Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,941 to 11,960 of 69,963

rallydefault

@FGPackers @BigBadJohn
Cool, cool. Yea - like I said, the disconnects don't surprise me, and I live in the most congested area of the U.S.

I know it's not my wireless - my Switch's connection is nice and smooth, same with my PC. It'll be interesting to see how the subsequent testfires play out.

rallydefault

IceClimbers

That was a ton of fun. Only had a couple disconnects and ended the session with a winning record. I haven't played the first game in ages so I figured I'd be rusty and started with the Splattershot. Wasn't rusty at all! Used the Splat Dualies and they are SO MUCH FUN. Love the rolling feature, as it's gotten me a few kills (and avoided getting splatted myself), and it allows for some faster maneuvering around corners when trying to cover turf in the final seconds.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

BigBadJohn

@rallydefault I didn't do the testfire for the original game so I was expecting it to be proper laggy and lots of disconnects but like I say it held up really well. I'm not sure about playing in handheld using gyros though. At one point I was holding my Switch above my head trying to get some sod on a bridge. Look a proper fool doing that in public.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Farmboy74

Splatoon test fire was good fun, gyro controls for aiming are for me going to take time to get use to. Discovered I pretty good with the roller absolutely awful with the sniper rifle. Roll on tomorrow morning session near lunch time.

Farmboy74

KirbyTheVampire

I'm from Canada, and played with wired connection and only had 1 disconnect. Sounds like some people had really bad disconnection issues, which is a bummer.

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault

@FGPackers
Yea, I usually connect my consoles instead of wireless. But honestly, I don't know how much I'll be playing my Switch online, so I'll probably just keep it wireless for now.

rallydefault

FGPackers

By the way if this are the servers paying for online will be fine to me. It went just perfect. Can't wait to try voice chat!!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Haruki_NLI

Didnt go well for me. Only had two full none disconnecting matches. Bit concerning.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@DefHalan It's what you expect in a normal year from Nintendo based on what criteria? Based on the WiiU? We're already excelling over the WiiU. Based on 3DS and Wii? Dev times and costs are way way shorter for those platforms. That's the big HD roadblock that torpedoed WiiU. The yearly release schedule for WiiU is Nintendo's "normal" output for HD. WHich means a year with a number of good games then a year with next to nothing, then another two good games, then 8 months with nothing. If you're basing Nintendo normal output quantity on SD and sub-SD platforms that's a dead argument before it begins. Switch already does have a lot more content than the past.

It should be noted it's not just Nintendo. Years ago the director of Assassin's Creed, speaking for Ubisoft addressed a GDC question that he sees the future of AAA as focusing all resources and efforts on maybe 2-3 franchises for each major publisher and paring back on most other content. He was right. Ubi actually has a lot of content and followed that pattern the least (but their quality is questionable often enough), EA really has about 4 franchises and that's it. Activision has done the same. Quantity versus the past has been and will continue to be pared back across the entire industry versus the past because of the resources required for each product.

So 9 games in 10 months may be what you expect from Nintendo, but that certainly isn't from the HD era Nintedo that was lucky to have 5 games in 12 months on a good year. That's pushing it for most major devs. Sure PS4 is having a banner year, but it's their FIRST banner year since console launch in what will be 4 years ago by the time the banner year is done.

Maybe you wanted to see more year 1 first party AAA games on Switch, but I'm still not sure that was ever a reasonable expectation. Even Sony would struggle mightily to put out more content than that (and failed, majorly to put out even close to that content in their own launch year.) WiiU was a console that never had the games ready in the beinning. Everything they worked on 4 years ago was what released in the past 2. Switch starts from scratch a year or two ago. You keep talking about this backlog of games they should have ready to go, but by the time they got done finishing up the WiiU games they had already promised and started at WiiU launch, that left us at this point 1-2 years into development of Switch games. Getting back to a "normal" release schedule IS the big payoff. They haven't been there in 4 years. And with 3DS winding down that moves more resources into the pool moving forward to keep that pace going without the huge gaps we've experienced.

All that being said, I have to get some Zelda in and work on Blaster Master Zero before the Splatoon demo all before Has-Been Heroes, Snakepass, and my physical import of Setsuna all arrive next week for my Nintendo Switch that allegedly has no content, lest the backlog become too great

NEStalgia

IceClimbers

@NEStalgia I'd have to agree there. With Wii U and 3DS they were really thrown off. They didn't prepare properly for the 3DS launch and after it's disastrous start they went into emergency mode with their development resources to get the 3DS off the ground, negatively impacting the Wii U in the process. At that same time they had to go through the same struggles with learning HD development that the rest of the industry had already gone through. Nintendo got thrown into a pendulum swing between the two systems as a result.

Now they're finally out of that and can return to a normal dev cycle.

DefHalan

@NEStalgia based on competition. As established before, last year Microsoft put out 8 games and Sony put out about 20 for their home consoles (some people don't want to include PSVR even though they are PS4 games and PSVR is an accessory, so then it would be about 12) However keep in mind that Nintendo relies more on their 1st party content while the other two rely on 3rd party content.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

BigBadJohn

I've been reading all this chatter about how many games one platform release in a year versus how many another releases and I cant help thinking your missing the point. Surely the most important thing is quality. Don't get me wrong I'm crazy for the switch and at the moment I know that the Big N could really take advantage of me by releasing any old crud game with a Switch sticker on it and I'd probably buy it. The thing is Nintendo have a great reputation for releasing quality games so I'm happy for them to take their time and release stuff when its ready. I'm not going to slag off any specific publisher but we've all played games that where rushed out that are so full of bugs it makes them borderline unplayable.

On a more serious note when are Nintendo going to announce Animal Crossing Switch? If they dont hurry up Im going to dust off my pitchfork and storm the gates!

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Jhena

Honestly i would starve with only Nintendo. But then again i would starve with only one of the other platforms either. Even PC. Theres just to much great stuff scattered. Nintendo switch feels pretty much like the end of wii u (didnt buy it when first released) right now. Waiting like a half year for a new game. So im accastumed to it and can live with it. But i dont aprove.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

DefHalan

@BigBadJohn Quality vs Quanity argument is valid, I just propose Quality and Quanity. Just because you have one doesn't mean you can't have the other. And it isn't like I was expecting a new game every week

canucksfan989

@DefHalan Off topic a little bit but apply that to the fast food industry and no you can't have quality and quantity making 100s of burgers a day there will be a few crappy ones that get sent back and a few that people are thinking about taking back but don't want to bother doing it. Sure the majority of burgers are fine but doing that much quantity you will have some that don't have the same quality as the others.

canucksfan989

DefHalan

@canucksfan989 And that is fine. Variety of amount of quality is a given no matter what. Nintendo can also do smaller games and bigger games. There is no reason why every retail release has to be Breath of the Wild big and quality. Sometimes you get Mario Sports games, Box Box Boy, Dillion's Rolling Western, or Star Fox Zero. Different amounts of quality, but with more teams, maybe Nintendo could increase their quantity. Not every game needs to have Miyamoto overseeing it

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

@skywake So we are comparing Switch and Wii U to be about even during the holidays, which wasn't good for the Wii U but ot is good for Switch?

You can't have it both ways. You said this:

DefHalan wrote:

So it will be difficult for them to announce something and release it without stepping on the toes of all the games they are releasing in the second half of the year. So I doubt we will see new game announcements for 2017 releases, most likely push them to next year.

Which is why I posted this. Wii U median release rates per quarter:
Q1: ~0.4 games/mo
Q2: ~0.6 games/mo
Q3: ~0.1 games/mo
Q4: ~1.6 games/mo

vs what the Switch is currently sitting on:
Q1: ~1.0 game/mo
Q2: ~0.6 game/mo
Q3: ~0.6 games/mo
Q4: ~0.6 games/mo

Once again, Wii U median:
Q4: ~1.6 games/mo

Switch as it is:
Q4: ~0.6 games/mo

You said:

DefHalan wrote:

it will be difficult for them to announce something and release it without stepping on the toes of all the games they are releasing in the second half of the year.

BS! The Wii U was seen as a platform with no games. Even it had a more packed Q4 on a regular basis. That was my post, I wasn't comparing the Wii U to the Switch and arguing that the Switch is good because it's doing better. I was saying that there's room for a few more releases in Q4 without them "stepping on the toes of all the games" because the Wii U had more content on average in that quarter. Do I need to spell everything out for you?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@skywake No, I just don't read walls of text very often, and just skim for whatever catches my eye. I like how my comments about pure speculation is coming down to numbers. Ok, Wii U had more 1st party games released during the holiday season, and somehow, me expecting more games on the Switch is crazy talk... got it. So now I know that lol

IceClimbers

Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 (assuming it isn't delayed) are the only games they have scheduled for the 2nd half of the year. Splatoon 2 may very well release in June (or maybe even May if they swap it with ARMS, which is "Spring"). Regardless, there's plenty of space for a few games in there. How about, say, Smash Bros Deluxe, some other game, and Pokemon Stars?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic