Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,041 to 20,060 of 69,981

Ralizah

@Agriculture No company in its right mind is going to drop the price of a new system that is selling so well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Agriculture

Ralizah wrote:

@Agriculture No company in its right mind is going to drop the price of a new system that is selling so well.

I meant in the future, maybe after it has been out for 1,5-2 years. Right now it's selling well with older people, whom have deeper pockets. In the long term, they need to lower the price to sell to more age groups.

Agriculture

Ralizah

@Agriculture Nintendo usually launches new hardware to target different demographics, though. I could see them launching a smaller and more protected Switch to market to children. Perhaps alongside the launch of a new Pokemon game.

Edited on by Ralizah

gcunit

Satoru%20Iwata wrote:

While we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

SLIGEACH_EIRE

What is up with so many people saying the Switch is selling so much more to an older audience than kids? 40% of Switch owners are 18 or younger. Any time I mention that I still haven't seen a Switch ad on TV, I get told that they're all over kids channels.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

MFD

@gcunit So, multiple kinds of hardware configurations that all have one central way of development, so as to make sure that all the games fit for all the different kinds of hardware. Smart. But then I wonder, what happens to sales then? Wouldn't you be having to manufacture many different things at risks that aren't guaranteed to pay off?

If they can pull that off, all power to em.

MFD

MFD

@IceClimbers So arguably, with the Switch's success, there's no need for multiple models? Though Kimishima did say he saw more opportunity in the handheld market. The plot thickens.

MFD

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Ginger: Beyond the Crystal for Nintendo Switch Trailer

The game will be available in digital format on the eShop starting on November 17th; physical version will arrive on 2018.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Tobiaku

@MegaTen Nice avatar.

Thought Limited Run Games had released Wonder boy on PS4?
Will probally get the Switch version I think looks nicest, be it this one or that Asian one with English subs.

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Ralizah

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Must differ from region to region. Here in the States, I see Switch ads all over TV, whereas I've only ever seen Wii U ads on the Disney channel.

@MegaTen I'd love to see older Capcom games. Especially Resident Evil ones. REmake and 0 originally released on the GameCube, and it would be amazing to see them re-released on the Switch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@MegaTen REmake is one of my all-time favorite survival horror games. It's head-and-shoulders above almost every other entry in the series. I'm just amazed Capcom took the cheesy, B-movie original and managed to create something wonderfully gothic and freaky out of it.

Edited on by Ralizah

MFD

@MegaTen Frightening you say? Reminds me of the Re-Deads in Ocarina of Time. Those things are still quite scary, even now, it's probably those screams that do the trick

MFD

MFD

@MegaTen Back as children, they'd think of it as hugging. Something tells me a lot of "older" people, considering the position of the re-dead, think of something... else... if you catch my drift.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

What is up with so many people saying the Switch is selling so much more to an older audience than kids? 40% of Switch owners are 18 or younger. Any time I mention that I still haven't seen a Switch ad on TV, I get told that they're all over kids channels.

Where did you get that statistics from? And how does it compare to the other consoles?

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Ralizah

@MegaTen Crimson Heads were a touch of genius. Unless they were spoiled beforehand, I don't know of anyone who wasn't freaked out the first time one of those zombies got back up.

And yeah, the game is BEAUTIFUL. The high-res pre-rendered backgrounds and moody lighting look so good on an SDTV, and I'm sure the same is true of REmake HD on HD sets.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/10/30/report-...

The Wall Street Journal, in their reporting on Nintendo's recent financial report that released today, talked to Hirozaku Hamamura, chief executive of Japanese game-magazine publisher Gzbrain (which owns magazines like Famitsu). Hamamura, who is known equally for both extensive insider knowledge about the Japanese gaming industry and his loose lips about the same Japanese gaming industry, told WSJ that big games were coming to Switch much later because third parties were surprised by its success.

Specifically, Hamamura says that a lot of heavy hitters one would expect to come to Switch won't be there until 2019, due to the prolonged nature of game development and the dawning realization that the system was not going to be another Wii U over the last seven months.

Most notably, Capcom, a publisher who had long been an ally of Nintendo's through both successful and unsuccessful consoles, had been suspiciously absent from the Switch. The near-launch Ultra Street Fighter II sold well despite being criticized as overpriced, and the only follow-ups from the company have been ports of Monster Hunter from a previously-released 3DS game and ports of the two Resident Evil Revelations games.

A Capcom spokesperson quoted in the article explained that getting out software for systems in its first year of launch is rare for third-party developers because there simply isn't enough time to release games within the first year. Capcom developed and published Dead Rising 3 on the Xbox One for its launch.

One third party who got on board quickly with the Switch, Koei Tecmo, struck a somewhat boastful tone last week during a press conference. From the WSJ article:

“We bet big on the Switch as a game changer so we began making games before the Switch’s launch, but many software companies showed reluctance in releasing Switch games before they witnessed the current success,” said Yoichi Erikawa, chief executive at Koei Tecmo.

2017 has been like one of those inspirational sports movies for Nintendo.

Anyway, good to know some awesome stuff is on the way. I'm glad Nintendo seems to confident in their ability to keep momentum in 2018 with their first party content.

2019 is probably going to be insane. SMT. Metroid Prime. Pokemon. God knows what else.

Edited on by Ralizah

MFD

@Ralizah So basically they're working on it, caught off guard as much as Nintendo themselves (according to Reggie). I wonder how 2018 will be looking then. Could be rather stale, I sure hope not though.

I'm guessing this also counts for Western Developers (aside from Bethesda)

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Nintendo has already said they're going to continue consistently releasing big titles in 2018, so I wouldn't worry too much. It just means an avalanche won't arrive until 2019.

Agriculture

Therad wrote:

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Where did you get that statistics from? And how does it compare to the other consoles?

Here is the statistics I posted earlier: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/average-age-of-switch-owner...

As you can see on them, the age group 0-18 represent only 37 % of the sales. 18 and up represents 63 %.

12 and under is only 14 % of the sales. My point is that Nintendo absolutely needs to sell to the age group 12 and under, and if they are going to pull that off, the price needs to drop significantly. A handheld only version would be great for that. They already have Minecraft on the console, which is one of the most popular games in that age bracket.

Agriculture

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic