Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,441 to 27,460 of 69,983

gcunit

Fear not. I don't intend to get TWEWY as I have the DS version, but those other three will all make their way into my library when the price is right (typically below the £30 threshold).

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Indeed, but a cult classic. The people who played it love it but very few people outside of that group seem to know or care about it, or realize just how good the game is.

For example, I had heard of the game, but I didn't really know what it was and I didn't know how well it was received by those who had played it. It wasn't until my brother told me it was one of his favorite RPG's of all time, that I began to research it and come to the understanding I have today.

Kinda the same deal with Valkyria Chronicles. The people who played it loved it and are stoked through the roof for VC4, the sequel everyone's been waiting on for 10 years. But outside of that group very few people seem to realize just how good this game is. Or at least, how good the first one was, which VC4 is praised as matching and even exceeding it.

Pillars of Eternity, kinda the same thing. It was a PC game, and as such there really isn't a fanbase on consoles. In fact most console players don't even know what it is. They did recently port the first to PS4/X1, but Nintendo fans have never had that luxury. And I think a lot of Nintendo fans don't realize just how big a name Pillars of Eternity is outside of their Nintendo console gaming bubble. The sequel has a lot of fans hyping it up... on PC. Not so much on consoles- certainly not so on Switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH I am stoked for all four of those titles, and have them on my list. Only played TWEWY before of the four, but I've heard too many good things to ignore the other three.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Glad to hear you've got your ear to the ground with the classics. I'm worried Valkyria Chronicles 4 might get lost in the mix with Shining Resonance and Y's VIII, both of which look fantastic but... VC4 should be considered in a different league altogether. Especially if they reveal Fire Emblem at e3 (which they will), Nintendo fans in their naïveté of classics from other platforms might completely overlook the other top-shelf SRPG Valkyria Chronicles 4

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

I think we'll see more excitement for VC4 once more Switch footage actually surfaces. The most we've heard as of now is that it's being delayed in Japan.

Pillars of Eternity... not sure how the conversion will be there. Will definitely pick it up if it's a good port, though. Lots of good stuff on the way. Now Nintendo just needs to do their part and release more critically-acclaimed first-party exclusives.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

Mario Tennis Aces is a big one, for first party. Looks like one of the best Mario sports titles to date. That motion was crucial. So glad they added that in. Should be very well received.

And so is DKC, actually. It's now topped GoW as the best selling video game on Amazon, just from preorder sales, which is pretty darn amazing. That word of mouth must be spreading. Let's just hope reviews don't sabotage it again like that ridiculous Gamespot piece (I can usually respect differing opinions, but that was one of the rare cases where every single word out of their mouth was not only wrong, but the farthest thing from the truth possible).

Smash will be acclaimed, Fire Emblem almost certainly will be acclaimed. Yoshi will probably get the usual 73/100, but will sell well regardless. If Pokémon or Mario Maker 2 release this year, those will most certainly be acclaimed. Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad won't be belching out perfect 10's but, both of them are quality video games and will be well received.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH If Pokemon releases in 2018, people may even ignore Fire Emblem. Though FE Warriors somehow became a million seller despite releasing a week before Mario Odyssey so maybe not.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@JaxonH I can't see too many sites bothering to re-review a port, even if it does have Funky Kong. They would surely be more likely to just report their original review, and maybe add a little side note so you know.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haruki_NLI

@FragRed They reviewed Bayonetta 2, MK8D, BOTW twice and more.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

@FragRed On the other hand, MK8 has a higher score on the Switch by a good 4 points just because of the DLC and Battle Mode, which I find amusing. I don't expect a massive leap and expect more of a similar score like what Bayonetta 2 enjoyed, but it does happen time to time so I can see the Switch port getting a 84-85 instead of a 83.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

I'm impressed by how many people are preordering DKC: Tropical Freeze. Hyrule Warriors, on the other hand, is just barely edging into the top 50 on Amazon. It underperformed in Japan, too.

I mean, I get that it'll climb the charts closer to release, but it's still interesting.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JoetheLion

I'm more interested in Valkyria Chronicles 1 coming to Switch. I missed the game on other platforms and have always wanted to play the first VC, so I plan to get it on Switch. It is releasing on Switch alongside VC 4, for those who don't know. Might be digital only, though, for those who don't buy digital.

JoetheLion

JaxonH

Ya, DKC is lighting it up right now. At least on Amazon anyways.

Hyrule Warriors has also released twice already, once on Wii U and again on 3DS. I think more so than a lot of other ports, practically everyone has already played that game and even bought it twice to get a handheld version at the time. So unlike a lot of other games, this is a triple dip rather than double. Even so, it's not ranking that poorly. Given how far out it is, number 50 isn't that bad. Dark Souls Remastered on PS4 is only 65-70 and it releases around the same time.

@JoetheLion
That's assuming Valkyria Chronicle 1 gets localized for Switch.

Unfortunately, we're seeing this horrible new trend where Switch games don't get localized in the west, even when they localize it for PS4 and PC. Dragon Quest Heroes 2. It's already on Switch, and they already have an English translation... yet no western Switch release. The new Nobanuga's Ambition game. Released on Switch, then they announce it's coming west for... wait for it... PS4 and PC only. Monster Hunter XX. Already on Switch. 80% of the game is localized via Generations... no western release.

So I wouldn't bank on us getting VC1. They still haven't said anything about a localization. And usually they announce those things shortly after. They might still announce it but every day that goes by I lose a little more hope.

Edited on by JaxonH

darkfenrir

Unfortunately for those games...

I tried first VC, and nope, definitely not my thing (There's some nitpicks I have with the game, but it certainly didn't make me enjoy it).

Pillars of Eternity- same thing. I tried it because someone bought it for me and I have a lot of niggling with it. If they rework the battle system a lot I'll give it another look though.

TWEWY - 100% will buy. I never bought the DS version (It was during certain era here, definitely never even saw the real cart over here), and I'm excited to finally replay it again.

Wolfenstein 2 - Unfortunately, FPS is my bane for motion sickness :V I even tried Deus Ex yesterday and it was so bad.

darkfenrir

JoetheLion

@JaxonH I hope it gets localized. It may. But it may not. Here's hoping it'll hit the west, though.

JoetheLion

ilikeike

@JaxonH I'm actually really hyped for all the games you mentioned (with the exception of Wolf 2, which I'm interested in but shooters aren't exactly my genre). Especially TWEWY, it's one of my biggest gaming regrets that I never picked it up for DS when I had the chance. At least I'll be able to play the (hopefully) definitive version on Switch this year, so I'm pumped for that. Pillars of Eternity 2, even though I haven't played the original, I'm interested in simply for the sake of having another big RPG--a Western-style RPG with great graphics, at that--on Switch. And the bits of gameplay I've seen of the Valkyria Chronicles and VC4 look absolutely wonderful. It's this insane hybrid of basically every major JRPG subgenre (strategy, turn based, action, etc.) and that just seems awesome.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Therad

@JaxonH I hadn't read the Gamespot review for DKC:TF, but it matches my view of the game. It feels a bit off and uninspired, I didn't even complete it. And this is from someone that completed everything in DKC:r, one of very few games I have chased after everything.

Therad

Octane

@Therad I personally think Tropical Freeze is one of the finest platformers ever made. What didn't you like about it?

Octane

Therad

I found it boring and uninspired. I also didn't like the control scheme, I felt it was easier to use the wiimote, despite having to shake it. I also wasn't found of the soundtrack, especially on the first level.

I don't hate it or even think it is a bad game. But it isn't the best platformer I have played. For me it is around a six on a scale of ten.

Therad

-Green-

Couldn’t disagree more, but that’s fine. I think I’m getting the port for my Auntie. She has a weird fondness for Donkey Kong.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic