Forums

Topic: Switch 2020 unannounced game release speculation.

Posts 101 to 120 of 129

Grumblevolcano

@DarkRula Nintendo may count Tour as 9.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SuperSpaghetti

I seriously doubt that considering the arcade games don’t count as main titles, and that most people won’t even know that Deluxe was a ninth game technically. I hope they do make a new game, I don’t care what they call it. It’d be a real shame considering it’s one of their best sellers, but they already have a Mario Kart game and it’s the number one game on Switch, so why would they make a new one?

Future games collector

Toy_Link

@Grumblevolcano
Nintendo doesn't seem to count Super Mario Run as a mainline game for the main Mario series with its lack of appearance on official release date timelines for the Mario series. I don't see why it would be any different for the Mario Kart tour with the Mario Kart series.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

DarkRula

@SuperSpaghetti People keep saying it's sales lost to release a new Mario Kart, and I keep saying how is it? If anything, they gain sales by all those people who would buy a new one, with those who don't yet have a Mario Kart for the system getting the new one rather than 8 Deluxe. They lose nothing by releasing another.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Octane

@DarkRula Developing a new one requires resources and time. The current one is still doing really well in the charts. There is bo incentive for them to release a new one as long as MK8 Deluxe is doing well unfortunately.

Octane

DarkRula

I'm sure you're right with that, but I'll still remain hopeful.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Bolt_Strike

@Octane You could say the same for BotW and yet, we're getting another one. Sales isn't the sole motivation for Nintendo to develop a game, they also make a game when they have enough new ideas. And since MK8D is a Wii U port, they probably have something new in mind for a MK game designed from the ground up on Switch.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

@Bolt_Strike BOTW isn't still topping the charts every week last time I checked.

And add to this, it also depends on how many people are still playing MK8 (online). Releasing a new one means they're essentially competing with themselves. This isn't true for single player games, as you can easily beat one, and move to the next one a week/month later.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

link3710

@DarkRula I guarantee you if it's numbered it'll be 10. There's a reason most worldwide series skip over 10 in there counts with technicalities, and that's cause stuff with 9 doesn't sell well in the east.

link3710

Bolt_Strike

@Octane They probably won't care much about that either. Again, Nintendo is not solely motivated by profits, they've demonstrated that with many of their design decisions and decision making. Whether or not they release another Mario Kart game is most likely going to come down to whether or not they have an idea that they can sell for an additional Mario Kart game. It's just that simple.

Yes they like having evergreen titles that they can update constantly throughout the generation, but MK8D hasn't been treated that way, they just released the game and ignored it for 3 years. If they were planning to update it they would've done so by now. It was probably just re-released because the Wii U didn't have much of a userbase and they wanted to squeeze some more sales out of it on the Switch because it had such a high attach rate on the Wii U. They don't seem to intend for it to be the Mario Kart game Switch owners play for the rest of the console's life, given the radio silence on the Mario Kart front sans Tour, they've probably been working on 9 in that time, and they probably intend for it to be a Switch title because they think it still has a good few years of life left and they haven't designed a game around the Switch's hardware yet.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

SuperSpaghetti

I can see one coming out or at least being announced within the next year or two, considering the Switch is meant to last for years. I don’t see Nintendo waiting 10+ years (not counting Deluxe as it’s a port) to release a brand new title for one of their most popular series.

Future games collector

Anti-Matter

If Mario Kart 9 will be on Nintendo Switch, better it has a Track Studio like on Modnation Racers PS3 where we can create our own tracks.
I'm sure Nintendo Switch's power is strong enough to create custom tracks with props and details.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike I'm leaning towards ARMS 2 being the Mario Kart team's next game.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

@Grumblevolcano I doubt ARMS is getting a sequel. It only sold 2 million copies and it's tough to imagine where else they can go with the idea. It's probably going to be one and done.

Bolt_Strike

Bucky

It is probably too late at this point, but I am surprised they have not dropped the price of ARMS below its previous low of $35, at least for a sale, to get more people to bite.

I know they had some free online tournaments in an attempt to raise interest, but there have been a lot of people who have purchased the Switch since then who missed that chance. Nintendo does not typically have drastic sales on their games, but I think this is a new struggling IP that really would have benefitted from one.

Edited on by Bucky

Bucky

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike Context is important I'd say. ARMS was a new IP that did 2 million, the 2nd best selling new IP of the Switch era so far (1-2-Switch is 1st which was a launch title for the Switch and the milking game became a meme) despite ARMS launching close to Splatoon 2.

As for where to go with the franchise, a story mode would be the first thing that comes to mind. There was a graphic novel announced awhile back that hasn't happened so I'd guess that could form the story for ARMS 2 or it acts as a prequel. Then maybe add in an ARMS character to Smash if there's any 1st party characters incoming (not sure, could be that all DLC except Piranha Plant is 3rd party).

Grumblevolcano

sixrings

Arms sold so well because it launched with the system when there wasn't much games. Same with 1-2 switch.

sixrings

link3710

@Magonigal You're forgetting Xenoblade Chronicles X (Though obviously won't be that at the same time as XC:DE) and The Wonderful 101. Which, the latter of the two was already teased alongside the Bayonetta ports that have since been announced and launched.

There's also the LoZ remasters and technically Star Fox Zero, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and Paper Mario, but I doubt the latter three will happen. The LoZ remasters seem likely at some point or other though.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Given the situation so far, I'd rank from most likely to least likely for chance of the remaining main Wii U ports in 2020. Note that if 1 Zelda HD remaster happens, I think the chances of the other in the same year is extremely unlikely:

Very likely
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD (if BotW 2 is not 2020)
Paper Mario Color Splash
The Wonderful 101

Possible
Fatal Frame 5
Twilight Princess HD (if BotW 2 is not 2020)
NES Remix Pack
Wii Sports Club
Wind Waker HD (if BotW 2 is 2020)

Very unlikely
Twilight Princess HD (if BotW 2 is 2020)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (unlikely for 2020 because of Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition)
Yoshi's Woolly World (unlikely for 2020 because of Yoshi's Crafted World)
Star Fox Zero + Guard
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Sonic Lost World
Nintendo Land

I put Pikmin 3 and Color Splash so high because if I recall correctly the biggest franchises not on Switch once Animal Crossing is released are Pikmin and "Mario RPG" (Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi) so ports would be an easy way to get that on the system and then later follow up with a new game for Pikmin (I don't think Pikmin 4 is cancelled, rather Mario Odyssey and the next 3D Mario got in the way).

Grumblevolcano

Sorry, this topic has been locked.