Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 2,210

darkfenrir

Those are really huge amount! D:

Hmmmm I guess I have to see depending on how much I spend... Thank you for the answer!

darkfenrir

FX102A

Decided to buy Oceanhorn; at 00:02 by which time the sales ended. Oh well back to Doom.

FX102A

ThomGee

How is Yooka-Laylee on the Switch? Thinking of buying it, but I don't know how good the porting went.

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

Magic1636

So I just purchased a Switch yesterday along with Breath of the Wild. I know that I’m eventually going to be adding Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2. Is there any other recommendations out there? I was thinking Pokken Tournament DX and some games off the EShop but I’m not certain what to get from there.

Magic1636

Switch Friend Code: SW-7296-5752-0023

darkfenrir

@Magic1636 Well it also depends on what genre do you like, so for example if you like JRPG, you can try the Lost Sphear and Octopath Traveler demo for example on eshop. (or if you want, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is really great for a JRPG!)

There's also Snipperclips for just fun, or something like Stardew Valley for Harvest Moon feel... I hear Rocket League is great, as well as Steamworld Dig 2.

darkfenrir

Imerzion

Trying to decide on my next purchase for the Switch, I'm a little conflicted at the moment between Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Both completely different types of games.

At the moment, all I've got is Breath of the Wild, which is a fantastic game, one that I'm yet to finish but I feel like I need something in between. I also have I am Setsuna, which I'm on the verge of finishing as far as I'm aware, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I haven't really played a competitive shooter since Call of Duty Black Ops 3 was released. I do miss competitive games, but at the same time, I do enjoy getting lost in a big open world, which is leaving me a little hesitant in which way to go with this.

Also - just to add, I never played the original Splatoon, so I don't particularly know what to go in expecting, nor did I play the first Xenoblade Chronicles game.

Opinions please?

Switch Friend Code: SW-5926-6203-0027

darkfenrir

@Imerzion Considering my biases, I would vote for Xenoblade Chronicles- but this'll probably end up:

What do you expect for your next game? Do you want to get lost in a world? Do you want to feel the competitiveness?

Do you want single player experience? Multiplayer?

Do you want to play together with friends?

I mean you can say that "I can put the itch for open world with BotW" and then go to Splatoon. To be honest I would say Splatoon though for your case- just so you can play it in conjunction with BotW, and probably try to grab XC2 in the future (Although not sure how that situation will be though, hopefully no sudden stock scarcity)

darkfenrir

Imerzion

@darkfenrir

Thanks for the input - that's the problem, I'm not entirely sure what I want at the moment, both games excite me for different reasons, I like the thought of getting lost in a completely different world just as much as I like the idea of just popping on and having a few competitive matches against other people.

I don't believe that I'd end up playing Splatoon with others as I know no one personally that owns a Switch so I'd be playing Splatoon online solo. But that also worries me, will it become a little tedious over time.

Also willing to pick up something completely different entirely as I stated before, I've only got the two games on the Switch at the moment, so any other suggestions are appreciated.

darkfenrir

@Imerzion
Hmmm, I mean I'm sure it'll still be fun, but I think it'll be more fun if you can play it with others (?) Then again my thoughts are never really aligned to the thought of "this game is fun by playing it online with others".

Well, if you want to try expanding your repertoire, there's some other games, there's Stardew Valley for the Harvest Moon feel, Mighty Gunvolt (not sure for this one since I never tried), Pokken isn't so bad either from the demo, and then there's Steamworld Dig 2 (Solo and mighty better than the 1st one I hear? Although the story seems to be a sequel to the first one and prequel to the Heist). And then there's Skyrim, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem Warriors, all great game, just depends on what you want to play.

darkfenrir

Imerzion

@darkfenrir

Thanks again, - I actually own Stardew Valley on PC, which is a fantastic game, I've put around 300 hours into it since it first released and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I played Steamworld Dig on the VITA, enjoyed that and have bought the second on the Switch over the holidays but I'm not really in the mood to start on that one as of yet!

Mighty Gunvolt, thanks for the suggestion, but doesn't really look like that's my kinda thing, and Resident Evil, I've also played them, along with Skyrim and don't feel like they entice me enough to double dip into them unfortunately!

Fire Emblem, oh how I wish that game followed the original formula on the 3DS, if it did, that would have been an instant purchase for me, I'm a little unsure about the Warriors, but not looked into it enough, perhaps I'll look closer into that!

Tiny Metal has been catching my eye on the eShop a little, so I might actually end up throwing my money into that and leaving the others for the time being - too much selection!

Thanks for the suggestions never the less!

Edited on by Imerzion

darkfenrir

@Imerzion No problem! I forgot to put in Tiny Metal myself even though it looks good!

Have fun with your choice

darkfenrir

Magic1636

@darkfenrir thank you for the suggestions. Also just one more of you don’t mind. My wife really isn’t into gaming but I was wanting to get something that we could play together. I know that Snipperclips seem to be a popular choice for co-op gaming. Is there any other suggestions that you may have?

Magic1636

Switch Friend Code: SW-7296-5752-0023

darkfenrir

@Magic1636 Hmmm other than Snipperclips, I do hear that Overcooked is good as well, and from what I see Nine Parchments seems interesting too to play together. And Bomberman R for the ol' classic of course!

darkfenrir

BAN

@Octane Hey why the hell did you lock my thread????? This one is not even remotely similar or helpful. At all. That’s why I made a much more specific one. It hurts no one to leave that up, and in the contrary people were having fun with it.

Moreover, that thread is literally the only one I’ve ever started in my 5+ years of visiting this site. I’m not exactly a serial forum spammer, here. It was a legitimate question and was important to me. But you had to lock it because there’s one that’s mildly tangentially related? So no one can ever make a thread about a specific Switch game because this mega-thread about Switch games in general- that is now so large it’s rendered useless- happens to exist? I love when people forget that being a moderator is something you volunteer for and start acting like it’s their life-or-death duty and they need to find stuff to do so they can justify their tiny slice of power. Thanks for ruining my day, man. Nice way to start the new year.

Edited on by BAN

BAN

Octane

@BAN This isn't a general thread about Switch games. The very reason for this thread is so people can ask for game recommendations for the Nintendo Switch. It's to prevent the countless, 'should I buy this?' or 'this game or that game?' threads.

If you're looking for the Axiom Verge thread or the Cave Story + thread, they already exist; here and here respectively.

Octane

BAN

@Octane It’s not even remotely the same. It’s significantly more than a “should I buy this” thread, it’s a specific discussion about the comparison of those two specific games based on THOSE TWO SPECIFIC GAMES. It’s supposed to be a fun discussion for metroidvania fans to debate the merits of two extremely popular contemporary examples of the genre, not just a flippant Q and A about “which one is better”. The question in my initial post- which you are clearly caught up on- is less about getting a binary answer to the question and MUCH more about fostering an interesting conversation that deserves to exist as more than a blip of an afterthought in some other massive thread about something else. It has tangible merit as its own standalone thread without having to dig through mountains of erroneous unrelated posts to get to the relevant discussion, which won’t actually happen within some other random hodgepodge thread, and people were already replying to it in-depth and enjoying it.

It doesn’t hurt anything to leave that thread up. And all you’re doing by “preventing” certain individual threads is shifting that data over into a massive tangled up web of a thread that becomes more and more pointless with each new topic that gets rolled into it. No one will look at it, no one will reply to it. People ignore it because it’s monstrous and unwieldy. But hey, glad I decided to have some fun and post what would probably be the only thread I’ll ever post on this site. Thanks for reminding me of the reason that I keep having to stop visiting this site: ridiculous mods with a Dwight Schrute-ish obsession with proving their importance by making sure we don’t have too many discussions about video games... on a site about video games.

BAN

Octane

@BAN I'm not allowed to discuss moderation issues in public, and I don't want to derail this thread either. If you have any issues, please use the contact form to contact us directly.

Octane

BAN

@Octane I did. Or you could, you know, be a decent person and look past your narrow reading of my topic and unlock it? Not like there aren’t thousands of irrelevant/wasteful threads on this forum that have nothing to do with gaming (the chit chat thread? seriously?) and pointless ones that are barely related at all (my Wii U game pad is broken!!! help I need emotional support because I’m sad from the ending in xenoblade!!!). It’s depressing that I can’t have a meaningful discussion about a completely pertinent topic but droves of idiotic threads about random musings and ramblings are allowed to remain unlocked. It’s stupid and you know it, but clearly you’re just going to double down.

Edited on by BAN

BAN

Scrummer

@BAN Please Stop

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

BAN

@Scrummer No thanks. I’m not the one who started it. Please mind your own business.

BAN

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic