Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,101 to 4,120 of 4,257

GoldenGamer88

@NaviAndMii Grillers can be a real pain when playing with randoms as they require the most teamwork out of all bosses you‘ll encounter in Salmon Run. If you‘re the one the Griller‘s after, try to stay calm and position yourself so your teammates have a better time hitting the tail. If you‘re in a bit of a pickle, try to lure them away so your teammates can reorganize and gather all the Eggs you‘ve got so far in the basket. If anyone else has it, try to stay out of the Grillers way as best as possible, try to communicate with the one being hunted where to go and hit its tail as often as possible. Voice Chat could make this boss so much easier.

Their Smallfries are still worse than the Griller itself imho lol.

Have a nice day/ good night!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88
Currently playing: Monster Hunter World (PS4), Splatoon 2 (NSW)
Most anticipated: Ni No Kuni II (PS4), Bayonetta 1+2 (NSW)

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Dev

@NaviAndMii: Get rid of the Smallfries that accompany them ASAP if you have a good enough weapon. That way when the Griller gets stunned, you won't get distracted while you take out its extremely high HP. Chargers are great against Grillers, but terrible against Smallfries, so keep that mind.

Lost Outpost is my favorite Salmon Run map, but I seem to have the hardest time with Grillers there than elsewhere.

Edited on by Dev

Dev

Maxz

@NaviAndMii Grillers can't move up vertical ledges - even small ones. They have to take the ramps. Inklings can swim up most surfaces, which is a major advantage over the Grillers. By positioning yourself at the top of a sheer ledge, you can hop off whenever a Griller approaches you, meaning it will have to turn around take the long way down to find you. Abusing this inability to climb and descend verticality (like Darleks) is a pretty good technique to abuse.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: S+ | TC: S+ | RM: S+ | CB: S+
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly

NaviAndMii

@MarcelRguez @GoldenGamer88 @Dev @Maxz Thanks everyone! Really helpful advice!

Do the Smallfries, like the Grillers, only go after the targeted player(s)? (I find it hard to tell in the chaos of it all!) ..so I should pay special attention to who is targeted and position myself accordingly? ..and act as 'bait' if I'm the one targeted?

My natural inclination has always been to bunch together with my teammates (a tactic that works really well in the Rush wave) so that we can concentrate our combined firepower on the enemies - and that's likely where I've been going wrong - probably best to spread out a bit instead, keeping a close eye on the laser pointers throughout

Great stuff - thanks very much!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 X360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MDC 🎮 NSW 🎮

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 61, CB: A, RM: A, SZ: A, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCat★

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Kimyonaakuma

@NaviAndMii I think the Smallfries start attacking/following first player that they see, I'd assume that Grillers do the same but their laser gives it away anyway.

-The fireflies that show up sometimes make you a default target for most enemies, but I don't know how they decide on what player to swarm around. Maybe it's just random?

I usually write WAAAAY TOO MUCH!
...so I'll apologise now in advance.

GoldenGamer88

@NaviAndMii I‘d say being with your team whilst being targeted by a Griller is the worst idea one could have as it endangers your entire team of being splatted. Unless you‘re on Spawning Grounds and stand on the little ramp right by the basket, where you can hit the tail. Basically wherever the Griller needs to turn its back to you en route to you is a place where concentrate fire power might do the trick, albeit with the risk of other players being splatted.

The idea of grouping together during Rush also focuses the place the Salmonids rush to no matter who the Fireflies are on. The concentrate fire power is a good idea, though, I‘d recommend your team take turns defending the team in a group of two‘s. This way, the others can deliver eggs and refills their tanks. Though communicating this can be difficult with randoms.

NaviAndMii

@Kimyonaakuma @GoldenGamer88 Thanks for your replies! I've somehow managed to work my way through all of the pay grades - right through to Profreshional - without ever really knowing how to approach that particular wave! ..I just began to notice a bit of a pattern where, whenever the Griller wave would crop up, my team often wouldn't do so well - which made me suspect that perhaps I needed to work on my approach! ..but I was finding it a bit too frantic (at 200ish%) to get a proper grasp of what was going wrong, so I really appreciate your help!

I can approach my next Griller wave with newfound belief and confidence now!

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 61, CB: A, RM: A, SZ: A, TC: A)

Kimyonaakuma

@NaviAndMii You're welcome! Now go get those Grillers!

I wish I was that good but I always seem to get a weapon that I'm bad with when things get tough. I'm also just an average Splatoon player so maybe more work will improve my skills. I will be a Profreshional one day!

I usually write WAAAAY TOO MUCH!
...so I'll apologise now in advance.

Dev

This isn't anything new, but it's still something interesting. There was another instance of Marina having changed dialogue when introducing Moray Towers in a Splatfest.
Mayo vs. Ketchup
Untitled
Sci-Fi vs. Fantasy
Untitled
I guess Nintendo wanted to soften up Marina.

Dev

Zyrac

NaviAndMii wrote:

I've somehow managed to work my way through all of the pay grades - right through to Profreshional - without ever really knowing how to approach that particular wave!

Nothing against you - lord knows it took me a while to figure out Grillers myself (and they're still blooming hard) - but this reminds me to say I wish there were a rank above Profreshional. Not because Profreshional isn't hard enough, but because some of the players aren't good enough. Yesterday I almost got demoted because of people who thought it was a good use of their time to guard eggs by the shore (tip: it generally isn't), and after a while I got fed up and stopped playing. That was an unusually bad day, at least, but more generally I always make sure to take out Flyfish myself, because so many people seem to be useless at doing so.

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.
Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Fullblox levels | Mario Maker levels | ACNL Dream Address: 6E00 000F 65D2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

@Zyrac Yeah, I agree! I've always had a natural inclination to prioritise survival above all else in shooting games - and as it turns out, figuring out how to stay alive can take you a long way in Salmon Run! ..but you'd expect the top, top Pay Grade to be reserved for the most well-rounded of players - a bit like S Rank in Ranked mode - to ensure that you only get matched with the most competent of teammates for the top tier challenge

Plus, as I was saying, I was struggling to really get a handle of what I could be doing better because of how frantic the action is at Profreshional level - if the pacing/progression was a little better, it may make for a smoother learning curve...which would be better for everyone, I think

Fortunately, I've managed to get some good advice here - and at other times I've managed to pick up some good techniques just by watching my teammates, or thanks to some effective communication - but that's the sort of thing that should be part of the learning process (at lower Ranks/Pay Grades) ..the balance just seems a bit off in Salmon Run from that point of view

Caldorosso-E

I have a rough time reaching Profreshional +100 unless I get one or who really good, communicating team mates.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none.
~~/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM~~
-Verified Cheese Aficionado and Abecedarian Author-

GoldenGamer88

@Caldorosso-E Yeah, me too. I swear to god, some periods, the game just loves to give me really incompetent teammates who go off doing their own thing and don‘t care if one of us is down. Even got me de-ranked at one point because of them. Somehow the teammates in the rank below communicated a lot better so I reached Profreshional in the same period but still. Maybe some new Vicarious CEO rank or something that is harder to reach than the others so the good are really separated from the bad.

Dev

Am I alone in thinking the Stinger is even more annoying than the Flyfish? I can't stand it when there's two or more of them and try to get rid of them ASAP. Flyfishes only really bother me when there's high tide or I keep getting mixed in with other crewmates' movements. I know Stingers target the Inkling that's farthest away, but that doesn't seem to be the case too much with me!

Dev

Caldorosso-E

Flyfish are annoying once two show up, but any combo of Stinger + Boss is bad too.

~~/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM~~

Zyrac

I do think Flyfish have a somewhat exaggerated reputation, possibly due to less experienced players having trouble killing them at all (as I mentioned in my last post). They are terrible in packs, but so are Stingers and Drizzlers. Flyfish are probably still the worst thing to get swarmed by, but not by that huge of a margin.

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.
Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Fullblox levels | Mario Maker levels | ACNL Dream Address: 6E00 000F 65D2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

GoldenGamer88

I feel like any boss is annoying when there‘s more than one of it, especially on opposite ends of the map. But yeah, Flyfish, Drizzlers and Stingrays are pretty much the most annoying common bosses. They are nothing to the real menace, though ... Smallfry. I hate these vermin so much! You hardly notice them but they can splat you in a few hits, especially when you take extra damage from a Drizzler.

Not knowing how to deal with a boss aside, I feel like a large amount of Profreshionals still focus way too much on delivering the Golden Eggs and not so much on the actual survival of the team. 'Oh, a mate‘s down, I better go revive him' doesn‘t occur to so many Inklings, I had to slowly crawl my way to the basket whilst screaming 'HELP!' at the top of my lungs so many times it‘s not even funny anymore. Or how about protecting the two Flyfish destroying mates/the Charger who‘s getting ready to destroy a Steelhead from oncoming Chum and Cohock? Or staying with/quickly returning to a mate that just got splatted right before my eyes?

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

NaviAndMii

The advice that you guys gave me about how best to tackle Griller's has worked a treat! Thanks so, so much! (..again!) I can't believe that it took me so long to identify them as a weakness of mine, but now that I have a better understanding of how they move and how best to approach them - it's been a game changer! (..now all I have to worry about is the general level of competence of my teammates! Haha!)

It's true what you guys are saying about Drizzler's and Flyfish above...because they're generally pretty tough to defeat all by yourself (especially if you have regular Salmonids to deal with as well) they can kind of overwhelm you if the team isn't careful!

I'd also throw Steelhead's in to the mix as well - not that they're overly difficult to get rid of or anything - I just seem to fairly regularly come across teammates who just seem to totally ignore them...and if you find yourselves in a situation where 4 or 5 of them are spawned simultaneously (particularly in a confined space) it's pretty much game over! ..all good fun though!

Zyrac

Couple tips for dealing with Steelhead gangs: if you have two Steelheads next to each other and you wait for them to both be vulnerable, you can kill one and the explosion will take out the other. A well-timed Splashdown will also take out nearby Steelheads, which can be a good option if there are a bunch of other Salmonids around. It's effective on Stingers in a pinch, too. (In general it's a good idea to use your specials proactively when they'll be particularly effective, instead of waiting until your team is almost wiped out.)

As for Drizzlers, they aim their missiles towards the nearest Inkling; knowing this can help you deflect them back for a quick kill. If you're not in a position to do that, you can also try and trick the Drizzler into firing towards the ocean.

Caldorosso-E

I'm surprised at the number of people who don't know about the Drizzler quick kill.

My team mates must think I'm a wizard.

~~/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM~~

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic