyone who was going to buy it for other systems did so. Well and truly leaving only additional sales for Switch version. And if the additional sales for making this version is only 50-100k, I don't really see them deeming that as worthwhile.

And that's a serious problem. I don't think that's the case for all games because I do think a lot of games will generate enough additional sales to be worthwhile but, it seems like we're starting to see a trend of decreased interest for 3rd party games. And that could indeed be a very serious problem. Ubisoft makes Mario Rabbids and it sells millions. Ubisoft releases Rayman Legends and South Park, and struggles to reach 100-200k. That's very reminiscent of Wii U sales of Ubisoft titles. And people no longer have all the excuses they had back then like "well it didn't have all the DLC" or "it had framerate issues". South Park runs great and looks great, and launched with the complete season pass available for purchase on the eShop day one. Even had the Gold version available. Wolfenstein 2, that's getting all the DLC, heck it even has motion controls. And every game or at least gets an exclusive HD handheld version you cannot obtain anywhere else. There's so much quality and value packed in to these releases, it really troubles me to see them struggle or fail to generate hype.

I would very much like to see a new market emerge on Switch for a majority of 3rd party titles released. I would very much like to live in a world where I can buy 4 out of 5 3rd party games on Switch and play them portably, on the TV, with motion, with split Joycon, etc. But if 3rd party games start struggling to sell on the system, fail to generate enough additional sales to justify porting to a unique, less powerful platform... then that dream will never be realized. And I'll be stuck playing these games on stationary home consoles the rest of my life

Edited on by JaxonH

Therad

The last Wolfenstein I played was 3d...

If Xbox one did have emulation, you would pop in the 360 disc and it would work with every single game.
But instead people need to download the game.

There is really only one good reason for this, they are recompiling the games on their end. My guess is they also add a compatibility layer as well in the download. A little bit of code that translates some old APIs to newer ones. With a bit of goodwill you can call this emulation.

Cpu architecture has almost no impact when it comes to consoles. With few exceptions, all games are made in c++ which is agnostic against the CPU. The difference between the different platforms are the APIs for platform specific features such as voice chat, achievements and such. The only time CPU architecture really matters is if you want true backwards compatibility.

Tools and game engines have been relatively stable for years. Just look at how many games have had dual releases this gen and the last. Despite the games being bigger and more complex than ever before, they still manage to port them at an high rate. This didn't really happen before, every gen was very much a self contained entity.

Therad

NEStalgia

@JaxonH True, but there's so much that goes into it. Most sales for multiplats are in the first 3 week's preorders. If it bombed then, most people either weren't interested or already moved on. And true, Switch doesn't have a vault of FPS's, but most people that are strong fans of FPSs probably play on other systems that are built soup to nuts for FPSs, either instead of or in addition to Switch. It's a conundrum. An FPS on Switch is always going to be more niche a title for the platform. Combine a game that people weren't that interested in on other platforms with a platform that inherently has less people interested in the genre (on that platform).....and interest will be quite low. BUT that doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile venture to squeeze out some extra life from the game. I doubt bethesda has huge sales goals for the title, so they may still meet them.

Good to hear you're so high on it. I was honestly kind of "meh" on it since E3 from appearances, but then once I heard it was coming to Switch decided I'd give it a go since it can be a "side" game for me as something interesting (and frankly after Splatoon and a decade of PC, if a game is an FPS and doesn't have mouse or motion control I probably won't enjoy it much anyway, so Switch is the only viable platform for it for me!)

South Park: One thing about the comparison to RE: I saw a lot of mention of RE everywhere when it came out. It was being hyped. South Park just kind of quietly dropped. I had mine pre-ordered for months and didn't even know it was releasing until it showed up in the NL front page for the "what are you buying this month" article. I was like "oh, cool, forgot that was releasing." Low awareness might be at play to a degree, even compared to RE. If I was waiting for it and didn't even know it was releasing now, I imagine tons of people have no clue.

But I still come back to: DKC is hyped and is a "port" most people never had the hardware to play the original before of a big nostalgia series. So it's a "new" game, or better "an envied game for years!" to many Switch owners. Southpark is a $60 version of a game that's been $30 or less on "my other console" for months. And given that it's Ubisoft, again, we KNOW the price will plummet. We should revisit after the price drop to see how sales are then. Anyone that has more self control than myself wouldn't pay $60 for it now.....it's throwing money away.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
That's fair. We do know Ubisoft games drop in price quickly. I guess the question is, how many people are going to buy it once the price drops to $40 or $30. If people still aren't buying the game then, we really do have a problem.

And you're right- there was hardly any hype for it or awareness, but that in itself is a result of people's lack of interest, which is the problem in question. We heard a lot of people complaining that game should be on Switch- why isn't South Park coming to Switch? That game would be a perfect fit for Switch... What is Ubisoft thinking not putting that on Switch? Where are those people now?

Edited on by JaxonH

NEStalgia

@JaxonH By and large the third party games are designed for PC like consoles, so the only reason to buy on Switch is for portability if you own both. Unfortunately that does feel like maybe people aren't that interested in portable major console games (in the West), and Japan isn't all that interested in Western games (in general.)

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

Not switch related but F4F announced another Okami statue. Time to increase the amount of jobs im applying for....

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 I avoided DOOM initially because I always associated that franchise as horror rather than shooter (horror is an automatic no for me, closest I get is Luigi's Mansion) but the Switch reveal of DOOM 2016 made it seem more like just a FPS so I tried it and liked it. Upon looking closer, it seemed only the last gen DOOM was a horror game so if DOOM 2 is announced I won't dismiss it straight away.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic