Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 13,521 to 13,540 of 15,210

Eel

In the Oracle games you have three possible rides, whichever you choose decides the layout of a certain area of the map, which makes your ride necessary to explore that area (and continuing the game).

And yeah, she became a staple of the series, but she's not a central gimmick in ocarina, unlike the other vehicles you mention.

If you simply mean all the vehicle gimmicks in general, then the spinner counts too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

I think Epona is a bit more focal and useful as a vehicle than the spinner, haha. I also didn't include the raft for what it's worth.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

KirbyTheVampire

@Haru17 It really annoys me when open world games don't have a "summon horse" button. I quickly stopped using horses both in Skyrim and in BoTW for that reason. They're pretty slow and clunky in those games anyway, although you can at least use them to help you climb mountains in Skyrim.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17

@KirbyTheVampire It was nice when the Dawnguard DLC added in the summon horse spell, but yeah, horses aren't that useful in Skyrim.

KirbyTheVampire

@Haru17 That was definitely a great surprise, although I will say that (People that haven't played through Skyrim should avoid reading this) unless I was using a vampire or just a normal character, I would always find myself using the werewolf form whenever I needed to travel a long distance. The werewolf form is faster than every horse in the game to my knowledge, and I never put points into Conjuration or magic in general with my werewolf characters, aside from maybe a bit of Restoration.

KirbyTheVampire

Nicolai

@Octane If you've ever tried playing SS without the sensor bar, you'll find that Link's 1-to-1 sword-holding (and the Beetle even worse) will drift and will have odd "blind spots," either due to actually drifting or from inadvertently orienting to other infrared light in the room. I had that problem for weeks before I realized what the problem was, and plugged it in. You may be able to re-center the pointer when selecting in the menu, but for whatever reason, that feature isn't available during normal gameplay with the sword.

In fact, it makes me wonder whether the sizable fraction of people who had trouble with the motion controls simply didn't plug in their sensor bars...

The 3DS, Wii U Gamepad, and Joy-cons all have magnometers, so they always know where north is and orient to that.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

@KirbyTheVampire

I actually stopped suing werewolf form out in the world after getting killed a few times on my first file before the Dawnguard buffs came. I think it's really fun, but I became really wary of being set back to the last doorway I exited half way across the hold (no pause menu so no auto saving).
Quicksave should make that better, I just never shook my hesitance I'm afraid.

Edited on by Haru17

sr_388

@Nicolai Yeah, SS needs to be played with the sensor bar. I have found that quite a few people who complain about the controls are people who used wireless sensor bars and turned them off after the initial calibration.

sr_388

KirbyTheVampire

@Haru17 Yeah, I don't blame you. Having to save constantly in games majorly sucks. I'm just glad that many modern games are making use of frequent autosaves. People might think that makes the games easier, but to me it just makes them less frustrating. If I've already gotten through an area, chances are I don't feel like going through it again.

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17

@KirbyTheVampire I actually don't mind manual saving in games — we are in the Zelda thread after all — and manual quicksaves are just so nice. Perhaps long games like Persona and Monster Hunter get a little stressful if you come back from a long dungeon or hunt late at night and can't remember if you've saved or not, so failsave quicksaves are nice. Probably what I hate most is when a game only quicksaves. It works great for optional difficulty modes like Fallout 4's survival mode where only being able to save at beds becomes a mechanic, but games where that's mandatory often feel like they're trying to decieve me.

Octane

@Nicolai Mine was plugged it, the sensor bar wasn't the issue

Anyway, the Joy-Cons clearly don't need a sensor bar (even for pointer controls), so problem solved!

Octane

Dezzy

So I assume we're allowed to talk about it since the frontpage has, well I tried emulating BOTW today. I've still got the Wii U version so I'm not doing anything legally or morally wrong.

I don't have one of those top 5% of PCs but I have a fairly good one so I thought I'd give it a try in the hopes that I could get better performance than on the Wii U.

This has to be the weirdest coincidence but I got almost identical performance as the WiiU version. 30fps on the field and 20-25fps in towns and dense forests. That's seriously bizarre luck. Pretty damn impressive for an emulator for a such a recent console though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

gcunit

For those not interested in people bagging on this wondrous game, here's a page with some happy words about it. Scroll down for the Facebook comments too:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/03/my-favourite-gaming-moments-fro...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haru17

Go to /r/zelda if you want a circle, ahmn, discussion where your message gets downvoted and hidden if you criticize anything about Breath. Though if you ask me the 'power of positivity' is overrated just like the new Zelda ;P

gcunit

My experience of reddit in general is that subreddits are usually not worth the time.

I like the GameCentral pages on Metro because they mostly seem to be about people enjoying video games rather than slating them.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haru17

/r/truezelda isn't that bad, although there is one particularly obnoxious and prolific user I can think of. And everyone seems to think that every detail in Zelda relates to the timeline, lol.

shadow-wolf

@rjejr I mean in the moment I thought that horseback fight was glorious, the best boss fight in any Zelda game ever. At the time of course I was so drawn in that I didn't realize I was essentially playing a game of "shoot the glowy Triforce mark!" with a monster that barely moved.

I still think, had they introduced horseback Bokoblins, had some homing-in attacks from Ganon, and had Ganon move around, it would've been the best boss fight in the series. The scale and music was amazing.

shadow-wolf

rjejr

@shadow-wolf " it would've been the best boss fight in the series. The scale and music was amazing."

I get you. I've never been a fan of the series though, so I don't have any nostalgia good feels for it. My first Zelda game was TP, which I thought was just OK, then I played and hated SS, though it did make TP look good in comparison. I also played WW HD, which was OK I guess. So when I'm playing as Link fighting Ganon I dont' care that it's Link fighting Ganon, just that I have to shoot glowy circles on a big object that really isnt' doing anything either offensively or defensively. The final boss fight in Hyrule Warrirors, w/ giant Ganondorf bombing me to pieces in that big open field was much better.

Spoilers obviosuly:

Of course before I played BotW HW was my favorite Zelda game so don't go by anything I think.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

shadow-wolf

@rjejr That actually looks kinda cool. I mean there's too much going on with those skeleton things on the field and presentation could definitely be improved, but it would've been nice if they adopted something like this for BotW.

shadow-wolf

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic