Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 15,210

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I can't really say she was mean (like I said just a little naggy), but it's a Zelda game. There aren't that many cutscenes or storytelling moments, so there was very little time for any personality to come out.

I felt like most of her narrative was all tell and no show. Most of the time when she wasn't nagging Link, she was making googly eyes with him and going on about how they were childhood friends and how much she liked him etc. It felt like the developers never tried to show me many likable traits. The only thing I can think of is when the told off Groose when he was taunting Link. And for me, that just wasn't enough.

I'd argue Elena from Pandora's Tower is a lot close to what Zelda should have been. From the beginning of the game, she is oozing with all kinds of emotions. You actually don't learn about her history with Aeron (the protagonist) until several dungeons into the game. Instead, her dialogue is dedicated to making her seem sweet and optimistic.

So... you prefer dependent, submissive women? Is what I'm getting from this.

Where did you get that from? I like fictional love interests to take initiative themselves, be kind, modest, and considerate, possibly to a fault (not all of them, but in regards to the type of characters we are talking about, that's the best description of my preferences). The problem with Zelda is the game never really showed you the initiative she took, it just told you about it. Zelda may have been kind and caring, but the game really didn't flesh out that part of the character well. Most of the exposition was reminiscing about her past with Link, who I don't really think of as much of his own character, but a standin that I can project myself onto.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dezzy

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I can't really say she was mean (like I said just a little naggy), but it's a Zelda game. There aren't that many cutscenes or storytelling moments, so there was very little time for any personality to come out.

I felt like most of her narrative was all tell and no show. Most of the time when she wasn't nagging Link, she was making googly eyes with him and going on about how they were childhood friends and how much she liked him etc. It felt like the developers never tried to show me many likable traits. The only thing I can think of is when the told off Groose when he was taunting Link. And for me, that just wasn't enough.

I'd argue Elena from Pandora's Tower is a lot close to what Zelda should have been. From the beginning of the game, she is oozing with all kinds of emotions. You actually don't learn about her history with Aeron (the protagonist) until several dungeons into the game. Instead, her dialogue is dedicated to making her seem sweet and optimistic.

This is like the stereotype of internet replies.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

This is like the stereotype of internet replies.

maybe because I sadly never got to Pandora's Tower (only explanation I have) but I don't even understand it? Also, I'm getting flashbacks of the people who said I hated character depth because I thought Other M's writing sucks. Ugh.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Hendesu

I wish that Link could talk in Zelda U. It would be a nice change in the franchise.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

-Green-

@NightmareEater: It would kind of go against everything Link represents, so I doubt we'll ever here him talk again.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Hendesu

@Aromaiden: I honestly don't see why Link talking is going against the franchise. It's something that people been wanting for some time.

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

iKhan

NightmareEater wrote:

I honestly don't see why Link talking is going against the franchise. It's something that people been wanting for some time.

The player is supposed to be able to project him or herself onto Link easily. That's why Link doesn't really have a significant personality, and the personality he does have isn't particularly deviant.

Talking would undermine that.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

-Green-

iKhan wrote:

NightmareEater wrote:

I honestly don't see why Link talking is going against the franchise. It's something that people been wanting for some time.

The player is supposed to be able to project him or herself onto Link easily. That's why Link doesn't really have a significant personality, and the personality he does have isn't particularly deviant.

Talking would undermine that.

Right on the nose. He's supposed to represent the Link between the player and the world. Which is why his name is Link.

-Green-

Another cool that I would like to see in the next Zelda game is a more interesting villain. A villain that feels unique and memorable. Ganondorf is a cool villain, but I found him sort of cliche and dull. I on the other hand loved Ghirahim as a villain. I found him interesting and very entertaining, but at the same time intimidating. He is perhaps one of the best Villains in the whole Zelda franchise.

One of the problems I have with Zelda, is that it tends to have normal villainous characters and they all sort of feel the same (except characters like Ghirahim and I also recall a very interesting villain in TP, but I can't remember his name). So it would be very interesting if they added a bit more depth and variety to the antagonist, and in my personal opinion, would prefer for them not to use Ganondorf unless they gave him a bit more detail and depth.

Edited on by -Green-

jump

Aromaiden wrote:

I also recall a very interesting villain in TP, but I can't remember his name.

Zant? I thought he looked cool with the weird mask thing but generally I was a bit meh at him. I'd rank Vaati and Skull Kid as my favourite Zelda baddies as Ganondorf is so over done at this point but I did really like the Wind Waker take of him.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

CM30

I always thought Zelda did pretty well with the unique villains. I mean yeah, you sometimes get something like Bellum or Malladus, which has absolutely no personality. But then you get the likes of Majora, Vaati, Ghirahim, etc, and most of them don't really behave much like Ganon does.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

professorOak

I disagree, and think they really should use Ganon again. For being the "main villain" of the series, Ganon's only been the final boss of less than half of the games, and Ganondorf himself has only been in 3 games: OOT, WW, and TP. We haven't had Ganon himself as a final boss since Twilight Princess, and people are claiming he's "overdone?"

I've actually gotten kind of sick of all the one-shot villains, and would like a return to Ganon. It would be nice to see them flesh Ganon out more. I really liked how they handled him in both TP and MM. It's only in the games where he's already Ganon and in OOT where he was kind of more dull.

Also I really want there to be a more personal connection to Ganondorf this time as well, as people have been theorizing for a while ever since that trailer, what with Link wearing what seems to be Gerudo patterns on his clothing and all.

Nintendo Network ID: JibbahJabbahwock

Grumblevolcano

I'd want some of the "one-shot" villains to return, I liked Ghirahim and Zant's usage in Hyrule Warriors for example though I understand that would be pretty much impossible due to the timeline. On a side note, I think Toon Ganondorf and Toon Link will be playable in Hyrule Warriors because of the Wind Waker story content in the 3DS version.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

professorOak wrote:

I disagree, and think they really should use Ganon again. For being the "main villain" of the series, Ganon's only been the final boss of less than half of the games, and Ganondorf himself has only been in 3 games: OOT, WW, and TP. We haven't had Ganon himself as a final boss since Twilight Princess, and people are claiming he's "overdone?"

I've actually gotten kind of sick of all the one-shot villains, and would like a return to Ganon. It would be nice to see them flesh Ganon out more. I really liked how they handled him in both TP and MM. It's only in the games where he's already Ganon and in OOT where he was kind of more dull.

Also I really want there to be a more personal connection to Ganondorf this time as well, as people have been theorizing for a while ever since that trailer, what with Link wearing what seems to be Gerudo patterns on his clothing and all.

I don't treat Ganon and Ganondorf as seperate characters since they are the same person, so it's 6-8 out of 16 where's he's the final boss which to me is alot.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

professorOak

Yeah, to me 8/16 is very low for someone who's supposed to be the third aspect of the trio. He should have as much impact and appearances as Link and Zelda, but he doesn't. I really liked it when they started fleshing him out beyond the basic Ganon "Evil Monster Lord" thing and giving us Ganondorf, and I'd prefer they continue giving us more insight into him and continue fleshing him out or giving us different looks at him, as we have so many alternative interpretations of Link and Zelda. I'd rather the series play around with Ganondorf more than give us another one-shot villain who is really just another Not-Ganon, like half the one-shots have been.

Granted, I do really like some of the one-shots, like Skull Kid and Ghirahim and all. But you can still add new villains while continuing to expand on Ganondorf. Twilight Princess was pretty good with that in my opinion by giving us Zant in addition to Ganondorf. But in any case, as said, we haven't seen him since TP. He's overdue to appear again!

Edited on by professorOak

Nintendo Network ID: JibbahJabbahwock

jump

professorOak wrote:

Yeah, to me 8/16 is very low for someone who's supposed to be the third aspect of the trio. He should have as much impact and appearances as Link and Zelda, but he doesn't. I really liked it when they started fleshing him out beyond the basic Ganon "Evil Monster Lord" thing and giving us Ganondorf, and I'd prefer they continue giving us more insight into him and continue fleshing him out or giving us different looks at him, as we have so many alternative interpretations of Link and Zelda. I'd rather the series play around with Ganondorf more than give us another one-shot villain who is really just another Not-Ganon, like half the one-shots have been.

Granted, I do really like some of the one-shots, like Skull Kid and Ghirahim and all. But you can still add new villains while continuing to expand on Ganondorf. Twilight Princess was pretty good with that in my opinion by giving us Zant in addition to Ganondorf. But in any case, as said, we haven't seen him since TP. He's overdue to appear again!

The problem is whilst Zelda and Link are different characters every game Ganon isn't, they've given him a back story, give him a (sort of)sympathetic view point and given him as the all powefull baddie so what left to do with him?

I thought TP was weaker for having the "look Zant is the baddie, ha ha ha not really" trick thing.

Nicolai wrote:

grumblebuzzz

I hope they use Ganon too. It seems like, from what we know (knew?) of this new Zelda that it takes place after Skyward Sword, when humankind is just beginning to tame the land and build an empire. It would be a perfect time to establish Ganondorf as this epic, evil, immortal entity that follows Link and Zelda throughout the generations. But we'll probably get another lame, one-off villain like Demise (who was Ganon in everything but name, just without the personality).

Edited on by grumblebuzzz

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

grumblebuzzz

@whodatninja: Ghirahim was okay, but I found him hard to take seriously. I was never "scared" of Ghirahim, whereas when I was younger and played OoT, Ganondorf terrified me.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

jump

grumblebuzzz wrote:

I hope they use Ganon too. It seems like, from what we know (knew?) of this new Zelda that it takes place after Skyward Sword, when humankind is just beginning to tame the land and build an empire. It would be a perfect time to establish Ganondorf as this epic, evil, immortal entity that follows Link and Zelda throughout the generations. But we'll probably get another lame, one-off villain like Demise (who was Ganon in everything but name, just without the personality).

They've already did that with Demise chasing them through time and then established Ganondorf in OOT. They could do Ganon's story from the sealing wars, which I'm not sure how it would work since there's no Link at that point.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic