Forums

Topic: Mario Vs Donkey Kong ‘24

Posts 61 to 80 of 90

card-crunch78

I just tried the demo, pretty fun. However I think I'll wait until the game gets to be like $30 before I consider a purchase.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

FishyS

IceDomino wrote:

I just tried the demo, pretty fun. However I think I'll wait until the game gets to be like $30 before I consider a purchase.

Given the fact that Nintendo rarely has sales better than 30%... you may be waiting forever. 😝 There will 100% be a $35 sale after a reasonable wait though.

My original plan was to wait for a $35 sale, but my willpower is weakening after playing the demo.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

card-crunch78

@FishyS I just feel like I’ll spend $60 on a game that I’ll end up beating in a single day.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

FishyS

@IceDomino Totally valid, I was just pointing out the likely eventual sale price. In the US at least, the game is $50 and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a holiday 2024 sale of 30% off which is $35.

I wonder how long the game actually is. howlongtobeat claims the original game is 10 hours to 100%. The new game has 130 rather than 90 levels, so maybe 15 hours? Definitely a game you could beat in a weekend, although Mario Wonder was as well. Personally I try to stretch puzzle games out over months and play a little at a time.

Either way, I do wish the game was a little cheaper. I'm still undecided myself.

FishyS

MarioVillager92

I do wanna play the demo soon. Though, I am in the middle of transferring my save data to my Switch OLED at this moment, lol... only thing that remains is my Animal Crossing island.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

card-crunch78

@FishyS It's why for "Tears of the Kingdom", I only play two shrines a day. At the moment my goal for that game is to wait until the end of February (started in December) to take on the final boss. Give myself a "time limit" even though there isn't one in the game, you know?

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Ironcore

@IceDomino I absolutely love that, both the savouring of the games and the self imposed time limit.

I tend to do the same but thats probably more to do with my adhd or something. Even when I’m having a great time doing something I just need a wee break from it.

I also do self imposed restrictions, usually in games which I have already completed, the tldr is that I dont use a meta build.

Ironcore

Croctopus

I always thought this game's soundtrack was underrated, so I love that they seemed to have put more effort into the music in this remake. I can't get enough of the redone title theme.

Can't wait to hear the swing music at Spooky House, the tribal music at Mystic Forest and the music for the true final boss battle that already hits so hard!

Whirling Deep Cut Fan

Switch Friend Code: SW-6880-0040-8826 | Twitter:

CRB1984

I’ve never played a single Mario vs. Donkey Kong game so I’m super curious about this remake!

To those that have played the OG version, is the $49.99 USD a fair price?

Switch Name: CRB1984
FC: SW-5658-8476-2295

Croctopus

As per usual for new Nintendo releases these days, there's NSO icons released for this game out now.

Also as per usual, there's spoilers on YouTube before launch. No biggie since this is just a remake.

Whirling Deep Cut Fan

Switch Friend Code: SW-6880-0040-8826 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

I just need to point out that I love the renamed thread title. Also made me realize, 20 year anniversary of the original game, 30 year anniversary of Donkey Kong 94. Of all games to get any sort of anniversary celebrations. Take that Megaman fans! (...now I'm sad again)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FishyS

I wish that had added multiple character options in the remake. I want to play Toadette vs DK.

FishyS

Nintoz

I don't know if this is really a spoiler especially for a game like this but I'll tag it anyway
It's a shame that Mario never says the iconic line "Come back here you big monkey" and how DK doesn't really...cry at the end. He's just angry. That sounds like an incredibly nitpicky to care about but it's just strange what they've chosen to be identical to the original and what they haven't

Nintoz

Atomic77

I have a feeling this game will be on a lot of people’s lists as a very popular title.

Atomic77
Nintendo Switch OLED Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Edition Gamer

MarioVillager92

I should mention that I played the demo a good while ago, and I did like it. I do have the original GBA version via the 3DS ambassador program so I'm not too in a rush to get the Switch remake... so I think I'll wait for a sale or have it as a Christmas gift.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Fizza

I never got around to giving my thoughts on the demo for MvsDK when it initially came out (cheers for inadvertedly reminding me @MarioLover92) and I honestly really liked it! It's criminally short (giving us World 1 in its entirety to tinker with would've been fine I think) but the graphical style is very pleasing if a tad generic (the cutscenes are absolutely fantastic though, 10/10 for those alone), the gameplay/Mario's moveset is super fun to mess around with and, in what is easily the most shocking thing about the game, the music is actually incredible??? Like the songs I've heard so far are just this insanely captivating mix of immensely catchy rhythms, classic Mario funk and underground garage-band vibes (Mario Toy Company C is easily one of my new favourite songs in the franchise and I'm not even kidding).

Overall I had a pretty great time with it and it really makes me want to grab the full-game later down the line once it goes on sale (I enjoyed what I played, but I don't think I enjoyed it enough to fork out €50 for a spruced-up GBA game XD).

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

rallydefault

Well, I just finished the regular campaign in 1-2 hours, getting perfect on each level (not difficult in the slightest except for a couple of the World 8 levels) and saw the "ending," though there are TONS of bonus levels and extra worlds and such after you beat the game. And time attacks for every single stage, of course.

I did not play the original back on the Game Boy Advance.

However, one of my favorite games on my Game Boy as a kid was Donkey Kong '94. Like, seriously, absolute top-5 for me when I was like 8 years old, and this basically feels like that game, just with a bit more going on. The jumping, the rope climbing, the bar swinging, etc. all have that heavy physics to them, with the odd exception of Mario's backflip and double backflip out of the handstand feeling very sprightly and light in contrast. I did have a handful of deaths from bogus-seeming hit detection that frustrated me, and sometimes picking up objects can be a pain (especially in the mini Mario levels and Donkey Kong matches). The timer actually surprised me a couple worlds in; I ran out on a smattering of stages trying to figure out what to do the first time through, even on the regular levels.

I've started sampling the plus world stages and expert stages, and they absolutely are a step up in difficulty. The time attacks also make you view the stages in different ways, though I can't really see myself completing all of them. I think there is challenge here, but only after the regular campaign.

Fun little game overall that I can see myself coming back to from time to time. Not worth 50 bucks in my opinion for people who don't want to 100% it, but I would spring for it on sale if you like little puzzlers with light platforming, just don't expect traditional 2D Mario physics - he controls like a ton of bricks, which has always been the charm with these games. I do think there could be 10ish hours for those who want to fully complete the game.

rallydefault

Dogorilla

I was just wondering, has Kevin Afghani recorded new voice lines for this game or have they reused Charles Martinet's ones from the original? (I know they've tragically removed some of the iconic lines like 'come back here, you big monkey' but there must still be some grunts and "let's-a go"s and that kind of thing)

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Sisilly_G

@Dogorilla : Charles Martinet voices Mario in this game. Spotted his name in the credits. I was actually really impressed throughout, assuming that it might have been Afghani (although it sounded exactly like Martinet's performance to my ears), but it turned out to be old mate Martinet all along.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Dogorilla

@Sisilly_G Thanks - good to know Martinet hasn't been excised from all Mario games going forward!

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic