Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 2,064

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Yeah, most of the changes were to things that weren't exactly a huge deal on their own. But dang, World changed a lot of them. But I'll adapt, ha.

I'd be down with hunting (assuming by net holds up). I find I actually play through MH games (single and multi) if I have a fairly consistent hunting group. Tri? 200+ hours. Freedom Unite? I think I got to... 4 or 5 star quests (no gathering hall)? 3U? About the same (less for gathering hall). 4U? 150+ hours (which is actually thanks to fellow NLife users). World? Got to HR, took a few months break, came back about a week ago, got to 8 star quests, trying out the bow. I'd just like to say how much I love SOS. It solves several problems I had with the lobbies in older MH games when trying to play with randoms (now if only people would respond to mine...).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I like the idea, and SOS would probably work in a game like MHGenUlt, but it never really worked well for me in World thanks to the massive influx of noobs, who would join and then sit at the base camp and do nothing, then reap the rewards after I beat the Quest solo or with one other person, or better yet, run up to the monster and get carted in one hit, then make their way back and cart a second time in one hit, then make their way back and cart a third time within a matter of 60 seconds...

I cannot express to you how utterly frustrating that is, especially for a hard quest against an elder dragon that's been dragging on for 25 minutes, or better yet on a limited quest with gold drops. Eventually I just got to the point I stopped using it all together. I pretty much just hunted solo, or with my brother. I found that when I hunted with randoms I would fail the quest 2-3 times out of 5, and even when I didn't we came too close for comfort. Whereas when I hunted solo I would never fail a quest. And even when you did find somebody reliable that you could count on they would never be there for the next quest, even if they were in the same lobby as you!

So ya, needless to say I did not like the online experience of that game. It just ended up being a solo experience for me, brother aside. And it felt so lonely because you couldn't see anyone where it dropped you off because it wouldn't put you in the gathering hall so you would have 16 different people and none of you could see each other and everyone was off doing their own thing or doing a quest but they would lock it out so that nobody else could join... it was a mess. Idk.

But yeah I know I'll definitely be hunting and my brother is a friend so he will be hunting so if you ever join that's three people right there which is enough to do hunts efficiently as is. But I'm sure there will be plenty of people here to make 4 person parties with.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Joeynator3000

I'm not buying the same game twice, so....yeah. Not only that, I really don't want to go through all of it again just to get back to where I am now on XX.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep the main channel PG-ish.

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Whaaat?! Most SOSes I've joined have gone great. No leechers, no massive noob influx (I get the former in Fortnite frequently, lol). I mean, yeah, sometimes you fail, but that's normal...

That said, my join rate is the exact opposite, and I have no idea why. I can join others just fine (with the odd failure now and then), so surely the opposite would hold true... but then, networking is a pain sometimes. Granted, I do see others with no takers from time to time, and few will join after 10 minutes. Maybe I'm just grossly unlucky?

I thought I heard (and saw, actually) that you can now interact with others in the gathering hall. I know I recently saw two players arm wrestling in a stream.

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I think you could always do that, but you would both have to go out of your way to go up to the gathering hall every single time you came back from a quest, which just wasted more time than it was worth. Maybe they're dropping people off in the gathering hall now, Idk. I burned through the game pretty quickly so I was done playing before the end of February even rolled around.

And it may be different now, since the only people who are still playing are probably the more hard-core fans so you are more likely to get people who know what they are doing. But when I was playing right at the games launch it was a crapshoot with SOS. And if 50% of the time you're getting somebody who's not going to contribute or make you fail a hard fought quest, the odds aren't in your favor and it just gets to a point it's not worth the risk.

Of course people would join within 30 seconds of shooting a flare. There was absolutely no shortage of people. Problem was the quality of those people joining

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Huh... I kinda wish I had gotten SOS responders near launch, just to see if I got similar results. It's kind of weird how we got opposite experiences. Even near launch, I don't recall too many issues when I joined SOSes.

Which was your primary platform? I'm on XB1, which I actually expected to be super noob-filled, given that Monster Hunter avoided Xbox consoles like the plague in the west (ironically, Frontier was PC and 360 exclusive in Japan for a while, haha).

Although, I also figured that PS4 would have the bigger player base. And bigger player bases have a higher number of.... unsavory types.

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
PS4. Wanted to play on X1, but no crossplay killed that idea.

And I'm pretty sure you would've had the same experience because it wasn't a one time thing, it was pretty consistent, and not just me either about my brother as well (and quite often both of us while hunting together- many a Nerg Quest was lost due to some goof joining the Quest and triple carting in 5 min flat). In fact there were entire reddit posts about it it was so bad. Pretty much the entire community on Reddit was saying they were all hunting alone because of the horrible people who would join your quests and ruin them or free load. It was a pretty big deal back at launch. People were pretty much banding together online to hunt so they knew they had reliable people on their squad.

We finally just started locking our quests to 2 people so no one else could join. That was the only way we could play the game reliably. There were a few really great hunters we ran into and I think one or two of them I even ended up friending but, they weren't always on or sometimes they were hunting with others so, then chili you have to resort to random's or settle it that you're just going to do it yourself.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Yikes. I just fought Nergigante in the story (not very fun to fight). I was able to get him (carted twice, though thankfully not early on, and both times were cheap shots. Hit him three times after the 2nd cart and he died). Now I'm farming him to get a C. Blade, and the help is welcome. Most hunts have failed, but thankfully it's not three carts in the first five minutes (and definitely not deliberate). Maybe it's a good thing I took a break for a few months. All the trolls and undesirables filtered out of HR (if not the game as a whole), with only the real hunters remaining.

Still, I wish I had a proper hunting group like with Tri and 4U. Freedom Unite was either solo or XLink kai with G rank players who curbstomped everything too fast, and 3U...I felt like it was hard to get anything done. You join a room for one monster, and they're doing a completely different one. Or they join your room and post a different quest.

I'm hoping that maybe they'll add World to Game Pass someday, so if my friend ever resubs I can for- ahem convince him to try it out.

Tsurii

I really need to get around to finishing up the village quests + requests soonish... I want to knock out at least those before I start GU but...ffxv, SMT SJR, Mario + Rabbids, still low-ish motivation after losing the stupid file (and World ruining the fun in MH yet again lately)... I don't have time for that stuff. I mean, I do have the time for it cause I'm off work for July and a lazy slob but...dont have the time

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

toiletduck

So after all of @JaxonH propaganda I am getting somewhat hyped for this. Still have to play the 3DS demo, but I feel like I'll dip in to this in the end.

Noob question on multiplayer here: if I would go hunting with fellow NL'ers or other friends, how would communication work? I don't have a specific gaming headset and I'm not really planning on buying one. Would I just use the Switch Online app for my smartphone to be able to use voice chat? Or am I missing something here?

toiletduck

JaxonH

@toiletduck

Probably not gonna have voice chat, but you don't really need it anyways. People have been hunting for years without it, aside from 2 specific entries that had voice chat.

Present in game messages are best. You can make custom preset messages also, or type in real time. But preset messages are super quick and easy. "I'll lay a trap!" or "let's sleep bomb him!", etc.

But ya, the game has a shortcut for signaling when you find a monster, and you can use a quick preset message to remind people not to kill in a capture quest, things like that.

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Have they removed the character limit that req

requires you to split typed messages? It's re

really annoying.

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Not sure. I never type that much. Everything I say is done in one preset message- I don't waste my time trying to type out to have conversations- I'd rather have conversations here after we're done hunting.

And pretty much all the communication can be fit in a very short sentence- set a trap! I'll lay bombs! Don't kill the monster! Chop chop- babuy tail! Etc etc

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Most of my typing was in the lobby. Same with 4U. I just hated how broken up conversations are, and we're well past the era of strict character limitations.

Also, weird censoring. I remember “after“ was considered a naughty word in Tri. “Wanna go hunt Rathalos *****?“

ReaderRagfish

Am I the only one who doesn't like how the newer Monster Hunter games started trying to have a storyline? I liked it better in the PSP days where they just said "Hey hunter, welcome to the village. Now go out and stab things" and that was it.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Joeynator3000

I liked the story in 4U...that and the cutscenes and all that, was irritated to see that Generations/GU went back to having barely any story at all. And the cutscenes were even worse than the older games.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep the main channel PG-ish.

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Get that keyboard joycon attachment

NOW PLAYING
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Tsurii

4U barely had a story at all as well...they just threw a cutscene at you for every "hunter nice person, hunter helped beat bad, big lizard"

We need to stop acting like that game did more than two things right: new monsters and...well, one thing.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic