Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,061 to 20,080 of 70,008

TuVictus

Hopefully 2018 has some good follow ups for this year's games. Not necessarily as big, but a new LBW-esque Zelda, a new 3D World/NSMB as well would be good candidates for the year in-between big game years.

TuVictus

MFD

@Ralizah What IP would you be thinking for 2018? If Pokemon and Metroid are 2019, then what other really big hitters could they bring to the table?

MFD

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Ralizah I was contemplating whether to post this or not. I was looking for other sites to see if they'd wrote about it as the information comes from a Wall Street Journal article on 30th October. Strangely, they haven't.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-raises-expectation-for-...

If they are going to make original games then how long will it take? If they're only starting now then it could be quite some time depending on how big it is, if they're downsizing games already in the pipeline for other platforms, etc.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Animal Crossing. Fire Emblem. Pikmin. Yoshi. Kirby. Maybe a new I.P. or spinoff title.

Maybe not the all-star one-two punch of Mario and Zelda, but they could very easily have a very good first-party year if they play their cards right.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MFD

@Ralizah I hope there will be some third-parties to fill out the empty spaces then, provide some more context to the other genres.

@DarthNocturnal True, we'll see I suppose. I'd wish for a direct soon, but we've got one singled in on Xenoblade 2 that probably won't give any insight into anything else

MFD

MFD

@DarthNocturnal You remind me of how there seem to be a ton of people always asking for Smash during directs, even if they know the contents of said direct.

MFD

Grumblevolcano

I think 2018 will have on the first party front something like this:

• Kirby (confirmed)
  • Yoshi (confirmed)
  • Fire Emblem (confirmed)
  • Smash Bros. (enhanced Wii U port)
  • 2D Mario (Super Mario Maker enhanced Wii U port)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario Party
  • Pikmin
  • A few new/dormant IPs (e.g. Switch Fit, Luigi's Mansion 3, 2 new IPs)

Forgot about the Pikmin 4 teases.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

Agriculture wrote:

Therad wrote:

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

What is up with so many people saying the Switch is selling so much more to an older audience than kids? 40% of Switch owners are 18 or younger. Any time I mention that I still haven't seen a Switch ad on TV, I get told that they're all over kids channels.

Where did you get that statistics from? And how does it compare to the other consoles?

Here is the statistics I posted earlier: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/average-age-of-switch-owner...

As you can see on them, the age group 0-18 represent only 37 % of the sales. 18 and up represents 63 %.

12 and under is only 14 % of the sales. My point is that Nintendo absolutely needs to sell to the age group 12 and under, and if they are going to pull that off, the price needs to drop significantly. A handheld only version would be great for that. They already have Minecraft on the console, which is one of the most popular games in that age bracket.

No, I don't think they can increase that demographic. Phones and tablets are much more appealing since they are multipurpose machines. It isn't like that demographic have much money. No, I think it is more important to get more mobile games out so they retain brand awareness. They are doing really great in the 25+ demographic, which is a demo that has actually money.

Therad

Agriculture

Therad wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

Here is the statistics I posted earlier: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/average-age-of-switch-owner...

As you can see on them, the age group 0-18 represent only 37 % of the sales. 18 and up represents 63 %.

12 and under is only 14 % of the sales. My point is that Nintendo absolutely needs to sell to the age group 12 and under, and if they are going to pull that off, the price needs to drop significantly. A handheld only version would be great for that. They already have Minecraft on the console, which is one of the most popular games in that age bracket.

No, I don't think they can increase that demographic. Phones and tablets are much more appealing since they are multipurpose machines. It isn't like that demographic have much money. No, I think it is more important to get more mobile games out so they retain brand awareness. They are doing really great in the 25+ demographic, which is a demo that has actually money.

What do you think will happen if they add some multipurpose to the Switch? Browser, Netflix/HBO and perhaps something else.

The WiiU showed that it's not enough to solely rely on 25+ year old Nintendo fans.

Agriculture

gcunit

Agriculture wrote:

The WiiU showed that it's not enough to solely rely on 25+ year old Nintendo fans.

Gah! I wish people would stop doing this. It seems any point someone wants to reinforce, they call upon the Wii U as proof.

There's a veritable smorgasbord of reasons the Wii U didn't sell more, but you can't just pull out one aspect relevant to it and say that the Wii U proves the point.

'The Wii U showed Nintendo's software isn't enough' - no.

'The Wii U showed Wii Fit is dead' - no.

'The Wii U showed it's not enough to rely on 25+ year olds' - no.

Please. Stop.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Agriculture

gcunit wrote:

Agriculture wrote:

Gah! I wish people would stop doing this. It seems any point someone wants to reinforce, they call upon the Wii U as proof.

There's a veritable smorgasbord of reasons the Wii U didn't sell more, but you can't just pull out one aspect relevant to it and say that the Wii U proves the point.

'The Wii U showed Nintendo's software isn't enough' - no.

'The Wii U showed Wii Fit is dead' - no.

'The Wii U showed it's not enough to rely on 25+ year olds' - no.

Please. Stop.

Okay, fair enough, but without calling upon the WiiU, I still don't think the core Nintendo fans are enough to support the system. Nintendo themselves have admitted this when they said that it was very important to them that the Switch had good third party support.

Agriculture

IceClimbers

@gcunit I think the Wii Fit one is relevant though. Wii U, and now Switch, don't appeal to the same demographic that Wii did. Games like Wii Fit appealed primarily to non-gamers who had, for the most part, no prior interest in video games. That demographic that made the Wii sell like that isn't really relevant. They either moved on from games entirely, moved to mobile games, or are completely content with their Wii. I really don't think a Wii Fit type game would sell well on Switch.

I agree with you otherwise.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Angelic_Lapras_King

Welp, guess you can now call the Switch the "Warriors" console because now One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is coming to the Switch for a Japanese December release.

Guess FEW has opened the flood games....

Edited on by Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King

Grumblevolcano

@Angelic_Lapras_King Hopefully a Hyrule Warriors port comes to Switch with all the 3DS content + the Wii U exclusive content and more.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MFD

@Angelic_Lapras_King I wonder how that stacks up to One Piece: Unlimited World Red. I've yet to play my copy though

MFD

TuVictus

A Switch port of Hyrule Warriors that brings back in co-op would be a dream come true for me. Obviously a sequel would be better, but there is just so much stuff I haven't finished in HW that a port would be more than enough new content for me.

TuVictus

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano A Hyrule Warriors Complete Edition that has all of the content from both versions of the game, including the season passes, and some additional BotW content would be a killer package honestly.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ralizah

Hyrule Warriors on Switch with all of the content from previous versions of the game would be more attractive to me than FE Warriors, honestly.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MFD

@Ralizah As someone who is playing FE: Warriors right now, I'm curious as to what makes you say that.

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic