Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,921 to 11,940 of 69,952

Haruki_NLI

@DefHalan I think the problem folk have is your asking for more games to be announced, while disregarding E3 around the corner.

Thats just my take on it

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

the graph shows Switch had releases last year which I am pretty sure that didn't happen. It also doesn't show the increase of software on the 3DS from last year when they weren't supporting the Wii U, which I believe you brought up.

As @Octane said it's an area chart, you're reading it wrong. It probably would have been easier to read as a bar chart though to be fair... time is continuous and in my head it didn't make sense to use a discrete graph to chart it. But in any case, both of the things you're talking about can be seen in the chart if you read it correctly.

DefHalan wrote:

I have said this many times, there isn't as much software as I expected. That doesn't mean there is no software. Also Nintendo is back loading the year, minimum software releases throughout the year, then a dump in the holiday (if all the announced games make it in this year, how many times was Xenoblade Chronicles X delayed?) So it will be difficult for them to announce something and release it without stepping on the toes of all the games they are releasing in the second half of the year. So I doubt we will see new game announcements for 2017 releases, most likely push them to next year.

The second half of the year is always packed. Actually, just for the hell of it lets crunch some numbers again. If you exclude the Wii U's launch year and this year? The most releases the Wii U got were in the last three months on the year. Or to put it another way, the median over those four years...

Q1: ~0.4 games/mo
Q2: ~0.6 games/mo
Q3: ~0.1 games/mo
Q4: ~1.6 games/mo

As it stands this is how Nintendo published games are looking like for the Switch thus far:
Q1: ~1.0 game/mo
Q2: ~0.6 game/mo
Q3: ~0.6 games/mo
Q4: ~0.6 games/mo

Far from packed. There's plenty of room for another two or three games in that last quarter before they're even matching what the Wii U got. And dare I suggest that the Wii U is not a high bar to reach.

edit: another point to make...

DefHalan wrote:

Switch started on the graph in 2016 way above the bottom line. Switch didn't have releases in 2016, or the graph is unclear on what it means.

The numbers for each system are stacked ontop of each other. If they were not stacked you wouldn't be able to see anything much at all. It's done that way so that you can easily see:
1. The trends for each individual system
2. The totals for different categories (i.e. did home consoles get more games?)
3. The overall trends for total published releases

Untitled

It's not that hard to read.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Ryu_Niiyama

@BLP_Software Very true and I do agree. I can't physically use VR so I'm a little bit jealous of this game. I think it would be cool if the VR games had a non VR component. Sort of like some kinetic games that still allow for controller input. VR feels like it could get away with that more than motion since, to me, feels like an enhanced first person viewpoint which could be viewed normally. Although even if I had two eyes the price for admission doesn't seem to have a good ROI right now.

@DefHalan Thank you for taking this to an unnecessary extreme (the gratitude is sarcastic in nature). I was speaking to general gamer culture, that makes everything about them and life and death over a hobby. Also I was playing off a comment that BLP made that I found both truthful and funny. I realize tone doesn't always translate in text but I'm fairly certain my words could only be construed as me being sarcastic. Also, are you only capable of developing games? Programing languages do translate to numerous other endeavors, so I am fairly certain that if you are good at what you do that even if the industry tanked overnight you would find a way to pay your bills. Same with art and narrative direction (I don't know what it is that you do). You might not like it of course (no one likes not utilizing their talents to the fullest or doing what they want/dreamed of) but honestly many, many people get through life doing jobs they weren't trained/educated for because they have to survive. shrugs

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Peek-a-boo

There was a post here, it's gone now. I deleted it. Not worth the effort!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

DefHalan

@skywake So we are comparing Switch and Wii U to be about even during the holidays, which wasn't good for the Wii U but ot is good for Switch?

@BLP_Software I fully expect 2018 titles to be announced at E3 and delays to be announced at E3. New 2017 titles might be a bit for a stretch but I am totally open to Nintendo surprising me.

@Ryu_Niiyama I am a Level Designer. Which can go into other industries but people are far less likely to hire a Game Designer in other industries. I don't know enough programming or art to make it with those talents. Sorry for taking it to an extreme, just wanted to point out that even if "it is just a game" to some people, doesn't make it not important to others.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Ryu_Niiyama

@KirbyTheVampire Welp, I won't be buying this then. See that is my issue about people clamoring for ports. On one hand it is old content so the consumer feels that the pricing should depreciate along with the current market value of the other versions. Yet I do understand from a dev perspective that time and payroll hours were put into porting this game. So then the toss up for me is do I think that time spent is worth paying more for a (technically) old product. Unfortunately for me for this game the answer is no. Capcom is going to get a day one purchase from me for USFIIHD though.

@skywake Hmm I didn't realize the wii had such a steady decline and the wiiu situation doesn't seem as desolate with that perspective. Granted I'm still working on Color Splash so it was sort of a moot point for me anyway.

@DefHalan I understand what you were trying to do but I think you chose a poor post to make that distinction. Granted my language was intentionally sarcastic, however not equating something to life and death doesn't mean that it isn't important AT ALL merely that it isn't the end of the world for anyone. Perspective is key here. I try to use words with correct intent when speaking. If I say life for death I mean there are people that honestly act as if they will die if gaming doesn't go a certain way... they won't. I was using sarcasm but speaking using literal language, not hyperbolic language. Sarcasm doesn't equate to hyperbolic language and the two are often conflated. Since you brought your livelihood into this, even you losing a job from an OBJECTIVE (I am emphasizing this so you understand I'm not wishing this upon you nor would I feel nothing if this happened to you) perspective isn't the end of the world as people get fired or change jobs daily. However humans are very resilient and they pick themselves up and keep going. You've acknowledged that your skillset could transfer. You may want to improve upon it but you could go on. So you piggybacking my comment doesn't seem to convey your original intent. Granted most from the hip comments rarely do. It seems like you saw my comment, took my sarcasm to an extreme that was neither stated nor implied, but rather assumed by you and offered a rebuttal. My point aside from joking with BLP was that perspective is often lost. Not that games are meaningless (why would I play them otherwise), just not the meaning that many people attempt to ascribe to it. Ah well another day on the internet right?

So are you indie or with a major dev? Just asking you don't have to say which one of course. Just wondering if I've played a game you've had a hand in.

Also is anyone else still on the fence about MK8Deluxe? I have the wiiu version and all the dlc and I ADORE the switch but I don't know if that is reason enough to buy the game again.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

DefHalan

@Ryu_Niiyama I was just pointing it out. I knew you were being sarcastic but with this being an internet forum, I felt like pointing it out. Lol

I was QA until November last year at a small indie company, but I did get to test a few Nindie treasures. Now I am a Level Designer at an even smaller indie company, I have only worked on mobile titles and the only thing of my creation in the wideworld is late games levels in an update of a single mobile game. I do have another app that I did a lot more design work coming out soon, but I doubt most people here would be interested in it.

I know when I do get the Switch, I probably won't get Mario Kart 8, I have played it a lot on the Wii U and have zero interest in Battle Mode.

Ryu_Niiyama

^ Cool! I have zero interest in creating games personally (I can't deal with gamer culture on a professional level and I've heard a number of horror stories that have put me off) but I respect the work it takes to make a game. I always love to read the credits in games to see how many people gave a bit of themselves to give me some form of entertainment. I have a little bit of a programing background (went to school for astrophysics and you have to wear a lot of hats) that I've had to build on that in my current job (not in astrophysics much to my dismay). I wish you the best in your work!

Yeah I feel the same about MK8Deluxe. I think I'm trying to justify a needless purchase. I have too many games as is...My switch already has a backlog for crying out loud.

...sorry, as you can see if you offer a rebuttal to me directly, that I don't agree with or I feel requires a response from me I will offer a return argument. All positive ki and straightforwardness behind it though! I just (as my walls of text show) like to converse (intelligently if not with a bit of sarcasm) with others. Likely in part because I'm practically a mute at work.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ProjectX1991

So I've turned my switch on to find that the screen is flickering lightly all down the left edge, bottom and top corners of the screen. I've turned it on and off but nothing....I'm so gutted. No idea what to do!

ProjectX1991

NEStalgia

@DefHalan I think looking for more than 9 games in a 10 month window from a single publisher is pretty extreme, both from a development perspective and a business perspective. Especially considering prime buying time all lands in the last quarter, that strands a lot of product with dead shelf time. From a dev perspective 9 games for release in that window is pretty big. From a business perspective, it's pretty packed. For a launch console that's great considering of those 9 games, only ONE of them is a port from a prior system (MK8 Deluxe) the rest are original content or full sequels. It also doesn't include 3rd party exclusives like SMTV, DQXI, DQH, and I don't remember if you included FE Warriors in your list or not as 1st party published or if you consider that 3P.

It's a little presumptuous to guess that games will be delayed for 2017. Not unreasonable, but to be basing the debate on what you assume rather than what we know is a little bit of cart before the horse syndrome. We really don't know if those dates are for Japan or the West yet, it's possible. But we're also talking about the known list pre-E3. Even if Nintendo doesn't announce anything new (but they will, they'll go into at minimum first half of 2018, which right now we know nothing and Jan-Feb is still launch year), but even if they don't we don't know what third party announcements there will be.

It's a little early to talk about a lack of games 3 weeks after launch when supplies are still impossible to find, out of console gaming season, during the wind-down of the old console, and before E3 when every company actually announces games. We have Ubisoft actively querying customers about their interest levels in Switch ports. We don't know all of what goes on in the background.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ProjectX1991 Flickering as in backlight, or flickering as in actual rendered output is showing random pixels?

Did you try rebooting? Not just sleep which suspends the memory state but actual rebooting where you press and hold the power button until the power options menu comes up. From there you can either shut down (power off) or reboot (or restart, however they word it) instead of sleep? If that fixes it it was a software glitch. If that does't fix it...then it might be hardware

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@DefHalan WiiU DID have good software support the first few years. The pacing of releases made it look bad (thus not front loading switch's launch.) 2015 was a banner year for WiiU. It had good software rollouts, and compared to early PS4, excellent software rollouts. Software wasn't it's problem. It was bad press, bad marketing, and specific bad press regarding certain third parties combined with the bad marketing that made it a commercial failure even if it was a well supported platform until the past 2 years. Remember the early WiiU years when WiiU unloaded tons and tons of E3 new games announcements while Microsoft had Kinektimals and some DLC? Nintendo looked like the big winner. The problem is WiiU launched when the industry was moving to PC-architecture-only, and they never got the memo. They thought they joined the fray only to find everyone was just waiting for PS4/XBone to land so they could ignore everything not PC (those two are just PCs. Bad ones, but PCs...) So WiiU suddenly became ignored. Switch isn't x86, but Tegra is almost 1:1 instruction compatible so you can more or less cross compile after some minor architecture changes. Not that every company wants to do much business with Nintendo, they don't, even if Nitnendo just released a big beige box Dell and slapped a Nintendo sticker on the lid. But it opens more doors than it closes which leads to a healthier ecosystem, maybe not from EA and Activision, but for a lot of other companies.

@Ryu_Niiyama Undecided on MK8 myself....I've never been a HUGE Mk fan to begin with, so buying it twice seems like it won't get much use. OTOH the Switch hardware presents some fun uses for he game. And I'm wondering if t would be best as one of the few retail digital games I'd ever consider buying.

NEStalgia

DefHalan

@NEStalgia For a normal year for Nintendo, this is about par what I have come to expect. The issue is, this isn't a normal year. This is console launch year with last year being pretty empty by most people's standards. Because of those two factors I think lack of software is a valid point. I think it being 3 weeks into the system release and knowing we aren't getting anything else for over a month is kinda bad too. I expected releases to be spread out but not two months between console release and next big game release (and how big of a deal is Mario Kart 8 again, that can be debated but that is a different conversation for a different time) It might be a little pessimistic expecting delays but I would rather expect delays and them not happen, then to expect to be playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Christmas and then have it taken away. Delays happen all the time for games, Zelda was delayed like crazy. Star Fox Zero was even delayed. I am not too focused on 3rd Party stuff right now, since most of it doesn't seem too impressive. The exclusives you mentioned are even really exclusives are they? DQXI is coming to PS4 and 3DS and DQH is already out on other platforms. (according to Wikipedia)

Wii U had a lot of problems. A lot of problems. You can't boil it down to just one because I think it was kinda a perfect storm of failure. So many things messed up the Wii U that it couldn't recover. And because of that, I think Switch should be making Wii U numbers look like a joke. Nintendo needed to come out strong but instead they came out Zelda-ing. The only impressive thing with the Switch from now until... who knows, is Zelda. Splatoon 2 or Arms I am not sure will be the Switch's next big thing but I would be glad to be proved wrong. The Switch isn't selling because of the product release being strong, the Switch is selling because Zelda is that freaking strong. Will the Switch be able to stand on its own, especially if they don't have another Zelda type big release on it? I doubt it, but I am willing and would love to be proved wrong.

KirbyTheVampire

Splatoon 2 testfire was incredibly fun. I wasn't sure how I'd like the gyro, but it felt really natural after I got the hang of it.

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault

I got about 3 complete matches in - all others were disconnects and such at various times, but hey, that's what this is for.

I still just can't bring myself to use the gyro controls. I tried them on Wii U for a bit, and I'm just better going twin sticks. I know it's technically slower, but it's the way I'm programmed I think lol

Anyway, wicked fun! I LOVE the dualies and all the mobility you get with rolling around. I like the jetpack ult, too. Was very fun!

rallydefault

rallydefault

@FGPackers
That's good! Where are you playing from? I'm U.S. East Coast.

I got probably...gosh... 10-12 disconnects.

rallydefault

BigBadJohn

I'm in the uk and got 3 disconnects total. The rest was steady as you like. Cracking game but didn't feel much different from the original, not that that's a bad thing.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic