Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 19,761 to 19,780 of 70,082

Ralizah

@StuTwo They really don't achieve similar things. In the Japanese release, you get a sense of how harrowing their work is, their level of repute among others in their line of work, those sorts of things. In the "localization," you get elipses. No context, no replacement dialogue that communicates the same thing, just "dot dot dot." That's not a good translation, on any level.

I mean, I respect that this doesn't bother you, but I don't understand how you can say this is high quality work.

EDIT: I guess I'm just wondering what you would consider a "bad" translation.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

StuTwo

@Ralizah In general it's a matter of preference. In Japanese you can densely adorn even a short passage of text with a lot of subtext and connotation - like the relationship between the characters, the degree of respect. Doing that in English is much more difficult.

In this particular case I don't expect hardened assassins who have been on rival sides of a conflict for years to suddenly meet and talk at length about their feelings. It would be a moment of silence where everything was said wordlessly. It doesn't work half as well in a game with static images as it would in a film but I think that's what they were attempting. Whether you think it's better or worse is a matter of taste.

As the French mathematician Pascal once said; "this is only so long because I didn't have time to make it any shorter".

A bad translation would be something of the type that we used to routinely get in the 8 and 16 bit days. Spoony bards and other such things that were outright wrong.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Pazzo-TheFool

Now we're talking about how Nintendo handles translation, a form of localization.

Glad we moved on from that censorship nonsense.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

MFD

@Caldorosso-E I'll say though, what they did to Tokyo Mirage Sessions was highly unnecessary. The way I see that piece of work, the team that was responsible had a very bad day, and felt like relieving themselves on that game.

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight Remember that wedding dress where they covered up the shoulders? Like, who does that?

Also: "vagina bones." Never forget. Also, some people could afford to take a human anatomy course.

MFD

@Snaplocket The way it was, and no censorship, or at least an option. It felt like they were changing things, for the sake of changing things, not to adapt it to Western audiences, because they were mild things that didn't if barely mattered.

@Ralizah Ohh, I remember alright, even if I wouldn't want to. Changes to Lyn in XCX for her age? Sure, understandable and no problems there. But the changes in Mirage Sessions were to teenagers, who showed some here and there. What would happen to beaches in real life should these people get authority over there? Everyone has to wear a suit?

Edited on by MFD

MFD

MFD

@Snaplocket I'd rather not have to choose between them, to be frank.

MFD

MFD

@Snaplocket Actually, that solemnly depends on the quality of the dub. Stella Glow was a game with an excellent (imho) piece of voice acting, so I didn't mind not having Japanese audio there.

MFD

Ralizah

An english dub has to be exceptionally bad for me not to prefer it by default in a game. I haven't heard legitimately terrible dubbing in forever in either anime or video games. The standards have improved in that regard.

Pazzo-TheFool

UmniKnight wrote:

@Caldorosso-E I'll say though, what they did to Tokyo Mirage Sessions was highly unnecessary. The way I see that piece of work, the team that was responsible had a very bad day, and felt like relieving themselves on that game.

At this point I really don't care what we think about "censorship", but you cannot infer motive to anyone.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

MFD

@Ralizah Would you say Nintendo tends to skimp on VA in this regard? Taking Effie as the perfect example, I think so, because VA hasn't been an integral part of video games until recently, and Nintendo does tend to be a little slow on that front.

@Caldorosso-E I'm sure they did it because it was their job, but that doesn't change it being next to unnecessary.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Ralizah

@UmniKnight VA has never been an important element of Nintendo games, so it makes sense that NoA wouldn't worry about hiring A-list actors. The importance in these games is how they play.

Also, unpopular opinion, I guess, but I liked the voice for Princess Zelda in BotW. Not sure why people seemed so repelled by her voice.

With that said, I'm happy that the game has so many language options, and am looking forward to my Japanese-language playthrough on hard mode.

IceClimbers

Kid Icarus Uprising has some of the best voice acting in a Nintendo game

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MFD

@Ralizah In VA, one of the most important things, imho, is typecasting. Does the voice sound like it matches the character? Imagine giving the voice of a gruff, soldier to a schoolgirl, or vice versa. That's one of, if not the most important aspect for me, and they nailed this in Stella Glow.

I hated her voice at first, but got used to it later. Plus, quite important to note, is that she only spoke during cutscenes and that blood-moon thingy, so even if it was grating, it wasn't close to frequent enough to really matter to be frank.

But yes, language options should be a standard if you ask me. Nothing wrong with giving people choice, it only includes more people to buy one's game.

@Iceclimbers You remind me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4-Th6sX-k The humour, the banter, it's very well done indeed. But that's what I mean with typecasting. The voices fit the characters and that's arguably more important than what they say.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

@StuTwo @Ralizah Guys, I'm fine with you two discussing, but please could you not use the word ''rape''? The profanity filter goes mental every time that word is used!

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Good news, more companies are giving the resolution vs. framerate choice that has been rather limited on consoles before FE Warriors. This time it's Hitman on XB1X, it seems you can either have 4K/30fps or 1080p/60fps.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Isn't that standard for the mid-gen upgrades? Not all of them do it, but I've read about various games offering those options. Tomb Raider comes to mind...

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano Great - Spend $500 on a console mid generation upgrade for games to maybe be supported (Which is the same issue on PS4 Pro) just to access some graphics options that should be on the basic platform anyway, on a platform ecosystem with barely any exclusive that you can play on a PC that'll have a longer library life and gets all those games for the entirely real possibility of better performance than even that offered on the Xbox One X.

What an absolutely maddening value proposition. I can't see why anyone would in any way think that's a dumb deal.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic